X100S Street Photography Locked

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
BrianKraft Regular Member • Posts: 224
X100S Street Photography

I got a chance to get out for a couple of hours today with the new X100S and shoot some street photography in Denver. Check it!

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/fuji-x100s-street-photography/

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NachoYogi Regular Member • Posts: 142
Re: X100S Street Photography

Nice photos, thanks for posting.

Any thoughts on performance vs. your x100?

Have you noticed the focus speed difference in OVF vs. EVF that others are mentioning in this forum?

NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +9 more
tazmac
tazmac Regular Member • Posts: 360

Those are really great shots! What setting are you using?

Thanks!

crsantin Contributing Member • Posts: 560

Some interesting photos there, but I'm not a fan of that type of post-processing at all, and they don't really tell me what this camera's sensor is capable of...if that was the purpose of your post.   I did get a sense of what you are capable of as a photographer, but those images could have been taken with pretty much any camera on the market.  How about posting the ooc shots instead so we can get a better sense of colour and image rendering?

FMohsin
FMohsin Senior Member • Posts: 1,166

Enjoyed the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

FM

FMohsin's gear list:FMohsin's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 20D Olympus E-1 +14 more
Tom Zimmer
Tom Zimmer Contributing Member • Posts: 608

Brian, I think you have a good eye for the scene. Keep up the good work.

But, I have to say that I think you may be running into the "I don't want too much black" syndrome. I have noticed in my own photography with the X-E1, that I sometimes tend to PP the blacks out of existence, which has the unfortunate effect of reducing the contrast too much. On the other side of the coin, I understand the desire to get more detail in the dark areas, but that needs to be handled with the wonderful dynamic range setting that Fuji offers in these cameras. My suggestion would be to try the Auto setting for dynamic range, or perhaps just experiment with setting DR to 400 and then PP to get black down to where you want it.  This should retain more detail in the dark areas.

Just my thoughts, and I hope it helps,

-- hide signature --

Tom Zimmer
http://tomzimmer.wordpress.com
Fujifilm X-E1, Sony A77, A55
And my old friends - Sigma DP2, SD10, SD14

chainmale Forum Member • Posts: 62

The contrast is very poor - were they taken in the wrong colour space settings for the web perhaps?

rich789 Regular Member • Posts: 184

crsantin wrote:

Some interesting photos there, but I'm not a fan of that type of post-processing at all, and they don't really tell me what this camera's sensor is capable of...if that was the purpose of your post. I did get a sense of what you are capable of as a photographer, but those images could have been taken with pretty much any camera on the market. How about posting the ooc shots instead so we can get a better sense of colour and image rendering?

+1

rich789's gear list:rich789's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Rob13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,116

crsantin wrote:

Some interesting photos there, but I'm not a fan of that type of post-processing at all, and they don't really tell me what this camera's sensor is capable of...if that was the purpose of your post. I did get a sense of what you are capable of as a photographer, but those images could have been taken with pretty much any camera on the market. How about posting the ooc shots instead so we can get a better sense of colour and image rendering?

Got to agree, I liked the pictures but the colours or PP was not what I was expecting to see, if I was looking for what the new X100s can do over my existing X100.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
R3A M7 M9 X-Pro1 E-M5 X100 DP2

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,263

Tom Zimmer wrote:

But, I have to say that I think you may be running into the "I don't want too much black" syndrome.

Agreed.  The "blackpoint" is way too high...looks grey.  This robs of the photos of pop...makes them look flat.  The trick is adjusting your curves to pull detail from the shadows but still have totally black blacks.

palincss Contributing Member • Posts: 752

Rob13 wrote:

Got to agree, I liked the pictures but the colours or PP was not what I was expecting to see, if I was looking for what the new X100s can do over my existing X100.

And if you follow the "Pros and Cons" link from the main blog page that's exactly what you'll get.  So far, all Pros.

brudy Senior Member • Posts: 1,510

I'm sorry to the OP but I have to agree. The compositions are nice, but the PP isn't for me either. There are no blacks, and little contrast. Everything looks washed out. But we all know what the sensor is capable of here.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7R Fujifilm X-T10
OP BrianKraft Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: Want To See OOC Images?

If you want to see OOC images from the X100S, there are already dozens upon dozens of examples on the internet--even direct comparison shots against the X100 at various ISOs. They've been shared on this forum and there are plenty to see on Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=x100s&s=rec

Me posting my photos is one person's visual perspective. Dare I say, my "art," using my own approach with the X100S and not some technical demonstration of the new sensor, alone. Some people don't like my art, while many people do. Shouldn't it be allowed for someone to post their art here without it being seen as some gross departure from what you may do, and thus game for unnecessary criticism?

Thank you for any tips on "better" post-processing, but what I do is fully intentional and not an attempt to try to recover blacks or whatever someone may think. Again, it's a choice I make. If it's not your thing, enjoy someone else's or your own.

argyrotype Contributing Member • Posts: 597

Nice reply, Brian.  You make your point without putting anyone else down.  I don't personally care for the washed out look, but there's some nice  images, esp the old guitar player.

-- hide signature --

the photographer formerly known as 'Kallitype'

HetFotoAtelier
HetFotoAtelier Contributing Member • Posts: 573

Hi,

I think the levels are not correct, there is no real black in the pictures!

HetFotoAtelier's gear list:HetFotoAtelier's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon D1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon Df +14 more
ljclark Senior Member • Posts: 2,408
Back and Forth Notwithstanding...

...OP made it clear (in follow-up) that the images represent his aesthetic intent, not a technical demonstration.  I agree.  However, I don't see anything in the images that speaks to an advantage of the X100s over the X100 -- or dozens of other cameras. These pictures, in their present form, do not offer a persuasive argument for buying an X100s (though mine is already on order as an upgrade from an X100), but selling the camera was apparently NOT the intent of the OP.

I think the histogram above shows the decision of the OP about what he chose to show, and what he decided not to show.  That's a personal call.  However, for those who like to pin the bottom of the final image to something close a true black, one does wonder what visual information at the bottom end disappeared during PP.

One semi-intangible element might be the user experience.  Did the experience of shooting with the X100s influence the choice of subject and manner of presentation?

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +36 more
aliminator Junior Member • Posts: 31

crsantin wrote:

I think that his purpose was to show his photographic skills first. He does the same PP workflow with all his shots.

Edit: Ups, I didn't read Brian's follow up. He explained his intentions.

rockygag Senior Member • Posts: 1,209
Re: Back and Forth Notwithstanding...

Sad as it is, DP-Review is a GEAR forum, and as a result you tend to get folks here who are much more interested in exactly what the camera can do relative to it's specification, and what it does relative to other cameras.

From what  I have seen, there is often little tolerance for deviation from this theme in the gear portions of the overall DP review.

Personally, I see the vision that the OP was going for, and for my tastes, I like more contrast.  To each his own.

That however still is no excuse to be rude or snide EVEN if it does not get one banned.  Yes, many camera phones do have more pop, but also WAY less ergonomics for shooting.  This still is however no reason to launch a blistering attack.

Have a good day ......

Dave

droid3000
droid3000 Regular Member • Posts: 178

BrianKraft wrote:

If you want to see OOC images from the X100S, there are already dozens upon dozens of examples on the internet--even direct comparison shots against the X100 at various ISOs. They've been shared on this forum and there are plenty to see on Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=x100s&s=rec

Me posting my photos is one person's visual perspective. Dare I say, my "art," using my own approach with the X100S and not some technical demonstration of the new sensor, alone. Some people don't like my art, while many people do. Shouldn't it be allowed for someone to post their art here without it being seen as some gross departure from what you may do, and thus game for unnecessary criticism?

Thank you for any tips on "better" post-processing, but what I do is fully intentional and not an attempt to try to recover blacks or whatever someone may think. Again, it's a choice I make. If it's not your thing, enjoy someone else's or your own.

Hi,

I like the pics and your style, professional work. How do you feel with the x100s AF? It's worth the upgrade from the x100?

hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,282
Re: Back and Forth Notwithstanding...

Since OP posted the link on a public forum, I'll offer my opinion: these photos are good, but they would be *excellent* if he didn't PP at all.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads