Samsung could kill the competition in 2013

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,206
Samsung could kill the competition in 2013

I just read that, along with nx300 availability in march, there could be the presentation of nx1100, nx30 and nx-r. If so, and especially if Samsung addressed the problems with performance and the partial issue of high iso noise (perhaps with a totally new sensor for the nx-r, which imho won't be ff, but just a high quality aps-c), then it could cover all the segments in the mirrorless market and win in them all, thanks to the great lens lineup.

What do you think?

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
Samsung NX1100 Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
paulhome Contributing Member • Posts: 841
Re: Samsung could kill the competition in 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

I just read that, along with nx300 availability in march, there could be the presentation of nx1100, nx30 and nx-r. If so, and especially if Samsung addressed the problems with performance and the partial issue of high iso noise (perhaps with a totally new sensor for the nx-r, which imho won't be ff, but just a high quality aps-c), then it could cover all the segments in the mirrorless market and win in them all, thanks to the great lense lineup.

What do you think?

not really.

I love my samsung, but the lens line up is nice rather than great, good lenses at good prices. I do agree that the nx-r wont be ff, just a case of wishful thinking.

until there are more third party lenses and better flash options Samsung will always be the oddball choice

paulhome's gear list:paulhome's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
tecnoworld
OP tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,206

Actually I love being considered oddball

Of course I was referring to mirrorless market. Canikon and Pentax will always have a wider selection of lenses for their bigger dslr cameras, but only mft cameras have a larger selection of lenses than Samsung in the mirrorless world, and they have smaller sensors and higher costs, in average...

tkpenalty Regular Member • Posts: 451

tecnoworld wrote:

I just read that, along with nx300 availability in march, there could be the presentation of nx1100, nx30 and nx-r. If so, and especially if Samsung addressed the problems with performance and the partial issue of high iso noise (perhaps with a totally new sensor for the nx-r, which imho won't be ff, but just a high quality aps-c), then it could cover all the segments in the mirrorless market and win in them all, thanks to the great lens lineup.

What do you think?

Well, the NX300 generation is the first generation where they finally put a proper investment into their camera division; they wont be able to pull out anymore. I do hope they make a breakthrough, given their recent investment is bigger than the net worth of some companies...

Their task shouldn't be too difficult really, but the real world is a bit hard sometimes. I think the main thing is they need to blast the stigma against it being a consumer brand by releasing the full frame. This full frame mirror-less should provide:

1. capability of a full frame DSLR equivalent, or better -> technically easy if the marketing team doesnt interfere too much
  2. Retaining the samsung control paradigm -> lets face it, the cameras have some of the most well thought out ergonomcis
  3. Size advantage -> to a limited extent, not compromising its ergonomics  
crsantin Contributing Member • Posts: 562

Samsung isn't killing anyone in 2013, except maybe themselves.   They make nice cameras and lenses, but they are almost a non-entity in the North American market.  They seem unable to keep up with the competition.

tecnoworld

Your last sentence is very true and must be taken into account.

targut Regular Member • Posts: 456

Competitors are good people and there is no need to destroy and kill.

I have shot a couple of amazing photos with NX200 and 12-24mm today, and this made me happy. Do not care about competition.

I have already prepared money for NX300, but not because I am unhappy with NX200. I just beleive that Samsung will release another one gem of a lens this year.

That's what I think about it

targut's gear list:targut's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung NX2000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
tecnoworld

Please don't take my words literally

I just wanted to share my point of view, i.e.: nx cameras have been very nice products since the beginning, but largely underestimated, due to the fact that samsung is seen as a commercial brand of consumer electronics, and not as a potential manufacturer for a good level camera system.

I hope (since I invested in the system, buying several lenses including premium ones) that the new incoming models can address all the issues of the previous ones and surprise everyone.

ac146 Regular Member • Posts: 322

Hi!

Yes the 300 is one attractive unit....

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/camera-camcorder/smart-cameras/nx-cameras/EV-NX300ZBATGB

It will be interesting to see what the others will be like.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Nova Scotia, Canada

ac146's gear list:ac146's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS
monkeybrain Regular Member • Posts: 423

Samsung isn't killing anyone in 2013, except maybe themselves.   They make nice cameras and lenses, but they are almost a non-entity in the North American market.  They seem unable to keep up with the competition.

It‘s quite possible they're not overly in the North American market at the moment. They are no doubt already successful in South Korea, which is a large market in that disposable incomes are high and growing fast. There is obviously also the Chinese market to get into, which should be the priority of any camera company that wants to be strong in the future, and then South East Asia and India too of course. In all these markets the playing field is more level for Samsung, since the ingrained positions of Canon and Nikon are not as strong as in Japan and the West. Having a good product and great marketing is the key, if they step up the marketing, which they can afford, they'll do well.

monkeybrain's gear list:monkeybrain's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX100
hootsmon
hootsmon Contributing Member • Posts: 897

Just not happening, I'm afraid.

hootsmon's gear list:hootsmon's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS
Mescalamba Contributing Member • Posts: 858

Samsung products are undermarketed. They would need something really amazing to break through.

FF mirrorless would be insta-win (if priced reasonably). 1:1 AR FF even bigger..

Sadly, it will be Sony who will make first. Samsung makes reasonably good cams, lens etc. but they play it similar way to Panasonic - eg. keep it safe.

jonathanj
jonathanj Contributing Member • Posts: 939

I hope this will happen, but I'd rather they concentrate on bringing out more excellent lenses, maybe holding off releasing an NXR for now unless they have dramatic improvements (e.g. really effective on-sensor phase detect autofocus). I don't think they'll be able to massively increase their market share unless they can sell cameras to people who wouldn't currently consider Samsung, but that won't happen unless those people can get the lenses they want.

(An f2.8 standard zoom, and some more telephoto options, for example.)

I actually think it's more likely they'll release an Android NX camera to try and attract the smartphone crowd...

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Sigma dp1 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony Alpha a7R III +11 more
Michael Barker Senior Member • Posts: 1,966

I think they just need to maximize the halo effect from their tablets and phones, if they want to sell lots of cameras.

But at the moment I do not wish for them to sell lots of cameras. I don't care either way.

Here is what I do wish. That they would improve:

• repair service
  • quality control
  • photographic integrity (cooking of RAWs, stability of the RAW format)
  • third-party ecosystem (quicker third-party software support, more lens and accessories providers)

And I think it would be cool if they made:

• A DSLR-size mirrorless camera including top LCD to show settings, big grip, lots of battery life, good balance for long lenses, articulating OLED, top-end VF, flash ... in other words matching or exceeding the Nikon D7100 or Sony Alpha point by point and still coming in underweight by excluding the mirror and just by being better at everything. Personally, I think it should be an APS-C NX camera.  We don't need more FF choices.
  • A fast telephoto prime. Like the Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 but a little longer and a little lighter. With a price not in the stratosphere, say $450.
  • A couple more mid-range zooms. 16-85mm, 24-135mm. Personally I don't know why 24-135mm are only found for FF - the range makes great sense for APS-C.
johnznyc Regular Member • Posts: 127

Michael Barkowski wrote:

And I think it would be cool if they made:

• A DSLR-size mirrorless camera including top LCD to show settings, big grip, lots of battery life, good balance for long lenses, articulating OLED, top-end VF, flash ... in other words matching or exceeding the Nikon D7100 or Sony Alpha point by point and still coming in underweight by excluding the mirror and just by being better at everything. Personally, I think it should be an APS-C NX camera. We don't need more FF choices.
  • A fast telephoto prime. Like the Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 but a little longer and a little lighter. With a price not in the stratosphere, say $450.
  • A couple more mid-range zooms. 16-85mm, 24-135mm. Personally I don't know why 24-135mm are only found for FF - the range makes great sense for APS-C.

I agree 100%, especially for a mirrorless DLSR using super high quality LCD and more important, the viewfinder -- advances here could make a mirrored DLSR obsolete for most...

Still, Samsung's biggest issue in the camera market is the lack of a "marquee" brand name and while I am just getting back into photography, brand-name and cost seems more important to many than image quality, much like fine wines...

My Sony RX100 is a good example -- to a friend of my, the Leica lens acted as a stamp of approval.  Without it, to him it is just a point and shoot camera...

Also, I would like to see no more mistakes from Samsung, such the poor jpeg engine.  In review after review, this is hurting image quality perception, even though raw images are equal to the NEX-7.

ALMUSAFER Regular Member • Posts: 328

Please Samsung Reduce your Megapixels Count to 16MP only.

Build a new APS-C Sensor with only 16 Megapixels ,

Your NX Camera will be the best with 16MP.

The 20MP Sensor is not matching your NX lens , Plus having higher Pixel Density.

Thanks

Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,104
Samsung kills no one

If I am correct they have shown what they are made of at least to my mind, with giving the NX300 no EVF again. No, they give it ANDROID. Many photogs did not chose Samsung because they said it was not a photocam company. In my view, this has proven to be correct. Because what is lacking are things that have everything to do with the photographic department of the camera's:

- No EVF for the NX-xxx/xxxx series. NX300 seems to lack one, like I said...
- Poor JPEGs
- The extremely huge file thing and subsequent lock ups or at least very long waiting before you can shoot again
- NO IBIS but introducing kitlenses that do not have OIS either (a minor quibble may be)
- Virtually no possibility to mount lenses via an adapter (look at Sony and also m43 cams!)

On the photographic side to my mind there is nothing that sets Samsung cams apart. Also, the videodepartment is not too good either.

Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus all have their USPs. I simply can't see them in Samsung. If they revolutionise their productline for photographers, that would be very welcome and a good step in the right direction. But with this trackrecord, it is certainly not enough to convince masses to buy a Samsung mirrorless. I think the best papers are for Nikon, Canon and behind them Sony and Olympus. Panasonic is not really doing enough lately in my view. Like Samsung, they are at a disadvantage everstill because they are less considered to be a photocam company.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Draek
Draek Senior Member • Posts: 2,028

HAHAHA! no.

Now, here's the thing with Samsung: quality? they've got it. Their ST line is well-specced and has quite the favorable reviews in the el-cheapo digital market. Their WB line is *also* well-specced and well-reviewed in the travel zoom market. Their EX line is... seriously, don't get me started, because I'm the biggest fanboy of the Schneider-Kreuznach that graces my EX1, and for good reason. The NX line is... well, yeah, kind of weak at high ISO, but at low ISOs some tests have even put Samsung's 20Mpx sensor ahead of the NEX-7, which is just nuts; PanaOly has nothing close, and the less said about CaNikon's offerings in the area, the better.

Now... which one of the above lines is commercially successful, enough to be considered among the "big boys" of the segment? riiight.

Want me to believe Samsung is poised to take over the digital camera market? get me news of a  revamped marketing department, with the reincarnation of Steve Jobs at the head. Good products are not a surprise, and as history shows, certainly not enough.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

crsantin wrote:

Samsung isn't killing anyone in 2013, except maybe themselves. They make nice cameras and lenses, but they are almost a non-entity in the North American market. They seem unable to keep up with the competition.

didn't Samsung started out as a nobody in North America before it became an electronics giant? I think Samsung is following the same pattern it did way back. right now, their main target market seems to be the Asian and European Continent and it seems to be a popular brand on those regions except Japan which is a known camera niche market and competitor. all I'm saying is that Rome wasn't built overnight.

Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

it's a double-edge sword. I think that Samsung being an unknown camera maker as of the moment is a good thing because this would make the brand affordable for most people and the best bang for the buck system. DxOmarks even didn't realize the potential of the system not until they tested it. it's an amazing system that is unknown for most consumers and photographers. even camera sellers are not even aware of it's potential. I'd rather have the system not to be number #1 as popularity would mean high demand and which would spell the end of affordability.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads