I love Hong Kong.

Started Mar 4, 2013 | Discussions
The A-Team
The A-Team Regular Member • Posts: 352
I love Hong Kong.

After a few months of delay, I finally went full frame and got a 6D. Exciting times!

One of the great things about living in Hong Kong is the price of new gear. For some reason, things are just cheaper than the states, and especially Europe.

I got a 6D kit + 24-105L for $2320. The body alone would have been $1675. I place my savings at about $300 on the kit compared to B&H.

Further, I got a 50 1.4 for $375 (nothing special there), and a 70-300 IS for $390 (definitely a good deal there).

All these from reputable dealers, with official Canon warranties, where the service is outstanding in HK.

Feeling good! But curious, why is HK cheaper than pretty much everywhere else when it comes to camera gear? And why are some lenses significantly cheaper, while others are more or less the same?

-- hide signature --

www.aputure.com/blog

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike921 Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: I love Hong Kong.

One thing to check, insure the serial numbers of the box, camera, warranty card, and EXIF all match. I've read reports where some dealers in HK have been selling bodies with counterfeit serial numbers (to cover the origin of the equipment and/or to mask refurbs). Canon has some issues servicing gear with such numbers.

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S400 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X +12 more
DeFinitive
DeFinitive Regular Member • Posts: 271

The A-Team wrote:

After a few months of delay, I finally went full frame and got a 6D. Exciting times!

One of the great things about living in Hong Kong is the price of new gear. For some reason, things are just cheaper than the states, and especially Europe.

I got a 6D kit + 24-105L for $2320. The body alone would have been $1675. I place my savings at about $300 on the kit compared to B&H.

Further, I got a 50 1.4 for $375 (nothing special there), and a 70-300 IS for $390 (definitely a good deal there).

All these from reputable dealers, with official Canon warranties, where the service is outstanding in HK.

Feeling good! But curious, why is HK cheaper than pretty much everywhere else when it comes to camera gear? And why are some lenses significantly cheaper, while others are more or less the same?

I love HK also, I'm a frequent visitor there as I live very near by in the Philippines these days. I have bought quite a bit of my Canon gear there in the past few years and more recently the Olympus OM-D E-M5. Great place for street photography.

I'm also considering getting a 6D body only as I already have a few EF lenses that I'll use with it, seems like you got a good deal, do you mind passing on where you got your 6D?

Just saw your latest post, that's where I've been shopping lately, got my Olympus gear there. Think I've been in most of the shops along there and found them just as competitive as other areas.

The A-Team
OP The A-Team Regular Member • Posts: 352

Mike921 wrote:

One thing to check, insure the serial numbers of the box, camera, warranty card, and EXIF all match. I've read reports where some dealers in HK have been selling bodies with counterfeit serial numbers (to cover the origin of the equipment and/or to mask refurbs). Canon has some issues servicing gear with such numbers.

Okay I'll check on that when I get home tonight. The dealer seemed pretty trustworthy, but DID talk down my usual Stanley Street dealers where I've purchased gear for the past 8 years, saying they do such things. I was surprised that he could be those guys on price.

-- hide signature --

www.aputure.com/blog

tocar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,475

BestBuy has the 6D with lens for sale now for $2400.  I believe it's cheaper in Hong Kong because the camera is meant for a different geographic market and doesn't have that exclusive USA warranty.  Shipping is probably cheaper since it's closer from Japan.  It's not significantly cheaper but what you pay in shipping will offset the savings.

tocar's gear list:tocar's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D +1 more
The A-Team

DeFinitive wrote:

I'm also considering getting a 6D body only as I already have a few EF lenses that I'll use with it, seems like you got a good deal, do you mind passing on where you got your 6D?

Agree that it's a great place for street photography.

I got my 6D from Echo.

Having local warranties is really important for me though. I always get things serviced. If you're a frequent visitor I guess its not a big deal though.

-- hide signature --

www.aputure.com/blog

DeFinitive

The A-Team wrote:

DeFinitive wrote:

Agree that it's a great place for street photography.

I got my 6D from Echo.

Having local warranties is really important for me though. I always get things serviced. If you're a frequent visitor I guess its not a big deal though.

Ok thanks, I'll check them out next time I'm there. I should ask for a local warranty also as that's probably where I'd want to get my gear looked at anyway.

SwedishGoose
SwedishGoose Regular Member • Posts: 272

And here I came hoping to see some nice photos from one of the citys in the world that I have loved most.

Unfortunateley I have only been there once, back in 1997. I bought a new EOS Body when I was there and shot quite a few rolls of positive film on it.It was cheaper than in Sweden, so much I remember.

Would love to go back there one day.... love the city, it is very photogenic

-- hide signature --
jayelae Regular Member • Posts: 148

o

View of Hong Kong from Kowloon

Here is a shot taken at a little past 8am through the glass window of my harbour view room in the Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel last December. I used the Canon 5D3 coupled with the 24-70 F/2.8 L II. I had just purchased the 24-70 in HK.

jayelae's gear list:jayelae's gear list
Canon G1 X II Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
Marek07
Marek07 Regular Member • Posts: 371

There are a few internet sites such as DigitalRev which are based in Hong kong and also have cheaper prices, I have used DR several times and never found any problems with the gear, the only thing sometimes there is no instructions but this can be downloaded from the camera website..

I think with the net the customer has the power to be more savvy when looking to buy technology and Hong Kong just seems more competitive.

Marek07's gear list:Marek07's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +1 more
DeFinitive

Marek07 wrote:

There are a few internet sites such as DigitalRev which are based in Hong kong and also have cheaper prices, I have used DR several times and never found any problems with the gear, the only thing sometimes there is no instructions but this can be downloaded from the camera website..

I think with the net the customer has the power to be more savvy when looking to buy technology and Hong Kong just seems more competitive.

I think you'll find DR to be more expensive than the US and HK street prices, that's what I always see when comparing. Still an option though for people who want to buy online.

The A-Team

DeFinitive wrote:

Marek07 wrote:

I think you'll find DR to be more expensive than the US and HK street prices, that's what I always see when comparing. Still an option though for people who want to buy online.

I've noticed that too. However I was looking at their website a few weeks ago, and their prices for the 60D and 6D had fallen way down to $699 and $1,899 respectively. Now it seems they have gone back up again. The 5D3 is priced at a remarkable $3650. Strange...

-- hide signature --

www.aputure.com/blog

tocar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,475

In 1983 I went to the Philippines and made a side trip to Hong Kong.  I was young then and wasn't really much into photography.  I wish to go back there and see it again now with my photo gears in tow.  It was all a blur way back then but still enjoyable.  The most memorable was flying into Hong Kong as the buildings were really close when the plane was landing!

tocar's gear list:tocar's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D +1 more
Marek07
Marek07 Regular Member • Posts: 371

Yeah your right, The prices seem to of gone up! Mmmm wonder why???

Marek07's gear list:Marek07's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +1 more
DeFinitive

tocar wrote:

In 1983 I went to the Philippines and made a side trip to Hong Kong. I was young then and wasn't really much into photography. I wish to go back there and see it again now with my photo gears in tow. It was all a blur way back then but still enjoyable. The most memorable was flying into Hong Kong as the buildings were really close when the plane was landing!

I was fortunate enough to fly into the old HK airport once, it was a very stormy night which made the close proximity to the buildings and the way the plane turned at the last minute before landing pretty hairy, I could swear I saw someone stir frying with a wok in one of the apartments

Rbrt Regular Member • Posts: 133

tocar wrote:

In 1983 I went to the Philippines and made a side trip to Hong Kong. I was young then and wasn't really much into photography. I wish to go back there and see it again now with my photo gears in tow. It was all a blur way back then but still enjoyable. The most memorable was flying into Hong Kong as the buildings were really close when the plane was landing!

I've flown into that old Hong Kong airport many times. Sometimes I thought I could see individual blades of grass on the hill below us!

Hong Kong has had a new airport for some years now. Not nearly as exciting!

Rbrt's gear list:Rbrt's gear list
Nikon D610 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
ugoromano New Member • Posts: 6

Hi ,

as I am planning a trip to HK, may i ask you where did you purchased the 6D?

thanks

ugoromano's gear list:ugoromano's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +1 more
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,941

I find Hong Kong prices similar to US price when I was there in Dec. At the regular electronic stores its even more expensive than online here. Hong Kong is much cheaper than many places like Australia, EMEA etc.

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +7 more
jrarsenault Senior Member • Posts: 1,150

I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years and bought most of my gear there, mostly in Mong Kok. Prices in Hong Kong are for the most part, the best in the world and there's no sales tax! There are places however that prey on tourists so one has to be careful. I personally got ripped off in a photo shop on Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Chui when I bought my first camera. Luckily I got part of my money back but not all of it. If you shop at the reputable dealers in Mong Kok, you will be treated very fairly.

There is also a Canon Showroom where you can browse and try any camera and lens combination that Canon makes. I spent quite a bit of time in that showroom!

Hong Kong is a beautiful, photogenic city with many opportunities for memorable photos. I look forward to going back for a visit one day.

Lamma Island - Fishing village: Sok Kwu Wan

Julius T Santos Senior Member • Posts: 1,476

The A-Team wrote:

For a few reasons:

a)  it's tax free

b)  less shipping cost from Japan

c)  competitive marketplace

Tin Cheung which has a branch at K11 building on TST as well as Stanley St is a good place to go as well as Echo ... I would avoid the shops on Nathan Road if at all possible.

I get most of my gear from HKG and the Canon Service Center which is located on Nathan Road provides excellent customer service.

-- hide signature --

www.juliussantos.com

Julius T Santos's gear list:Julius T Santos's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads