How good is the D800 ?

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions
OP clouseau2 Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: How good is the D800 ?

Shuttaperiso wrote:

It can see things your eyes can't. Get one.

-- hide signature --

“ Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." – Henri Cartier-Bresson

Im tempted and have bin for a while , and i will pull the trigger one of these days , i just need the right push

clouseau2's gear list:clouseau2's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +21 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 19,115

clouseau2 wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

I've shot film since the 1960's (35mm, medium format, and 4x5). My first serious digital camera was a D100, followed by a D2x, and then a D700. I now have a D800E. I shoot mostly landscape and macro. I have an Epson 7800 printer that prints on 24" (61cm) wide roll paper. I typically make 16x24" (40x61cm) or 20x30" (51x76cm), and sometimes 24x36" (61x91cm) prints.

The D800E is the best camera I have ever owned. Received it in May 2012. Didn't have the problems people are complaining about. Left AF was good, no green tint, etc. AF is slightly off at f/1.4 in tungsten light (2250K), but stopping down to f/2 or f/2.8 takes care of the problem.

Shooting with the D800E reminds me of shooting medium format with a Hasselblad or Pentax 645. The discipline is about the same. I usually use a tripod with Mirror Up, but when hand holding I like to triple (or at least double) the focal length to get the denominator of the shutter speed (1/1000 sec. for 300mm).

I love the resolution of the D800E. It works out to 240 ppi for a 20x30" print which is optimal for the 7800.

Big Sur

Pt. Lobos

Ocean Jasper

Picture Jasper

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Nice post !

I havent shot mf that much , but i miss the solitude , the silence and the patience .

Yes, that's the only way I like to shoot...being mostly a studio and macro guy.

Slow, disciplined, meticulous, well organized and above all very patient. I never (let me repeat that) never press the shutter without using a tripod, geared head, focus rail, etc.

Photography is a technical discipline...combined with an artistic (ie: compositional) element.

and not the other way around.

KEV

http://kvincentphotography.ca/still-life

-- hide signature --

"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness which created it" - Albert Einstein

That was a wrong response im afraid , Im tempted thats for sure .

But when thats said , im also a little worried of all the , call it what you will , bad publicity or whatever . Im usually not the one to worry about that stuff , but his has bin going on for a year now , so yes i need to hear the believers , the amased , instead of all the "whining" a lot of people have the plesure of the D800/E and i need to hear from them . I need to know what is like in real life.And a big thank you to those who allready gave me an honest opinion .

Mvh Clouseau

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +21 more
tomnorth
tomnorth Contributing Member • Posts: 752

The D800 is a fabulous camera. I shoot it handheld and have gotten great results. I find the AF to be quite fast, definitely faster than my D700. As long as I'm careful with my handholding technique and keep the shutter speeds reasonable, I have gotten great results. The dynamic range is outstanding. The high ISO performance is excellent as well...probably 1-1/2 stops better than my D700, which is no slouch in that area either. Obviously, the D800 does not have the fast frame rate of a D4 or even my D700, but for the type of shooting I do, it is perfectly fine. If I were a wildlife shooter, photographing birds in flight, I would look elsewhere. I have not had any of the left-AF point focus issues. I figure either I just got lucky or if there is an issue, it's so far down in the noise level that it makes no practical difference to me.

I hope this helps some. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about those you perceive to be whining. If the D800 suits you and you can swing for it, I'd go for it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
MaxTux Regular Member • Posts: 449
D800 vs D800E ?

In addition to the suggestions above, I'd also like to encourage you to do your own "800 vs. 800E" research.

MaxTux

Re: D800 vs D800E ?

MaxTux wrote:

In addition to the suggestions above, I'd also like to encourage you to do your own "800 vs. 800E" research.

MaxTux

Believe you me i have . I would like the E but where i live (denmark) 2 dealers have the "right" to sell the E which makes the 800 about 700 pounds or about 1000 dollars cheaper than the E . I Know i could buy one in germany or GB , where the diff is not quite as large . If i buy the E i would like to Buy at my favorite store where the price is 23750 kr which is about 2720 pounds . If i buy the 800 i basically get a free Sig 35/1,4.

Mvh Clouseau

Oh yes, I know (have friend in Denmark. Closed market like Albania, taxes like Australia :). There is the difference between the two (800/800E)  but it's certainly not dramatic. I was prompted to remark as I did because one often hears a simplistic view on moire: "D800 - no moire, D800e - plenty of it". Actually, it's a matter of degree: both might produce visible moire, D800 is just somewhat less likely to produce visible effect in borderline cases.

Another thing: I see above a number of D800 users suggesting their on-line production as a demonstration how good the machine it is. In my humble opinion, no screen will demonstrate the difference between D800 (E) and any modern 24x36 mm sensor camera - it takes a well-executed 40x60 cm print to do so...

MaxTux

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

The D800e is so good that you might want to install a seat beat...

Kinky! 

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

:-DRobin Casady wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

The D800e is so good that you might want to install a seat beat...

Kinky!

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

LOL

MaxTux wrote:

Oh yes, I know (have friend in Denmark. Closed market like Albania, taxes like Australia :). There is the difference between the two (800/800E) but it's certainly not dramatic. I was prompted to remark as I did because one often hears a simplistic view on moire: "D800 - no moire, D800e - plenty of it". Actually, it's a matter of degree: both might produce visible moire, D800 is just somewhat less likely to produce visible effect in borderline cases.

Another thing: I see above a number of D800 users suggesting their on-line production as a demonstration how good the machine it is. In my humble opinion, no screen will demonstrate the difference between D800 (E) and any modern 24x36 mm sensor camera - it takes a well-executed 40x60 cm print to do so...

MaxTux

Thanks man

clouseau2 wrote:

But when thats said , im also a little worried of all the , call it what you will , bad publicity or whatever . Im usually not the one to worry about that stuff , but his has bin going on for a year now , so yes i need to hear the believers , the amased , instead of all the "whining" a lot of people have the plesure of the D800/E and i need to hear from them . I need to know what is like in real life.And a big thank you to those who allready gave me an honest opinion .

Mvh Clouseau

Other than your usual chances of getting a lemon with any model, the main issue with the D800 has been the left AF alignment/calibration. If you had purchased early in the release you would have had a 70-80% chance of getting one without the problem.

I believe that the factory has sorted the AF problem out and new ones don't have it. So, your risk is down to getting an older copy that was returned by a customer or just hadn't moved through distribution yet. If you got one of those just return it to the dealer and demand a replacement. At this time I think the risk is rather low.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

MaxTux wrote:

That is true for resolution, but I posted photos to show the kind of things I shoot so the OP could make a judgement on my credibility.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Robin Casady wrote:

clouseau2 wrote:

But when thats said , im also a little worried of all the , call it what you will , bad publicity or whatever . Im usually not the one to worry about that stuff , but his has bin going on for a year now , so yes i need to hear the believers , the amased , instead of all the "whining" a lot of people have the plesure of the D800/E and i need to hear from them . I need to know what is like in real life.And a big thank you to those who allready gave me an honest opinion .

Mvh Clouseau

Other than your usual chances of getting a lemon with any model, the main issue with the D800 has been the left AF alignment/calibration. If you had purchased early in the release you would have had a 70-80% chance of getting one without the problem.

I believe that the factory has sorted the AF problem out and new ones don't have it. So, your risk is down to getting an older copy that was returned by a customer or just hadn't moved through distribution yet. If you got one of those just return it to the dealer and demand a replacement. At this time I think the risk is rather low.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Yeah thats what i gather too , its about time to pull the trigger on this one !!!!!!!!!!!!

What I said was purely a technical observation, strictly in the context of this (sub)thread. I find your images excellent and your credibility was never in question!

MaxTux

moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,205
It's as good as it gets

It's the best camera I've ever owned or shot, but I'm in the lucky majority who has not had any QC issues.

The thread below has my initial impressions (coming from a D700) ten months ago. Click on 'original size' and '+' on any images to see the images closer to full glory:

link -> D800 examples from a D700 user's perspective

Here's typically the kind of thing I use it for:

link -> Storm Front at the Lake

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,664

Or at least wear some Depends :^)

nitinm Forum Member • Posts: 81

For mainly landscapes, get the D800E and mount a Zeiss 21 and 100 on it, you will be very happy.

Here are a few samples...

Zeiss 21 or Zeiss 35 or Zeiss 100  For landscapes the 21 is an awesome lens, I ended up returning the 35.

Upgrading from a D2X and all AF lenses was an adjustment, but a good one. Slowing things down has made me pay more attention to the technique.

peterclark55 Senior Member • Posts: 2,379

T O Shooter wrote:

clouseau2 wrote:

I have a fairly okay lens collection and Pixel pixel peeping is not my favorit , what i like is the pop , the rush when you know its good .

Mvh Clouseau

The D800 is an exceptional camera. I have a problem with inconsistent focus on moving stuff, but I bought a D4 and fixed that. I'm sure Nikon can fix mine when I drop it in to them. You have that covered with a D3S.

I think for landscape, nature and anything else of a similar nature, you could not buy any better camera than the D800. The dynamic range is phenomenial, the image quality is as well. I can shoot stuff with a partial washed out sky in it and where any of the 12mp ones would be totally washed out, there's color and detail taken with the D800. Until there's some major update in DSLRs, like technology so ISOs no longer matter, I can't see replacing the D800. If the D800 sensor + D4 body becomes the D4X, then that would be an unbeatable, but expensive combination.

Don't believe the bs about needing a special skill set to use it - it's not a freakin' fighter jet. I gave it to my wife to shoot a birthday party, put the 24-70 2.8 on it, bumped the ISO to where she didn't need a flash, and got beautiful pictures under fluorescent lighting. About 99% in focus and good color.

+1, great box, even for bif, sold my beloved d700, Peter

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735

clouseau2 wrote:

I would like a D800 for the "not so speedy stuff " This will be mainly landscapes , models and so on .

For landscapes and studio photography, there isn't any competition.

On on sites the D800 is praised to the heavens and on DPR its all whinning and misery .

FPS, buffer, action, envy, competition ... who knows?

Somebody please give me and honest opinion Please !

The "not so speedy stuff" (X) best body ever.

Mvh Clouseau

-- hide signature --

Regards.

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,106

The D800 is excellent for wildlife and for birds in flight.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads