Canon 650D better than 600D under low light conditions?

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions
kyrcy Contributing Member • Posts: 510
Canon 650D better than 600D under low light conditions?

Does the Canon 650D perform better than the 600D under low light conditions? I know that it has a newer processor, but how much difference does this make in night time photos? Can ISO speed for example be pushed higher without introducing extra noise? Also, is image quality any better when using the same lens?

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
confyushis Senior Member • Posts: 1,070
no, they have essentially the same low-light performance (n/t)

n/t

confyushis's gear list:confyushis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +3 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 16,991
Re: Canon 650D better than 600D under low light conditions?

kyrcy wrote:

Does the Canon 650D perform better than the 600D under low light conditions? I know that it has a newer processor, but how much difference does this make in night time photos? Can ISO speed for example be pushed higher without introducing extra noise? Also, is image quality any better when using the same lens?

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, and I would expect the 650D to do the same if not a tiny bit better in low light conditions. Also the AF on the 650D is probably better in low light. But looking at the image comparometer tool in the dpreview tests, to my eyes the 600D actually looks a bit better in both JPG and RAW up to 6400 ISO.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

Midwest wrote:

kyrcy wrote:

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, and I would expect the 650D to do the same if not a tiny bit better in low light conditions. Also the AF on the 650D is probably better in low light. But looking at the image comparometer tool in the dpreview tests, to my eyes the 600D actually looks a bit better in both JPG and RAW up to 6400 ISO.

-- hide signature --

I agree with Midwest, the 650D is a big technological leap, because it added phase detect focus, to the main sensor without substantially hurting high ISO performance.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 16,991

TTMartin wrote:

Midwest wrote:

kyrcy wrote:

-- hide signature --

I agree with Midwest, the 650D is a big technological leap, because it added phase detect focus, to the main sensor without substantially hurting high ISO performance.

I thought that possibly the addition of phase detect to the sensor might have caused some slight other effect which made the images a touch noisier. But the difference in any case (if there is one) is very small indeed and the value of the PD on the sensor far outweighs it.

-- hide signature --

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,944
Easy answer

kyrcy wrote:

Does the Canon 650D perform better than the 600D under low light conditions?

Improved AF, faster Burst Rate (poor man's IS), HandHeld Night Scene mode, and Multi-Shot Noise Reduction all work to improve the low light capabilities of the 650D.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5
nathondetroit
nathondetroit Forum Member • Posts: 77

Consistency is one nice thing about Canon. Whether you grab a 7D, a bargain 550D, or a new G1X, its the same sensor. And a darn good one at that. They could do a little better in the high ISO department, but the 3 1/2 year old sensor still gives you image quality thats much higher than any of the mirror-less alternatives that everyone is jumping to. Buy ANY of these Canon dlsrs with confidence.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
ND

nathondetroit's gear list:nathondetroit's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads