MX-1 DxOMark Test Up

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,767
MX-1 actually TOPS everything on DxOMark

On my Domestic eXpenditure Orderlist (DxO), MX-1 tops over RX-1, and D800. It beats them to dust, in fact!

In every household that must think carefully though every expenditure, I believe a camera like the MX-1 gets the largest number of DxO marks. Actually, it drops in score only, and only if someone else presents with an unexpected camera gift. But that's just a theoretical value, it never really happens

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Edgar Matias Regular Member • Posts: 242
Re: What really surprises me is that the Q

Raist3d wrote:

Edgar Matias wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Well FWIW, here's the 06 doing a portrait. I could have done even shallower DOF if I stepped back and zoomed in more but it was a very "on the moment shot."

Pretty good.

It's tightly framed, so I expect you'd lose a lot of the background blur if it were shot as more of an environmental portrait.

To be clear: the DOF could have been made much shorter, but yes, if you were doing an environment portrait- depending the place and how much of the environment you are going to set in then it would be an issue, though here's an example of an environment portrait I guess (or closer to that- also note it's F3.2 and not F2.8 which would give a tad more bokeh):

Here's another tighter portrait but more shallower DOF:

Thanks for posting the picks. Like I said, the 06 is the most interesting Q lens they've done so far.

Edgar Matias's gear list:Edgar Matias's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 +1 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 6,655
Re: Pentax's focus is Japan

marike6 wrote:

flektogon wrote:

While Pentax MX-1 is as good camera as for example Panasonic LX-7, or Olympus ZX-2, or Canon G-15, or …, there is nothing unique about it, why any, brand-wise unbiased potential customer would prefer it.

Retro styling, solid brass goodness.

The unique features of the MX-1 are the retro styling with top and bottom brass plates, fast max aperture lens at both wide and telephoto ends, and the tilt-able LCD.

The tilt LCD is a feature only the more expensive XZ-2 and somewhat larger P7700 have. With the G15, Canon removed the articulated LCD, a move that didn't make too many G series fans happy at all.

And it's all about that fantastic lens. Only the XZ-2 has a similar lens with good fastness at both ends (the LX7 lens only goes to 90mm, and the G15 lens is 140mm, but f2.8). Having owned the XZ-1, which has a similar lens (some say identical), it's one of the most outstanding lenses over in a compact, as sharp as any I've ever used.

I owned a black MX SLR for 20 years, with several beautiful "M" lenses, so this camera immediately got my attention. The only thing stopping me from getting one is need; I really don't need it per se but I would like to have one. My V1 with 10mm handles my compact camera needs for now but I applaud Pentax's retro effort.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 6,655
Re: Pentax's focus is Japan

flektogon wrote:

marike6 wrote:

And it's all about that fantastic lens. Only the XZ-2 has a similar lens with good fastness at both ends (the LX7 lens only goes to 90mm, and the G15 lens is 140mm, but f2.8). Having owned the XZ-1, which has a similar lens (some say identical), it's one of the most outstanding lenses over in a compact, as sharp as any I've ever used.

I remember (from somewhere at the Olympus discussion forum) that that lens, while is perfectly sharp is prone to flare. What’s your experience?

Btw. regarding the brass top/bottom of the Pentax MX-1. Are the owner supposed to sand off the paining to reveal it, or the Pentax service will do that (for a small fee)?

I had a black MX SLR for 20 years that hardly brassed at all, so you may have to get out the sandpaper!

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
ET2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,110
Q sensor

The Q sensor scores are nor correct. The Q is using RAW NR starting from base ISO. That's why the scores are wacky, but if you go to IR and actually compare images to Panasonic's 1/2.3 cameras, Q images are not better (they are actually worse).

To put in simple words: inflated scores achieved by using RAW NR from base ISO up.

petreluk Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
Re: MX-1 DxOMark Test Up, and? K-01, 40mm XS for 360 Dollar

rusticus wrote:

is certainly a good camera, but at present you can buy a K-01 with 40mm f2.8 XS for $ 360 -
So why should anyone buy an MX-1?

Each to their own of course but the MX-1 is a compact camera, simple as that. The K-01 is noticeably heavier and larger and it comes with a single focal length (a zoom would make it larger still). I have both cameras, FWIW, and in the MX-1 I wanted a simple, fairly light, not too expensive camera with everything "all in one" - no add-ons or lens changes needed. In the MX-1 I get that but with the trade-off in sensor size. When I want something more substantial then I'll get out the APS-C big guns and all the gear which tends to go with them but it won't be a casual walk any more. But for the daily round out and about, a cam like the MX-1 is just fine for me.

There's no shortage of other cams which will do just as well as the MX-1, of course, and perhaps better in some cases providing you're prepared to pay more - at which point compacts like this stop making a lot of sense, financially anyway, as you're in 1"-sensor or m43 territory. But since I know and like the Pentax controls and menus, and since its image quality seemed as good as any in its class (bar pixel-peeping crazies), the MX-1 was an easy buy for me.

Bear in mind that in a retail stores, cameras tend to be separated into genres. Someone looking for a compact camera might never go to the separate display area where larger, APS-C cameras are kept. So for a buyer walking into a store, the choice of MX-1 versus K-01 size might never present itself.

OP marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088

petreluk wrote:

rusticus wrote:

is certainly a good camera, but at present you can buy a K-01 with 40mm f2.8 XS for $ 360 -
So why should anyone buy an MX-1?

Each to their own of course but the MX-1 is a compact camera, simple as that. The K-01 is noticeably heavier and larger and it comes with a single focal length (a zoom would make it larger still). I have both cameras, FWIW, and in the MX-1 I wanted a simple, fairly light, not too expensive camera with everything "all in one" - no add-ons or lens changes needed. In the MX-1 I get that but with the trade-off in sensor size. When I want something more substantial then I'll get out the APS-C big guns and all the gear which tends to go with them but it won't be a casual walk any more. But for the daily round out and about, a cam like the MX-1 is just fine for me.

Totally agree.  I'm a Nikon DSLR shooter, and as much as I like the images from the K-01, the last thing I want to do is start with yet another lens system.  When these forum "sensor size experts" that we hear from every so often who start calculating and proposing that "well for $499 you can get an EPM2, which has a larger sensor than the MX-1" or "the K-01 is only $399", I have to wonder if they think I'm not aware of these other cameras.  I know there as small discounted ILCs.  But as a DSLR user, who also has a mirror-less camera, is it really practical to start with a third system camera with a third lens mount?  No.  I'm interested in a compact for it's size, it's fixed zoom lens and it's smaller sensor and deeper DOF.  IQ on all of these cameras these days is so outstanding, choosing a camera is really just a matter of picking one with the features, price, and look that you like.  I know all about high ISO performance, IQ differences, etc.

There's no shortage of other cams which will do just as well as the MX-1, of course, and perhaps better in some cases providing you're prepared to pay more - at which point compacts like this stop making a lot of sense, financially anyway, as you're in 1"-sensor or m43 territory. But since I know and like the Pentax controls and menus, and since its image quality seemed as good as any in its class (bar pixel-peeping crazies), the MX-1 was an easy buy for me.

I almost bought a silver MX-1 the other day, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the X20 and MX-1.  It's VF vs tilt-LCD.  They both have their advantages.  And one day, I like X20 sample images better and the next MX-1 sample images look better.  But, at some point, I may end up with two compacts.  

Bear in mind that in a retail stores, cameras tend to be separated into genres. Someone looking for a compact camera might never go to the separate display area where larger, APS-C cameras are kept. So for a buyer walking into a store, the choice of MX-1 versus K-01 size might never present itself.

Personally, I used to use the DA 40 2.8 Limited  (not the XS) on my K-30, and it's a great lens, wonderful IQ.  But 60mm is kind of a strange focal length for a normal lens.  It's a bit too long for my needs, as much as I like the lens.  The 28-112 on the MX-1, is an extremely versatile range, and the fact that the lens is so sharp and bright is a definite plus.

By the way, I've seen all of your MX-1 images on Flickr, and they are some of the best MX-1 pics available.  I like the HDR image, and even though I'm not a JPEG shooter, that seems extremely useful.  And the B&W images look fantastic.  All the best and happy shooting, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
petreluk Senior Member • Posts: 1,315

marike6 wrote:

[snip]

By the way, I've seen all of your MX-1 images on Flickr, and they are some of the best MX-1 pics available. I like the HDR image, and even though I'm not a JPEG shooter, that seems extremely useful. And the B&W images look fantastic. All the best and happy shooting, Markus

Wow! Thanks for kind words. Yes, happy shooting

flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,029
Re: MX-1 DxOMark Test Up

In Canada you can currently get the Nikon P7700 at $399, while MX-1 price is kept steady at $499. Isn't then more reasonable to go with Pentax. It even scored better than Pentax, though  I am taking it with a reservation.

EArenz
EArenz Contributing Member • Posts: 608

marike6 wrote:

rusticus wrote:

is certainly a good camera, but at present you can buy a K-01 with 40mm f2.8 XS for $ 360

Personally, I'd be happy to shoot with a K-01, but 60mm is not the best focal length for general photography. And since I don't have any Pentax glass, no matter how good the IQ is, a K-01 makes zero sense for me.

A single focal length camera like the X100 does make sense for me. A K-01, not so much. But I have thought about picking one up.

Don't quite get this.  For less the price of the fixed lens X100 you could own the K-01 with 40mm and then add the excellent DA 21mm and still have enough for a nice dinner with the wife, then she'd be happy too

Ed

EArenz's gear list:EArenz's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens +17 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 6,511
Re: MX-1 actually TOPS everything on DxOMark

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

On my Domestic eXpenditure Orderlist (DxO), MX-1 tops over RX-1, and D800. It beats them to dust, in fact!

In every household that must think carefully though every expenditure, I believe a camera like the MX-1 gets the largest number of DxO marks. Actually, it drops in score only, and only if someone else presents with an unexpected camera gift. But that's just a theoretical value, it never really happens

Lol!  "Domestic eXpenditure Orderlist": excellent!

That's why i got the Q with the 02 zoom at half the price of the MX-1! Now waiting for 06 zoom to drop in price a little...

The best thing with p&s cameras is that they don't cause LBA!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +8 more
OP marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088

miles green wrote:

That's exactly right.  It actually stresses me when I buy an MILC, and I read lens announcements and start calculating. It not that I need the focal length or lens, but it's a new lens.  And it's shiny.

A simple, high quality fixed lens enthusiast compact as a second (or third) camera solves the serious problem of LBA.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 6,511

marike6 wrote:

miles green wrote:

That's exactly right. It actually stresses me when I buy an MILC, and I read lens announcements and start calculating. It not that I need the focal length or lens, but it's a new lens. And it's shiny.

A simple, high quality fixed lens enthusiast compact as a second (or third) camera solves the serious problem of LBA.

Pfff, that's just another strand of the same virus: yours is called CBA! 

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads