7D Flash -- tough time poping up.

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions
wcrosman Contributing Member • Posts: 833
7D Flash -- tough time poping up.

I've had the camera since about 6 months after the 7D was first available. I hardly ever use the on board flash and wouldn't have noticed this except I accidentally pressed the button to raise it.

I can hear the mechanism attempting to release the catch to allow the spring to raise it. It errors out. If I try a few times while attempting to move it back and forth I can eventually get it to come up. It appears as if the hinge is binding. If it was an old clock I'd say the lube had gummed up. Thing is I think the hinge is just a couple of plastic pins set into a plastic hole. The plastic may have warped.

I'm thinking of putting a drop of silicone lube on a toothpick and attempting to lube it.

Anyone had this issue? How did you resolve it? Is my idea fool hearty?

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rebecca93
Rebecca93 Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: 7D Flash -- tough time poping up.

Uhh this actually did happen to mine but its kinda embarrassing. I was having some fun on the boat enjoying myself. I grabbed a beer and opened it over my camera. Foam dribbled all over the top (oops). My flash no longer popped up and I got an error message as well. It took a couple months for that to clear up...

Rebecca93's gear list:Rebecca93's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 22,803
Get a straight pin and a magnifying glass

Or a needle.

THE FOLLOWING MAY WORK:

Look very closely under the edges of the hot shoe, for a tiny metal circle.

This is the top of a pin that is depressed when a flash is placed in the hot shoe, and which IS SUPPOSED TO POP UP when there's nothing in the hot shoe.

Chances are really good this pin is in the depressed position. (pun to follow: making you depressed too,)

Poke at the top of the depressed pin using the needle, and chances are the pin will rise.

And then the flash will pop up better.

BAK

OP wcrosman Contributing Member • Posts: 833
Re: Get a straight pin and a magnifying glass

I will but I don't think that is the issue.

TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

wcrosman wrote:

I've had the camera since about 6 months after the 7D was first available. I hardly ever use the on board flash and wouldn't have noticed this except I accidentally pressed the button to raise it.

I can hear the mechanism attempting to release the catch to allow the spring to raise it. It errors out. If I try a few times while attempting to move it back and forth I can eventually get it to come up. It appears as if the hinge is binding. If it was an old clock I'd say the lube had gummed up. Thing is I think the hinge is just a couple of plastic pins set into a plastic hole. The plastic may have warped.

I'm thinking of putting a drop of silicone lube on a toothpick and attempting to lube it.

Anyone had this issue? How did you resolve it? Is my idea fool hearty?

Just be sure you clean as much as you can before lubing it. Use Q-tips and clothes (microfiber preferred) to get as much dust and dirt clear of the entire flash area.

I don't think that a single drop of silicone lube on each hinge point would be an issue.

But, evaluate how much dirt and dust you were able to remove and see if that alone resolves the issue, before resorting to any lubricant.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

This is not the issue with the plunger in the hot shoe being stuck. When it is, the camera doesn't even try to pop the flash, and no error message is shown. It just refuses.

This problem ends with Error 05, and it's indeed the mechanism that pops the flash that's stuck. You get the same result if you press the button on a working camera, where you hold your finger on top of the flash, to prevent it from rising.

-- hide signature --

Anders

apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +17 more
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

apersson850 wrote:

This is not the issue with the plunger in the hot shoe being stuck. When it is, the camera doesn't even try to pop the flash, and no error message is shown. It just refuses.

This problem ends with Error 05, and it's indeed the mechanism that pops the flash that's stuck. You get the same result if you press the button on a working camera, where you hold your finger on top of the flash, to prevent it from rising.

-- hide signature --

Anders

Agreed!

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
OP wcrosman Contributing Member • Posts: 833
Re: Solved -- 7D Flash -- tough time poping up.

It was immaculately clean inside the popup chamber. I put a single drop of lub on the end of each of the metal portion of the spring/hinge mechanism where there is a tiny screw acting as a pivot.

Problem solved.

Copy Mentor Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: Solved -- 7D Flash -- tough time poping up.

Thank you to OP and all who posted on this thread. I was finally able to get my 30D flash up for the first time in several YEARS! I carry the camera with me -- unbagged -- all the time, so I had assumed something was corroded. Since I don't care for on-camera flash, I just ignored it, but there have been many times when I could have used the little pop-up for happy snaps or fill-in.

My flash chamber is filthy, and the little hinge is very sticky. Tomorrow I'll get some WD-40, toothpicks and cotton buds and do a proper C&L.

Thanks again. Now I can get a 7D and put the 30D on eBay with a clear conscience!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads