X100S Street Photography Locked

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Mr Sincere Regular Member • Posts: 336
Re: Want To See OOC Images?

I hope you keep sharing your photos here Brian, though I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, after reading the commentary you received on these photos and the wedding photos.  I personally find your photography to be incredibly inspiring.

I suppose some people just can't comprehend why someone would ever process their photos to do anything but show off perfect technical perfection.  It was obvious to me you were going for a certain look for artistic reasons, and I personally liked the look.

Mr Sincere's gear list:Mr Sincere's gear list
Panasonic LX100
Jorste Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: X100S Street Photography

I really enjoyed many of the shots. The mirror effect is not my thing, but that is a personal preference, I do however like those kind of washed out colors

ricky1981 Regular Member • Posts: 244

I have lurked on here for ages but signed up just to say thanks for posting the images. I really like the look and whilst I'd love some SOOC shots as well, I think you've got a great style to the shots posted. As for comparing an iPhone 4 to any modern camera, words fail me, I have an iPhone 5 and it's okay for snapshots but it's not going to serve any serious photographer in the same way as even a decent compact let alone something like the X100S.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the AF speed as I've read mixed things and it's one of my main reasons for wanting the X100S over the X100.

ricky1981's gear list:ricky1981's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm
francesco from rome Forum Member • Posts: 90

I appreciate your pics (subject, composition, and PP were fine for me) and your pros & cons post. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

francesco from rome's gear list:francesco from rome's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
OP BrianKraft Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: AF review and more

ricky1981 wrote:

I have lurked on here for ages but signed up just to say thanks for posting the images. I really like the look and whilst I'd love some SOOC shots as well, I think you've got a great style to the shots posted. As for comparing an iPhone 4 to any modern camera, words fail me, I have an iPhone 5 and it's okay for snapshots but it's not going to serve any serious photographer in the same way as even a decent compact let alone something like the X100S.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the AF speed as I've read mixed things and it's one of my main reasons for wanting the X100S over the X100.

Thank you! And welcome out of the shadows! Yeah, the iPhone 4 comparison boggles my mind. I went into it with an open mind (since I don't own an iPhone). I popped open the original file, only to discover a marked lack of detail in the image. At a smaller size on a screen is fine, but anything larger or in print. Nope.

So, I've been slowly, but surely updating my thoughts about the camera on my blog. I've addressed AF somewhat. I suggest periodically checking back to the post, as I have more thoughts formalized and written.

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/fuji-x100s-pros-and-cons/

Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

ricky1981 wrote:

if you want my honest answer about the x100s, I can say that the X100s AF is significantly improved over the X100. somehow as fast as the EM-5 in some areas. what I liked about it is the responsiveness. IQ is pretty much as expected but much more to offer, somehow pretty makes me forget about the RX1.

ricky1981 Regular Member • Posts: 244

Ariston wrote:

ricky1981 wrote:

if you want my honest answer about the x100s, I can say that the X100s AF is significantly improved over the X100. somehow as fast as the EM-5 in some areas. what I liked about it is the responsiveness. IQ is pretty much as expected but much more to offer, somehow pretty makes me forget about the RX1.

Awesome, that's great feedback. I don't need lightning-fast AF but I did find the X100 a bit too slow especially when I have a 2 year old running around! I love the quality of the images and something about the X100 just made me want to get out and take photos.

ricky1981's gear list:ricky1981's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm

Ariston wrote:

ricky1981 wrote:

why I say some is because I felt the camera could still do better and is quite limited possibly due to the PDAF sensor being concentrated on the center of the frame. anyway, it is still an improvement which I was after from the start. if the x100s was underwhelming, you would have heard something negative from me already.

ricky1981 wrote:

Ariston wrote:

ricky1981 wrote:

Awesome, that's great feedback. I don't need lightning-fast AF but I did find the X100 a bit too slow especially when I have a 2 year old running around! I love the quality of the images and something about the X100 just made me want to get out and take photos.

ugh ! tell me about the X100. love the IQ, hate the responsiveness and mediocre AF speed. the firmware updates did help though, but still limiting. on the otherhand, the X-Trans results appeal to me more. just fantastic lowlight/High-ISO results.

Mr Sincere Regular Member • Posts: 336
Re: AF review and more

BrianKraft wrote:

So, I've been slowly, but surely updating my thoughts about the camera on my blog. I've addressed AF somewhat. I suggest periodically checking back to the post, as I have more thoughts formalized and written.

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/fuji-x100s-pros-and-cons/

Thanks for the incredibly informative blog post, Brian.

I was actually quite relieved to read you can't use the Q menu to turn on the ND filter (or, that you can't have a dedicated button for both ISO and the ND filter).  That alone pretty much cures any temptation I had to swap my X-E1 for the x100s.  

I loved having the RAW button assigned to the ND filter on my x100.  They really should've figured out a way to offer a dedicated button for it, or at the very least added it to the Q menu.

I have to say, Fuji is better than most about adding features through firmware updates.  So hopefully they'll address this.

Mr Sincere's gear list:Mr Sincere's gear list
Panasonic LX100
Uwe Steinmueller
Uwe Steinmueller Veteran Member • Posts: 3,414
Re: Want To See OOC Images?

>Thank you for any tips on "better" post-processing, but what I do is fully intentional and not an attempt to try to recover blacks or whatever someone may think.

That is all fine, these are your images. Still think a bit more contrast would not hurt.

-- hide signature --
Asylum Photo
Asylum Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,277

BrianKraft wrote:

I got a chance to get out for a couple of hours today with the new X100S and shoot some street photography in Denver. Check it!

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/fuji-x100s-street-photography/

I enjoyed the pictures and the working review. Glad to see Fuji is making improvements, hopefully they'll bring them to the XF mount cameras soon.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
ljclark Senior Member • Posts: 2,407
Good Lord People...

(Why I don't visit this site for months at a time...)

The OP posted some photos demonstrating the X100s.  Aesthetic interpretation won out over technical demonstration.  As a result, the photos don't differentiate the X100s from the rest of the pack.  Oh well.

Someone else made an offhand remark about iPhones.  I don't think it was a deliberate troll, but that poster made the mistake of reacting to those that wanted it to be a troll...An unfortunate self-fulfilling prophecy.

Method for demonstrations?  When I want to test or demonstrate a camera, I don't go to pretty places.  I go to ugly places that will most likely show the limitations.  I have a place I go in the DC area that has awful lighting of several different types all converging.  It's really easy to foul up a photo -- which is why I go there.  If I'm trying to figure out a camera, my aesthetic vision doesn't count at all.

Of the OP's postings in this thread, the one that intrigues me the most is the one of the guitar player against the Denver poster (you can see it in my other posting).  When I saw that photo, what I really wanted to know was how much detail was in those dark clothes.  How much did the camera capture?  How much was processed away?  That would have been an interesting bit of information to have going into my own purchase to the X100s.

As for iPhones...I have a friend who is a videographer.  Her undergraduate degree is in studio photography from some place like Stanford.  She does very, very nice work.  And she posts something from her iPhone almost every day on Facebook.  Works just fine.  Not making 13 x 19 prints (the Army calls that "troop to task").  Is taking a picture with an iPhone any worse than "crippling" (used as an example -- not pointing fingers here) the output from a "real" camera?

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +36 more
Pasaguy Regular Member • Posts: 149

BrianKraft wrote:

I got a chance to get out for a couple of hours today with the new X100S and shoot some street photography in Denver. Check it!

I have an x100s on pre-order and I absolutely love your photos.  I love the post processing, the look and the overall feel of the photographs.  A job well done in capturing what you want and making it look the way you want and standing up for your work.

I'd love to be able to have my photos turn out like yours.  Do you need a protege by chance??

Funduro
Funduro Contributing Member • Posts: 983

BrianKraft wrote:

Thank you for posting the link to your site and insightful pro/con points . You do have your style and many photographers can't accept it, so what. I'm not considering replacing my X100 for the new S model(yet), but do appreciate that Fuji did improve it.

Also enjoyed seeing your primary work.  Your customers, I bet, DO appreciate "your" style.

-- hide signature --

FYI avatar image is by Steve McCurry

Funduro's gear list:Funduro's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 +11 more
ljclark Senior Member • Posts: 2,407
Motion to Amend the Record...

...He is trolling now.

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +36 more
forbaz Contributing Member • Posts: 510

BrianKraft wrote:

Hi Brian,

Appreciate the images, they look great.

Question - if you don't mind. Regarding the PP was it VSCO or Alien Skin or similar? Cheers

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Forbaz
flickr.com/photos/markforbes

forbaz's gear list:forbaz's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more

forbaz wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

Hi Brian,

Appreciate the images, they look great.

Question - if you don't mind. Regarding the PP was it VSCO or Alien Skin or similar? Cheers

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Forbaz
flickr.com/photos/markforbes

Thanks. Lightroom.

Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,328
Odd lack of dynamic range

Brian - great to see the X100S in use

Quick question RE exposure/PP

All of the images posted are lacking true blacks, i.e. their dynamic range does not extend to the black end of the levels histogram.

Was this deliberate?

Look at the histogram for this image

The image has no blacks - probably a stop of dynamic range is missing

If I slide the black level up in CS6, you can already see how much better the image looks

If this was deliberate, then fair call - it's a look

If not, then you may want to calibrate your monitor to ensure you're using the dynamic range available in each image.

And you may want to look at your exposures in camera to ensure you're making the most of the dynamic range available.

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +37 more
Re: Odd lack of dynamic range

It was deliberate. Thank you, though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads