Head-to-Head: X100s vs X100 vs Canon 5D MK III

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions
mibu2011 Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Re: Why?

flektogon wrote:

mibu2011 wrote:

Do most think that the 1st picture is the X100s and the X100 is the 3rd picture when to my eye the 1st picture has far less dynamic range in the photo.

Just curious as you would expect the result from the X100s to be better than the X100 (subjective perhaps) yet to my eye the 3rd photo is the better image.

What does 3 have that 1 doesn't where the consensus is 1 is the X100s and 3 is the X100?

Exactly! The X100s (#1) picture is underexposed, which in this case limits the dynamic range. The X100 (#2) picture seems to be most pleasant.

Exactly what?  Why do most expect that it's the X100s that will underexpose?

Photozopia
Photozopia Senior Member • Posts: 1,302
Re: Head-to-Head: X100s vs X100 vs Canon 5D MK III

Austin101 wrote:

nixda wrote:

That can't be, people. We all know the X-Trans is supposed to rival FF. There is a huge difference here, so #2 has to be the x100s, or we've been had.

it's only people who don't shoot with FF that think that

I think nixda (the cheeky little imp) was being sarcastic ... I hope!

flektogon
flektogon Senior Member • Posts: 2,642

mibu2011 wrote:

flektogon wrote:

mibu2011 wrote:

Do most think that the 1st picture is the X100s and the X100 is the 3rd picture when to my eye the 1st picture has far less dynamic range in the photo.

Just curious as you would expect the result from the X100s to be better than the X100 (subjective perhaps) yet to my eye the 3rd photo is the better image.

What does 3 have that 1 doesn't where the consensus is 1 is the X100s and 3 is the X100?

Exactly! The X100s (#1) picture is underexposed, which in this case limits the dynamic range. The X100 (#2) picture seems to be most pleasant.

Exactly what? Why do most expect that it's the X100s that will underexpose?

Exactly that "the 1st picture has far less dynamic range in the photo.".

nixda Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515

Photozopia wrote:

Austin101 wrote:

nixda wrote:

That can't be, people. We all know the X-Trans is supposed to rival FF. There is a huge difference here, so #2 has to be the x100s, or we've been had.

Very much so, indeed

(This 'Grin' icon doesn't really depict the demonic grinning that I see on other forums. I think DPR should rework its emoticons and should include some that are particularly designed for conveying 'sarcasm', 'cynicism', 'derisiveness'...)

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
mibu2011 Contributing Member • Posts: 553

flektogon wrote:

mibu2011 wrote:

flektogon wrote:

mibu2011 wrote:

Exactly what? Why do most expect that it's the X100s that will underexpose?

Exactly that "the 1st picture has far less dynamic range in the photo.".

Ok, I think we may be at cross purposes.  We agree that the 1st picture has less dynamic range, what I was really asking is why do most who have answered mark this one as the X100s.

Why do most expect the X100s to have less of a dynamic range than the X100.

de_klaas Senior Member • Posts: 1,361

mibu2011 wrote:

Ok, I think we may be at cross purposes. We agree that the 1st picture has less dynamic range, what I was really asking is why do most who have answered mark this one as the X100s.

Why do most expect the X100s to have less of a dynamic range than the X100.

I think this has more to do with detail than DR. The 2nd picture has most detail (5dIII) the last picture the least (X100). X100s is most probably somewhere in between hence the choice for #1.

-- hide signature --
 de_klaas's gear list:de_klaas's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
hexar Contributing Member • Posts: 858

if picture 2 is the X100 S than I will order one immediately !!!!!!!!!  By far the best IQ as is in this comparison

mngsmt Regular Member • Posts: 303
OT: speakers

are those the fabulous Dynaudio BM6A's?

sarbos Contributing Member • Posts: 901

JamiePen wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

Time to play-- stump the photographer (you)! Check out the comparison and leave your best guess!

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/x100s-vs-x100-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/

#1 x100s

#2 5d

#3 x100

good game!

I do agree

sarbos's gear list:sarbos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,288

Asylum Photo wrote:

JamiePen wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

Time to play-- stump the photographer (you)! Check out the comparison and leave your best guess!

#1 x100s

#2 5d

#3 x100

good game!

I agree with this.

-- hide signature --

Another vote here. Assuming he did take all the photos with the same exact settings, 5D will be brightest because it does not hype the ISO as much as Xtrans. This also means X100s will be the darkest.

Btw, the image plane is not parallel with the sensor so #3 is deceptively out of focus.

Photozopia

nixda wrote:

Photozopia wrote:

Austin101 wrote:

nixda wrote:

Very much so, indeed

(This 'Grin' icon doesn't really depict the demonic grinning that I see on other forums. I think DPR should rework its emoticons and should include some that are particularly designed for conveying 'sarcasm', 'cynicism', 'derisiveness'...)

A few horned grimaces would liven up the smiley range no end!

OP BrianKraft Regular Member • Posts: 224

hellocrowley wrote:

Btw, the image plane is not parallel with the sensor so #3 is deceptively out of focus.

I don't agree with this. The focus point is pretty much within the slice of #3. Plus, at 4ft away at f2.8, I don't think the focus would vary all that much within this small slice, that includes all 3. There may be other sensor related factors involved (like resolution)... I'm saying there maaaaay be. 

Re: OT: speakers

mngsmt wrote:

are those the fabulous Dynaudio BM6A's?

No, but they are the fabulous Yorkville YSM1P's!

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,485
too funny

Amazing how many people are interested in playing a useless game.

The full size images are 900X600. Smaller than the 1st digital camera ever made. You're viewing them on the web. Color balance depends on the camera settings and monitor calibration. We're not even talking about features or high ISO or lens selection or controls or boot up time or focusing. Oh yeah. The crops are from different sections of the photo. How can you compare? No real shadows or highlights. A mix of indoor and outdoor lighting. Probably the worst comparison image ever.

Why not toss in a few cell phone photos for comparison w/o telling anyone? That would have made it more fun, would be interesting to see how many picked the cell phone?

But people here are immediately seeing this as a valuable information. What I say is that an X100 user is thinking of this as serious comparison, maybe they're spending way too much on their camera.

You should also tell us what percentage correctly picked the Canon, whether they got the Fujis right or not. If a substantial portion of knowledgeable photographers can't tell the difference in output between a piece of elegant $1,300 jewellery and a massive industrial tool worth $5,000 -- then that is valuable information indeed.

Well done, Brian.

Re: too funny

tko wrote:

The full size images are 900X600. Smaller than the 1st digital camera ever made. You're viewing them on the web. Color balance depends on the camera settings and monitor calibration. We're not even talking about features or high ISO or lens selection or controls or boot up time or focusing. Oh yeah. The crops are from different sections of the photo. How can you compare? No real shadows or highlights. A mix of indoor and outdoor lighting. Probably the worst comparison image ever.

Why not toss in a few cell phone photos for comparison w/o telling anyone? That would have made it more fun, would be interesting to see how many picked the cell phone?

But people here are immediately seeing this as a valuable information. What I say is that an X100 user is thinking of this as serious comparison, maybe they're spending way too much on their camera.

You should also tell us what percentage correctly picked the Canon, whether they got the Fujis right or not. If a substantial portion of knowledgeable photographers can't tell the difference in output between a piece of elegant $1,300 jewellery and a massive industrial tool worth $5,000 -- then that is valuable information indeed.

Well done, Brian.

These are valid points. It's a fun game nonetheless but some people are taking it too seriously. I'm sure if you throw an RX100 or Nokia 802 in this comparison people wouldn't know it.

BrianKraft wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

I don't agree with this. The focus point is pretty much within the slice of #3. Plus, at 4ft away at f2.8, I don't think the focus would vary all that much within this small slice, that includes all 3.

Precisely because it's only 4ft away at f2.8, focus is very critical. Can you upload the same slice from the other cameras?

Photozopia
Re: too funny

tko wrote:

I'm sorry someone p*ssed in your coffee today, but stop taking it out on others ....

If people want to play 'silly' games - then let them, you don't have to join in! Why are you here anyway?

hellocrowley wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

I don't agree with this. The focus point is pretty much within the slice of #3. Plus, at 4ft away at f2.8, I don't think the focus would vary all that much within this small slice, that includes all 3.

Precisely because it's only 4ft away at f2.8, focus is very critical. Can you upload the same slice from the other cameras?

4 ft, not 4 inches. I know you know that, but the difference between the top of #1 and the bottom of #3 is in these slices is very, very, very small in terms of front to back distance. I don't think it contributed.

RESULTS!!!

Thanks for having fun! I've got the results published and they are very interesting!

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228
Re: RESULTS!!!

I'm gonna have to guess...
1) X100s

2) Canon

3)  X100

I am a genius and a cheater.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads