NX20 tested on DXOMark - Great Performance

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
Ralf Bauer Regular Member • Posts: 183
NX20 tested on DXOMark - Great Performance

What a surprise! .... very different score for NX20 sensor  (in comparison to NX200).

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Samsung-NX-20-A-great-performance-among-stiff-competition

Ralf Bauer's gear list:Ralf Bauer's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX500
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,148
Re: NX20 tested on DXOMark - Great Performance

Ralf Bauer wrote:

What a surprise! .... very different score for NX20 sensor (in comparison to NX200).

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Samsung-NX-20-A-great-performance-among-stiff-competition

It is better, but to put it in perspective there really isn't that much difference between them, about 1/3 stop (DR, ISO performance).  The main difference appears to be in the color space, and also, DxOMark says a difference in final score of 5 points represents about 1/3 stop[1].  To be honest, in normal shooting I didn't notice that there was a difference, but never put them side by side either.

So if anyone has an NX200 I wouldn't worry so much about performance that I would rush out to buy the newer one.  I am interested as to where the NX210 and 1000 fall now.  Are they more similar to the NX20 or 200.  Being the flagship, it would make sense for the NX20 to be a bit better, but also it makes sense to make them all the same for ease of manufacturing.

Also, I wonder if they were using the latest firmware for both cameras?

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208

1/3 of a stop is not a huge difference but, considering the sensor it's the same, that's not even a small difference. It's not that I don't trust DxOMark, but I'd love to see the two cameras tested again, by someone else, just to see if the results are confirmed.

p.s.: nx200 vs nx100 is almost as different as nx20 vs nx200. Seems really too much, imho.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
johnznyc Regular Member • Posts: 127

tecnoworld wrote:

1/3 of a stop is not a huge difference but, considering the sensor it's the same, that's not even a small difference. It's not that I don't trust DxOMark, but I'd love to see the two cameras tested again, by someone else, just to see if the results are confirmed.

p.s.: nx200 vs nx100 is almost as different as nx20 vs nx200. Seems really too much, imho.

IMHO, one picture is worth 1000 words and tests.  For example, the comparing NX20 and NEX-7 raws posted here, the NX20 high ISO raws look a bit better, yet on DxOMark the NEX-7 "tests" better.

tecnoworld

you are right, but then if you look at nx200 pictures compared to nx20 pictures, do you see any improvement in high iso noise? I don't! I can't judge on DR difference, just by looking at them.

While, I can clearly say that NX200 output is much better than NX100, but the difference recorder by DxO is almost the same as that among NX200 and NX20. That's odd, IMHO.

Raf007 Regular Member • Posts: 178

When I upgraded from NX10 to NX200 I noticed a visible improvement in ISO in range 800-1600 but according to DxOMark the difference in ISO between these models is only 47 pts, much smaller then between NX200 and NX20 (167 pts). A bit strange.

tecnoworld

that's exactly what I mean! I think there is something wrong with DxO testing of NX200. I'd like them to test a different sample of the same camera.

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,148

tecnoworld wrote:

that's exactly what I mean! I think there is something wrong with DxO testing of NX200. I'd like them to test a different sample of the same camera.

I wonder if it is firmware related too, like lens auto-corrections or something?

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more

viking79 wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

I wonder if it is firmware related too, like lens auto-corrections or something?

Eric

Or even the lenses themselves?  I would love to see, whenever possible, testing done with the same or similar lenses, so the sensor quality can be separated from the lens quality.

One other thing -- I purchased the NX20 because I wanted something small that produced high-quality images, but with flexibility.  With the 20-50mm compact zoom lens, I get that.  While not a true pocket camera like my Sony RX-100, with the 20-50mm compact zoom lens, or a pancake lens, the NX20 does easily fit in a jacket pocket or very small bag.  Thus, comparisons to a Nikon 3100 or 5200 are not fair.

I love the Sony RX1, but not at $2750!  However, I think by mid to late 2014, there will be many exciting full-frame cameras available that will be compact and relatively affordable.  Until then, the NX20 is fine for me.

Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

viking79 wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

Eric

could be firmware or a slight upgrade on other components. I meant Samsung might have used a different batch of hardware for the NX20. also a different algorithm for handling noise.

Draek
Draek Senior Member • Posts: 2,028

Copyright (c) 2008--2011?

Anyways, impressive stuff; identical performance to the famed Sony A57, only in a much smaller package. Kind of makes me regret getting into the Alpha system as my "big guys' camera" instead of following my wonderful EX1 and buying a Samsung NX, but I guess the price of the NX85/1.4 makes that a bit easier to swallow

Still, I pray I don't encounter one with a credit card in my pocket... results could be disastrous for my bank account balance.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390

They may also be "binning" sensors.  This is a common practice.  Thus, even though technically the sensors might be the same, even in the same run some sensors may be less noisy than others.

I had targeted getting an NEX-7 over the summer.  When I saw that I could get online an NX20 body for $399 and the 18-55 lens for $149, I could not resist!  A lot of camera for $648, especially given that I want mobility for this system!

timedrun Contributing Member • Posts: 683

viking79 wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

Eric

Maybe you could do some of the sleuthing you are famous for Eric?

I rate your testing ability highly.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8

nx 210 was out along with nx20, so it's strange to me that nx20 can have different IQ compared to it.

As I said, it is quite possible that Samsung bins sensors -- this is a common practice in the IC industry.  In addition, the sensor may be a slightly different version of the same design.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

tecnoworld wrote:

Do not forget that 1/3 stop difference is pretty much within the sample variation you are going to find within these products. An enormous amount of angst in DPR goes into analysing what I am sure are just normal sample variations in product manufacture and experimental measurement between identical products.

Mr.NoFlash Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
really encouraging [nt] Re: NX20 tested on DXOMark - Great Performance

Ralf Bauer wrote:

What a surprise! .... very different score for NX20 sensor (in comparison to NX200).

really encouraging [nt]

-- hide signature --

cheers
Mr.NoFlash

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300 Fujifilm X-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads