For those who have FF DSLR AND m43 and love street photography

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions
Nowisall New Member • Posts: 11
Re: For those who have FF DSLR AND m43 and love street photography

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

I add the Olympus 12/2.0 before giving up on the OM-D - superb street lens!

I think this lens could help your FF longing a lot!

My wife has an OM-D, and it really have improved a lot with the new lenses: 12, 45 & 75!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com

I love the 12, but it's not inexpensive. Your photo is somewhat intimidating, Sir! In a completely awesome way, of course...

Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,053
Re: Fuji has slowish AF - bad for street photography

Micromegas777 wrote:

Watch this space, they have just released the new X100s with blazing fast AF and the XPro2 and XE2 are roadmapped for release later in the year with superfast AF as well. These cameras will also have the X100s electronic split prism feature that is quicker and more accurate than Sony's focus peaking for manual focus.

Fuji are on a roll and once these cameras are out, they will be compelling.

-- hide signature --

S100fs, S6500, S5, F300, D40, EX1, EPM1

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR Fujifilm FinePix S100fs +15 more
TORN Senior Member • Posts: 1,477
Discrete vs DSLR

You get a very different response from people - even from people wo know you - when using a discrete camera. This is what Leica users tell you for more than 40 years now and they are right. No DSLR can really give you the same thing.

While I love my full frame equipment for some aspects I do love my E-M5 for not getting the looks when I approach people. I am talking about a dialogue with the subject and not hidden snaps. The latter can still be best done with a smartphone...

Choose a camera that has a tilting screen if you regularly do this kind of photography. Sometimes it helps a lot not to cover your face with a bulky machine when approaching people.

TORN's gear list:TORN's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 5D
pcb_dpr Contributing Member • Posts: 835

Ultimately it's whatever floats your boat. If you pine for FF, go back to FF.

I have a hard time imagining what you're seeing in classic 5D files that is preferable to OMD files. Maybe you can elaborate. The only advantage I can see for a 5D is narrower depth of field using fast primes wide open, which is not usual street photography use. In every other aspect the OMD files should be better. The 5D sensor is ancient at this point.

A D600 will give you better files than an OMD. More dynamic range, much improved high ISO, etc, etc. It's in the top of the heap of sensors today. It doesn't give you the portability, live view shooting advantages and unobtrusiveness the OMD does.

You haven't told us anything about how you view/present your images, or the conditions you work in. If you're making huge prints, shooting in terribly bad lighting, or really like pixel-peeping, go back to FF and ignore the fact that m4/3 is a better tool for the type of photography you like to do. Get fewer keepers, but be happier with how those files look.

Your first question doesn't seem very pertinent. Your issue is choosing between a FF cam with "better files" vs a m4/3 cam with other important advantages. Relative values of bodies to lenses doesn't seem to be that important. As long as you can afford two good Nikon primes to go with a D600 it doesn't much matter what the body/lens value split is. It's hard to imagine you'd need to replace a D600 with its successor in 2-3 years due to IQ improvements, the sensor is already stupendous.

Your second question is pretty obvious. Smaller cameras are usually less objectionable than bigger cameras to subjects, especially up close.

flashdiet wrote:

I own a micro four thirds system that I've been using since Christmas. I have the omd, panasonic 14mm, Olympus 17mm, and olympus 75mm...But I miss my canon 5d...I am thinking of going with used Nikon D600 and keeping it simple with a 35mm and 85mm prime lens...when I look at the files from my old Canon 5d classic, I really miss the files.

The reason I moved to m43 was because I had a fear of getting up real close to people when street shooting. The OMD REALLY helped me overcome that fear

So my question is two-fold:

1. Is it a smart move to move from a kit where the majority of my money is in the lenses (I have $1400 in m43 lenses) to full frame, where the majority of my money is in the body(d600 is about $1600 to 1700 used)? I think I already know the answer to this.

2. Even if I am comfortable taking pics REAL close to people with the OMD, do you think I will get different/bad reactions from people when I use a DSLR? When I use the OMD, I get a positive reaction.

markymark101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,331
Sony rx1???

I'm happy with my OMD. I don't miss my old DSLR at all, but it was APS-C.

If FF is what you want, far be it from me to say nay, but like others have said, I think I would hang on to the OMD a bit as you may regret selling it.  Hey, I do understand gear envy, I get it all the time.  Mine is more related to lenses rather than the camera body.

For a FF camera that's small - if you can get by with a fixed lens - maybe the Sony RX1. My old Sony DSLR I used a Zeiss lens, and they are sweet.

While I'm typing this, I don't remember exactly the primes you said you were using. IMO, lenses are more important than the body, and if you haven't tried them, you might want to give the pany 25mm and the oly 45mm a go. Those lenses are as good as any lens I've used with a DSLR.

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,690

Your fear of getting up close is probably just your moral compass telling you it's wrong.

These days most street photography is little more than voyeurism, portraits without permission taken by stealth.

There are many exceptions, but the tend to prove the rule. The hardest one is kids, their innocence, enthusiasm and complete lack of self awareness makes them compelling subjects, but self aware, self concious adults deserve some privacy and respect. Especially these days when they are already captured 24/7 by CCTV and satellite.

-Najinsky

JeanPierre Martel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,011

flashdiet wrote:

2. Even if I am comfortable taking pics REAL close to people with the OMD, do you think I will get different/bad reactions from people when I use a DSLR? When I use the OMD, I get a positive reaction. People smile back, and some even pose for me.

Because of its small size and retro look, the OM-D will always look friendlier than any huge dark camera. If you hold it at waist level, with an M.Zuiko 17mm on manual mode set at 2 meters, this kit will be close to perfection for street photography.

Hereunder are examples with the M.Zuiko 12mm on an OM-D:

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +23 more
forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892
Nothing is better for street photography ...

... than Pentax K-01. Everybody starts smiling when you point that yellow soapdish at them

greg57 Contributing Member • Posts: 559

Thanks you for the laugh

Najinsky wrote:

Your fear of getting up close is probably just your moral compass telling you it's wrong.

-- hide signature --

Gregory Dziedzic
istanbulcandids.com

greg57's gear list:greg57's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Alumna Gorp Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

How about adding a small fixed lens rangefinder and use film.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,645
I'm hearing your dilemma

for I have both systems: MFT + D600 (+ Sony Rx100)

The Rx100 is with me all the time but the IQ lags behind the other 2 systems and DOF is hard to control

MFT is a bit better overall especially used with bright lenses; street shooting is fun and accommodating; I find the IQ lagging the D600 a bit, especially at high ISOs

The behemoth D600 is huge compared to the other 2 but the IQ, low ISO noise,  and DOF control are superior (besides longer battery life, fast AF, better use of flash, better grip ...)

For street shooting with the D600, I usually use the 50mm f1.8; if I want more variety then I mount the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8

I have to admit that shooting with the D600 would intimidate the subject more but after a while you 'll learn to work with your subjects and make them feel at ease

If i could deal with the D600 all day long I'd take it along with me since the IQ is not a compromise, low or bright light, and I love the ability to have shallow DOF

If not I'd use the MFT system

If I only have one system I'd be satisfied with MFT and learn to work around its shortcomings

In your case, it's a bit tougher, it's either or decision, and only you can make that decision for yourself

One thing you can do is to borrow/rent a D600 for a weekend and go out and shoot with it and see if it fits your shooting habit for the long haul

Cheers,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,638

flashdiet wrote:

I own a micro four thirds system that I've been using since Christmas. I have the omd, panasonic 14mm, Olympus 17mm, and olympus 75mm. I bought all of this new for $2200 through strategic rebate/deal hunting, all from authorized dealers. Took a lot of time but I saved $400 and I'm pretty proud of the deals I got. But I miss my canon 5d.

I am thinking of going with used Nikon D600 and keeping it simple with a 35mm and 85mm prime lens which would come out to about $2100. If I sell all my m43 gear, I think I could get around $2100 back, which is a loss of $100, but its okay since I used a $100 gift card in the original purchase anyways (so I guess I would break even when I sell my gear?).

Do you think this is a good idea? I need someone to convince me out of this. I keep buying new m43 gear, and I can't help but think that with the same amount of money, I could be buying full frame gear. Don't get me wrong, I love my m43 gear. Its just that, when I look at the files from my old Canon 5d classic, I really miss the files.

The reason I moved to m43 was because I had a fear of getting up real close to people when street shooting. The OMD REALLY helped me overcome that fear, because now I use the Panasonic 14mm to take pics of people literally 2 to 3 feet from them.

1. Is it a smart move to move from a kit where the majority of my money is in the lenses (I have $1400 in m43 lenses) to full frame, where the majority of my money is in the body(d600 is about $1600 to 1700 used)? I think I already know the answer to this.

2. Even if I am comfortable taking pics REAL close to people with the OMD, do you think I will get different/bad reactions from people when I use a DSLR? When I use the OMD, I get a positive reaction. People smile back, and some even pose for me.

Your advice will be much appreciated.

I don't think it is a good idea, but that is your decision.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,638
Re: Liked much this picture.

