G5 - first impressions

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions
Randell Tober
Randell Tober Regular Member • Posts: 248
Re: G5 - first impressions

I purchased mine from Samy's. $543. I would think that a call and request would get you a change out or price adjustment- lens. Most companies guarantee prices for a short time after purchase. The lens are better in IQ  than I ecspected.

Randell Tober's gear list:Randell Tober's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Randell Tober
Randell Tober Regular Member • Posts: 248

The wheel feels like something you'd find on a throwaway camera. The swivel- EVF is of concern. I will go out of my way to take it easy with the EVF. Only two item's that bother me.

Randell Tober's gear list:Randell Tober's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
OP viorel Contributing Member • Posts: 939

Thanks Randell, you'll enjoy the camera. Overall is a very usable tool.

good shooting

Viorel

-- hide signature --
 viorel's gear list:viorel's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,163

Sorry for my mistake, wrong post

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
alfredo_tomato
alfredo_tomato Veteran Member • Posts: 4,173

What about battery life?  One site showed a little over 300 shots. What has been your experience?

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Excellent post, Viorel, full of information I need ...

… and of course I hope others benefit too! 

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,511
Re: G5 - first impressions_Part II_IQ_good light

viorel wrote:

either: g5 applies some default noise reduction in raw files that is not dependent on in-camera setting for noise reduction and the corresponding camera jpeg processing sharpens back the files accordingly or Olympus is applying sharpening to their orf files.

I much appreciate your review and observations.  Nicely done.

Although I haven't done it nearly as systematically as you did, I've scrutinized the difference between raw files captured with my EPL5 and G5. At 100%, I see no difference in detail/sharpness at all except at high ISOs, so I'm guessing your ORF and RW2 files are equally sharp.  What must be different is some LR default for noise reduction, sharpness, detail, or the unsharp mask.  I did most of my comparisons in Noise Ninja, so maybe the default handling/interpretation of ORF and RW2 files there is more uniform than in Lightroom.

Anyway, thanks for your analysis.  There's something about the G5 that says plasticky the first time you pick it up. I'm not sure whether it's the light weight or what. I came to it from a GH2 and my initial response was that the G5 wasn't as well built.  That perception lasted for all of 24 hours. While it remains small and light, it now feels solid and well built to me. There's nothing about the wheels, buttons, or articulating screen that feels fragile or like it won't hold up. My main objection is the placement of the Quick Menu button and the loss of the MAR sensor. Otherwise, as you said, the colors and dynamic range are nicely improved over the GH2 and GX1, both of which I used to own.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more

It's ok, but I use mostly EVF. It is similar with Epl1 one. I think 300 shots is close to reality but may be less if rely heavy on LCD. I intend to buy a couple of spare batteries as well, I belive it's necessary for this camera.

Good thing the charger is wall-type, flip out, so quite small.

Cheers

Viorel

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5

bowportes wrote:

viorel wrote:

either: g5 applies some default noise reduction in raw files that is not dependent on in-camera setting for noise reduction and the corresponding camera jpeg processing sharpens back the files accordingly or Olympus is applying sharpening to their orf files.

I much appreciate your review and observations. Nicely done.

Thanks, very much...

Although I haven't done it nearly as systematically as you did, I've scrutinized the difference between raw files captured with my EPL5 and G5. At 100%, I see no difference in detail/sharpness at all except at high ISOs, so I'm guessing your ORF and RW2 files are equally sharp. What must be different is some LR default for noise reduction, sharpness, detail, or the unsharp mask. I did most of my comparisons in Noise Ninja, so maybe the default handling/interpretation of ORF and RW2 files there is more uniform than in Lightroom.

that's good news, (not all hopes are vanished...joking of course) I should try a different raw converter as well. But I strongly suspect I can live with the jpeg quality of g5 in 90% of the cases :).

Anyway, thanks for your analysis. There's something about the G5 that says plasticky the first time you pick it up. I'm not sure whether it's the light weight or what. I came to it from a GH2 and my initial response was that the G5 wasn't as well built. That perception lasted for all of 24 hours. While it remains small and light, it now feels solid and well built to me. There's nothing about the wheels, buttons, or articulating screen that feels fragile or like it won't hold up. My main objection is the placement of the Quick Menu button and the loss of the MAR sensor. Otherwise, as you said, the colors and dynamic range are nicely improved over the GH2 and GX1, both of which I used to own.

Thanks, I'm happy I was not alone in having this initial feeling, it may be a little disturbing at first. It may be the lght weight combined with smooth plastic texture. Nevertheless a really really good handling of this camera.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
Re: Excellent post, Viorel, full of information I need ...

Thanks Geoff, your comment is much appreciated, glad you've enjoyed it.

regards...

Viorel

-- hide signature --
alfredo_tomato

Thanks. It seems the first charge isn't indicative of  performance of the battery.

Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,121

alfredo_tomato wrote:

What about battery life? One site showed a little over 300 shots. What has been your experience?

Battery life is rubbsh, but I carry three batteries so irrelevant.

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218

viorel wrote:

bowportes wrote:

viorel wrote:

I much appreciate your review and observations. Nicely done.

Thanks, very much...

Although I haven't done it nearly as systematically as you did, I've scrutinized the difference between raw files captured with my EPL5 and G5. At 100%, I see no difference in detail/sharpness at all except at high ISOs, so I'm guessing your ORF and RW2 files are equally sharp. What must be different is some LR default for noise reduction, sharpness, detail, or the unsharp mask. I did most of my comparisons in Noise Ninja, so maybe the default handling/interpretation of ORF and RW2 files there is more uniform than in Lightroom.

that's good news, (not all hopes are vanished...joking of course) I should try a different raw converter as well. But I strongly suspect I can live with the jpeg quality of g5 in 90% of the cases :).

Viorel, might I suggest you download a trial of PhotoLine and give their RAW conversion a go? The results might be interesting. Having looked at a couple of reviews of the G5 which spoke of this detail smearing, I was thinking that if/when I move to the G5 I will continue to shoot JPEGs, as I do with my E-PL3, but would switch to RAW + JPEG for some critical stuff -- probably including landscapes with lots of detail like this one:

Cruise ship Aurora in Rabaul harbor

Anyway, thanks for your analysis. There's something about the G5 that says plasticky the first time you pick it up. I'm not sure whether it's the light weight or what. I came to it from a GH2 and my initial response was that the G5 wasn't as well built. That perception lasted for all of 24 hours. While it remains small and light, it now feels solid and well built to me. There's nothing about the wheels, buttons, or articulating screen that feels fragile or like it won't hold up. My main objection is the placement of the Quick Menu button and the loss of the MAR sensor. Otherwise, as you said, the colors and dynamic range are nicely improved over the GH2 and GX1, both of which I used to own.

Thanks, I'm happy I was not alone in having this initial feeling, it may be a little disturbing at first. It may be the lght weight combined with smooth plastic texture. Nevertheless a really really good handling of this camera.

I've been thinking about this and about the size thing. I suspect the problem is the appearance of the G5. It is chunky looking. It’s appearance says tough, strong, and of necessity when those two factors are taken into account, heavy.

When you pick it up, you find it is light so, along with the feel of it to touch, you think "empty plastic shell". Like when you pick up a bucket you think is full of water and it isn't. Your hand holding the bucket shoots skywards (to your embarrassment) for a moment.

In 24 hours, your conception has adjusted to reality and your preconception has disappeared -- never to return, hopefully!

I was surprised when I first checked the G5 dimensions. Weight is important for me, so I checked the specs to see how much heavier the G5 was than the E-PL5 + VF2 (my alternative upgrade path from the E-PL3).

It is NOT heavier! It might even be lighter than the E-PL5 with VF2 attached (I shoot 95% or more with the VF2 on the E-PL3 -- literally couldn't use the E-PL3 without it).

Then it was time for the linear measurements. Eh? The G5 is actually (very) slightly smaller than the E-PL5 + VF2 on two dimensions -- length and height. Thickness/depth? yes, the Oly has a big advantage there -- until you add a standard lens! Then it is pretty much of a muchness, unless you add the PZ to the G5, in which case it wins again!!!

But it continues to lookbigger and heavier. Like all those DSLRs perhaps.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more

Hen3ry wrote:

viorel wrote:

bowportes wrote:

Viorel, might I suggest you download a trial of PhotoLine and give their RAW conversion a go? The results might be interesting. Having looked at a couple of reviews of the G5 which spoke of this detail smearing, I was thinking that if/when I move to the G5 I will continue to shoot JPEGs, as I do with my E-PL3, but would switch to RAW + JPEG for some critical stuff -- probably including landscapes with lots of detail like this one:

Cruise ship Aurora in Rabaul harbor

Thanks Geoff, I'll give it a try. Jpegs are good enough for me, but it's nice to have a good raw converter at hand.

Gorgeous picture, btw

It is NOT heavier! It might even be lighter than the E-PL5 with VF2 attached (I shoot 95% or more with the VF2 on the E-PL3 -- literally couldn't use the E-PL3 without it).

Now I understand why you're looking after a G5. :). I also used Epl1 mostly with VF2 and I ended up with G5...

Then it was time for the linear measurements. Eh? The G5 is actually (very) slightly smaller than the E-PL5 + VF2 on two dimensions -- length and height. Thickness/depth? yes, the Oly has a big advantage there -- until you add a standard lens! Then it is pretty much of a muchness, unless you add the PZ to the G5, in which case it wins again!!!

But it continues to lookbigger and heavier. Like all those DSLRs perhaps.

There's a lot of sense in what you say. Perhaps just this dichotomy between look and feel is disconcerting. G5 is a very light camera indeed.

Cheers, Geoff

cheers, Viorel

-- hide signature --
alfredo_tomato

This thread has convinced me to jump to the Panasonic G5. I have the Oly EPL-1 and want to upgrade. The new Pens are nice, but the grip is way too small for my arthritic hands.

alfredo_tomato wrote:

This thread has convinced me to jump to the Panasonic G5. I have the Oly EPL-1 and want to upgrade. The new Pens are nice, but the grip is way too small for my arthritic hands.

Hi Alfredo, I am happy I did the jump myself, ergonomy is particularly better compared with Epl1 so I think you'll enjoy the camera.

Though initially I thought I'll use both cameras, Epl1 is colecting dust for 2 weeks (comparatively, E1 is still getting some use due to great ergonomy with ZD lenses and characteristically magical, noise free IQ at low ISO).

Best, Viorel

-- hide signature --
alfredo_tomato

My Sigma 19mm will be my go to lens with this camera.

alfredo_tomato

That's the only real downside I've seen from this camera. Still, it is not a deal breaker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfredo_tomato/

adrianf2 Forum Member • Posts: 55

Regarding the build quality, a German magazine tested DSLRs and M4/3 cameras specifically for build quality. The GH3 came out ahead of the pack, with the G5 level with the OMD, very high on the list.

Don't know about the veracity of the tests, but this was reported via 4/3 rumours, including the table:

http://www.43rumors.com/the-camera-quality-ranking-from-stuftung-warentest-germany-in-stock-at-amazon-on-sunday/

Fantastic camera overall!

alfredo_tomato

I am stuck on SSI so I don't have much cash for goodies, I might end up going with the G3 for economic reasons, but I do find the more robust hand grip on the G5 more to my liking. I use a wrist strap, so the grip is important.

IQ is important, and what has kept me with my EPL-1 is the IQ compared to other M4/3's. There wasn't enough improvement to cause me to spend my meager funds.

The puny grips on the EPL-5/EPM2 has all but eliminated them from consideration.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads