6D autofocus -success and failure

Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions
Spad16
Spad16 Senior Member • Posts: 1,191
6D autofocus -success and failure

First a Green finch from the garden this morning. This was taken with the 400/5.6, 1.4TC and 36mm extension tube. This is a great combination but was strictly manual focus on the 40D, on the 6D you can do autofocus, rather slowly and it dithers, but it gets there. I find this ability very useful because to do manual focus means lifting up one hand , and that often spooks the bird, and manual focus with my eyes isn't so great any longer (see below), the 6D autofocus is extremely accurate in this situation, so I've found it worth waiting for.  I do think you need a bit of sun on the subject for it to manage though. 

Green finch

Heres a couple from a walk today, I like the ability of the 6D to capture really far off objects, without hesitation, this is taken with the 400 and 1.4TC. First zoomed in and heavily processed in Lightroom, just to show whats possible, I know it's not a great photo. 

Fairchild Swearingen Metroliner

ANd heres the original unprocessed photo, as you can see it was really far off.

Fairchild Swearingen Metroliner

And finally a failure, this is from Wednesday which was one of those days with a horrible white sky. It's possible I've been a bit one-sided in my praise of the 6D, so just for a change here's something that it wouldn't do!

Eurasian buzzard

It was in a tree on the side of the road, I tried with the 1.4 TC, but it was too far off, so I put on the 2X TC and tried to autofocus, it dithered all over the place, eventually I just gave up and did manual focus, didn't work so well either, my eyesight is getting too poor. I guess I should have put it in live-view, but I was in a hurry, and didn't have the patience. I can't really understand why it will do autofocus some of the time , but not on a dull day. I noticed this on the 40D even with the 1.4TC, in some light it just wouldn't cooperate.

Hope you like the photos (except the last two!)

/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
leroyvanhee Senior Member • Posts: 1,828
Re: 6D autofocus -success and failure

The Canon spec on the teleconverter states in part "autofocus is possible on any EOS camera when combined with a lens having an f/4 or faster maximum aperture."

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/lenses/extender_ef_1_4x_ii

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,749

probably better off without TC, green finch look not bad though.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +10 more
GHwell Senior Member • Posts: 2,008
Re: birds viberate

IN cold weather you will be suprised how they viberate.  you need a fast shutter to control this.

Spad16
OP Spad16 Senior Member • Posts: 1,191

Well that's a joke, autofocus with 1.4 TC has been possible with the 400/5.6 even on the old 300D, and the 40D did it quite well, the 6D does it easily with the 1.4 and in good conditions will even do it with a 2XTC. Its about time Canon woke up to that, and allow people to use Canons own TC's. And it looks like they will, if this is to be believed:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/03/canon-eos-6d-firmware-by-june-cr1/

/Neil

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Mike K Veteran Member • Posts: 5,525
Re: 6D autofocus -another route to f8 AF

Spad16 wrote: This was taken with the 400/5.6, 1.4TC and 36mm extension tube. This is a great combination but was strictly manual focus on the 40D, on the 6D you can do autofocus, rather slowly and it dithers, but it gets there. I find this ability very useful because to do manual focus means lifting up one hand , and that often spooks the bird, and manual focus with my eyes isn't so great any longer (see below), the 6D autofocus is extremely accurate in this situation, so I've found it worth waiting for. I do think you need a bit of sun on the subject for it to manage though.

I find that the 6D contrast AF to work much better than the same setting on the 5DII. Contrast AF is Live View AF Called "Flexizone " AF in the 6D menu for Live View. It was called Live "Live" in the 5DII. I am guessing that the lower noise in the 6D sensor output helps sort out contrast based AF and allows improved AF speed and reliability at f8 or smaller apertures, even with Canon TCs, which are reporting.

Mike K

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +9 more
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,158

Mike K wrote:

I find that the 6D contrast AF to work much better than the same setting on the 5DII. Contrast AF is Live View AF Called "Flexizone " AF in the 6D menu for Live View. It was called Live "Live" in the 5DII. I am guessing that the lower noise in the 6D sensor output helps sort out contrast based AF and allows improved AF speed and reliability at f8 or smaller apertures, even with Canon TCs, which are reporting.

Mike K

Sounds like a similar result to my 60D v. my 5DII - contrast AF on my 60D is quite useable for static subjects; not quite as good on my 5DII.
--
View my photo galleries here:
http://www.peteralessandriaphotography.com
http://www.greatproductshots.com
http://greatproductshots.blogspot.com/

Spad16
OP Spad16 Senior Member • Posts: 1,191

Thanks mike, I sort of forgot about live-view on the 40D, I must try it again. Though it would have been tricky in this situation, as I was shooting out of the pasenger side window,  supporting on the head rest,  I don't think I'd have been able to hold the camera and focus with live view at the same time,  but come to think of it, if I'd let the camera focus in live-view it might have worked. Worth trying next time.

/Neil

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads