Camera Bag

I am looking for a travel camera bag that will take:

A D600 + 24- 120 lens

A 70-200 lens

a wide angle lens

plus of course odds and ends like filters cleaners etc

Appreciate any ideas

Nick_Brisbane's gear list:Nick_Brisbane's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peter A. Stavrakoglou Veteran Member • Posts: 7,942
Re: Camera Bag

What type of bag - backpack, sling, messenger, shoulder?

-- hide signature --

My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 7D Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +18 more
ata3001
ata3001 Contributing Member • Posts: 725

Crumpler Seven Million Dollar Home bag. After close to a dozen different bags/styles, I like this one best BY FAR.

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN-F +28 more
hdr Senior Member • Posts: 2,841

I once saw a bag which has a compartment at one end of it for putting the camera in sideways (ie not from the top), with an easy access cover over it. The camera compartment's interior is made of a soft protective material. But being in a hurry, I did not remember any details. I will buy that for travelling as it is easy to access the camera while on the move.

Does anyone has any idea?

OP Nick_Brisbane Senior Member • Posts: 1,086

I don't  mind as long as I can access the camera quickly

Nick_Brisbane's gear list:Nick_Brisbane's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro
lakensea Contributing Member • Posts: 607

I am a proponent of the M-Rock bags (http://www.m-rock.com/)

The double access (actually triple access on the sling/backpacks) is a great feature.  I have one of each style (holster SLR, notebook SLR & sling/backpack) and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

-- hide signature --

Gary C.
www.edenrentals.com
wwww.lakeandsea.com

lakensea's gear list:lakensea's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a6000 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +12 more
Freeman-Jo Senior Member • Posts: 2,584

hdr wrote:

I once saw a bag which has a compartment at one end of it for putting the camera in sideways (ie not from the top), with an easy access cover over it. The camera compartment's interior is made of a soft protective material. But being in a hurry, I did not remember any details. I will buy that for travelling as it is easy to access the camera while on the move.

That type of bag is basically what people call, "sling".  It's basically look similar to a backpack, but usually have longer length(or same length) and slightly narrower.  But it only have one strap instead of two like normal backpack.  You wear it toward you back but diagonally, but you can switch to the front diagonally also.  And when you switch(sling) to the front, the side opening will appear on top and make it easy to open and grab the camera.  That's the purpose of sling bag.

-- hide signature --

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If picture worth a thousand words, how many megapixel is it?

Freeman-Jo's gear list:Freeman-Jo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III +8 more

I'm partial to sling bags, such as the Kata 3in1-30.  It will hold the gear you noted and then some.  It can be worn as a sling ir as a regular backpack, very versatile.  The Tamrac Evolution and LowePro Fastpack bags also work in the same fashion.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 7D Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +18 more
SithTracy
SithTracy Regular Member • Posts: 364

I've got the Crumpler 8 Million Dollar home.  My favorite bag.  I shoot a lot of basketball and it work great.

SithTracy's gear list:SithTracy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +20 more
Toedtoes Contributing Member • Posts: 606

I like the idea of the sling bags a lot, but as a leftie I find them to be awkward in use.

I really liked my beltpack (Lowepro Road Runner - no longer available) for when I just had a couple lenses.  I still use it if I have to keep my gear to a minimum.  But, I grew out of it very quickly.

Some things to consider:

Do you plan on getting any additional lenses?  a flash?  other equipment?

How will you be using the bag?  hiking?  vacations?  event shooting?  etc.

Are there any styles that won't work due to your particulars?  (e.g., due to an injury, I can't put a strap with weight on one shoulder so a backpack is no good for me.)

My best advice is to go into a store with all your gear and try out the bags.  It's the absolute best way to pick a bag - you can be sure that all your gear fits AND you can be sure it's comfortable for you BEFORE you buy it.  If you do go into the store and try them out - buy it from them (unless nothing works for you).  The added cost of the bag is supporting the brick & mortar business allowing you to try the bags out.

hdr Senior Member • Posts: 2,841

Freeman-Jo wrote:

hdr wrote:

That type of bag is basically what people call, "sling". It's basically look similar to a backpack, but usually have longer length(or same length) and slightly narrower. But it only have one strap instead of two like normal backpack. You wear it toward you back but diagonally, but you can switch to the front diagonally also. And when you switch(sling) to the front, the side opening will appear on top and make it easy to open and grab the camera. That's the purpose of sling bag.

Great. Just what I like. What brands can I browse then? Any suggestions?

Freeman-Jo Senior Member • Posts: 2,584

normally my first place to start the shopping research is cambags.com
This place let's you see how other photographers fitting their gears in the bags, that way you can get the idea of how your gears may or may not fit into the bag.  Some time you can see the other wearing the bag also.  Then I would go on place like amazon or B&H to see the review.  Alternatively you can go to your local camera store with you gear and see the build and how your gear fit.  But if you browse and test them locally, then buy from them so you can keep them in business.

Shopping online will get you into two problems, which cambags usually help a bit which are.
1. how does the bag fit you stuff, sure there is spec, but it's not very clear sometime.
2. how does the bag fit you. which mean you have to take a good look at the spec and compare to your height or the person in picture height.

I would say, treat your bag shopping like shopping for your shoe.  Shoes that fit me doesn't mean they will fit you.  And don't get so fixate on one bag to rule them all, most of us have more than one bag, but most likely 3 or more.  One small, one large and one medium I guess each with diff style that suite for certain occasion but not another.  A large bag may fit everything you want, but make taking them along a burden on your body and travel.  So a small bag that just fit one body and a few lens and a slightly bigger bag that can fit a body w/ grip and standard zoom attach and at least one 70-200mm probably are 2 bags as a starting choices.  Then maybe a third bag that can fit 2 bodies, those 2 lens and may a prime or two and maybe a notebook would be a 3rd bag.  That's how I have mine.

-- hide signature --

If picture worth a thousand words, how many megapixel is it?

Freeman-Jo's gear list:Freeman-Jo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III +8 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348

You'll never find one bag that will fit all your needs at all times and in all situations, any more than you will find one lens or one camera system that does.

I have 12 bags at the moment and still could not possibly cut that down to one. I'm a bit unusual in that I do not subscribe to the current fashion for backpacks, which I regard as thoroughly useless unless you are actually climbing or hiking. Since I do neither of those things, I own none.

For what you are carrying I would use my Think Tank Urban Disguise.

Enthusiast Photographer Regular Member • Posts: 117

I've got three bags.  Two Timbuk2 messenger-style bags that use their Snoop inserts (one is a dedicated medium duty camera bag, the other is a daily carry and PC+medium duty travel bag) as well as a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60 v2, which is the ultimate PC+heavy dury travel bag.

The Timbuk2 bags are pretty versatile and fairly easy to carry.  I recently got the Timbuk2, and think it is a much more serious bag.  I've heard pretty good things about the Crumpler messenger bags as well (the Million-Dollar Home series).

The good news is there are LOTS of good bag choices out there.

My bag reviews can be found here:

Various posts on Timbuk2: http://enthusiastphotographer.com/?s=Timbuk2

My first thoughts on the Urban Disguise (just wrote this today): http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2013/03/17/urban-disguise-quick-review/

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +3 more
123Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 4,643

Lowepro Fastpack 250 all the way !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyoNC3pOmA0

I'm a lefty too.  The Kata 3in1 bags as well as the Tamrac Evolution and LowePro Fastpacks can sling over either shoulder, I would think that it would work just as well for a lefty as a righty.  But growing up left-handed in a right-handed world has made me do a lot of things as a righty would.  My strength is by far on my left hand but I do a lot of things with my right such as use a mouse.  I have no choice but to use my camera as a righty would - that's the way it's made.  So, I use the sling bags as a righty would and it's never posed a problem, it's become natural for me.

-- hide signature --

Toedtoes Contributing Member • Posts: 606

I do a lot with my right hand also, including the mouse, but due to a shoulder injury, I can't trust my right hand to be able to hold on to the camera and lens, so the left-handed use is a must for me.

I did see that the Kata can be used as left handed (that cambags website is nice).  I didn't realize the Lowepros do also - the images all look like the shoulder strap is permanently attached - but maybe I'm not looking at the right models.  I'll take another look at them.  A sling bag would be nice as another option (my beltpack is just too small to fit the XT with grip).

Occams Razor Contributing Member • Posts: 910

For quick access, you will want a backpack or sling style bag with side access.  A few packs to consider are:

• Kata 3N1-30
  • Lowepro DSLR Video Pack 350 AW or Fastpack 350
  • Lowepro Slingshot 302
  • Tamrac Evolution 8 or 9
  • Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 85

I am also a big fan of the little known Vanguard Uprise 38 messenger bag.  You can fit a DSLR mounted with a 70-200 2.8 in this bag with quick access.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Occams Razor's gear list:Occams Razor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348

rkodama1 wrote:

For quick access, you will want a backpack or sling style bag with side access. A few packs to consider are:

• Kata 3N1-30
  • Lowepro DSLR Video Pack 350 AW or Fastpack 350
  • Lowepro Slingshot 302
  • Tamrac Evolution 8 or 9
  • Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 85

I am also a big fan of the little known Vanguard Uprise 38 messenger bag. You can fit a DSLR mounted with a 70-200 2.8 in this bag with quick access.

Backpacks may offer many things, but quick access to your gear is not one of them!

If it takes more than 15 seconds it takes too long.

Enthusiast Photographer Regular Member • Posts: 117

BTW - you have to order a custom bag, but Timbuk2 will make a lefty bag for you

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads