Does anyone have macro extension tubes?

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,164
Does anyone have macro extension tubes?

I just bought Fotodiox Macro Extension Tube Set from Amazon.  Seemed like the most fun photo accessory I could possibly buy for less than $12 delivered.

If anyone else has these (or similar) what lens do you use it with?  Any example photos or comments?

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +5 more
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,189
Re: Does anyone have macro extension tubes?

JosephScha wrote:

I just bought Fotodiox Macro Extension Tube Set from Amazon. Seemed like the most fun photo accessory I could possibly buy for less than $12 delivered.

If anyone else has these (or similar) what lens do you use it with? Any example photos or comments?

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

\

They ARE fun

I use mine occasionally with a legacy 50mm f 1.7 lens.  The very shallow depth of field you get with extension tubes takes some getting used to, but you can get some really good effects from it.

This is one shot from last spring with it:

-J

CharlesTokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 721

You can't use the m43s lenses with those tubes. I bought the Kenko tube set for m43s. A lot more expensive, but I get aperture control. I haven't used them much yet, but they work fine.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +22 more
FrankParis Senior Member • Posts: 1,042

I spared no expense and bought the Kenko extension tubes: two tubes 16mm + 10mm, together 26mm. Fully electronic connection to the camera, making them simple as pie to use. Here's an example of a crocus with just the 16mm extension tube, taken with the Olympus 40-150mm. I've got the new 75-300mm on order and can't wait to try it with these extension tubes. I bought them mainly for taking pictures of flowers no larger than 3 inches in diameter from a distance of four or five feet, because often that's as close as I can get to them when they're on a neighborhood front lawn.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,637

FrankParis wrote:

Here's an example of a crocus with just the 16mm extension tube, taken with the Olympus 40-150mm.

Beautiful!

- Richard

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony Alpha a7R II
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,213

FrankParis wrote:

I spared no expense and bought the Kenko extension tubes: two tubes 16mm + 10mm, together 26mm. Fully electronic connection to the camera, making them simple as pie to use. Here's an example of a crocus with just the 16mm extension tube, taken with the Olympus 40-150mm. I've got the new 75-300mm on order and can't wait to try it with these extension tubes.

The Kenko tubes and 75-300 work very well. I usually only use the 10mm tube since I'm not really a super macro shooter. Just looking to get closer than the lens can focus by itself to shoot floral closeups and get at blooms in beds at places like the arboretum where sometimes I cannot get physically closer than 3-4 feet away.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Leica M9 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +28 more

Very nice. You're using the Kenko the same way I want to. I've also used the 10mm with the 40-150mm with great success.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more

CharlesTokyo wrote:

I bought the Kenko tube set for m43s. A lot more expensive, but I get aperture control. I haven't used them much yet, but they work fine.

I on the other hand have used them for hundreds of shots. They're just a lot of fun to use and well worth the price, which a lot of people will think is very high, but when you consider their construction and all that electronic connection involved, it's understandable why they're priced the way they are.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

courtwshr1 New Member • Posts: 20

I had a posted a few I just took in Costa Rica... and I'll post them again here.  These are on the kit lens (14-42mm) with 7mm fotodiox extension tubes and a home-made diffuser for the flash.  All hand-held.  Needless to say, I love the results.  Comments from the community have been to reduce the aperature to give a broader DOF, however with these adapters that cannot be done.  Thus, it's fun to deal with the "challenges."

*I have posted small size images due to bandwidth constraints, but I think they demonstrate my point.

That last frog with the red eyes is one scary dude. Beautiful shots.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 Leica M9 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +28 more
Michael T Regular Member • Posts: 247

FrankParis wrote:

I spared no expense and bought the Kenko extension tubes: two tubes 16mm + 10mm, together 26mm. Fully electronic connection to the camera, making them simple as pie to use. Here's an example of a crocus with just the 16mm extension tube, taken with the Olympus 40-150mm. I've got the new 75-300mm on order and can't wait to try it with these extension tubes. I bought them mainly for taking pictures of flowers no larger than 3 inches in diameter from a distance of four or five feet, because often that's as close as I can get to them when they're on a neighborhood front lawn.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Very useful information.  I am also looking at the Kenko extension tubes.  For the 40-150mm, the closest focusing distance is about 1m without the tube.  If using the Kenko extension tubes, can you tell me what will be closest focus distance then?

Thanks

Michael T's gear list:Michael T's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +3 more

Michael T wrote:

FrankParis wrote:

I spared no expense and bought the Kenko extension tubes: two tubes 16mm + 10mm, together 26mm. Fully electronic connection to the camera, making them simple as pie to use. Here's an example of a crocus with just the 16mm extension tube, taken with the Olympus 40-150mm. I've got the new 75-300mm on order and can't wait to try it with these extension tubes. I bought them mainly for taking pictures of flowers no larger than 3 inches in diameter from a distance of four or five feet, because often that's as close as I can get to them when they're on a neighborhood front lawn.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Very useful information. I am also looking at the Kenko extension tubes. For the 40-150mm, the closest focusing distance is about 1m without the tube. If using the Kenko extension tubes, can you tell me what will be closest focus distance then?

Depends on where the zoom is set and whether you use both tubes together or one at a time. The closest distance would be using both tubes and at 40mm. You might actually not be able to use both tubes at 40mm. When I was using the Olympus DSLR system I owned the EX25 tube (same thing as the Kenko tubes). Used with the 40-150mm Zuiko four-thirds lens, I believe the 40-50mm range with the EX25 tube was unusable because the lens almost touched the subject.

The further back you move from the subject you simply zoom out to allow the lens to focus at longer distances. That's the difference between using extension tubes like the Kenko set and using a screw-in closeup lens. Using a closeup lens attachment like the Canon 500D, you have to stay close to the subject no matter where you are zoomed. Using the tubes, you have a much wider working distance. The original (and I assume, the new) 75-300 will only focus to 5 feet on it's own from 76-300mm. Only at 75mm will it focus to 3 feet. Using the tubes and varying the zoom setting I can cover the entire range from just under 5 feet at 300mm with the 10mm tube down to extremely close using both tubes  with the lens zoomed to 75mm.

-- hide signature --

richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,637

Gregm61 wrote:

The Kenko tubes and 75-300 work very well. I usually only use the 10mm tube since I'm not really a super macro shooter. Just looking to get closer than the lens can focus by itself to shoot floral closeups and get at blooms in beds at places like the arboretum where sometimes I cannot get physically closer than 3-4 feet away.

Beautiful photographs, Greg.

But, if you are not magnifying something really small, why can't you just crop? Is it necessary to try to fill the frame?

An example. I'm about 4- 5 feet from this Bird of Paradise:

And I cropped to this:

Another example. I think I'm about 3 feet away:

And the crop:

Both examples with the Olympus 40-150mm.

I don't see cropping to be an issue unless one intends to make huge prints! What do you think?

Now, for the tiny things... I can see the extension tubes getting you in closer to fill the frame.

- Richard

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony Alpha a7R II
Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,224

Gregm61 wrote

The original (and I assume, the new) 75-300 will only focus to 5 feet on it's own from 76-300mm. Only at 75mm will it focus to 3 feet. Using the tubes and varying the zoom setting I can cover the entire range from just under 5 feet at 300mm with the 10mm tube down to extremely close using both tubes with the lens zoomed to 75mm.

I've been looking at the Kenko extension tubes for a while and find the above information helpful.

Could you tell me how close you can focus the Oly 75-300 (Mark 1) at 75mm, 100mm, 150mm and 200mm with the extension tubes attached please?

Also how much distant focus do you loose with the tubes attached? A scenario I have in mind is being out for a walk taking pictures of wild flowers when suddenly a bird perches on a branch near by in a very photogenic manner. How close will the bird have to be before I can focus the 75-300 on it without taking the extension tubes off?

-- hide signature --

Regards, Peter 'Keep taking the photos'

Peter 1745 wrote:

Gregm61 wrote

The original (and I assume, the new) 75-300 will only focus to 5 feet on it's own from 76-300mm. Only at 75mm will it focus to 3 feet. Using the tubes and varying the zoom setting I can cover the entire range from just under 5 feet at 300mm with the 10mm tube down to extremely close using both tubes with the lens zoomed to 75mm.

I've been looking at the Kenko extension tubes for a while and find the above information helpful.

Could you tell me how close you can focus the Oly 75-300 (Mark 1) at 75mm, 100mm, 150mm and 200mm with the extension tubes attached please?

I can do this, but it will have to be several hours from now. About to go to work.

Also how much distant focus do you loose with the tubes attached? A scenario I have in mind is being out for a walk taking pictures of wild flowers when suddenly a bird perches on a branch near by in a very photogenic manner. How close will the bird have to be before I can focus the 75-300 on it without taking the extension tubes off?

The tubes turn any lens into a dedicated closeup lens. You would need to first remove the tubes to capture a bird at virtually any distance.

-- hide signature --

Sure, cropping works, but getting closer you do not have to crop and depth of field becomes more shallow due to the increased magnification, which does change the look of the image. I would rather fill the frame with the image I have in mind than cropping later if I can.

-- hide signature --

Kuppenbender
Kuppenbender Senior Member • Posts: 2,125
only by accident

I recently bought an m4/3 to 58mm reversing ring on eBay for my old Zeiss 50mm f1.7.

The lens has a 55mm filter thread, but as chance would have it, a metal lens hood I have (also ebay) works as a 55mm to 58mm step-up ring.

In reverse orientation, the lens hood double as a 20mm extension ring. As luck would have it, my m4/3 to C/Y adapter doubles as a lens hood. No noticeable vignetting.

The coin is about 23mm in diameter. Uncropped image.

The background's not a great advert for GX1 high ISO (lots of noise!) but onboard flash was used anyway, so I could have (easily) got away with a lower one.

I'm looking forward to using it outside in the spring.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,224

Gregm61 wrote:

Peter 1745 wrote:

Gregm61 wrote

I can do this, but it will have to be several hours from now. About to go to work.

The tubes turn any lens into a dedicated closeup lens. You would need to first remove the tubes to capture a bird at virtually any distance.

Thanks,

No hurry, I've been procrastinating about the extension tubes for a couple of months.

Peter

(Procrastinators. The rulers of tomorrow)

raymb Regular Member • Posts: 489

Hi, Peter have you also considered using the Raynox close up lens ?.

If you only want to get very close and not true macro I find the Raynox250 very good. It is also quick and easy to put on and remove.

the examples below were taken with the Panasonic 45-150. I have shown the scales full size they are approx 1.5" high

raymb's gear list:raymb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 25,332
Used with cheap 52mm lens.....

JosephScha wrote:

I just bought Fotodiox Macro Extension Tube Set from Amazon. Seemed like the most fun photo accessory I could possibly buy for less than $12 delivered.

If anyone else has these (or similar) what lens do you use it with? Any example photos or comments?

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

js

since you are going to be stopping it down to F/11-16 anyway:

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads