Any Nikon P330 experiences?

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
joachim05 Regular Member • Posts: 373

Hi,

In my part of the world, the new Nikon P330 seems now available for the general public to buy.  I still see very little discussion of it here or anywhere else.  Also I only seem to be able to get the samples available from Nikon.

Anyone seen anything or has experiences to share?

Thanks

Joachim

Nikon Coolpix P330
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 11,542
Re: Any Nikon P330 experiences?

Don't own one, haven't seen one (so far no help right?) but it's got the same sensor as the P7700 so I imagine the IQ is the same.  As far as handling etc I'm as curious as you.

jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405

Anyone own one yet?

tkpatric Senior Member • Posts: 1,578
 tkpatric's gear list:tkpatric's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony a6000
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 11,542

Hellllllooooooo, is anybody out there?  Helllllllllooooooooo....

mjdundee Contributing Member • Posts: 804

click.............................. click................................... click................................................

mjdundee's gear list:mjdundee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +3 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 18,629
Remember, this is a worldwide forum, and as such....

Asking a general question about a specific release, may net you silence in some cases.  It's not been released (or should I say, It's not available yet) in the USA.  As for Europe, somebody else can chime in.  But in any event, the camera is pretty new, so you're not going to get much response.  I do hope however, that this P330 provides a real alternative (well, a Nikon alternative) to the Canon S100/S110 series.

What's nice is that Nikon listened to us with regards to RAW and other more advanced features (in particular, a larger sensor) when it came to the P330.  But in the case of the P510, all they did was ignore our requests and then issue the same sensor with even more MP's, no hot shoe, and no RAW - c'mon Nikon wassssss up wid dat!!!!!

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 +45 more
OP joachim05 Regular Member • Posts: 373

Hi,

There is now a ephotozine review available: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-coolpix-p330-review-21566  They are always quite quick getting something out.

Looking at the samples, green gras turning into a mush seems a bit of an issue, but perhaps i am just asking to much from a pocket camera.

RAW write times are also an issue similar to the P7700.  Why are these files 24 MB?  Saw some speculation for the P7700 that the files are 14-bit, but never saw such a claim from Nikon.  Anyone knows the bit-depth for certain?

Villalobos Junior Member • Posts: 26

Pictures and more experiences are here on the boards.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3450427

turboBB
turboBB Regular Member • Posts: 161

Just got it in and haven't had much time to play around with it but so far two major cons for me (and potential deal-breakers) are:

Menu - sluggish during selection; there is a slight delay from when you hit the Menu button to before the choices come up and then during navigation, if it needs to go into a Sub-menu, there's another slight delay. Nothing at all like the instantaneous response of DMC-LX7.

Charging - is achieved solely through USB port on the camera thus you won't be able to use the camera with a spare while charging. Not sure if there is a optional charger but would've preferred the standard wall wart where you can charge the battery independently of the camera. EDIT: and it uses a non-standard USB cable at that so you can't simply use the nearly ubiquitous mini/micro connectors currently out there. When traveling, you'll need to carry this extra cable at a minimum since output of charger is at least standard (5V, .55A)

Will post additional thoughts later after I've had some additional time to use it.

Cheers,
Tim

jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405

If the delay is 'slight" why are you upset?

Does anyone have an external charger solution ??

areichow Senior Member • Posts: 1,585

Ugh, I really would've liked to hear that they abandoned the weird proprietary connector and gone with micro USB.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sony RX100 NEX5R Sony Alpha a7
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
Charger here...

turboBB wrote:

Charging - is achieved solely through USB port on the camera thus you won't be able to use the camera with a spare while charging. Not sure if there is a optional charger but would've preferred the standard wall wart where you can charge the battery independently of the camera. EDIT: and it uses a non-standard USB cable at that so you can't simply use the nearly ubiquitous mini/micro connectors currently out there. When traveling, you'll need to carry this extra cable at a minimum since output of charger is at least standard (5V, .55A)

Nikon MH-65 Battery Charger

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577815-REG/Nikon_25782_MH_65_Battery_Charger.html

Pearstone Compact Charger for EN-EL12

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/711141-REG/Pearstone_ADCNIENEL12_Compact_Charger_for_EN_EL12.html

Pearstone also makes a generic EN-EL12 and a double charger.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+en-el12&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more

jimr wrote:

Does anyone have an external charger solution ??

Nikon MH-65 Battery Charger

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577815-REG/Nikon_25782_MH_65_Battery_Charger.html

Pearstone Compact Charger for EN-EL12

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/711141-REG/Pearstone_ADCNIENEL12_Compact_Charger_for_EN_EL12.html

I'm also not a fan of in-camera charging, but fortunately there are at least two inexpensive wall chargers, and since the EN-EL12 has been around for awhile, I'm certain there are dozens of even cheaper ones on Ebay.

Looks like a nice little camera.  Cheers, Markus

Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
tristanik Junior Member • Posts: 26

Just got the Nikon P330 and already regret that i bought it!

No external charger!

No wind filter when shooting video!

AF hunting when shooting video!

You can hear the AF noise on the video!

tristanik's gear list:tristanik's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-3

tristanik wrote:

Just got the Nikon P330 and already regret that i bought it!

So why not return it if you are not happy?

I'm planning on buying one this weekend.  And based on the images I've seen, which look almost identical to the P7700, I'm sure I'll have no regrets at all.  But I'm not that picky about things like that at this price point, as long as IQ is good.  And from what I've seen it's excellent with this camera.

No external charger!

You can buy a charger and an extra battery for 8 USD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EN-EL12-Battery-Charger-for-NIKON-S610-S610C-S620-S630-/360604264182?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item53f5b066f6

No wind filter when shooting video!

Wind filters work by cutting the high or low frequencies which are often present on wind noise.  All video editors from the high end like Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas Pro to the low end like iMove and Sony Vegas Home Edition have the ability to edit sound.  Using a combination of high pass, low-pass and notch filter is the very best way to eliminate wind noise.  My GH2 has a "wind filter" and all it does is muffles the sound of the wind by cutting the offending frequencies.  It's OK, but hardly eliminates the sound as well as you can do in an editor.

From what I've read, the Canon S110 has a wind filter, but I've read a few complaints that it doesn't do all that much.  I couldn't say, but I do know that I'd rather have the wider range of frame rates, 1080 / 60i, 50i, 30p, 25p and 24p that the P330 offers than the S110, which only has offers 1080 / 24p.

AF hunting when shooting video!

I've seen four P330 videos on YouTube and not one of them show any AF hunting at all.  But depending on light levels, even very expensive, high end DSLRs will hunt, especially in low-contrast scenes.

You can hear the AF noise on the video!

This is the case with pretty much all cameras.  The S110, RX100, P7700, MX-1, XZ-2, X10, et al. all have good quality condensor mics which pick up even the slightest noise.  If you are doing any serious video productions where audio is important, you are better off with a camera like the P7700 that has a hot-shoe which will allow you to mount an external shotgun microphone.  This will lessen noise picked up close to the camera.

Good luck, Markus

turboBB

jimr wrote:

Upset isn't the right word, it's not like I'm stuck with it. However, let's put it this way; Why would anyone ever desire a delay when operating a device meant to capture potentially once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that is time sensitive?  It's not like Nikon can't achieve this since it doesn't happen on the D5200 or D7100 and while the P330 isn't in the same price bracket, neither is my DMC-LX5 (correction from earlier where I typed LX7) nor SX230HS. Point is, the product/project manager decided this was "good enough" for release and I'm sure there are many who will accept it as is but I'm not one of them as I have other choices.

Before the fanboys jump in all up in arms, my comments are not meant to bash this camera. This is a post relating owner experiences and I posted my feelings FWIW.

Hopefully this can be addressed via firmware (unless the processor is underspec'd and causing the delays) as it otherwise is a fairly nice P&S but just doesn't fit my particular needs.

I've already boxed it up to be sent back so don't really have much else to contribute to this thread.

turboBB wrote:

Just got it in and haven't had much time to play around with it but so far two major cons for me (and potential deal-breakers) are:

Menu - sluggish during selection; there is a slight delay from when you hit the Menu button to before the choices come up and then during navigation, if it needs to go into a Sub-menu, there's another slight delay. Nothing at all like the instantaneous response of DMC-LX7.

The Menu navigation doesn't look "sluggish during selection" at all in this video, in fact I don't see any significant delays at all.  Menus may not be blazing fast like the Nikon 1 cameras (few cameras are), but you'd have to be able to distinguish between milliseconds to notice any difference at all between the P330 and LX7 menu performance (and I've owned the LX7 in the past).

P330 Hands On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwP7KzIBgqk

Anyway, menu speed, based on what I've seen, sounds like a manufactured nit-pick if you ask me.  Perhaps you are already searching for reasons to return it.  

The problem is people use these forums to make purchasing decisions, and giving out inaccurate information makes this forum a much less useful research tool.

I also dislike USB charging, but it's a growing trend to cut costs.  But I've already posted a link to the Nikon charger (it's 24.95 USD).  You can also buy a generic one with an included EN-EL12 battery for $8 on Ebay (see links in my post below).

tristanik Junior Member • Posts: 26

Thank you Markus for your reply.

In Singapore you can´t return the camera..Any camera!:(

Sure you can buy an external charger for around 35SGD/42USD but why do you need to buy that it should have come with the camera.

My Canon S95 has a wind filter and it works fine.

But Nikon have always been far behind when it comes to enthusiast compact cameras!

tristanik's gear list:tristanik's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-3
turboBB

marike6 wrote:

Re: menu - I'm basing my comments on real first-hand experience so there's nothing inaccurate about it. Also, I didn't say it was sluggish (as in over-exaggerating it), just that there is a sight delay. If you want to dispute that, please at least check it out first-hand if you have a store near you that carries it and the LX5 and conduct your own side-by-side comparo. No amount of video watching and comparing it with recollections and then making anecdotal assumptions will replace that.

It may very well be that it doesn't bother you in which case it shouldn't matter what I (or anyone else) say(s) as long as you enjoy the camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads