Nikon D3 LCD question; smudge?

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
Santelia Regular Member • Posts: 180
Nikon D3 LCD question; smudge?

Greetings, the smudge does show when using the play back or menu options but it's there. Any clues of what it is or if it can lead to major problem, or if anyone has replaced, at what cost $.

Thanks for the help.

Visible mostly under the glare of lights, sun or indoors. any clues?

-- hide signature --

Sante

Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LarH Regular Member • Posts: 252
Re: Nikon D3 LCD question; smudge?

From your photo of it I would think that the internal glass has cracked allowing liquid crystal to pool into areas (the black blotches). When this happens, the areas void of liquid crystal turn bright white.

If  this is what you're seeing you probably need to get the lcd replaced. I'd call Nikon and ask them.- Larry

LarH's gear list:LarH's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +18 more
OP Santelia Regular Member • Posts: 180

Larry,

I am wondering if what you are thinking could be the reason then when I turn on the display to play back pictures or to look at the menu if the smudge should still be visible? Don't know much about this things. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Yes, if that is indeed the problem the smudge would still be visible with power on. I've never seen this on a camera lcd but have seen a couple laptops with this type of problem. I would call Nikon service and ask them. Or maybe APS in Chicago. You could also check locally for a reputable camera repair shop. - Larry

Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +18 more

Larry,

Sorry I don't think I worded my question the right way, when I turn the display on, for play back or menu, the smudge or mark goes away, you can not see it any longer. You have to move the lcd around until you actually see the mark. Thanks for your suggestions and for taking the time.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Larry,

Here I go again, the mark is only visible with the monitor turned off not when it's on.

-- hide signature --

Sante

IainD Senior Member • Posts: 1,577

If the performance of the camera is not degraded, I would forget about it. Seems like a cosmetic issue only, as long as your camera screen is still ok to read the menus and to check the pictures as needed. Don't spend money on it. Just a sign that the camera has been working hard!

iainD

IainD wrote:

If the performance of the camera is not degraded, I would forget about it. Seems like a cosmetic issue only, as long as your camera screen is still ok to read the menus and to check the pictures as needed. Don't spend money on it. Just a sign that the camera has been working hard!

iainD

I would agree, everything is working fine. I am just trying to figure out how or what may have happened.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Sante

I guess moisture or perspiration has sneaked in and stained the inside.

chris_uk
chris_uk Contributing Member • Posts: 761

This is a well known problem with the D3. The seal around the glass has failed and allowed condensation to form on the inside of the glass. Most often caused when breathing whilst holding the camera up to your eye. Nikon can fix it but it is not cheap.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624

Santelia wrote:

Greetings, the smudge does show when using the play back or menu options but it's there. Any clues of what it is or if it can lead to major problem, or if anyone has replaced, at what cost $.

Thanks for the help.

-- hide signature --

Sante

I think that was an early problem with D3, D700 and D300.

Inside fogging of the LCD protector glass (the one on outside is the protector glass and can be replaced without replacing the actual LCD.

Here is an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wo72TZGphs

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1071918

They seem out of stock, however.

http://www.procamerarepair.com/NIKON-D3-LCD-WINDOW-DISPLAY-AND-ADHESIVE-TAPE_p_207.html

But no biggie, its working fine, no problem. If it really bugs you, Ebay should have a replacement,. I just received a replacement for my D300 one, in case it gets damaged or if I change it as it has slight fogging that does not affect picture taking or viewing in not too bright light. Harsh sunlight can be a bit tedious for playback viewing with fogging.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

DiverX
DiverX Senior Member • Posts: 2,327

I think I was one of the early reporters of this;

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/26737431

I actually think it was fixed on one of my trips to Nikon but I am really not sure...

-- hide signature --
 DiverX's gear list:DiverX's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D500

IainD wrote:

I guess moisture or perspiration has sneaked in and stained the inside.

Off topic but I saw your website and looked at eagles in Alaska; beautiful captures. In South FLorida it's the Osprey (one pic attached) although the occasional eagle may find it's way in some areas.

Late afternoon in the Florida Everglades.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Bajerunner wrote:

Santelia wrote:

Thanks for the help.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Inside fogging of the LCD protector glass (the one on outside is the protector glass and can be replaced without replacing the actual LCD.

Here is an example.

http://www.procamerarepair.com/NIKON-D3-LCD-WINDOW-DISPLAY-AND-ADHESIVE-TAPE_p_207.html

But no biggie, its working fine, no problem. If it really bugs you, Ebay should have a replacement,. I just received a replacement for my D300 one, in case it gets damaged or if I change it as it has slight fogging that does not affect picture taking or viewing in not too bright light. Harsh sunlight can be a bit tedious for playback viewing with fogging.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into your links.

-- hide signature --

Sante

DiverX wrote:

I think I was one of the early reporters of this;

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/26737431

I actually think it was fixed on one of my trips to Nikon but I am really not sure...

-- hide signature --

I followed the post, very interesting information. The mark I have does not go away at all, but like I said it does not interfere with viewing during play back or menu options. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Bajerunner wrote:

Santelia wrote:

Thanks for the help.

I saw the videos and they make look real easy....... I suppose the process would be the same for a D3 as it is for the D70 on the video?

-- hide signature --

Sante

Here is an example.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Sante

Thank you for looking! Nice osprey. Just like the ospreys here in Australia!

IainD

Hi Sante, Sorry I missed understood you, if you don't see it when its turned on its not leaking liquid crystal. As the other posters suggested I would  not worry about it. If it bothers you, you can try to find the parts as other posters have suggested. Nice picture of the Osprey I love photographing them. I have a few pictures of them in my gallery here if you're interested.  - Larry

LarH wrote:

Hi Sante, Sorry I missed understood you, if you don't see it when its turned on its not leaking liquid crystal. As the other posters suggested I would not worry about it. If it bothers you, you can try to find the parts as other posters have suggested. Nice picture of the Osprey I love photographing them. I have a few pictures of them in my gallery here if you're interested. - Larry

Thanks, I will take a look when I return home . Out of the country for a few days.

-- hide signature --

Sante

LarH wrote:

Hi Sante, Sorry I missed understood you, if you don't see it when its turned on its not leaking liquid crystal. As the other posters suggested I would not worry about it. If it bothers you, you can try to find the parts as other posters have suggested. Nice picture of the Osprey I love photographing them. I have a few pictures of them in my gallery here if you're interested. - Larry

Larry,

You have great shots of the Osprey in action. I am looking forward to few captures like that myself. Sorry it took me a few days to respond out and about in the Caribbean.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads