New Canon on 22nd March?

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions
Ramesh Regular Member • Posts: 221
New Canon on 22nd March?
 Ramesh's gear list:Ramesh's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,969
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?

Ramesh wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/03/06/canon-announcement-on-march-22-eos-70d/

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,591
Agree NT

NT

Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
elfroggio
MOD elfroggio Senior Member • Posts: 2,954

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Although I am a Canon user for many years, but I really hate to say it we will not see anything good from them, looks like Nikon took the ball and ran with it and Canon is to busy worring about video, I am starting to think that I married the wrong system but we'll see...

I'm no Nikon expert but... The famous but, I just looked at the Nikon DX forum, the equivalent of ours. Just on the first page:

* fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked
* Nikon D7000 Oil Spots Personal Experience
* More D7000 back focus. I thought this issue was dead!?
* D5100 "AF-ON" Problem
* Corrupted NEF files
* Canon develped a new sesnsitive CMOS sensor
* Nikon D7000 - Do I have a auto Focus Problem? (Images attached)
* D7100 banding

Nothing's perfect and the grass is always greener...

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,199
+1 with Spartan. Probably yet another new battery to force you buy new grip

SpartanWarrior wrote:

I share you sentiment. 7D was the last canon that offer a quantum leap over its previous camera (50d) in feature & capability and that was 3 years ago.  Since the 7D, every canon is just a mild warm-over from previous generation.  60d was a downgrade on purpose to differentiat from 7d, but every rebel since then...:

- Canon T2i is a 18mp version of 15mp T1i with a Mic Input

- Canon T3i is just a T2i + articulate LCD

- Canon T4i is a T3i with Touch-sceen, and a hybrid AF that show minimal improvements

I suspect 70d is a just a 60d with a touch-screen + a new battery design to force you to buy another new battery grip.  It'll probably have the same circular 9 points AF again.

Hopefully I'm wrong and well see some major improvement in 70d, but I'm not holding my breath for canon any longer.

paulbysea Contributing Member • Posts: 529

elfroggio wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

I'm no Nikon expert but... The famous but, I just looked at the Nikon DX forum, the equivalent of ours. Just on the first page:

* D5100 "AF-ON" Problem
* Corrupted NEF files
* D7100 banding

Personally I didn't buy into the Canon system on the basis of specifications alone.  It was the whole system, the ergonomic choices that Canon made and continues to make. The range of lenses available.

Every camera is a compromise and you choose the one that fits your budget and meets as much of your wish list of features as you can afford.  I am not going to jump from Canon just because Nikon or Sony come out with one camera model, I bought into the system.

Nikon are investing in video as well, it is a fact of like that modern dSLRs are great video cameras and manufacturers are going to include and promote these features in new models.  Why, because they are  mostly relative cheap to implement.  It is a software issue, not a hardware issue once you have included a microphone and analogue to digital sound chip in the camera body.  Easy to offer more features via firmware updates.   Personally I don't use video much, however it is nice to have it in my dSLR rather than needing to carry a video camera as well.

paulbysea's gear list:paulbysea's gear list
Pentax Optio W80 Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +6 more
EJ Fudd Senior Member • Posts: 1,455
I agree too..(nt)
-- hide signature --

Photography, It ain't the same old Art form it used to be..

EJ Fudd's gear list:EJ Fudd's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +18 more
SpartanWarrior

elfroggio wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

* D5100 "AF-ON" Problem
* Corrupted NEF files
* D7100 banding

Yes I know that, I am not planning on switching systems as I've got to much canon gear and I truley love my 5D III and L lenses, but I wish Canon would stop crippling their cameras like on the 6D.

Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,853

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Ramesh wrote:

Canon is a huge organization capable of doing many things at once.  Notice the Nikon A coming out?  If you think Canon is wasting their time what is that?  Canon produced something that nobody has matched yet and they don't get any credity.  A near-APS-C sensor (yeah, nobody likes the aspect ratio except me and two other people I think) in a smallish body with a zoom lens (great quality) for a reasonable price.  Sony used a 1" sensor and a truly point and shoot (features and size) body which is great for some and Nikon is sticking with their 1 system and the A.....doesn't impress me.

Canon is obviously working on their technology whether you like video or not.  All the R&D will find its way into your precious Canon upgrade soon enough and it will benefit still capture as well as video.  Nobody can ignore video any more, although I wish it wasn't such a high priority in a stills body.  I haven't seen Nikon or Sony or Olympus or anyone else do something that I find all that stunning and innovative.  What is Nikon doing?

Flying Fish Veteran Member • Posts: 4,476
Wow, you're hard to please

It's not exactly as if we currently have lousy cameras desperately in need of improvements.  On the contrary, our cameras--including Nikon, Olympus, Sony, and yes, Canon--are pretty amazing.  People complain about the "crippled" 6D but "crippled" compared to what?  Are you saying that all cameras at all levels should have the specs of the top-of-the line model?  What's wrong with the 60D that so desperately needs upgrading?  Even the ancient 7D still is amazing.  You should go to Thom Hogan's web site ( www.bythom.com ) and read his excellent articles titled "the Last Camera Syndrome."

That said, would I buy a "70D"?  Probably not because I have a T2i and a 7D, but I'd check it out.  Would I buy a 7D2?  That seems quite likely.  I dunno, I'm not finding myself limited by my cameras.

FF

Flying Fish's gear list:Flying Fish's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +2 more
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 3,781

Go, Canon, go.  Let's see a 24mp sensor with even better low ISO performance.  Let's see improved AF and maybe even better build quality and weather sealing than the 60D.  Let's see a body price well under $1500.  I am ready, money in hand.

Let's not see you pass off another camera built around the old 18mp sensor.  If so I will just save myself a lot of money and stick with the T3i.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521

SpartanWarrior wrote:

elfroggio wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

* D5100 "AF-ON" Problem
* Corrupted NEF files
* D7100 banding

Yes I know that, I am not planning on switching systems as I've got to much canon gear and I truley love my 5D III and L lenses, but I wish Canon would stop crippling their cameras like on the 6D.

if you have the 5D Mark III why do you care what a prosumer fulll frame camera has?  of course it's going to be crippled - just like the D600 is crippled in some respects to the D800.  every manufacturer does that .. or basically you create one camera and call it a day.

the entire idea of not crippling - is foolishness.

skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 20,676
Re: Wow, you're hard to please

Flying Fish wrote:

It's not exactly as if we currently have lousy cameras desperately in need of improvements. On the contrary, our cameras--including Nikon, Olympus, Sony, and yes, Canon--are pretty amazing. People complain about the "crippled" 6D but "crippled" compared to what? Are you saying that all cameras at all levels should have the specs of the top-of-the line model? What's wrong with the 60D that so desperately needs upgrading? Even the ancient 7D still is amazing. You should go to Thom Hogan's web site ( www.bythom.com ) and read his excellent articles titled "the Last Camera Syndrome."

That said, would I buy a "70D"? Probably not because I have a T2i and a 7D, but I'd check it out. Would I buy a 7D2? That seems quite likely. I dunno, I'm not finding myself limited by my cameras.

FF

Its been discussed before - this forum often is more for tech/gear heads than photographers. The cameras we have are more than we need for good photography. But we are lulled into having the latest and greatest tech because - it's there! Canon needs us to keep buying new cameras, "upgrading", etc. That's capitalism.

Having said that - while I think the 60D is all the camera I need, I am not immune to gear lust. At this point the 60D is the best camera Canon makes that has an articulating screen (which I find essential for the type of work I do.) I love it's image quality, size, weight, screen and feature set, especially with Magic Lantern. So, I don't lust for any better camera, it doesn't exist.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 3,781

skanter wrote:

The cameras we have are more than we need for good photography. But we are lulled into having the latest and greatest tech because - it's there! Canon needs us to keep buying new cameras, "upgrading", etc. That's capitalism.

Personally, I am not looking for the latest and greatest.  I have no interest in WIFI, GPS, or any other bells and whistles.  My current camera does limit me.  I want to be able to print large and more megapixels would be really useful.  Less noise would also help improve my photography.  The focus on my T3i leaves a lot to be desired.  It hunts for closeup and macro shooting and really has difficulty tracking birds in flight and other rapidly moving objects.   The built quality leaves a lot to be desired.  It is tough to shoot in rainy conditions. I also had lots of issues in Death Valley.  No matter how much care I used, dust worked its way into the camera body and the sensor needed wet cleaning every week or so.  I shoot lots so I could also use a more durable camera.  My Xsi burnt the shutter after about 50k actuations.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
t.c. marino Contributing Member • Posts: 672

SpartanWarrior wrote:

Ramesh wrote:

hello spartanwarrior,im a long time nikon user..canon will respond to nikon with a very competetive product..they always do,maybe they will announce the 70d to compete with nikon d7100..or they will announce the killer 7dmk2..that will finally force nikon to consider a true d300 replacement.canon will be fine..they continue to outsell nikon and gain more market share.as far as video..canon planning for the future and will completely dominate that segment unless sony REALLY steps it up..i'm more worried about nikon than canon.happy shooting

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 60,931

elfroggio wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

* D5100 "AF-ON" Problem
* Corrupted NEF files
* D7100 banding

These things go together. Criticise Canon's iterative update policy if you like, but it is safe. since each camera is an update, rather than a complete revision, there is less chance of early life bugs. Th  D7000 and D600 were new cameras from the ground up, virtually every mechanical component new, and in particular new shutters. Added to the destruction and recommissioning of Nikon's two major plans, it's not surprising that they are producing buggy cameras, if not so satisfying for Nikon users. I think a Canon will rarely let you down, even if it might not excite you much.

-- hide signature --

Bob

William Woodruff Contributing Member • Posts: 557

+1 Exactly.

When folks complain that a camera is "crippled," (which, by the way, is a very poor choice of adjectives for cameras like the t4i or the 6D, which are quite capable of capturing spectacular images), it would be good to consider the options that Canon, Nikon, et al. are actually providing to those of us in the photography market.  On the one hand, they produce a high-end camera with a fairly complete feature set.  By reducing the feature set (i.e., "crippling the camera") available on a camera like the 6D, Canon has, by no means, limited your choices; rather they have expanded your choices. You can pay a bit more and get a 5D3, or you can pay a bit less and get the same image quality with a few less bells and whistles in the 6D.  Choices are good.

Ah, but the complainers will jump all over this as a nefarious marketing scheme, saying that (in many cases) the features that were left out were really just differences in firmware, and thus the company could have provided them at no extra cost.  Actually, that's not true either.  OK if the company only built one camera for one customer, that would be true.  Given that we are talking about products built on a large scale for a large market, the economic realities are much different.  In a large stratified market such as the photo equipment market, the consumer base is stratified into consumers with the ability and/or need to pay top dollar for the most complete products that are technically possible; there are also many more potential customers who cannot afford to pay $3500 for a camera body, but might enter the market and settle for a more modest feature set for a somewhat lower price.

If the manufacturer only provides cameras for the 5D3 market (or the 1DX market), they will lose the volume advantage of those who would buy in at the lower price point.  Similarly, if all they produce are cameras at the 6D price, they lose the profitablity of the higher price point cameras.

So you say, so what?  Just "uncripple" the 6D and make it act like a 5D3 for $2000, right?  The problem is that with R&D, and marketing costs spread over the whole line, they couldn't sell you a 6D for $2k if that was the only price point available.  The economic fact is that when a company like Canon has a high-end like the 1DX, a mid-range like the 5D3, and an economic version like the 6D, the company is actually able to sell all three ranges of cameras at considerably lower price points than they could do if they only covered 1 or 2 segments of the market.  So, the bottom line is that the so-called "crippling" is actually not such a bad thing if it expands your range of choices, and lowers costs across the entire market.

OK, end of rant.

-- hide signature --

WLW

William Woodruff's gear list:William Woodruff's gear list
Canon EOS M
SpartanWarrior

rrccad wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

elfroggio wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

* D5100 "AF-ON" Problem
* Corrupted NEF files
* D7100 banding

if you have the 5D Mark III why do you care what a prosumer fulll frame camera has? of course it's going to be crippled - just like the D600 is crippled in some respects to the D800. every manufacturer does that .. or basically you create one camera and call it a day.

the entire idea of not crippling - is foolishness.

Well I actually want a crop camera for like wildlife/BIF for the extra reach, thats the only reason;)

SpartanWarrior

William Woodruff wrote:

+1 Exactly.

When folks complain that a camera is "crippled," (which, by the way, is a very poor choice of adjectives for cameras like the t4i or the 6D, which are quite capable of capturing spectacular images), it would be good to consider the options that Canon, Nikon, et al. are actually providing to those of us in the photography market. On the one hand, they produce a high-end camera with a fairly complete feature set. By reducing the feature set (i.e., "crippling the camera") available on a camera like the 6D, Canon has, by no means, limited your choices; rather they have expanded your choices. You can pay a bit more and get a 5D3, or you can pay a bit less and get the same image quality with a few less bells and whistles in the 6D. Choices are good.

Ah, but the complainers will jump all over this as a nefarious marketing scheme, saying that (in many cases) the features that were left out were really just differences in firmware, and thus the company could have provided them at no extra cost. Actually, that's not true either. OK if the company only built one camera for one customer, that would be true. Given that we are talking about products built on a large scale for a large market, the economic realities are much different. In a large stratified market such as the photo equipment market, the consumer base is stratified into consumers with the ability and/or need to pay top dollar for the most complete products that are technically possible; there are also many more potential customers who cannot afford to pay $3500 for a camera body, but might enter the market and settle for a more modest feature set for a somewhat lower price.

If the manufacturer only provides cameras for the 5D3 market (or the 1DX market), they will lose the volume advantage of those who would buy in at the lower price point. Similarly, if all they produce are cameras at the 6D price, they lose the profitablity of the higher price point cameras.

So you say, so what? Just "uncripple" the 6D and make it act like a 5D3 for $2000, right? The problem is that with R&D, and marketing costs spread over the whole line, they couldn't sell you a 6D for $2k if that was the only price point available. The economic fact is that when a company like Canon has a high-end like the 1DX, a mid-range like the 5D3, and an economic version like the 6D, the company is actually able to sell all three ranges of cameras at considerably lower price points than they could do if they only covered 1 or 2 segments of the market. So, the bottom line is that the so-called "crippling" is actually not such a bad thing if it expands your range of choices, and lowers costs across the entire market.

OK, end of rant.

Yes what you say is very true but common 6D with 9 focus points? from what I read it is a very good camera but they should of put more features in it.

SpartanWarrior

Flying Fish wrote:

It's not exactly as if we currently have lousy cameras desperately in need of improvements. On the contrary, our cameras--including Nikon, Olympus, Sony, and yes, Canon--are pretty amazing. People complain about the "crippled" 6D but "crippled" compared to what? Are you saying that all cameras at all levels should have the specs of the top-of-the line model? What's wrong with the 60D that so desperately needs upgrading? Even the ancient 7D still is amazing. You should go to Thom Hogan's web site ( www.bythom.com ) and read his excellent articles titled "the Last Camera Syndrome."

That said, would I buy a "70D"? Probably not because I have a T2i and a 7D, but I'd check it out. Would I buy a 7D2? That seems quite likely. I dunno, I'm not finding myself limited by my cameras.

FF

Don't take it the wrong way, I have a 7D and really like it and I bought the 5D III that is GREAT but what I am saying is don't you think canon should of put features in the 6D like nikon did with the D600? also the new canon flash system is really great.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads