Nikkor 32mm f1.2 listed on the Nikon USA website...

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions
Eyvind Regular Member • Posts: 214
Nikkor 32mm f1.2 listed on the Nikon USA website...

From Nikon Rumors:

"...In January Nikon announced the development of the 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 lens (equivalent to 86.4mm in 35mm format, Nano Crystal coating, see patent). The lens has not been officially released, but new press images are already listed on Nikon USA website, even though they are not yet included in the site search or linked anywhere on the main page. Expect this lens to be released soon (price, delivery date, detailed specs..."

gdourado
gdourado Regular Member • Posts: 247
Re: Nikkor 32mm f1.2 listed on the Nikon USA website...

Excellent news! Made my day!

For me, a native portrait lens is a must for the 1 system. I will sure grab this one!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,964

Eyvind wrote:

From Nikon Rumors:

"...In January Nikon announced the development of the 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 lens (equivalent to 86.4mm in 35mm format, Nano Crystal coating, see patent). The lens has not been officially released, but new press images are already listed on Nikon USA website, even though they are not yet included in the site search or linked anywhere on the main page. Expect this lens to be released soon (price, delivery date, detailed specs..."

I hope the price is reasonable too! The Nano Crystal coating is not just marketing hype either. I recently purchased my first Nikkor lens with the Nano Crystal coating, (60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro-Nikkor),and I am blown away with the micro-contrast. It's the best I have ever seen!  Nikon only uses the Nano Crystal coating in their better lenses, so the 32mm f/1.2 lens should be an outstanding lens. Things just keep getting better for the Nikon 1 system!

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
iamthenewguy
iamthenewguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,029

I'm not sure how long that page has been up (the page on the Nikon website) but it's been a long while. I did a search almost a month ago on Google for "32mm f/1.2" and the page containing the 32mm's photos popped up. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know if this alone is an indicator of it being released soon. In any case, I really do hope it gets an official announcement soon so I can know what the heck the price is! As far as I'm concerned I pretty much have a complete system but this lens sure would be tempting.

iamthenewguy's gear list:iamthenewguy's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +1 more
Bailey151 Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

gdourado wrote:

Excellent news! Made my day!

For me, a native portrait lens is a must for the 1 system. I will sure grab this one!

Yep, and it would be utterly superb if we had a shoe adapter for off camera work........now that would be great! A portrait lens & off camera flash (w/o the flash slave "go 'round").

Herts_JoaTMoN
Herts_JoaTMoN Contributing Member • Posts: 773

Eyvind wrote:

From Nikon Rumors:

I expect that this will be in the ball park of the 10-100 VR zoom lens in terms of cost, given the speed and coating

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro. Soligor 135 2.8 / Raynox DCR-250 / 49mm CP filter / Spare battery / LIM's flash bounce. Film canister diffuser / OPTECH wriststrap
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110 / Franiec Grip.
Sony TX10.

Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list:Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
vkyr2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,499

I've already seen this under the Nikon press images at 08-Dez-2012 (my download time stamp indication) and so it must have been some longer time ago there. - So Nikon Rumors pretty much slept here with this one and thus I much doubt it's actually a soon to be release indication at all !

-- hide signature --

Valentino

Sanpete Contributing Member • Posts: 736

"Hope it is priced somewhat reasonably..."

Reasonably, probably, but not cheaply, most likely. I expect Ben is right and it will be expensive, relative to what a lot of us paid for the camera.

chexmixing New Member • Posts: 6
warren454 New Member • Posts: 18

With every new lens this system keeps getting more and more impressive. If it is in the $400.00 USD price range I will be very tempted to put this on my V2. I would be out if its more than $500.00.

warren454's gear list:warren454's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8
OP Eyvind Regular Member • Posts: 214

Sanpete wrote:

Reasonably, probably, but not cheaply, most likely. I expect Ben is right and it will be expensive, relative to what a lot of us paid for the camera.

I'm not expecting it to be cheap, but around USD 600 would make it hard to resist...

MarkInSF Senior Member • Posts: 2,237

Eyvind wrote:

Sanpete wrote:

I'm not expecting it to be cheap, but around USD 600 would make it hard to resist...

I think I can resist.   The 6.7-13mm hit me in a weak spot, but portraits aren't a particular interest and the focal length isn't useful enough as a general purpose lens.   The speed is nice, but I'd rather have a fast 35mm equivalent.  Other than for portraits, 85mm is long for indoors.   Unless it was a macro lens.   That's another itch I'd love to scratch, but am thinking add-on lenses may do well enough for me.

I can resist. The 6.7-13mm hit me in a weak spot, but portraits aren't a particular interest and the focal length isn't useful enough as a general purpose lens. The speed is nice, but I'd rather have a fast 35mm equivalent. Other than for portraits, 85mm is long for indoors. Unless it was a macro lens. That's another itch I'd love to scratch, but am thinking add-on lenses may do well enough for me.

Your arguments are compelling, and I think you are right... The f1.2 speed probably triggered a case of acute lens lust.

I'm probably especially prone to ALL these days as I've trimmed my lens portfolio the last weeks, replaced eigth lenses with two - but I'm obviously in want of more glass...

In any case, I'm looking forward to read the first reviews of the lens.

SunnyFlorida Contributing Member • Posts: 831

This lens has the equivalent FOV and aperture of an 85mm F/3.2 on FX, or a 50mm F/1.8 on DX. The excellent Nikkors 85mm F/1.8 and 50mm F/1.8 AF-S G currently sell for $400 and $200 respectively.  The mirrorless competition (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Oly) offer their 85mm equiv FOV lenses from $300 ~ $400. If Nikon asks a penny over $400 for this lens, then it's beyond official, Nikon is dependent on fanboys in order to make money and keep the "1" system on life support.

blank_ Regular Member • Posts: 256

jonikon wrote:

Eyvind wrote:

From Nikon Rumors:

I hope the price is reasonable too! The Nano Crystal coating is not just marketing hype either. I recently purchased my first Nikkor lens with the Nano Crystal coating, (60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro-Nikkor),and I am blown away with the micro-contrast. It's the best I have ever seen! Nikon only uses the Nano Crystal coating in their better lenses, so the 32mm f/1.2 lens should be an outstanding lens. Things just keep getting better for the Nikon 1 system!

- Jon

since it's f1.2 and CX lenses are not faster than FF equivalent lenses in general, I guess it might be pretty expensive. They could also add a f1.8 version later.

blank_'s gear list:blank_'s gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +2 more
blank_ Regular Member • Posts: 256

Eyvind wrote:

I can resist. The 6.7-13mm hit me in a weak spot, but portraits aren't a particular interest and the focal length isn't useful enough as a general purpose lens. The speed is nice, but I'd rather have a fast 35mm equivalent. Other than for portraits, 85mm is long for indoors. Unless it was a macro lens. That's another itch I'd love to scratch, but am thinking add-on lenses may do well enough for me.

Your arguments are compelling, and I think you are right... The f1.2 speed probably triggered a case of acute lens lust.

I'm probably especially prone to ALL these days as I've trimmed my lens portfolio the last weeks, replaced eigth lenses with two - but I'm obviously in want of more glass...

In any case, I'm looking forward to read the first reviews of the lens.

f1.2 is sexy, but I guess, I could resist too. It also looks quite big on V2 body, and when I don't need compact size, I can just use my canon 85/1.8. I'd prefer a lens like oly 45/1.8 - excellent performance, but small and cheap.

blank_'s gear list:blank_'s gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +2 more

This lens has the equivalent FOV and apertur of an 85mm F/3.2 on FX, or a 50mm F/1.8 on DX. The excellent Nikkors 85mm F/1.8 and 50mm F/1.8 AF-S G currently sell for $400 and $200 respectively. The mirrorless competition (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Oly) offer their 85mm equiv FOV lenses from $300 ~ $400. If Nikon asks a penny over $400 for this lens, then it's beyond official, Nikon is dependent on fanboys in order to make money and keep the "1" system on life support.

Positive as always... And I'm impressed by your vigilant watch over the Nikon 1 forum, keeping us fanboys in line...

Anyway, your comment is fair enough. Just would like to mention that the imaging divisions of Sony, Samsung, Panasonic & Oly are all losing money, and require life support as well...

Fortunately, this fierce competion makes us consumers the winners, right?

Eyvind wrote:

This lens has the equivalent FOV and apertur of an 85mm F/3.2 on FX, or a 50mm F/1.8 on DX. The excellent Nikkors 85mm F/1.8 and 50mm F/1.8 AF-S G currently sell for $400 and $200 respectively. The mirrorless competition (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Oly) offer their 85mm equiv FOV lenses from $300 ~ $400. If Nikon asks a penny over $400 for this lens, then it's beyond official, Nikon is dependent on fanboys in order to make money and keep the "1" system on life support.

Positive as always... And I'm impressed by your vigilant watch over the Nikon 1 forum,keeping us fanboys in line...

It's neither positive nor negative, it's REALITY, it's the MARKET, it's the COMPETITION, factors which are sorely lacking in the "1" forum and in Nikon's Development division.

|Anyway, your comment is fair enough. Just would like to mention that the imaging divisions of |Sony, Samsung, Panasonic & Oly are all losing money, and require life support as well...

|Fortunately, this fierce competion makes us consumers the winners, right?

Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and Oly which is owned by Sony are not solely dependent on their imaging division. Samsung has never made a profit from their ILC cameras, but they're not going to shut it down anytime soon as  the Samsung corporation makes billions in profit from their other divisions. Nikon relies exclusively on their Imaging and Medical division for earnings, they can't afford to keep losing money with over priced+ under sized sensor prodcuts, unless they're going to open up a TV division, printers, copiers, computers, Hollywood films, and home appliances to make up the difference.

|Anyway, your comment is fair enough. Just would like to mention that the imaging divisions of |Sony, Samsung, Panasonic & Oly are all losing money, and require life support as well...

Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and Oly which is owned by Sony are not solely dependent on their imaging division. Samsung has never made a profit from their ILC cameras, but they're not going to shut it down anytime soon as the Samsung corporation makes billions in profit from their other divisions. Nikon relies exclusively on their Imaging and Medical division for earnings, they can't afford to keep losing money with over priced+ under sized sensor prodcuts, unless they're going to open up a TV division, printers, copiers, computers, Hollywood films, and home appliances to make up the difference.

We agree, the imaging divisions of Sony, Samsung, Panasonic & Oly (partly owned by Sony, around 11%) are all losing money, and require life support as well (from their mothers)...

But, your argument is as follows: It is OK for them to invest money to build a platform, but not for Nikon? Because?

Nikon and Canon are the only camera manufacturers actually making money, but they are experiencing a profit decline - which they have to act on. I don't know if Nikon 1 is a part of this answer in the long term, but I believe Nikon has a better understanding how to develop, market and sell camera and lenses than some posters in this forum...

Eyvind wrote:

Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and Oly which is owned by Sony are not solely dependent on their imaging division. Samsung has never made a profit from their ILC cameras, but they're not going to shut it down anytime soon as the Samsung corporation makes billions in profit from their other divisions. Nikon relies exclusively on their Imaging and Medical division for earnings, they can't afford to keep losing money with over priced+ under sized sensor prodcuts, unless they're going to open up a TV division, printers, copiers, computers, Hollywood films, and home appliances to make up the difference.

We agree, the imaging divisions of Sony, Samsung, Panasonic & Oly (partly owned by Sony, around 11%) are all losing money, and require life support as well (from their mothers)...

You seem to like the "spin" , these companies have deep pockets and spend money in products that EXIST, Samsung has developed 3 portrait lenses for their mirroless system, a 45mm F/1.8 (85mm FOV) a 60mm F/2.8 Micro (90mm FOV) and an 85mm F/1.4 (135mm FOV) additionally they're developed a 3D camera and a 3D lens; Nikon hasn't even decided on a release date or price for their non existent portrait lens, beyond pathetic.

Nikon and Canon are the only camera manufacturers actually making money, but they are experiencing a profit decline - which they have to act on. I don't know if Nikon 1 is a part of this answer in the long term, but I believe Nikon has a better understanding how to develop, market and sell camera and lenses than some posters in this forum...

Sony , Samsung and Panasonic, made BILLIONS of dollars in profit more than Nikon, they're and their camera divisons are gaining lots of market share, while Nikon's market share is slipping, thanks to crappy products like the "1" series. If you want to shoot pictures with year end P&L reports and portrait lenses that don't exist, go right ahead, those of us who live in the real world, we like to use products that actually exist.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads