Is the SX50 only good for photographing birds in trees?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
dzyg Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: Is the SX50 only good for photographing birds in trees?

lkk324 wrote:

ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats happening with the doggie action shots? Is it too dreary out or is the action blurring?

It has been too dreary out and I haven't had time. I am planning on getting out this weekend, supposed to be sunny and in the upper 20's both days so should be good for getting some action shots of the dogs...

saycheese wrote:

wacka2007 moaned:

Sorry but the whole premise is ridiculous. THIS forum obviously has a good few bird enthusiast on it , but thats NOT what you are suggesting . To ask if the camera can ONLY take birds and the moon is rather strange dont you think ?

Aw, lighten up maybe?

Go take a look on flickr Canon SX50 group as someone has already suggested. COUNT how many photos are birds are there , and then COUNT how many are NOT birds or the moon . Let us know your findings.

I have lots of indoor dog photos with the SX50...These are inside...by a bright window...no flash..with a black backdrop...

She turned 4 in Dec...

Patricia S. Jones Senior Member • Posts: 1,017
Your dog...

...is a good-natured and obliging model.  In the snow scene, I like the way the various whites are distinct.  Thanks for posting these.

-- hide signature --

Regards... Patsy Stored Memories: http://www.pbase.com/patsysj

Oops, that last one is with my S3IS....didn't mean to post that.....

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,101
Re: But the HX deficiencies don't put you off?

Beach Bum wrote:

Probably no RAW in the Sony, unfortunately. That's the only flaw I could find, but it's not really a flaw so much as a design and marketing decision.

For me, there are other flaws [and marketing decisions] with the Sony HX series:

• Painterly effect (just Google "hx200V painterly")
  • Lack of hot shoe
  • Lack of filter threads
  • Lack of remote control capability

I'm not saying th HX isn't capable of good photographs, just that it isn't necessarily that much better nor is it always better.  Use the image comparison tools on this and other sites and you'll see what I mean.

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
wacka2007 Regular Member • Posts: 352

please , dont you know this is a bird and moon appreciation forum . ?

lkk324
lkk324 Regular Member • Posts: 364

dzyg wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats happening with the doggie action shots? Is it too dreary out or is the action blurring?

It has been too dreary out and I haven't had time. I am planning on getting out this weekend, supposed to be sunny and in the upper 20's both days so should be good for getting some action shots of the dogs...

Cant wait to see them! Upper 20's eh? Thats a tad cold lol

lkk324's gear list:lkk324's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
lkk324

dougiefresh135 wrote:

Taken on 12/23/12 at The Mayflower Hotel in Washington, DC.

Taken inside the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC

Take at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC

I've never taken any bird photography with the SX50.....mostly indoor and night shots. I think the camera is capable of performing in almost any lighting situation.

There are more SX50 shots on my Flickr album

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdroute5/

Many thanks, Doug Duvall

Thanks Doug! Great pics! Nice to see some inside ones!!

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Alchymist Regular Member • Posts: 201

saycheese wrote:

It is starting to look that way, birds and the moon. What else can it do?

Whatsamatta for you, you don't like birds in trees?

How about a bird on a post?

Or a bird on a rail?

Or maybe a bird in the snow

Is there anything else you wanna know?

And in case you didn't think

That the SX50 could do it

Here is a picture of

Two birds eating suet!

I make no apologies for the doggerel.

Take care,

Al

Alchymist's gear list:Alchymist's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Kodak EasyShare CX7530 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot A530 +5 more
lkk324

Alchymist wrote:

saycheese wrote:

Whatsamatta for you, you don't like birds in trees?

How about a bird on a post?

Or a bird on a rail?

Or maybe a bird in the snow

Is there anything else you wanna know?

And in case you didn't think

That the SX50 could do it

Here is a picture of

Two birds eating suet!

I make no apologies for the doggerel.

Take care,

Al

I was totally lol'ing here!

Nice pics btw!!!

RoyAmatore
RoyAmatore Senior Member • Posts: 1,378

MurryG wrote:

Dog gone good shots!! Are you sure its not a BIRD dog? :0)

Murry

Ha ha!

RoyAmatore's gear list:RoyAmatore's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +5 more
RoyAmatore
Antibirdism

saycheese wrote:

Hello saycheese.  You are not the first person to gripe about the prevelance of bird photo's on this forum.  In fact, I have detected a virulent strain of antibirdism on the forum since I first starting posting here a few years ago.  I have tried to understand why anyone would object to a beautiful bird photo being posted on this forum, especially since viewing these avian posts is in no way compulsory.  But that being said, I would like to offer an explanation of why birds predominate in the SX30/40/50 posts.

The first reason is that these SX cameras are clearly designed for long telephoto shooting.  The lens seems to be its sharpest at full zoom and the incredible image stabilizaion makes possible with a $400 camera what was once only possible with a setup that costs many thousands of dollars more and is brutally heavy.  I have taken a lot of bird pics with my old Nikon F5 and Tokina 400mm lens, with a tripod, and was never able to acheive the results in terms of sharpness and filling the frame with the subject as I have been able to get with the SX40.

Thus, the ability to do bird photograqphy with these SX cameras represents a new and exciting development in nature photography. All of the other images that you long to see posted, such as landscapes and sports action shots, were all possible before the SX30 was introduced, and may be captured today far better by cameras like the Canon G series, for example, or an inexpensive DSLR.   Bird images, however, were not possible in the recent past with any compact camera, and really could only be accomplished well with an expensive and heavy DSLR or SLR outfit.

The second reason I think this forum in particular attracts bird photographers is the clarion example set by the great Kenn Threed.  One cannot view his bird photos with anything less that shock and awe that such art is possible with a cheap plastic compact camera--and without a tripod!  When I first saw Kenn's pics here I said to myself, "that's what I want to do."

I know not everyone is interest in my photography and some have no interest in bird photography at all, but I will never be embarrassed by posting a picture such as the one below on this forum.  In fact, I still can hardly believe that such a thing is possible.

-- hide signature --

Roy

Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +5 more
RoyAmatore
Re: Antibirdism

lkk324

RoyAmatore wrote:

Very nice! This is another reason I feel I am leaning towards the Canon. I have not yet really shot birds but who knows!!! I might love it and if I get a camera with less reach I might not be able to get the shot!

RoyAmatore

lkk324 wrote:

RoyAmatore wrote:

Very nice! This is another reason I feel I am leaning towards the Canon. I have not yet really shot birds but who knows!!! I might love it and if I get a camera with less reach I might not be able to get the shot!

Like birding, bird photography can be very rewarding spiritually.  There is something about being out there with the little fellas and watching them through the viewfinder that brings peace and perspective to the soul.  With the advent of the superzoom, anyone with a bird feeder can get into the game.

-- hide signature --

Roy

Phil_MI
Phil_MI Senior Member • Posts: 1,010

Yeah you would think the birdbrains would post their images in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum and leave this forum for discussion.

Mourning Dove

Phil_MI's gear list:Phil_MI's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
RoyAmatore

Phil_MI wrote:

Yeah you would think the birdbrains would post their images in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum and leave this forum for discussion.

Mourning Dove

That's a good point, but why limited it to bird pics?  Why not extend the logic to all pictures posted on the Powershot Talk forum?  I'm sure that for every picture posted on this forum, there is a corresponding other forum for that type of shot. We can leave this forum for discussion only--NO PICTURES.   Of course, I'm just kidding.  I would think that people who come to this forum interested in buying an SX50 would like to see what the camera can do in its intended genre--long zoom photography.  I saw an ad for the SX30 and came here to learn about it.  That's where I saw Kenn's SX30 pics and decided the camera was for me.   But I really do think you make a good point about the Nature and Wildlife Forum.  I'm going to try that.    --Roy

p.s Good mourning to you too, Phil.

RoyAmatore

Love the Jay and the Flicker!

MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,765

lkk324 wrote:

RoyAmatore wrote:

Lisa, just do it!    It will complement your dslr nicely.  I now carry my comparatively very small and lightweight SX50 (for the birds and other far-away subjects) along with my D5200.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
chillgreg
chillgreg Senior Member • Posts: 1,248

please , dont you know this is a bird and moon appreciation forum . ?

sigh... it seems DPR will always be a magnet for idio-moro-wan-dic-tro-sorry wackas (whackos) - that's the word I was after!

I own the Panny FZ200, and have really enjoyed the superb photos here from the SX50 (and some good humour)

So thanks

Greg

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II Apple iPhone 6 Plus Huawei P9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads