The new Samsung 50 - 200 mm III arrived - are there any questions?

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions
Usee
OP Usee Senior Member • Posts: 2,223
Re: The new Samsung 50 - 200 mm III arrived - are there any questions?

viking79 wrote:

Usee wrote:

timedrun wrote:

Shame, but thanks for posting. It is a similar story with my MK1, it's pretty nice (for what it is) up to 150mm, again, thanks for taking the time.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

Yes,

it is a shame, how a good idea is badly executed, thus wasting time, energie, ressources and nerves.

I like to see a first class 60-240 mm F4 zoom - if it is well executed (tack sharp across the frame - wide open and with nice bokeh!), it would be worth spending even 1000.- €

I assume you are referring to the SMC Pentax DA* 60-250mm f/4? I love that lens, and yes, it is well over $1000 US.

I'm not referring to a particular lens, but good to know for Samsung, that a good lens in that range already exists.

I think your shots look pretty typical for a 50-200 mm kit lens (from most brands). People always judge the lens over the entire range, but forget that a lens like a Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 covers a lesser range, and in the case of the Pentax DA 50-200mm I had at one point, it was pretty good over the 50-135mm range, but also goes out to 200. It was also light in comparison, but it was easy to say it wasn't good at 200mm so dismiss the lens.

Eric

Even if it were a 18-270 mm zoom...

...the misalignment isn't acceptable - the performance at 200 maybe...

...but why carry a slow lens with a 200 mm capability, if one doesn't like the sharpness at that range?

-

Look at the sharpness on the left of the frame at 100 mm and 50 mm...

...and compare that with the right side of the frame - day and night!

-

I assume, You wouldn't like to discard (at least) a third of the frame - every time You take a picture with that lens?

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

Btw.:

You call that lens a "kit lens" - then, where is the non "kit lens" of the lineup?

...still waiting for a excellent 60-240 mm F4 OIS lens...

-- hide signature --

Envy is the highest form of recognition.
Stop to run, start to think.
Think twice - that doubles the fun!
Your world is as big, as Your mind.
Avoid to have only one point of view!
Uli

Usee's gear list:Usee's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 2D/3D Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S
eilivk Senior Member • Posts: 1,986
Samsung 50 - 200 mm - to get rid of the OIS

There is no OIS switch on my lens. In the camera user manual I can only find OIS 1 and 2, no way to turn it completely off. Mode 1: OIS is only in use when the shutter button is pressed halfway down or completely down. - So there is no way I can get rid of the OIS completely? Better if I press the shutter completely down at once, not halfpress? No tricks to get rid of it? Just had the camera for a short time, fine if someone can tell me how to minimize the softness.

eilivk's gear list:eilivk's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Ricoh CX4 Sony RX1 +11 more
barfoo New Member • Posts: 17
Re: Samsung 50 - 200 mm - to get rid of the OIS

eilivk wrote:

There is no OIS switch on my lens. In the camera user manual I can only find OIS 1 and 2, no way to turn it completely off.

Lenses with OIS have a physical switch to turn it on and off; the mode 1/2 setting only applies to lenses that are actually OIS-capable. If there's no switch, it's presumably not an OIS lens.

timedrun Contributing Member • Posts: 683

sorry for my curtness, i have drifted into a rather lazy manner of communicating on dpr, due to it's international user base i have adopted a staccato english, devoid of regional flavour, and manners

i wholeheartedly thank you for posting empirical evidence of the lens's performance, and again apologise for any offence potentially caused by my truncuated response to your efforts.

-- hide signature --

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8

barfoo wrote:

eilivk wrote:

There is no OIS switch on my lens. In the camera user manual I can only find OIS 1 and 2, no way to turn it completely off.

Lenses with OIS have a physical switch to turn it on and off; the mode 1/2 setting only applies to lenses that are actually OIS-capable. If there's no switch, it's presumably not an OIS lens.

Strange, text on the lens "50-200 OIS", but can't find any OIS switch. Only AF - MF switch and an iFn button that can be pressed down (what does it do?). So what lens could this be?

Canon PowerShot G10 Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Ricoh CX4 Sony RX1 +11 more
Raf007 Regular Member • Posts: 178

Only the first version of 50-200mm has an OIS switch on the lens itself, OIS in version II is controlled in camera's menu. So you have 50-200mm v. II.

barfoo New Member • Posts: 17

eilivk wrote:

Strange, text on the lens "50-200 OIS", but can't find any OIS switch. Only AF - MF switch and an iFn button that can be pressed down (what does it do?). So what lens could this be?

My mistake then; I had thought that all OIS lenses had a switch. The iFn button gives you quicker access to certain menu functions (described in the manual), but doesn't do anything you can't do from the camera menus. I haven't used the new version of the lens (I have the older 50-200). Maybe the iFn menu lets you turn OIS on and off...

Usee

eilivk wrote:

barfoo wrote:

eilivk wrote:

Maybe if You update to the latest firmware of Your camera, You get the additional option to turn the OIS off, like within my NX1000 menu?

...but at least the 50-200 I tested, didn't become any better, no matter which OIS setting I used and no matter wether on tripod or not, so don't worry, if You can't turn it off...

...exept for battery life.

-- hide signature --

Uli

Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 2D/3D Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S

Raf007 wrote:

Only the first version of 50-200mm has an OIS switch on the lens itself, OIS in version II is controlled in camera's menu. So you have 50-200mm v. II.

Thanks! But can't find where to switch it off in the camera (NX10). Just OIS 1 and 2.

Early test photos were sharp and fine.

Did not mean to hijack the thread. Just a bit confused...

Raf007 Regular Member • Posts: 178

It is how it looks on my NX200. If you dont have these options on your camera maybe, as Usee suggested, you should update the lens' or the body's firmware. My lens firmware is  1.10.

Thanks again! No Off option under OIS. Got body firmware 01.15 and lens firmware 0.10.

Sorry, lens firmware 01.10!

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137

Usee wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Usee wrote:

timedrun wrote:

Shame, but thanks for posting. It is a similar story with my MK1, it's pretty nice (for what it is) up to 150mm, again, thanks for taking the time.

-- hide signature --

Yes,

it is a shame, how a good idea is badly executed, thus wasting time, energie, ressources and nerves.

I like to see a first class 60-240 mm F4 zoom - if it is well executed (tack sharp across the frame - wide open and with nice bokeh!), it would be worth spending even 1000.- €

I assume you are referring to the SMC Pentax DA* 60-250mm f/4? I love that lens, and yes, it is well over $1000 US.

I'm not referring to a particular lens, but good to know for Samsung, that a good lens in that range already exists.

I think your shots look pretty typical for a 50-200 mm kit lens (from most brands). People always judge the lens over the entire range, but forget that a lens like a Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 covers a lesser range, and in the case of the Pentax DA 50-200mm I had at one point, it was pretty good over the 50-135mm range, but also goes out to 200. It was also light in comparison, but it was easy to say it wasn't good at 200mm so dismiss the lens.

Eric

...but why carry a slow lens with a 200 mm capability, if one doesn't like the sharpness at that range?

-

Sorry, was speaking generally for that class of lens. You are right, that sample appears softer on the right. That might bug me I would want a good copy. I have an 18-55mm kit that is that way too.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Calico Jack Senior Member • Posts: 2,306

It looks much like a Sony/Minolta A-Mount as well!

-- hide signature --

Mark @ Sonolta * Photography

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +26 more
Usee

viking79 wrote:

Usee wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Usee wrote:

timedrun wrote:

-- hide signature --

Yes,

Eric

-

Sorry, was speaking generally for that class of lens. You are right, that sample appears softer on the right. That might bug me I would want a good copy. I have an 18-55mm kit that is that way too.

Eric

Beside that You are right, that it is a general problem of several manufactures and more often seen in stabilized super zoom lenses, which are technically far more demanding than a unstabilized prime lens...

...there is no excuse like:

"Oh, others do - so we (also) can!"

...because there is no alternative lens available from Samsung yet and

what really annoys me, is that one can see, that the optical construction of the 50-200 mm zoom, could deliver a very good performance for a lens in it's class (especially at it's price) - but fails to do so, simply because of faulty manufacturing!

A nice construction doomed to fail because it was thrown together and not assembled!

-

@all:

We shouldn't waste our ressources - so, stop making trash!

-- hide signature --

Uli

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads