New Canon on 22nd March?

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions
SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,970
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

t.c. marino wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Ramesh wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/03/06/canon-announcement-on-march-22-eos-70d/

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

hello spartanwarrior,im a long time nikon user..canon will respond to nikon with a very competetive product..they always do,maybe they will announce the 70d to compete with nikon d7100..or they will announce the killer 7dmk2..that will finally force nikon to consider a true d300 replacement.canon will be fine..they continue to outsell nikon and gain more market share.as far as video..canon planning for the future and will completely dominate that segment unless sony REALLY steps it up..i'm more worried about nikon than canon.happy shooting

I'm sure they will but honest their sensors I think are really good, maybe not in DR but hey that's why we use our GND filters, and when I mean they cripple their cameras I mean feature wise.

 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
t.c. marino Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?
1

howardroark wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Ramesh wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/03/06/canon-announcement-on-march-22-eos-70d/

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

Canon is a huge organization capable of doing many things at once. Notice the Nikon A coming out? If you think Canon is wasting their time what is that? Canon produced something that nobody has matched yet and they don't get any credity. A near-APS-C sensor (yeah, nobody likes the aspect ratio except me and two other people I think) in a smallish body with a zoom lens (great quality) for a reasonable price. Sony used a 1" sensor and a truly point and shoot (features and size) body which is great for some and Nikon is sticking with their 1 system and the A.....doesn't impress me.

Canon is obviously working on their technology whether you like video or not. All the R&D will find its way into your precious Canon upgrade soon enough and it will benefit still capture as well as video. Nobody can ignore video any more, although I wish it wasn't such a high priority in a stills body. I haven't seen Nikon or Sony or Olympus or anyone else do something that I find all that stunning and innovative. What is Nikon doing?

fair enough.."what is nikon doing"..they did inspire canon to build the excellent 7d..wich is a"me too"camera 2 full years after d300..yes 7d exceeds d300/300s 2 years.. later.when canon was on top of the world with their ff cameras they had a great chance to burry nikon but failed to produced the high speed highly responsive ff camera that the canon camp wanted..nikon released the high speed ff d3/d3s..now that canon has the fantastic 1DX ff super camera..it is a great camera..but it's also a "me too" camera..a higher performing d3/d3s/d4 type camera..think about it.nikon d7100 is announced and will be available at the end of this month, and canon will announce their next "me too" camera soon enough to compete with d7100.the new eos m mirrorless camera ..is a "me too" camera inspired by the the sony nex system.canon builds some excellent cameras and they have greater market share than the rest...but they dont innovate like they use too..playing it safe?..ohh d600 was released before the 6d..both stellar cameras....canon has a great chance here to innovate by introducing the killer 7dmk2 with the runored high specs,if they do, it will force nikon to announce their "me too" competitor to 7dm2...have you seen the kickass cameras from fuji?name one camera from canon or nikon that competes with the fujiis?

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 61,076
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?
4

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Yes what you say is very true but common 6D with 9 focus points? from what I read it is a very good camera but they should of put more features in it.

Ah yes, but the 6D has a very special centre focus point. The way an AF unit works, they couldn't have given that sensitivity had they had lots of points and lots of cross points, because the field lenses would have become very small and thus very slow. So, it's not as though they have taken focus points away and given you nothing back. What they have done is tried to optimise the camera for an intended application. I think it's a brave move, because if you just count focus points the camera looks deficient against its competition, but if you are interested in low light AF, it is the best you can get.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,560
Re: +1 with Spartan. Probably yet another new battery to force you buy new grip

007peter wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

I share you sentiment. 7D was the last canon that offer a quantum leap over its previous camera (50d) in feature & capability and that was 3 years ago. Since the 7D, every canon is just a mild warm-over from previous generation. 60d was a downgrade on purpose to differentiat from 7d, but every rebel since then...:

- Canon T2i is a 18mp version of 15mp T1i with a Mic Input

- Canon T3i is just a T2i + articulate LCD

- Canon T4i is a T3i with Touch-sceen, and a hybrid AF that show minimal improvements

I suspect 70d is a just a 60d with a touch-screen + a new battery design to force you to buy another new battery grip. It'll probably have the same circular 9 points AF again.

Hopefully I'm wrong and well see some major improvement in 70d, but I'm not holding my breath for canon any longer.

I seriously doubt Canon is going to change the LP-E6 battery just yet.  Besides, the battery grip could be redesigned regardless.

t.c. marino Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Re: Wow, you're hard to please

Flying Fish wrote:

It's not exactly as if we currently have lousy cameras desperately in need of improvements. On the contrary, our cameras--including Nikon, Olympus, Sony, and yes, Canon--are pretty amazing. People complain about the "crippled" 6D but "crippled" compared to what? Are you saying that all cameras at all levels should have the specs of the top-of-the line model? What's wrong with the 60D that so desperately needs upgrading? Even the ancient 7D still is amazing. You should go to Thom Hogan's web site ( www.bythom.com ) and read his excellent articles titled "the Last Camera Syndrome."

That said, would I buy a "70D"? Probably not because I have a T2i and a 7D, but I'd check it out. Would I buy a 7D2? That seems quite likely. I dunno, I'm not finding myself limited by m

what you're saying is mostly true.6d ia great camera and it will produce images comparable to any high end camera on the market... AND it does compete with d600 at the same price point..it has built in wifi/gps that d600 does not have..wifi can be added via an inexpensive accessory,6d does have a more sensitive af center focus point that works extremely well,but d600 does have a more flexible af system with  more cross points that works very well despite what the canon diehards would have you beleive,d600 has built in flash that most use as a commander to wirelessly fire off camera speedlights,with 6d you need to buy the fairly expensive(200 dollars)wirelss trigger,6d has one card slot vs 2 for d600,very important for me..and d600..and all nikon cameras since the mid 90's has one feauture that is missing on all canon cameras with the exception of the flagship eos1 models..the ability to link the spot meter to all af points..makes it so much easier to meter off center subjects under a bright light with dark background(stage/theater lighting comes to mind) is 6d crippled vs d600? no...but canon did leave out some key feautures..not bashing canon at all..im wating for the announcement of the killer 7dmk2 and will add it in a hot minute to my nikon gear if nikon dont announce their "me too"7dmk2..the d400..d7100 not in same class as the excellent 7d
nikonshooter

t.c. marino Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

SpartanWarrior wrote:

t.c. marino wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Ramesh wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/03/06/canon-announcement-on-march-22-eos-70d/

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

hello spartanwarrior,im a long time nikon user..canon will respond to nikon with a very competetive product..they always do,maybe they will announce the 70d to compete with nikon d7100..or they will announce the killer 7dmk2..that will finally force nikon to consider a true d300 replacement.canon will be fine..they continue to outsell nikon and gain more market share.as far as video..canon planning for the future and will completely dominate that segment unless sony REALLY steps it up..i'm more worried about nikon than canon.happy shooting

I'm sure they will but honest their sensors I think are really good, maybe not in DR but hey that's why we use our GND filters, and when I mean they cripple their cameras I mean feature wise.

i hear ya, im a nikon shooter since 1978,most of my colleagues are canon shooters and we do a lot of paid shoots,most of the canon guys that i shoot with are still using their 5d2's/mark2/2n and they produce stellar images with them..and they have no intention of upgrading their gear until they stop working..and the 1dmk2/n guys REALLY like those cameras,those guys couldn't care less about DXO sensor scores or 102,000 iso performance..we're all more interested about "getting the shot"..we see a lot of "average joes"with nikon d4's and IDX's blasting away at 10/12fps shooting... static subjects..cant stop laughing..

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

PhilPreston3072 Senior Member • Posts: 2,586
EC with M-Auto ISO

jrkliny wrote:

Go, Canon, go. Let's see a 24mp sensor with even better low ISO performance. Let's see improved AF and maybe even better build quality and weather sealing than the 60D. Let's see a body price well under $1500. I am ready, money in hand.

Let's not see you pass off another camera built around the old 18mp sensor. If so I will just save myself a lot of money and stick with the T3i.

Would also love to see EC added to M-Auto ISO mode.

 PhilPreston3072's gear list:PhilPreston3072's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
GuardianFlash Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
Re: Wow, you're hard to please

Well looks like D7000 had that oil problem, D600 have that dust problem, D800 had a AF issue, and D4 with its white balance thing.

 GuardianFlash's gear list:GuardianFlash's gear list
Canon EOS R
lol101 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,855
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Ramesh wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/03/06/canon-announcement-on-march-22-eos-70d/

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

you have a 5D3 and a 7D, do you think of these as being sub-par or crippled?

 lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +5 more
SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,970
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?
1

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Yes what you say is very true but common 6D with 9 focus points? from what I read it is a very good camera but they should of put more features in it.

Ah yes, but the 6D has a very special centre focus point. The way an AF unit works, they couldn't have given that sensitivity had they had lots of points and lots of cross points, because the field lenses would have become very small and thus very slow. So, it's not as though they have taken focus points away and given you nothing back. What they have done is tried to optimise the camera for an intended application. I think it's a brave move, because if you just count focus points the camera looks deficient against its competition, but if you are interested in low light AF, it is the best you can get.

Didn't know that thanks Bob..

 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
AShimon Contributing Member • Posts: 797
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?
1

I would rather buy a highly advanced 7DII for $2200 than an incremental upgrade for $1600.

Just sayin'.

t.c. marino Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Re: Wow, you're hard to please

GuardianFlash wrote:

Well looks like D7000 had that oil problem, D600 have that dust problem, D800 had a AF issue, and D4 with its white balance thing.

canon had some issues too,1d3 af fiasco and mirror falling off the 5d..now its nikon's turn..not bashing canon at all.. in fact i'm impatiently waiting the announcement of the 7d mk2..if it comes in with the rumored specs i will add it to my nikon gear..if nikon dont offer a true d300 replacement..d7100 not same class as 7d/d300.happy shooting

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,970
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Ramesh wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/03/06/canon-announcement-on-march-22-eos-70d/

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

you have a 5D3 and a 7D, do you think of these as being sub-par or crippled?

No they are not crippled.

 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,309
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Ramesh wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/03/06/canon-announcement-on-march-22-eos-70d/

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

Is Canon actually holding you back in some way from making great photos such as you'd like? Read the Nikon forum - there are apparently some significant QC control issues that Canon doesn't seem to have.

The grass isn't always greener.

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 61,076
Re: Wow, you're hard to please
2

t.c. marino wrote:

GuardianFlash wrote:

Well looks like D7000 had that oil problem, D600 have that dust problem, D800 had a AF issue, and D4 with its white balance thing.

canon had some issues too,1d3 af fiasco and mirror falling off the 5d..now its nikon's turn..not bashing canon at all..

7D had real and documented AF problems when released, just look at the forums here at the time. Didn't stop it from being a successful camera.

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 61,076
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

AShimon wrote:

I would rather buy a highly advanced 7DII for $2200 than an incremental upgrade for $1600.

Just sayin'.

How about a highly advanced one with early life problems versus an incremental that works from the get-go.

-- hide signature --

Bob

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: +1 with Spartan. Probably yet another new battery to force you buy new grip
2

007peter wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

I share you sentiment. 7D was the last canon that offer a quantum leap over its previous camera (50d) in feature & capability and that was 3 years ago. Since the 7D, every canon is just a mild warm-over from previous generation. 60d was a downgrade on purpose to differentiat from 7d, but every rebel since then...:

- Canon T2i is a 18mp version of 15mp T1i with a Mic Input

- Canon T3i is just a T2i + articulate LCD

- Canon T4i is a T3i with Touch-sceen, and a hybrid AF that show minimal improvements

I suspect 70d is a just a 60d with a touch-screen + a new battery design to force you to buy another new battery grip. It'll probably have the same circular 9 points AF again.

I bet you're wrong this time. 70D may still use 60D sensor (probably the last model still uses the current Canon 18mp APS-C sensor), but its AF will be at least on modified 7D AF engine. No way Canon will still put 60D AF in 70D after D7100. It also probably still uses LP-E6 battery. 70D will be at least 6 or maybe 7fps.

Hopefully I'm wrong and well see some major improvement in 70d, but I'm not holding my breath for canon any longer.

-- hide signature --
JTuuti Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

paulbysea wrote:

 It was the whole system, the ergonomic choices that Canon made and continues to make. The range of lenses available.

I am a little concerned as to the some of the ergonomics choices that Canon has been up to recently.   While the world was complaining about the 'plastic' of 60D, I'd much rather put unified pressure on Canon to get the joystick back!   (Also the position-adjustable unlock button, but I seen that has been fixed in the new 6D)

Since I upgraded to 60D, I have been 99.99% using the center-focus+recompose (or crop for critical focus) since the 8-way controller is totally wrong to set the focus point.  Just this one for me huge problem is the reason I won't even be looking at the likes of 6D.

Other than the points above, I do like the Canon ergonomics.  I am concerned, however, that they seem to be straying away from their obviously excellently researched and executed ergonomics as they update their product line.

SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,970
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Ramesh wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/03/06/canon-announcement-on-march-22-eos-70d/

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

Is Canon actually holding you back in some way from making great photos such as you'd like? Read the Nikon forum - there are apparently some significant QC control issues that Canon doesn't seem to have.

The grass isn't always greener.

Heck no but I am talking features, here's just one of those that I paid 3.200.00 euro for my 5D III, why the heck does canon give you a stupid rubber piece to close the viewfinder? when they could have it built in. There are many more but when you pay lots of money for a camera they better not skimp on features.

 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
D Parsons Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

jrkliny wrote:

Go, Canon, go. Let's see a 24mp sensor with even better low ISO performance. Let's see improved AF and maybe even better build quality and weather sealing than the 60D. Let's see a body price well under $1500. I am ready, money in hand.

Let's not see you pass off another camera built around the old 18mp sensor. If so I will just save myself a lot of money and stick with the T3i.

That's me, exactly. If not, I'll probably go with T4i until something better comes along tho I may cash in and go mirrorless.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads