ICELANDIC roadtrip: 30 DAYS in 60 IMAGES

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions
Michael_Paris
Michael_Paris Forum Member • Posts: 67
ICELANDIC roadtrip: 30 DAYS in 60 IMAGES

Hi folks,

While I'm packing my gear for a new trip in Iceland (on monday), I thought that some of you might be interested in reading my 2012 roadtrip in the country.

After having presented you a "full" 2009 Roadtrip with about 2000 photos, I decided this time to limit myself to... only 60!

That's why I call this story : ICELAND: 30 DAYS in 60 IMAGES

It took a long time for editing as you can imagine...

But let me present you the background :

1 | I was a Canon guy since ever, but the D800 was just out at this time (june 2012) and I couldn't resist testing it.

These photos are made with both 5D markII and D800. I felt unconfortable with the D800 so didn't use it that much, and sold it just after the trip.

2 | I took my wife... and 20 months kid with me! This is not the easiest way to concentrate on landscape photography, but I'm proud to having make it possible, it's great to have some photos of my little boy off the beaten tracks in iceland like on the hot lava of Eyjafjallajökull (thanks to my wife for bringing him up there on her back!). Imagine that we slept the 3 of us in the car during one month. Fortunatly the car was big, but beleive me, It was kind of an adventure : )

I like to spend some time back in France in writing the story, so I'll be happy if you don't only have a look at the photos only, but also read the story that I made translated by Roland Glasser my professional english translator for your pleasure.

You can even listen to piece of music for a real 3D Icelandic experience : )

The story starts like this:

http://www.international-photographer.com/images/gallery/GALERIE-2/landakotskirkja-hallgrimskirkja-ecran-normal.jpg

It's always a pleasure to return to Reykjavik, a town that's made for strolling around, and where I feel very much at ease. The very day we arrived, I walked up toward the old hospital to photograph this neo-Gothic church, taking care to place the cathedral in the background. It was 11.25 pm on June 11, and the town was flooded with sunlight...

It continues here, but you must choose first your screen size:

http://international-photographer.com/gallery/iceland-gallery-2.htm

Hope you'll like this Icelandic trip!

Cheers,

Michael.

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim Cummings Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: ICELANDIC roadtrip: 30 DAYS in 60 IMAGES

Your photographs are truly awe inspiring. Wonderful in every way. Technically perfect yet sublime. I would hope there is  abook deal in this for you. You deserve it!

-- hide signature --

Jim

David Nall
David Nall Forum Pro • Posts: 15,522

Michael_Paris wrote:

Hi folks,

While I'm packing my gear for a new trip in Iceland (on monday), I thought that some of you might be interested in reading my 2012 roadtrip in the country.

After having presented you a "full" 2009 Roadtrip with about 2000 photos, I decided this time to limit myself to... only 60!

That's why I call this story : ICELAND: 30 DAYS in 60 IMAGES

It took a long time for editing as you can imagine...

But let me present you the background :

1 | I was a Canon guy since ever, but the D800 was just out at this time (june 2012) and I couldn't resist testing it.

These photos are made with both 5D markII and D800. I felt unconfortable with the D800 so didn't use it that much, and sold it just after the trip.

2 | I took my wife... and 20 months kid with me! This is not the easiest way to concentrate on landscape photography, but I'm proud to having make it possible, it's great to have some photos of my little boy off the beaten tracks in iceland like on the hot lava of Eyjafjallajökull (thanks to my wife for bringing him up there on her back!). Imagine that we slept the 3 of us in the car during one month. Fortunatly the car was big, but beleive me, It was kind of an adventure : )

I like to spend some time back in France in writing the story, so I'll be happy if you don't only have a look at the photos only, but also read the story that I made translated by Roland Glasser my professional english translator for your pleasure.

You can even listen to piece of music for a real 3D Icelandic experience : )

The story starts like this:

http://www.international-photographer.com/images/gallery/GALERIE-2/landakotskirkja-hallgrimskirkja-ecran-normal.jpg

It's always a pleasure to return to Reykjavik, a town that's made for strolling around, and where I feel very much at ease. The very day we arrived, I walked up toward the old hospital to photograph this neo-Gothic church, taking care to place the cathedral in the background. It was 11.25 pm on June 11, and the town was flooded with sunlight...

It continues here, but you must choose first your screen size:

http://international-photographer.com/gallery/iceland-gallery-2.htm

Hope you'll like this Icelandic trip!

Cheers,

Michael.

Beautiful series of shots Michael.  Iceland is such a unique place.

-- hide signature --

Visit my gallery at http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/
View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.
http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v58/p1109307522-2.jpg

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
Andre Bomhof
Andre Bomhof Veteran Member • Posts: 4,672

Great series, Michael! Best collection Iceland impressions I have seen in a long time. And judging by the decent weather, Thor seems to have been looking down on you with kindness.

André

lukep Senior Member • Posts: 2,076

great job, this is a really amazing series, really amazing

My only critique or feedback would be that some images appear overly processed?  Or maybe they were shot HDR  - they have that look.  On the other end they have great color.

overall its a great series!

tchuanye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,870

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

tchuanye's gear list:tchuanye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 +10 more
MohammedB Junior Member • Posts: 49

Hi Michael,

These are breathtaking pics! I really enjoyed looking at them, well done.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get your images so clear and crisp? Is there a HDR tinge to them?

Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,012

I went through all of both Iceland galleries today, and really enjoyed it.

Could you make some comments about the range of lenses used? Couldn't find any EXIF or other information on the site.

-- hide signature --
 Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
bondiblue Contributing Member • Posts: 830
Beautiful set !

So many beautiful shots. I loved the pic of Andy looking out the back of the car at the water, and the last one of the bottles lined up against the window

You made me wish I could order a couple of prints...

You made me want to travel to Iceland, many thanks for the map at the end !

You made me wish I had a DSLR, finally...

Congratulations !

bondiblue's gear list:bondiblue's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Niklas Ramstedt
Niklas Ramstedt Regular Member • Posts: 281

That was an amazing set and nice to have a story to go with. Loved it, thank you for sharing!

-- hide signature --
 Niklas Ramstedt's gear list:Niklas Ramstedt's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +3 more
vander
vander Senior Member • Posts: 2,513
Only one problem, okay, maybe two..

... first problem is this would be my dream trip, you've done it, and doing it again and I still haven't been there.

And second problem is with the 2nd image. That Caddy is not even close to being a 1970's model. That car is from the 90's.

Outstanding photos, I loved every single one of them and I'm so envious. I'm looking forward to seeing your new set. Enjoy you lucky, lucky person.

-- hide signature --

Check out my photo galleries !!
http://www.vandervalk.ca

Michael_Paris
OP Michael_Paris Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Only one problem, okay, maybe two..

Hi Folks,

Thank you very much, I really enjoy reading your comments.

Sorry for the caddy: this one is from the 90's ok : ) but I swear you can find a range of american cars from the 70's to now, with a special taste for the vintage ones.

@ Ray: Nothing special really, i just spend some time in post processing, in LR first, then in Photoshop. I just spend enough time on every part of the image if necessary (specially for teh sharpening), but I always try to keep it as natural as possible.

No HDR at all, except for the photo of the plane, which is a multiexposure of 3 images, as far as I remember.

You can find down the page a "PHOTO GEAR" section, clic on it and you will find the lens and camera I used for each photo.

Once again, thank you for your feedbacks!

Michael.

dsecrieru Regular Member • Posts: 220

Beautiful set! Really enjoyed watching your photos. Thanks!

___

Daniel.

Ziad joseph
Ziad joseph Regular Member • Posts: 338

I am left a bit spellbound by your capture of Iceland I yearn to visit there and you have done it in style. I started my day this morning with your collection of photos and now I feel serene and tranquil for some reason, appreciating many things that we miss in our busy hustle and bustle lifestyles.

Ziad joseph's gear list:Ziad joseph's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR
Michael_Paris
OP Michael_Paris Forum Member • Posts: 67

Thanks again for this nice comment!

I'm packing my gear now to back in Iceland on monday.

I want to see some snow there... and hopefully some northern lights.

fireplace33
fireplace33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,275

Wow. Fantastic set of images!

There's something special about the light in Iceland. I was lucky enough to visit about 20 years ago and would love to go back there again one day. After seeing your pictures, maybe it will be sooner than later!

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 +16 more
dangerita Regular Member • Posts: 133

Great series ! Dramatic light and wonderfull scenery. Favourite ones:

Best regards,

Petra

-- hide signature --
Jane79
Jane79 Regular Member • Posts: 438

Very nice indeed!

UncleLJ Contributing Member • Posts: 893

Absolutely beautiful, stunning images. Thank you for posting, sharing. I love the one of your boy, sitting in the wheel of the truck....and of him looking out the back window of the car.

-- hide signature --
 UncleLJ's gear list:UncleLJ's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
dick707
dick707 Senior Member • Posts: 2,740

Beautiful images of a beautiful country

Thanks for posting

Dick

www.hood.photoshelter.com

dick707's gear list:dick707's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPhone 6 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads