Elinchrom general/service question

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions
anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 9,161
Elinchrom general/service question

I normally don't post here, but...

I'm a (very satisfied) Dynalite user - over 14 years on a pair of packs and a monolight and only one service needed in that time, back in 2010, and I've easily got half a million hard frames on them. But I like some other brands light modifiers, so I was experimenting with an Elinchrom 500 BXRI and after only about 3 months, it's blown up on me (and I didn't even push it hard), giving me just a clicking/buzzing sound when I try to trigger the flash intermittently now, only firing perhaps 1 out of 4 times via any method (sync, wizards, or slave). So off to warranty service it goes - anyone out there have any comments (positive or negative) about what I might experience with Elinchrom service? Love their light modifiers so far, but not that impressed obviously with their units reliability at this point... Wondering if I should have tried something in their newer "Style" series, perhaps it's better made?

-m

Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,474
Re: Elinchrom general/service question

Can't help you with specific service (I've only ordered parts) but search for threads from Jack Zucker here. He was having some issues with his 500 BRXI and dealt quite extensively with service. Not sure what info was exchanged on the forum vs. PM here -- but I recall he was planning a switch to Einstein.

He could give you quite a bit of insight. Mark Astman from Manfrotto also peruses these forums on occasion.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +13 more
Don89
Don89 Senior Member • Posts: 1,510

I've heard of issues with the BXRI too. I've only owned Elinchrom units. MicroAS, ELs and the current RX series. The units I have work perfectly. Firing 100%, never failed, never needed repair.

Look into the RX units and an EL Skyport remote set.

Peter Berressem Forum Pro • Posts: 10,647
Re: Elinchrom quality

It has to be considered that the compact BX and D-lite are Elinchrom's low-budget series. They are built in India, supposedly not to the higher specs of the Swiss made RX etc.

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

OP anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 9,161

Thanks. I'll shop the BX off for warranty repair and longer term start thinking about an RX unit.

-m

Jack A. Zucker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,539

Elinchrom service and support are horrible. I had (2) BXRI-500 flash units burn up after only 3-4 months of use. They were being used in a beauty dish with a sock and the modeling light (even dialed down) produced so much heat that it melted the bulb socket which (amazingly) is made out of  plastic. The thermo sensor doesn't read heat on the modeling light side of the front panel so it did not shut the unit off until it literally melted the soldering connections on the board.

This was a design defect and their engineer confirmed this but elinchrom support was just awful. I had a terrible time getting someone to call back and my requests for a loaner were ignored. Furthermore , it took 4 weeks to get the first one back and unfortunately, a 2nd one burned out a couple days after receiving the first one back. Another 4 weeks down the drain.

I was then told that if I continued using it in a beauty dish with a sock they would not be able to cover it under warranty.

I wrote letters to B&H where I bought the units (4) of them, Scott Kelby (who pushes them all over the place and obviously gets 'em free) as well as the various managers and supervisors for elinchrom.

No reasonable solution was provided other than to tell me to stop using them the way I was using them.

I sold them for fifty cents on the dollar, replaced them with Einsteins and never looked back. The einsteins have been super reliable, cheaper, and paul buff support is unbelievably good.

I will never buy another elinchrom product.

Feel free to contact me if you want more info.

Jack

Jack A. Zucker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,539

also, regarding the 39 deep octa, i've found the buff 36" octa to give me just about the same quality of light and the mount is not prone to bending like the cheap pot-metal one they use on elinchrom.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads