Improving newborn photos

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions
motion Contributing Member • Posts: 785
Improving newborn photos
 motion's gear list:motion's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
fuego6
fuego6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,222
Re: Improving newborn photos

Well.. hard to say without some sample images.. but I would say just bang it away in LR to get the basic corrected (WB, highlights, clarity) and then bring into PS for some blemish removal and skin smoothing... clone tool should be a friend.

Depends on how much you are getting for the project on how far to take each photo... I would guess you aren't getting thousands of dollars so be sure your time is well spent so you don't lose money on the project while still getting the best you can.

And... as far as presets and software - sometimes you need to invest in the tools to help you save time AND use them for future projects... I spend thousands yearly on my computer and software but that translates into better results, more profits and more clients... in the end, its time and money well spent.

Please provide a sample so we can work on the image and tell you it was done.

Enjoy!

OP motion Contributing Member • Posts: 785

Well, after reading various tips and experimenting I've found the key to be the "color" section in LR, more specifically lowering saturation and increasing luminance of the red and orange channels a little bit, after first having adjusted the color temperature (lowering it to almost when it becomes a little cold), correcting the exposure, usually increased fill-light a bit and lowering clarity a little bit. All this helps quite a bit but I'm still not quite there yet. I find the skin slightly pale (makes sense with the desaturation of red/orange), so is there a way to keep the skin looking "healthy" and "creamy" while not having the usual red/orange blotchiness and uneveness of newborn/baby skin? Sorry, I don't have any images to post as my client wouldn't like that, but it's a fairly general type of retouching problem -uneven skin tones with excess of red and orange.

I haven't really used LR much until recently and feel it takes some getting used to when having used PS for all my editing needs -especially the retouching section which I much prefer PS' "brush" method as opposed to "dot" method in LR. Lots more control in PS in my opinion. Other than that I can see LR as a very efficient tool for quickly editing and organized portraits which are fairly well shot to begin with and don't need heavy editing.

Yes, while I do agree that investing money in tools (presets, plugins etc.) can be worthwhile, I'd say for me at this stage I wouldn't even know what to buy, so that would be money wasted (as well as time -trying them all out). There are too many presets out there promising to turn your shots into something amazing and I don't quite know which tool I need for the job. Perhaps a good book on image editing (a practical one that is) would be a good start -recommendations are welcome!

So having said all that... .....what do you suggest I do in order to give the skin a little more "warmth" and "life" after having cleaned it up by decreasing saturation/increasing luminance of the red and orange channels?

motion's gear list:motion's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
SewSweet
SewSweet Junior Member • Posts: 39

please post a sample so we can give a specific example.

other than that - there are tons of free video tutorials on the internet with general advice.

i just purchased LR myself so I don't know much about it. Though I'm a professional graphic designer so I work in photoshop all the time. I've only owned LR now for a little over a week so I'm not much help there. I did notice right away the white balance eyedropper. I'd suggest giving that a try to color correct first off.

fuego6
fuego6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,222

motion wrote:

So having said all that... .....what do you suggest I do in order to give the skin a little more "warmth" and "life" after having cleaned it up by decreasing saturation/increasing luminance of the red and orange channels?

As before - I suggest you post an image so we can see what you are starting with.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads