X100S - Full Wedding

Started Mar 11, 2013 | Discussions
MOD BobsYourUncle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,332
Re: X100S - Full Wedding

Excellent set.  I'm sure the wedding couple will treasure these more than the primary photog.

Bob

BobsYourUncle's gear list:BobsYourUncle's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D810 Nikon D5 +8 more
Vetteran
Vetteran Senior Member • Posts: 1,155

Forget the camera....probably the greatest composition and most interesting wedding shots I've ever seen.

-- hide signature --

Warm regards and very respectfully,
VETTRAN
My travel blog:www.midlifetravels.com

Vetteran's gear list:Vetteran's gear list
Leica Digilux Zoom Leica Digilux 2 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica X1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
neod Regular Member • Posts: 116

Austin101 wrote:

neod wrote:

Austin101 wrote:

nice but a camera system with a zoom or multiple primes will give you better results, there seems to be so many missing photos too.

why limit yourself ?

I think "limiting himself" with an X100s is what allowed him to capture these beautiful images the way he did. I don't think there is anything missing.

FYI, my wedding photographer shot our entire wedding with a D300 and the 35mm F1.8 Prime. And the keep ratio from the 300+ shots was way higher than we expected.

so you think limiting yourself to just a single wide lens is enough to truly capture a whole wedding?

I think these photos say otherwise

I dunno what you idea of capturing a whole wedding is... if you mean the standardized "everyone line up" shots, then yes, even those can be done with a 35mm. Otherwise, all you is true atmospheric shots without asking for people to pose for shots. That's what makes for great wedding shots to me.

neod's gear list:neod's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony a6000 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
shawnfb Contributing Member • Posts: 559

great stuff

-- hide signature --

shawn

larryhokie Regular Member • Posts: 455

Fantastic work.

Larry

larryhokie's gear list:larryhokie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 +2 more
Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

NumberOne wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

I did it yesterday. Photographed a full wedding with just the X100S--

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/fuji-x100s-wedding-photography-colorado/

Not bashing the X100S, but the many amazing pictures - IMO - reflect more the photographer's excellence/skills than the system's quality/usability for this kind of work...

Best regards,
Pedro

and the equipment has nothing to do with it as long as it is a Fuji, right?

bpatient Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: Excellent

theranman wrote:

He only shoots portraits of people with very narrow noses.

The optical delusion makes them appear normal in post production.

I think that the term "optical delusion" is a keeper.

palincss Contributing Member • Posts: 752

Vetteran wrote:

Forget the camera....probably the greatest composition and most interesting wedding shots I've ever seen.

But the main point for this forum is that the camera did not get in the way of the photographer or prevent capturing these images.  On second thought, perhaps that does count as "forgetting the camera."

ryanshoots Regular Member • Posts: 401
Thank you Re: X100S - Full Wedding

Nicely done, Brian!  Very enjoyable well composed set.

Sorry not everyone likes them, or found them the end all be all of wedding photography - as if you stated they were.  A bit like going to the museum and wondering what the paint or brush was made of, I believe.  Appreciate them for what they are.

It was however, a nice break from the cat photos they normally post, and I thank you.

Trollshavethebestcandy
Trollshavethebestcandy Contributing Member • Posts: 502

Camera, good.

Photography, awesome.

I bet they will treasure the photographs.

I loved lots of the shots but the guy in the pew with the bolo tie was awesome.

Austin101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,410

BrianKraft wrote:

nonicks wrote:

Austin101 wrote:

neod wrote:

Austin101 wrote:

nice but a camera system with a zoom or multiple primes will give you better results, there seems to be so many missing photos too.

why limit yourself ?

I think "limiting himself" with an X100s is what allowed him to capture these beautiful images the way he did. I don't think there is anything missing.

FYI, my wedding photographer shot our entire wedding with a D300 and the 35mm F1.8 Prime. And the keep ratio from the 300+ shots was way higher than we expected.

so you think limiting yourself to just a single wide lens is enough to truly capture a whole wedding?

I think these photos say otherwise

Great shots,some are amazing, there. But I have to agree the there are so many missing pictures if this represents a full wedding. Good that the guy was not the main photog, so whatever he got here are all nice addition to the main album.

Um... this is just a blog post of some of the photos-- some of my favorites.

Plus, the main photographer was there, with a 2nd shooter, and an assistant. So I was the 4th person there, with the main goal of not getting in their way. I was shooting for myself. The couple wasn't expecting any of these photos. You need to account for all of that before you think that simply because all I had was a 35mm lens, that it was the thing that kept you from seeing all the photos you may expect.

but you've promoted this as if you were the main shooter

denyfate New Member • Posts: 24

Austin101 wrote:

but you've promoted this as if you were the main shooter

No where did he in this post imply he was the primary photographer.. and if you increase your attention span even for 2 seconds and read the first two sentences of his blog, he clearly says he is not the primary photographer and he was just tagging along..

Lightpath48 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,984

As a second shooter many moons ago (the stone age when photographers dared to shoot weddings with one "normal" focal length and a few boxes of 220 roll film, heaven forbid!) I enjoyed choice of subjects, angles and framing, and unique tone renderings. Some of your takes are simply stunning. To others I would have applied levels differently, but that would be my eye and not yours. Thanks for posting!

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
alpha90290
alpha90290 Regular Member • Posts: 255

Great job, Brian

I like the way you took the wedding photos

However, I feel that the dance floor photos could be better if you use a better flash.

Plakanina Contributing Member • Posts: 814

BrianKraft wrote:

I like the overhead b&w dance shot the best. Tell me. Why do you seem to like not having blacks in your photos? They would, I think, have more impact. They all are not just a little but very flat in contrast.

Thanks for the post and your review.

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
plevyadophy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,258

BrianKraft wrote:

Bravo!!

Well done.

It's not my style, but once I got into your style of shooting I could see what it is you were doing and I liked the consistent quality and there were some real gems in there.

You mentioned the issue of noise in the images, and like a lot of us DPReview geeks I did notice the noise and at first it kinda irritate a little; but then after a few images, I got into your style and I quite liked the noise as it fitted in with the look you were aiming for.

Really, looking at your work, I see no reason why you couldn't do your own wedding gig (rather than being second shooter, as you were here) shot entirely on this camera. Whether your clients will accept that, or wedding guests will perceive you to be the pro shooter is another question (I guess you could always bring along a "serious" looking camera that you have around your shoulder, with a light prime lens on it so as to reduce weight, that you never use and is just their as a prop ("hey everybody I am a pro!" ) whilst you use the Fuji for the entire shoot). I would say though that you will have to be a little more careful with the focal length of the X100s coz you got a close up of a cute little girl but you got too close coz her head is a little distorted,but other than that I loved the portfolio.

Apsphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 503

outstanding work.

Alan

-- hide signature --

Alan Smallbone
Orange county, CA

Apsphoto's gear list:Apsphoto's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 +15 more
CraigArnold Contributing Member • Posts: 696

Well done Brian.

I like your style of composition, though not a massive fan of the PP.

Shooting weddings is a difficult proposition. Bland and competent is often preferred to stylish and unusual. There are only a handful of great wedding photographers who can manage to be stylish and still cover the boring stuff.

The only wedding I've shot in years was done entirely with an X100. I am just an amateur though, so I only really have to please myself and my friends.

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://craigspics.net/?tag=blog
X100 (Classic) Blog ----------------- http://craigspics.net/?cat=6
X100 (Classic) Quickstart Guide -- http://craigspics.net/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Alpha a7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
hjheathcote Forum Member • Posts: 59

Let's just pause a second.....

These photos are EPIC.

Brian - you have a truly amazing eye.

Can I ask one question, however. How were these processed? I understand from you previous post that you used Lightroom 4, but how do you achieve the effect?

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Heff. 16 years old, UK.

Austin101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,410

hjheathcote wrote:

Let's just pause a second.....

These photos are EPIC.

Brian - you have a truly amazing eye.

Can I ask one question, however. How were these processed? I understand from you previous post that you used Lightroom 4, but how do you achieve the effect?

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Heff. 16 years old, UK.

He used VSCO filters, I also have an X100s and LR4.4 and VSCO filters, once you use the VSCO filters you know the signature.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads