Greetings Nikon Lens Forum...major Issue inside...

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions
JMD-70 Senior Member • Posts: 2,090
Greetings Nikon Lens Forum...major Issue inside...

Check this, I have a serious problem and I'm trying to prevent having a $1700 paper weight on my hands!  You see, I sent my 28-70 F/2.8 in for repair at a local D.C. repair shop,...(Google).  THis was due to the lens suddenly stopped zooming or focusing,...I forget because it's been at the shop for so long!  Apparently, there is a piece in the lens that enables the "lens" to zoom!  I was told that it's a precision piece that is shaped like a tuning fork, etc.  Anyway, I'm being told that Nikon doesn't have the part in stock.  Well, I was told that for 4 to 6 months.  Nor did they have the tech data so that it could be made at a local machine shop, etc.  Note, my lens has been out of commission since July of 2012!  Yes,..that long!  Well, about a month ago, I was finally asked,..."do you want us to send your lens to Nikon?"  What!,...I'm thinking,...damn,...you could have done that 5 months ago.  Well, they sent it to NIkon,..I believe it was sent to Nikon in Melville NY and about 30 days passed again before I did a status check and NOW I'm told it cannot be repaired!  So naturally, I'm thinking at like $1700-per-hour!  I cannot believe or wnat to accept this.  I then asked the Customer Service 'person',..."So, what are you saying,...I will have a $1700 paperweight now?"  He didn't answer,...we a little talked more,...and again I asked the question,...Are you saying I'll now have a $1700 paperweight?,...and he finally answered,..."that's about the size of it".

Now, I may not get the lens repaired,..but I'll prolly never spend big bucks on another lens ever again!

Nikon, this is unexcuseable!  Fail,...Major Fail,..Freak'n Major Fail!

Please, recommendations are on this are highly encouraged!  Thank you vm...

-- hide signature --

JMD
...D3s/D3/WT-4/Eye-Fi 8GB X2 Pro
......ITP Pro 2.0
.........Nikon forever~
Yes! The Eye-Fi works with D3 and D3s!

JMD-70's gear list:JMD-70's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Rence Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: Greetings Nikon Lens Forum...major Issue inside...

Sounds to me like the issue is your local repair shop.

stany buyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,957

JMD-70 wrote:

Check this, I have a serious problem and I'm trying to prevent having a $1700 paper weight on my hands! You see, I sent my 28-70 F/2.8 in for repair at a local D.C. repair shop,...(Google). ...

Nikon, this is unexcuseable! Fail,...Major Fail,..Freak'n Major Fail!

Please, recommendations are on this are highly encouraged! Thank you vm...

-- hide signature --

JMD
......ITP Pro 2.0
.........Nikon forever~

As I understand, you should blame the shop you send it to, not Nikon...

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle
http://www.nikonuser.info/fotoforum
I like better one good picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second..

stany buyle's gear list:stany buyle's gear list
Nikon D1
Johnhk Regular Member • Posts: 211

That is not a good situation to find oneself in, for sure. May I ask, how old is the lens? It seems strange that Nikon cannot repair a lens; they should have parts for lenses they still sell, or am I not understanding something?

ofior Contributing Member • Posts: 587

I believe this lens was discuontinued in 2007. You may want to verify a couple of things:

1- How long is Nikon committed to keep repair parts after discontinuing a lens? I thought that was 10 years.

2- Why did Nikon say the lens cannot be repaired? was it parts availability, or economical cost of repair, which might indicate they found other issues?

If number 2, that is always a problem. I would try some of the biggest independents, such as APS in Morton grove.

Hate these situations, let us know how you make out. Good luck

Ozzie

ofior's gear list:ofior's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,868

You should have sent it to nikon.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

pavi1 wrote:

You should have sent it to nikon.

If out of warranty, I'd send it to APS over Nikon

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +17 more
OP JMD-70 Senior Member • Posts: 2,090

Ozzie, thk you vm for your reply.  Supposely, the simple part needed is no longer in Nikon's parts bin.

I'm going to attempt to get a part number,...and some technical information on the lens.  Supposively, the cost to repoar the lens would have been about $250.

In addition,...the shop told me they had 4 other 28-70 F/2.8 lenses in for the same issue!  Imagine that...

Note, I blame the shop for poor customer service,...I blame Nikon for not having the part on a lense that is within the 10 year span it was last produce.

I know that foreign auto mfrs must supply parts for at least 10 years when they no longer sell cars in the U.S.  Peugeot is the only mfr I know that came to the U.S. and failed and had to do this,....remember the Peugeot 505 Turbo commercials,...a red Peugeot crashing into the bedroom,....well I bought one (Black),...and the value failed as fast as I made the payments,...it literally fell apart,...and to this day, you couldn't give me a freak'n Peugeot. Anyway,...digressing!

Thk you for a sensible reply...

-- hide signature --

JMD
......ITP Pro 2.0
.........Nikon forever~

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
OP JMD-70 Senior Member • Posts: 2,090

I'm going to try to get a Part number from the local shop and see where that takes me.

Thk guys....as this is one paperweight I'd like to have mounted on my D3.

-- hide signature --

JMD
......ITP Pro 2.0
.........Nikon forever~

Nikon D500 Nikon D850

JMD-70 wrote:

I'm going to try to get a Part number from the local shop and see where that takes me.

Thk guys....as this is one paperweight I'd like to have mounted on my D3.

Yours is not the first but it is really just beginning. All AFS lenses will eventually break and most will be unrepairable at that time because of lack of parts. The price you pay for speed. On the other hand, most AFD lenses will never break, there will just come a day when they will not autofocus on any new camera.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,188
Some thoughts ...

JMD-70 wrote:

Check this, I have a serious problem and I'm trying to prevent having a $1700 paper weight on my hands! You see, I sent my 28-70 F/2.8 in for repair at a local D.C. repair shop,...(Google). THis was due to the lens suddenly stopped zooming or focusing,...I forget because it's been at the shop for so long! Apparently, there is a piece in the lens that enables the "lens" to zoom! I was told that it's a precision piece that is shaped like a tuning fork, etc. Anyway, I'm being told that Nikon doesn't have the part in stock. Well, I was told that for 4 to 6 months. Nor did they have the tech data so that it could be made at a local machine shop, etc. Note, my lens has been out of commission since July of 2012! Yes,..that long! Well, about a month ago, I was finally asked,..."do you want us to send your lens to Nikon?" What!,...I'm thinking,...damn,...you could have done that 5 months ago. Well, they sent it to NIkon,..I believe it was sent to Nikon in Melville NY and about 30 days passed again before I did a status check and NOW I'm told it cannot be repaired! So naturally, I'm thinking at like $1700-per-hour! I cannot believe or wnat to accept this. I then asked the Customer Service 'person',..."So, what are you saying,...I will have a $1700 paperweight now?" He didn't answer,...we a little talked more,...and again I asked the question,...Are you saying I'll now have a $1700 paperweight?,...and he finally answered,..."that's about the size of it".

I can feel you pain, but ...

First, as several others have pointed out, it seem to me the main culprit in causing the long delay is your local shop, not Nikon.

Second, this is a lens that was replaced by the AF-S 24/70/2.8 in 2007, and as far as I understand the 28-70 was actually not produced for a while even before that, so it is probably at least like six years ago they stopped manufacturing this lens. Now, supposedly, Nikon aim at keeping spare parts around for ten years after a lens was last manufactured, but the 28-70/2.8 - as nice as it is in many other ways - is unfortunately a design prone to many breakdowns. Search this forum, and you will find quite a few threads on the very same brakedown you had. So Nikon might have run out of some of these spare parts a bit earlier then expected.

Third, talk to any experienced Nikon support technician about disassembling, repairing and assembling back lenses and they will usually gladly tell you about it. But if you mention the 28-70/2.8 it is very likely the same technician will jump and look pale all of a sudden. That lens has a horrible internal design (part of why it is prone to breaking down) and is an absolute nightmare to repair. I had one 28-70 where the focus motor died, in most AF-S lenses a fairly easy repair. But the guy owning our local Nikon repair shop (a guy with some 35 years of experience repairing Nikon stuff) showed me the instructions for taking apart the 28-70 and plainly said he was reluctant to do it since the repair would cost quite a bit more then I paid for the lens ... (ok, I got it fairly cheap, but anyway)

Now, I may not get the lens repaired,..but I'll prolly never spend big bucks on another lens ever again!

You had the bad luck of choosing one of the worst lens designs ever in a repair perspective. Not all other lenses are that prone to breaking down and being so expensive and difficult to repair.

Nikon, this is unexcuseable! Fail,...Major Fail,..Freak'n Major Fail!

Please, recommendations are on this are highly encouraged! Thank you vm...

Judging from your gear list, you seem like a pro or very ambitious enthusiast. My advice: Get a AF-S 24-70/2.8 and just get on with your photography ... The 28-70, nice as it is in many ways, might not be worth the effort any more.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
ofior Contributing Member • Posts: 587

Ok, stupid question I know, bthe won't AFS lenses focus manually, even if their motors fail?

Until recently, I owned only AFD lenses, and have not had any of my AFS lenses fail........yet

ozzie

ofior's gear list:ofior's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more

ofior wrote:

Ok, stupid question I know, bthe won't AFS lenses focus manually, even if their motors fail?

Until recently, I owned only AFD lenses, and have not had any of my AFS lenses fail........yet

ozzie

Yes you can manual focus an AFS lens, even if it is not broken. The OP said the zoom was also not working. No ideal how often this happens with an AFD lens.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973

JMD-70 wrote:

Ozzie, thk you vm for your reply. Supposely, the simple part needed is no longer in Nikon's parts bin.

I'm going to attempt to get a part number,...and some technical information on the lens. Supposively, the cost to repoar the lens would have been about $250.

In addition,...the shop told me they had 4 other 28-70 F/2.8 lenses in for the same issue! Imagine that...

Note, I blame the shop for poor customer service,...I blame Nikon for not having the part on a lense that is within the 10 year span it was last produce.

I know that foreign auto mfrs must supply parts for at least 10 years when they no longer sell cars in the U.S. Peugeot is the only mfr I know that came to the U.S. and failed and had to do this,....remember the Peugeot 505 Turbo commercials,...a red Peugeot crashing into the bedroom,....well I bought one (Black),...and the value failed as fast as I made the payments,...it literally fell apart,...and to this day, you couldn't give me a freak'n Peugeot. Anyway,...digressing!

I don't know the time limit manufacturer's must maintain parts after a product is discontinued, but I recall being told a couple of times about 15 years ago that it was 7 years, not 10, when I tried asking about getting parts for some Sony products (TV and Radio). Their way of handling this situation was to substantially increase the price of parts (by several hundred percent) to discourage customers from reducing their old inventory to zero. A few years later I asked about the cost to buy another old VCR remote and the price I was quoted was almost as much as the original cost of the VCR.

That said, even if the time limit is only 7 years Nikon should still be obligated to supply parts because according to KR's review, the 28-70mm lens was sold until early 2008, which was only 5 years ago.

Production History

Introduced in 1999 and sold until replaced by the improved, lighter and even more expensive 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S in late 2007. It was sold through early 2008.

Nikon made about 130,000 of these 28-70/2.8 lenses.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2870afs.htm

nunatak Senior Member • Posts: 2,750
grey market or local?

JMD-70 wrote:

...I blame Nikon for not having the part on a lense that is within the 10 year span it was last produce.

i can see Nikon not servicing this lens because it was a grey market import. i can't see them running out of parts so soon in the service cycle. whether it's the former or the latter, i'd suggest contacting Nikon headquarters in Japan to see if you could send it to them for service.

-- hide signature --

design guy

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,585
Re: grey market or local?

Once again, good ole Nikon support(ers) to the rescue.

OP, thanks for reporting. My 28-70 auto focus motor died on me about 6 months ago and I "was" thinking about sending it off the Melville for repair but I'm not so sure now.

Incidentally I bought my lens in May of 2005. Perhaps it's a bit silly of me to expect such a high dollar piece of equipment to last at least 10 years. But hey, Nikon made it, so I should be glad it lasted as long as it did.

And no... this wasn't a workhorse lens that seen constant use all the time.  And I was just talking to an old friend a couple of weeks ago and he informed me his 28-70 suddenly died as well. Just wow.

Anyway I can at least use mine manually so it's not completely useless.

BTW... at least my once repaired squeaky AF-S 17-35 is still working, for now.

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

ralphcramdon Senior Member • Posts: 1,170

JMD-70 wrote:

Ozzie, thk you vm for your reply. Supposely, the simple part needed is no longer in Nikon's parts bin.

I'm going to attempt to get a part number,...and some technical information on the lens. Supposively, the cost to repoar the lens would have been about $250.

In addition,...the shop told me they had 4 other 28-70 F/2.8 lenses in for the same issue! Imagine that...

I know that foreign auto mfrs must supply parts for at least 10 years when they no longer sell cars in the U.S. Peugeot is the only mfr I know that came to the U.S. and failed and had to do this,....remember the Peugeot 505 Turbo commercials,...a red Peugeot crashing into the bedroom,....well I bought one (Black),...and the value failed as fast as I made the payments,...it literally fell apart,...and to this day, you couldn't give me a freak'n Peugeot. Anyway,...digressing!

Thk you for a sensible reply...

1. the lens is not $1700

2. nikon only keeps parts for 7 years

3. send the lens to nikon for repair

Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,188

ADMint wrote:

OP, thanks for reporting. My 28-70 auto focus motor died on me about 6 months ago and I "was" thinking about sending it off the Melville for repair but I'm not so sure now.

Incidentally I bought my lens in May of 2005. Perhaps it's a bit silly of me to expect such a high dollar piece of equipment to last at least 10 years. But hey, Nikon made it, so I should be glad it lasted as long as it did.

That was a bit rude on Nikon

And no... this wasn't a workhorse lens that seen constant use all the time. And I was just talking to an old friend a couple of weeks ago and he informed me his 28-70 suddenly died as well. Just wow.

Look, the 28-70/2.8 is a notorious lens for breakdowns and expensive repairs. All manufacturers have some lenses which turn out to be less successful designs (optically, in terms of durability, or both), if you think this is limited to Nikon, you need to think again.

And professional grade or not, more extreme designs (and back in 1999 the 28-70/2.8 was indeed a pretty extreme design) are more prone to problems then more pedestrian designs.

I have several lenses which have happily clicked away several hundreds of thousands of images, and still works as well as when I first bough them - used. I have also had a couple of breakdowns, one of them a AF-S 28-70/2.8 What broke down? The focus motor died, probably caused by the entire chassi of the lens being somewhat bent out of shape from a fall or something which put heavy stress on the motor.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,605
A lesson here . . . and a future solution.

Always insure all your equipment!!!! In the USA a simple home owners insurance rider would have cost 1% a year. $17.00 well spent! Even for 7 years at $119. Your lens would have been covered. If you are a working pro, which I suspect you are not, the insurance is more costly.

If you rent, rather than own, the place where you live you might have renters insurance available. I have roughly $10,000 worth of equipment insured. Theft, breakage, disappearance, accidents, etc. No lens filters needed. Peace of mind for less than $9 a month. Something to think about.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +32 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,585

Grevture wrote:

ADMint wrote:

OP, thanks for reporting. My 28-70 auto focus motor died on me about 6 months ago and I "was" thinking about sending it off the Melville for repair but I'm not so sure now.

That was a bit rude on Nikon

And no... this wasn't a workhorse lens that seen constant use all the time. And I was just talking to an old friend a couple of weeks ago and he informed me his 28-70 suddenly died as well. Just wow.

Look, the 28-70/2.8 is a notorious lens for breakdowns and expensive repairs. All manufacturers have some lenses which turn out to be less successful designs (optically, in terms of durability, or both), if you think this is limited to Nikon, you need to think again.

Dude I don't care who it is, when you spend the type of money you spend on "Pro" lenses, whether made by Canon, Nikon, and any other big time lens maker, you expect it to last; and if it should fail or need repair, you should be able to have it repaired at least within a 10 year period. I don't think that's asking too much.

And this line "Look, the 28-70/2.8 is a notorious lens for breakdowns and expensive repairs" is laughable and makes it seem like it's our fault for not seeing into the future. HUH????

Nikon's actions of late - not allowing for third party repairs, not selling parts to outsiders, QA issues, and slowly declining customer service really is something to be concerned about if you own Nikon gear.

Additionally, you now get the worry about whether they will or won't miraculously discover your warranted item(s) has... impact damage, even though you've not done so much as breath too hard on the item.  Suddenly the warranty you thought you had is null & void and you're stuck with a huge repair bill. Yes, very comforting indeed owning Nikon gear these days.

And so, are the other guys better? I don't know, I only have Nikon.

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads