New Canon on 22nd March?

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 58,580
Re: Nevermind

howardroark wrote:

Yeah, I don't want a bigger body either. I'm not sure the AF could be on par with the 1D X after what I've read about battery voltage affecting AF speed. The bigger battery on the 1D X produces a higher voltage allowing the AF system to respond more quickly (lens AF motor? don't recall where it comes in to play).

I'm pretty sure the battery voltage thing is nonsense. Canon lenses use ultrasonic motors, those aren't like DC motors where the higher the voltage the faster they go. For a start, they run off high voltages anyway, so there is a voltage converter providing the voltage they need (maybe around 100V). For a second, the speed depends on the frequency and phasing of the ultrasonic drive signals, and that is controlled by a microprocessor in the lens. It's another case of these web myths that is gaining currency amongst those who don't have experience with the type of technology in these devices.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Paul B Jones
Paul B Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,872
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

Seriously? You should visit the Nikon forums. Some unhappy campers there now.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

Paul B Jones wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

Seriously? You should visit the Nikon forums. Some unhappy campers there now.

Unhappy campers in all forums....indeed.

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
crazybadger Senior Member • Posts: 1,394
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

Paul B Jones wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

Seriously? You should visit the Nikon forums. Some unhappy campers there now.

It doesn't matter where he visits. He already said he likes the 7D, thinks the 5dIII is a "great camera", and acknowledges that the 6D is a "good camera". And yet still complains that canon don't do anything good. So simply complaining for complaining's sake.

Makes me think of this scene from Monty Python

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

To paraphrase "what have Canon ever done for us?"

 crazybadger's gear list:crazybadger's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +3 more
SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,946
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

Paul B Jones wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

Seriously? You should visit the Nikon forums. Some unhappy campers there now.

I know that...

 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,946
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

crazybadger wrote:

Paul B Jones wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

Seriously? You should visit the Nikon forums. Some unhappy campers there now.

It doesn't matter where he visits. He already said he likes the 7D, thinks the 5dIII is a "great camera", and acknowledges that the 6D is a "good camera". And yet still complains that canon don't do anything good. So simply complaining for complaining's sake.

Makes me think of this scene from Monty Python

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

To paraphrase "what have Canon ever done for us?"

Yes they are great cameras especially the 5D III, but I think Canon should of also given us intervalmeter, timelapse, and the shutter curtain to close off the viewfinder (although the last one not needed but would of been nice to have it on the camera)

 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 3,714
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

What we need is the Chinese to enter the DSLR market.  Then we can complain about the poor knock off quality.  Then after a few more years they will be pushing the Japanese vendors out of the market.

Don't laugh; it could happen.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 58,580
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?
1

SpartanWarrior wrote:

crazybadger wrote:

Paul B Jones wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

Seriously? You should visit the Nikon forums. Some unhappy campers there now.

It doesn't matter where he visits. He already said he likes the 7D, thinks the 5dIII is a "great camera", and acknowledges that the 6D is a "good camera". And yet still complains that canon don't do anything good. So simply complaining for complaining's sake.

Makes me think of this scene from Monty Python

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

To paraphrase "what have Canon ever done for us?"

Yes they are great cameras especially the 5D III, but I think Canon should of also given us intervalmeter, timelapse, and the shutter curtain to close off the viewfinder (although the last one not needed but would of been nice to have it on the camera)

That shutter blind is a real 'delight feature'. Marginal usefulnes, but delightful to have. The intervalometer, nice to have but I've never actually used it. The real plus feature the Nikons have is a sensible and useful VF display for the electronic level. I use it all the time. The Canon way of using the AF points is both imprecise and hard to read, it also means you have to switch between level and AF. Plus a lot to Nikon there.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 13,090
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

bobn2 wrote:

That shutter blind is a real 'delight feature'. Marginal usefulnes, but delightful to have.

I wouldn't have said marginal actually. It does seem a pity that when I'm using Live View on the 7D with any significant amount of light from behind I have to cover the eyepiece with a rag. Seems a bit primitive for a 'flagship' DSLR!!

The intervalometer, nice to have but I've never actually used it. The real plus feature the Nikons have is a sensible and useful VF display for the electronic level. I use it all the time. The Canon way of using the AF points is both imprecise and hard to read, it also means you have to switch between level and AF. Plus a lot to Nikon there.

I haven't seen the Nikon implementation, but Canon's is poor, that's a fact.

Sovern Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: Nevermind

jrkliny wrote:

It sounds like this thread is turning ugly. It does not help the strength of your argument to call people with different opinions names such as fools, or attritube their opinions to short attention spans and the need for constant entertainment.

The facts are that Canon is really slow in introducing new APS-C sensor technology. They have been using the same sensor since 2009. In the world of cameras and electronics, that is a really long time.

It does appear that Nikon has jumped ahead both with APS-C and FF sensors. I am not really impressed with Nikon either. I would like to believe that Canon is going to soon trump the offerings from Nikon or at least catch up with sensor performance. My conclusion is that manufacturers have reached a plateau in sensor and camera design and future improvements are going to be slower coming and even less impressive. I am not pointing a finger specifically at Canon, but at this time they do seem to be the slowest in making improvements.

If one company really wanted to get ahead they would release a Medium Format DSLR a long with a lens line up for it.

Mr Ed M Contributing Member • Posts: 508
Re: Nevermind

Sovern wrote:

If one company really wanted to get ahead they would release a Medium Format DSLR a long with a lens line up for it.

Pentax 645D Medium Format 40 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body

 Mr Ed M's gear list:Mr Ed M's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +11 more
Sovern Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: Nevermind

Mr Ed M wrote:

Sovern wrote:

If one company really wanted to get ahead they would release a Medium Format DSLR a long with a lens line up for it.

Pentax 645D Medium Format 40 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body

Pentax is not well known though. I meant Canon vs Nikon which are the two big dogs in the DSLR marketplace.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Re: Nevermind

Sovern wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

It sounds like this thread is turning ugly. It does not help the strength of your argument to call people with different opinions names such as fools, or attritube their opinions to short attention spans and the need for constant entertainment.

The facts are that Canon is really slow in introducing new APS-C sensor technology. They have been using the same sensor since 2009. In the world of cameras and electronics, that is a really long time.

It does appear that Nikon has jumped ahead both with APS-C and FF sensors. I am not really impressed with Nikon either. I would like to believe that Canon is going to soon trump the offerings from Nikon or at least catch up with sensor performance. My conclusion is that manufacturers have reached a plateau in sensor and camera design and future improvements are going to be slower coming and even less impressive. I am not pointing a finger specifically at Canon, but at this time they do seem to be the slowest in making improvements.

If one company really wanted to get ahead they would release a Medium Format DSLR a long with a lens line up for it.

Canon have analysed the business case for that, many times.  It doesn't stack up.

Franklin J Ellias
Franklin J Ellias Regular Member • Posts: 204
Re: Nevermind
1

Sovern wrote:

"Pentax is not well known though. I meant Canon vs Nikon which are the two big dogs in the DSLR marketplace."

Excuse me, Pentax has and does make some fine equipment. Hasselblad, Mamiya and Pentax are established brands in medium format.

FWIW, Frank

 Franklin J Ellias's gear list:Franklin J Ellias's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Apple Aperture +5 more
Sovern Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: Nevermind

Franklin J Ellias wrote:

Sovern wrote:

"Pentax is not well known though. I meant Canon vs Nikon which are the two big dogs in the DSLR marketplace."

Excuse me, Pentax has and does make some fine equipment. Hasselblad, Mamiya and Pentax are established brands in medium format.

FWIW, Frank

Walk up to someone with a Rebel and ask them if they ever heard of Pentax.

Pentax is not well known and does not even come close to Canon or Nikon when it comes to cameras sold or popularity.

Franklin J Ellias
Franklin J Ellias Regular Member • Posts: 204
Re: Nevermind

It depends on the owner of a Rebel:-D

I owned several Leicas and other brands of film cameras before I purchased my Rebel DSLR. I used to give young people that were interested in learning photography Pentax "K"s as birthday gifts. They were one of the last fully manual SLR cameras on the market. Great learning tools and excellent lenses.

But, that's me!

 Franklin J Ellias's gear list:Franklin J Ellias's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Apple Aperture +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads