r exports in lr4 lossless?

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions
darwin36
darwin36 Forum Member • Posts: 50
r exports in lr4 lossless?

And when I rotate r they losslessas well?

darwin36's gear list:darwin36's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
plugin Contributing Member • Posts: 806
Re: r exports in lr4 lossless?

That depends what format you export. You can export TIFF, DNG, or PSD, all of which are lossless (OK, DNG can be lossless or lossy now).  If you are exporting JPG - they are never lossless.  However - as you are (if you use LR the way it was intended) re-editing an image after export, that has little impact.

mikes
mikes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,428
YES...

Whenever you export to anything in LR, a loss will incurred.

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

goanna Contributing Member • Posts: 638
Re: YES...

I am curious.

How is a 16 bit TIFF or PSD export not lossless?

goanna's gear list:goanna's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
mikes

Adobe is not 16 bit, they use 15bit +/- 1.

-- hide signature --

plugin Contributing Member • Posts: 806

I would say that in the context of the OPs question, they are lossless. Compared to what JPG compression does, they are not in the same category of behavior. You might claim there is technically some loss going to 15 bits (depending on the source that might even be true), but if we are getting technical the OP asked about exporting from, not importing to LR. For that operation I think most would agree it is lossless.

Bottom line - for the purpose of the OPs question, as long as they stay away from JPGs most people would consider it a lossless export.

mikes

From what I understand, whenever you convert, you lose, period (It has to with rounding or averaging). Starting with, and working with, the original (RAW) data is always best. At that stage, export to whatever format/color space/bit depth you please.

As for the OP'S context, if one word had to be given as the correct answer, then it will be yes.

Me, on the other hand, couldn't be bothered with worrying about. Go out and shoot and get your exposures and WB correct.

but if we are getting technical the OP asked about exporting from, not importing to LR. For that operation I think most would agree it is lossless.

Getting technical is why I say "Yes". From a non-technical perspective, then I would agree with you and that there is no VISUAL loss under further editing (providing extreme editing is never performed).

Bottom line - for the purpose of the OPs question, as long as they stay away from JPGs most people would consider it a lossless export.

Agreed, 99.999% of people would agree that it is lossless.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads