Does your G2 rattle

Started Mar 11, 2013 | Discussions
Steve Jamieson Junior Member • Posts: 44
Does your G2 rattle

Hi, just got a G2 body from ebay. Very happy with the camera but there is a rattle from inside the eyepiece area when the camera is shaken gently forward and back. It's definitely not coming from the lens as it does it with the body cap on. Can't see anything moving though. Just want to be sure that it's not broken inside. Can anyone confirm theirs is the same? Thanks in advance. Steve.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John Buechler Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: Does your G2 rattle

My G2 didn't make any noise at all, even when shaken or moved as you described. John

John Buechler's gear list:John Buechler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +24 more
OP Steve Jamieson Junior Member • Posts: 44

John Buechler wrote:

My G2 didn't make any noise at all, even when shaken or moved as you described. John

Anyone else? I should add it's not a loud noise at all, imagine a small ball bearing just moving a few mm back and forward, that's what it sounds like. I've a feeling that it could be normal and related to a movement sensor for the Pre AF function, used to detect when the camera is steady and has stopped moving around. Steve.

eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,122

Steve Jamieson wrote:

Hi, just got a G2 body from ebay. Very happy with the camera but there is a rattle from inside the eyepiece area when the camera is shaken gently forward and back.

Now that you say it, I tried and yes, it's there.

I bought the G2 new a year ago, but never had any trouble with it.

It's definitely not coming from the lens as it does it with the body cap on. Can't see anything moving though. Just want to be sure that it's not broken inside.

I don't think so - if indeed it is the same rattle.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
herebefore
herebefore Veteran Member • Posts: 3,296

Does the G-2 have an orientation sensor???

I know that was the cause of a "rattle" noise in the E-500/300 (way back when) that cause a zillion posts from people that were in a state of panic. It was a mechanical switch that flopped over when the camera was rotated and it made a "clunk" that some people could hear.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Alumna Gorp Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

I hope it does, other wise the tilt sensor is faulty.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more

Thanks for the replies..puts my mind at rest I did ask the local Panasonic service centre for their advice. They didn't have a G2 to check but did say that the EVF has some moving parts inside related to the dioptre adjustment and that is probably what I was hearing. Steve.

John Buechler Regular Member • Posts: 130

I was wrong about the rattle. It does rattle but it's not very loud. Also my GH2 and G5 make a noise when shaken. John

John Buechler's gear list:John Buechler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +24 more

Thanks John, Reckon it must be normal then...Phewww. G2 off eBay turned out to be a real bargain with only 500 shutter clicks. So much more usability when compared with my old GF2. Really happy with it. Steve.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads