7,000+ in one Photoshop File for Print

Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions
MindInRewind Senior Member • Posts: 1,079
7,000+ in one Photoshop File for Print

Hello,

I'm not sure where to put this question and since it deals with Photoshop I'll ask in the Retouching forum.

I'm looking to take 7,000+ photos and put them all into one image for print.  I don't want gaps between images and i want portrait photos to bein portrait orientation and landscape photos to be in landscape orientation. I was wondering if there is an action or script out there that will enable me to do this as quickly as possible!?

If anyone can help me out, that would be wonderful.

~MIR

eagle_I
eagle_I Senior Member • Posts: 2,670
Re: 7,000+ in one Photoshop File for Print

MindInRewind wrote:

Hello,

I'm not sure where to put this question and since it deals with Photoshop I'll ask in the Retouching forum.

I'm looking to take 7,000+ photos and put them all into one image for print.

That's going to be a heck of a big print or very tiny (microscopic?) images.  I am trying to imagine what use this would be for ... can you explain?  The only idea that comes up for me is that sometime in my distant past I saw a large overall image (think it was a woman's face) that on close inspection would show it to be made up of tiny tone and color appropriate "pixel" sized images.  A mosaic.  Is this what you have in mind?

I don't want gaps between images and i want portrait photos to bein portrait orientation and landscape photos to be in landscape orientation.

I have done small multiple image projects where I've set up a grid that each individual image will "snap" to for automated alignment, but mine were all landscape.  Maybe if your proportions were say 2:4 and 4:2 they could be randomly intermixed, but I haven't a clue how it could be done automatically.  For a gapless mix the snap grid could be setup based on squares and maybe a automated routine could be made to repeat a pattern.

I was wondering if there is an action or script out there that will enable me to do this as quickly as possible!?

If anyone can help me out, that would be wonderful.

~MIR

Mark

TITCHY Senior Member • Posts: 1,187

MGI photosuite used to have a "tapestry" option to create a mosaic image from thousands of other images ,but the option only catered for landscape or portrait , and pictures that did not match the choosen format were cropped .

there is also andreamosaic http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photomosaics/ss/AndreaMosaic-Tutorial.htm

its free, and will make mosaics from thousands of pics with options for different "patterns" and layouts, its completely free , if you do not intend to make a mosaic image of one image (made from all the others) and simply want to place all the images "as is", then you could try going through the process but using a blank main image ,that way (if it works) you may just see the selected images laid out in order .

TITCHY's gear list:TITCHY's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon 85mm F1.8G +37 more
JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,524

You did not include any information on size or Aspect Ratios. You just stated you wanted Landscape and Portraits keep their orientation and do not state if they could be rotated so all images could printed the same size and aspect ratio where images that do not have the print aspect ratio will be a center crop of the image.

7,000 images printed wallet size like 2"x3" would be like 80' of roll paper 44" wide document. If it 300 DPI that will be 13,200 pixels by 287,100 pixels = 3,789,720,000 pixel total. If Photoshop can handle that many pixels and your computer is up to the task and images can be rotated so all can be tiled into the same size print you could try using my Photoshop script PasteImageRoll

Documentation

-- hide signature --

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Bob 1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,045

TITCHY... Thanks for sharing information about Andrea Mosaic.  Regards, Bob

Bob 1's gear list:Bob 1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +4 more
JJMacks
Photoshop supports up 8,0000 layer I think

If images do not have the same aspect ratio as the tile layers will have more pixel then are printed excess pixels will be masked off.  If your images are color color and your print document has nearly 4 Gig Pixel the print document  has 12 GBytes of pixel data for Photoshop defaults to 8 bit color when bit depth is not specified.  Your computer need lots of resources and the script will take a long time to produce the 7,001 layer print document.

-- hide signature --

JJMack

Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,968

I am not sure how you plan to do this or resolution of images. You may have a problem with printing this in CS6. My wife and I create a Xmas card each year composed of images taken throughout the year and we send printed copies of the card to friends. The images are all retained at maximum resolution so that we can print the card in various sizes and change the size of the individual images as desired. This year's card consisted of over 180 layers (images modified to fit into the overall image) and resulted in a photoshop file of over 1.7GB. The layers are not merged, so that the card can be freely modified. When we attempted to print in CS6, we got a window which indicated that photoshop had a problem and was forced to close. However, I found that I could open the file in CS5 and print it with no problem. I don't know if this is a bug in CS6 or if the CS6 print program has problems printing files with a large number of layers or with a large file size.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
JJMacks
CS6 has many bugs and may abort unexpectedly.

Where trying the same thing may work the next time. On mt Windows 7 CS6 machine CS6 fails regularly but may run for days without aborting. My aborts seem to be confined to four areas in a ScriptUI module, ATI Video Driver ,Image Dll and to a lesser degree in Photoshop.exe itself.

If your running Windows 7 you may see a Photoshop error report in your system reliability report

Photoshop has many bugs that have not been addressed.

Photoshop supports up to 8,000 layers.

-- hide signature --

JJMack

drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,968
Re: CS6 has many bugs and may abort unexpectedly.

I am running Windows7 on an Intel I7 2600k with in NVIDIA GTX560 ti - 2GB video card and 16GB system memory.  It will allow everything (no problems with editing or creating layers) except printing the file.  I am not sure how many layers I had when it first failed to print on a test image and closed.  Fortunately I had not uninstalled CS5 and CS5 will print the files with no problems.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
OP MindInRewind Senior Member • Posts: 1,079

JJMacks wrote:

You did not include any information on size or Aspect Ratios. You just stated you wanted Landscape and Portraits keep their orientation and do not state if they could be rotated so all images could printed the same size and aspect ratio where images that do not have the print aspect ratio will be a center crop of the image.

7,000 images printed wallet size like 2"x3" would be like 80' of roll paper 44" wide document. If it 300 DPI that will be 13,200 pixels by 287,100 pixels = 3,789,720,000 pixel total. If Photoshop can handle that many pixels and your computer is up to the task and images can be rotated so all can be tiled into the same size print you could try using my Photoshop script PasteImageRoll

Documentation

I'm not sure what size yet.  I may want it wall size or i may want it 24x30 with very small images (maybe not all 7,000).  I was just curious if there was an easy way to do it.  But i feel that I may have to do it by hand and may need a faster computer to handle a couple thousand layers. time to go shopping, i guess.  will see what happens.  and I will let you know how it goes.

~MIR

JJMacks

It is easy to automate tiling images into a document when the tiles have a uniform size and image can be rotated to match the tile's origination. You can also use square tile sizes no image need be rotated but all tiles will be square center image crops. That is what PasteImageRoll was programmed to do. Note the following examples. 52 image mixed Portraits an Landscape tiled with 4"x6" tiles on 16" wide stock and tiled 4"x4" on 16" stock. One will print 16" wide by 78" high 4"x6" tiles the other 16" wide 52" high 4"x4" tiles. However I do not know if 7,000 image document is possible and if possible how long the build would take.

-- hide signature --

JJMack

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads