So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Questions
Randell Tober
Randell Tober Regular Member • Posts: 248
So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?

In all the comparables the OM-D wins at least in my opinion, but being I can't handle one prior to purchase I'm a little concerned. I've ran into several mentions to the camera not being for big hands I thought about going with the gh3, but when put up against the OMD...it looks weak to me. I like the 4/3's as well as not having to spend as much on glass- vs SLR. right? Thouhts? Thanks

Randell Tober's gear list:Randell Tober's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
maimou Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?
 maimou's gear list:maimou's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,929
Re: So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?

I have small hands for a guy, but since no one is answering your question, I will offer some info. Even for my small hand, I found the E-M5 too small, its tiny grip? or crease too small, and its controls too small to use comfortably. The optional grip from Olympus improves the handling, and functionality, a lot, but not the use of the tiny buttons and dials, and you have to screw around a lot to change batteries (removing the grip first) with the grip. It is also expensive.

There is also this much cheaper and simpler grip, which allows change of batteries while it is still attached

http://www.jbcameradesigns.com/products/olympus-om-d-e-m5-grip-base

It is true, that the E-M5 is just a little too small if you are concerned about ergonomics. There is no better way than to try it for yourself. If you can't, then check what others have said on this forum.

Rens
Rens Senior Member • Posts: 1,797
What's weak about the GH3?

As a very happy OMD user with normal size hands, I'm curious about your view that the GH3 is weak compared to the OMD.

For me, the OMD advantage is its small size so it fits (just) into a jacket pocket.  Otherwise I'd be very interested in the GH3 with its fully swivelling screen.

So if the larger size of the GH3 isn't a problem, why don't you like it?

-- hide signature --

Rens
There are optimists and there are realists

PS  Though I'd have to check the Panny colours; with my GH1 I had trouble getting colours I liked even shooting RAW.  Oly colours work fine for me.

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EOS RP
spdavies New Member • Posts: 15

Hi, maybe I can help... or confuse you more....

I just got the Oly EM-5 - it is a little brick of a camera and the ergonomics on it are not very good.

My other cameras are a D600 (good ergo) and a Panasonic G2 - a little dream of a camera.

Picking up the Panny is like putting on a warm glove - smooth, comfortable and familiar with all the controls in the right place. By comparison, the Oly feels cold and hard with sharp edges and the controls are very awkward to get to (I'm a 6' guy with hands to match). And I do have the grip - either the Oly one or that JB aftermarket one are essential, in my opinion.

I too had to decide between the Panny GH3 and the Oly EM-5. I really wanted to get the GH3 because I think that Panasonic just makes nicer cameras ergonomically, menu-wise, controls, everything. It feels like they are designed by people who actually use them for photography.

However, I went with the Oly for one reason only - in body image stabilization. I want to use the camera with my Nikon lenses. So I will put up with the uncomfortable design. (It does look cooler, too.) The fact that it is lauded for its IQ helps, also. And the Olympus lenses are good and some of them are very well priced.

The two reasons to go with the Panasonic are the more comfortable interface and, most important, the far superior video capabilities. If you plan to do much video and it's important to you, then no contest, get the GH3. For me, I don't do video.

That was my decision tree - hope it helps....

-- hide signature --

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,929
Re: What's weak about the GH3?

Rens wrote:

As a very happy OMD user with normal size hands, I'm curious about your view that the GH3 is weak compared to the OMD.

For me, the OMD advantage is its small size so it fits (just) into a jacket pocket. Otherwise I'd be very interested in the GH3 with its fully swivelling screen.

So if the larger size of the GH3 isn't a problem, why don't you like it?

The topic is about ergonomics and size, and I do like the GH3 size, better controls, and other things that it does better than E-M5, like video, its better screen and the flash, but I have some significant concerns as well.  Those concerns bug me more than what is missing in the E-M5 but are available in the GH3.  The GH3 is expensive and its colours, especially skin tones, are still not as good, though improved from previous models.  Most of all, it does not have IBIS, so it cannot stabilise all M43 lenses, not just Olympus lenses like the 75mm, 60mm macro and 45mm, but also any legacy lenses, and in fact even some of its own M43 lenses that do not have lens IS.

The best thing of course is another OMD model with a larger size for better ergonomics and bigger controls, a fully articulated screen, built-in flash, and with its IBIS and all the M43 lenses make it so compelling.

BingoCharlie Contributing Member • Posts: 849
E-M5 is great for large hands

I have large hands and love the E-M5. Usually I use it with no grip at all and it feels perfect. If I'm using a big lens and/or (especially) the FL-600R flash then I prefer the Really Right Stuff grip ($120).

I bought the HLD-6 grip and returned it. The ergonomics didn't work for me at all. Your big hands might be different, but the HLD-6 squished my fingers too much. For some reason, the RRS grip doesn't.

wildwilly
wildwilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,297
I have big hands and the OM-D

and I don't have a problem with the size or the ergonomics. I can use all the buttons and dials just fine without pressing/turning the wrong one or inadvertantly pressing something unintentionally. My only size/ergonomic complaint is that the mysets should be on a dial, probably the mode dial for easy access. The battery compartment is readily accessible, even with a Swiss Arca tripod plate, the memory card compartment is similarly easily accessed, the dials are in the right places, all in all, it is a well designed and laid out camera. Caveat: I have only taken something over 5,000 shots with it.

Randell Tober
OP Randell Tober Regular Member • Posts: 248

Thanks... You know it makes me wonder if the techs at Olympus are paying any attention to this for future release/models? Surely they can see the need/ opportunity for another model. As I mentioned, I intially started looking at the GH3- but after comparing the samples in the new dpr prereview, it was clear it's not even close in IQ IMO. I'm even looking at Canon dslr's again now- but there goes the $$'s which aren't as plentiful as they use to be for me :o 4/3 glass looks great and from what I see a steal when compared to full size dslr in the cost/quality catagory.

Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
JohnBGood
JohnBGood Regular Member • Posts: 347

I have large hands, and I've used my OMD with and without the Oly grip, while not perfect it's ergonomics are working for me, the camera being roughly the same size as my (very) old (real) SLR.

This being said, as I don't wear it around my neck (I use the Oly strap as wrist strap) I mostly use WITH the grip when I know I'll be using it for several hours, as it is more comfortable for the hand on long sessions. But otherwise for casual shooting works well without it.

Another pro for the grip is when working in cold and/or wet weather it offers a more secure grip.

I also chose the OMD because of the IBIS, I'm still amazed at the long exposure I can get away with, really useful in those occasions when you don't have your tripod with you.

-- hide signature --

A mind is like a parachute, it works better when open.

JohnBGood's gear list:JohnBGood's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Randell Tober
Re: What's weak about the GH3?

Hi,

I know this is an initial test/ preview- but if you look at the Hi-Iso test just completed by DPR, almost anything you put up against the OM-D looks second rate- within reason(IMO). It takes jumping into some of the high dollar dslr's to find comparables so it seems. GH3 isn't totally out of the question- I'll be looking for more examples/info/reviews. As I mentioned, Olympus really has a winner in the OM-D. Hopefully they have a newer release for the future that gives us a bigger option

Randell Tober
Re: I have big hands and the OM-D

Thanks... I'm thinking that the big hands issue is with those with bigger vs. longer-slender fingers. I'm guessing it must be the bigger fingers that make things difficult? Maybe I have nothing to be concerned about. I'm sure I'll have to go the grip route - no manner

Randell Tober

Just curious, have any of you looked at the new Hi-Iso comparrisons for the GH3 vs the OM-D etc...? Thoughts? Thanks

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,398

I wear x-large gloves.  The camera  is no problem for me to use - I actually fell in love with it, and put the DSLR in the closet after just a few minutes of playing with it.  Isn't that's the point of M43 - great IQ in a small package?

It's not pefect, no camera is perfect.  The Fn1 and the playback buttons are a bit too close together IMO.  The on/off swtich, well, it's poorly implemented, but neither are deal breakers.  You just have to adjust - just like with every other camera.

The great thing about the EM-5 is there are multiple ways to do things.  For example, scrolling using the arrow keys - which, yes, are small buttons.  But for most things, you can use one of the two wheels on top of the camera to scroll - works great - or you can use the touch screen.  I rarely use the arrow keys.  The customization options are huge.

I can undertand people wanting larger buttons or a nice big grip.  For those that shoot one handed all the time - the lack of a deep grip I could see as a problem.  Coming from a DSLR, I always shoot with two hands - left under the lens, right on the side of the body - the camera is perfectly comfortable to me in that mode.  What I can't understand, knowing the cameara is small, and knowing their own preferences, they buy it anyway and then complain about it being, well surprise surprise...small.

harvo Regular Member • Posts: 390

I medium to large hands. I have no problem with the E-M5 except for the following:

The |> and Fn1 buttons above the thumb support are too small. However I use my thumbnail to press them without much difficulty.

The one thing that drives me nuts is the on-off switch. The flange is too small and i wind up pressing the down button or just missing it entirely. That needs reworking. The solution there is to have auto turn off set for 4 hours. Then a half press of the shutter button brings the camera to life almost instantly so you only have to fool with the on off switch a few times a day. Buy spare batteries!

And the Mysets need redoing onto the Mode dial or better yet on the SCP!

I wrote Panasonic long ago and said I would not buy a camera without IBIS. That obviously didn't impress them much. The E-M5 IBIS is phenominal.

Harvo

harvo's gear list:harvo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
blosshapperter
blosshapperter Regular Member • Posts: 132

Walk into the shop and try to handle it.

I have large hands (but slim fingers) and I have no complaints at all - considering that I wanted to have a small and lightweight camera.

-- hide signature --

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. - Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

blosshapperter's gear list:blosshapperter's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +10 more
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,670

Randell Tober wrote:

Just curious, have any of you looked at the new Hi-Iso comparrisons for the GH3 vs the OM-D etc...? Thoughts? Thanks

Honestly, I seem to have better output from my GH3 than what DPR has gotten in their tests.  I am really thrilled with the camera, and think you might be discounting it a bit too soon.

I think you should try one.  Ergonomically it is a dream without having to add any additional grips...especially for larger hands.

-J

Some high ISO photos:

blosshapperter
blosshapperter Regular Member • Posts: 132
OMD: power switch perfectly placed!

I want to contradict your complaint about the power switch.

I operate the power switch blind while handling the camera (means not-shooting). Using the outline of the camera as reference this switch operates perfectly when you use the nail of your thumb.

Since I do not intend to operate the switch in shooting position (what for?!??) it makes perfect sense to me to place it where you cannot reach during shooting.

This approach frees space for buttons which I do need during shooting.
But all these complaints will lead to less ergonomic placement with the next design of Olympus. Ah, well, I will not be able to afford a replacement anyway...

-- hide signature --

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. - Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

blosshapperter's gear list:blosshapperter's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +10 more
Steve Rushing Contributing Member • Posts: 710
Large Hands & Large Fingers ..

I can easily palm a basketball. I have no problems with the EM5 with one exception and that's the FN1 button because of the ridge. I've assigned it to the Digital Teleconverter because I use the DT but infrequently (some wildlife/bird shots where sighting documentation is more important than IQ).

My biggest ease of use complaint is Mysets. I would much prefer to access from the Mode Dial (and be able to name them). The Mysets can be very useful to have the camera settings pre-set for type of shooting so as not to be messing around very much. But, the current implementation is a pain.

tray48 Regular Member • Posts: 207

I have large hands and tried out an EM5 before buying it. I found it much more comfortable to use than I expected.  I was coming from a Nikon D7000 and was very used to its ergonomics and button placement.  However I am now completely at ease with the EM5. I particularly like the size and weight, especially compared to the D7000. The image stabilization system is remarkable. I can easily get hand held shots at 1/2 sec shutter speed. I bought the Oly grip for the camera but only use  upper part right  now. I particularly like the placement of the grip's shutter release button.  The  bottom part of the grip designed for portrait shots, makes the camera even easier to hold, but adds some weight and bulk, especially with the second battery. I don't think you'll go wrong with the camera.

tray48's gear list:tray48's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads