From K-r to K-30
I switched from Pentax K-r to K-30, which is partially a successor (stilll a Pentax´s entry level), but partially a higher level (especially in comparison to C/N entry level models). Everyone can read the specs, so I won´t repeat them, but comparing to the competition from Canon (650D) or Nikon (D5100/5200) the K-30 highlights are weather-sealed body and 100% pentaprism viewfinder.
Things that differentiate K-30 from K-r or which mean improvements:
- new sensor: the famous Sony 16 Mpx sensor is a level higher than K-r´s 12 Mpx, it has better DR and handles higher ISO (I´d say 1/2 EV better as regards the noise).
- the viewfinder: it is really brighter, clearer and bigger and together with 100% coverage (WYSIWYG) makes composing and framing a picture a real pleasure, on par with high-end APSC DSLRs.
- better ergonomics: bigger handgrip makes handling better and safer, even with fast lenses or telezooms.
- weather sealing adds sureness that the camera is not in threat in rain/snow/sand (common holiday environment).
- addition of AF-S/AF-C/MF external switch is very useful (the K-r had an extrernal switch for AF/MF only, thus making user go to the menu for AF-C setting).
- addition of RAW/JPEG external switch.ň
- addition of second control wheel equals K-30 to high-end DSLRs and allows setting of all shooting modes without putting the eye away from VF.
- Live view AF is much faster that in K-r (which was almost useless)
- focus peaking in LV mode is fantastic, makes LV focusing a pleasure (especially in manual mode).
- video is full HD (but I do not care for video at all).
I have encountered only two issues where Kŕ was better:
-K-30´s start-up time seems a bit longer then K-r,
- K-r had a possibility to search for dust on the sensor by taking a special picture which showed dust parts on the sensor (the K-30 lost this feature for unknown reason).
As it is clear from the list of pros and cons, the K-30 is a huge improvement from the K-r, getting really close to higher-positioned K-5 (and in some features outperforming it, e.g. the live view focusing). For the price it can be bought nowadays it is a must-have option.
|Average community score||
|See all 6 reviews »|
bad for good for
|Kids / pets||
|Action / sports||
|Landscapes / scenery||
|Low light (without flash)||
|Flash photography (social)||
|Studio / still life||
= community average
|Hot Air Balloons Over Bagan by User9320321874|
|Yellow Warbler by LeeS|
from A Big Year - birds
|Waiting for the Parade by tcoker1103|
from - La Vida Loca - (Black and White Street Photography+ A Border)