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

Old profession and good picture, liked much.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348

Wellington100 wrote:

flashdiet wrote:

I own a micro four thirds system that I've been using since Christmas. I have the omd, panasonic 14mm, Olympus 17mm, and olympus 75mm. I bought all of this new for $2200 through strategic rebate/deal hunting, all from authorized dealers. Took a lot of time but I saved $400 and I'm pretty proud of the deals I got. But I miss my canon 5d.

I am thinking of going with used Nikon D600 and keeping it simple with a 35mm and 85mm prime lens which would come out to about $2100. If I sell all my m43 gear, I think I could get around $2100 back, which is a loss of $100, but its okay since I used a $100 gift card in the original purchase anyways (so I guess I would break even when I sell my gear?).

Do you think this is a good idea? I need someone to convince me out of this. I keep buying new m43 gear, and I can't help but think that with the same amount of money, I could be buying full frame gear. Don't get me wrong, I love my m43 gear. Its just that, when I look at the files from my old Canon 5d classic, I really miss the files.

The reason I moved to m43 was because I had a fear of getting up real close to people when street shooting. The OMD REALLY helped me overcome that fear, because now I use the Panasonic 14mm to take pics of people literally 2 to 3 feet from them.

Why dont you consider switching to a Fuji XPro instead, you will get the best of both worlds that way, an unobtrusive camera and great DSLR like IQ

-- hide signature --

S100fs, S6500, S5, F300, D40, EX1, EPM1

As long as you don't want to process RAW in Aperture. It won't.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348

flashdiet wrote:

I have both Nikon FF and GH3 m/43.

Getting close to people is as much about you as it is your camera, although smaller less obtrusive ones will help with candids. Getting close requires engagement and is in my view about the hardest photography skill there is to master. Steve Simon writes at length about it in his excellent book 'The Passionate Photographer'.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages and for me neither is able to replace the other in every circumstance, so I keep both systems.

The attached was taken with a D3 and 70-200 but the subject was well aware and had been conversing with me for a while about goats (!) before I took the shot.

jim stirling
jim stirling Veteran Member • Posts: 7,356
Re: Shoot both! Or not...the final image has little to do with the camera

Dave Sanders wrote:

flashdiet wrote:

I own a micro four thirds system that I've been using since Christmas. I have the omd, panasonic 14mm, Olympus 17mm, and olympus 75mm.

Great camera and a nice set of lenses. I'd also suggest the 45/1.8 if you decide to stay

I bought all of this new for $2200 through strategic rebate/deal hunting, all from authorized dealers. Took a lot of time but I saved $400 and I'm pretty proud of the deals I got. But I miss my canon 5d.

I believe it was Mike Johnston from The Online Photographer who speculated about what would happen if a competent photographer was blindly given any camera and forced to use it for a year. He noted that that person would probably find some things they really liked about the camera, some things that they were indifferent to and a few things that drove them crazy that they would find workarounds for. And, in the end, when forced to give the camera back, they would find that they had developed an attachment to the camera, as all artists do for a tool that serves them faithfully and allows the expression of their vision. Perhaps this is what is happening with your 5D...and perhaps you should give the OM-D a year.

Great camera, but Nikon doesn't really have a decent, affordable 35. Go for the 28/1.8...great lens, great price. Add the 85/1.8...world class. You could even wait and pick up a D800 used, as it looks like it is yesterday's news with the d800e stealing much of its thunder. But add it to your OM-D, don't replace it with it.

I recently got the new Sigma 35mm F1.4 from here http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=34161, and it delivers excellent results on my D800 . I agree about the 85f1.8g an excellent performer for the price .The D800e has certainly not stolen the thunder of the D800 the D800 outsells the D800e in multiples . While the D800E does deliver a small resolution advanatge over the D800, there are few scenarios that using the D800 will have problems with resolution, the moire risk with the D800e for certain subjects is very real. Even though the 5D is an antique in digital terms 2005! it will still give you a certain look that some may like especially regarding shallow DOF.

Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +12 more
Dave Sanders Senior Member • Posts: 2,456
Re: Shoot both! Or not...the final image has little to do with the camera

jim stirling wrote:

Great camera, but Nikon doesn't really have a decent, affordable 35. Go for the 28/1.8...great lens, great price. Add the 85/1.8...world class. You could even wait and pick up a D800 used, as it looks like it is yesterday's news with the d800e stealing much of its thunder. But add it to your OM-D, don't replace it with it.

I recently got the new Sigma 35mm F1.4 from here http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=34161 , and it delivers excellent results on my D800 .

That's great to hear. Some of the early tests are very positive and this lens has really caught my attention. Nice to know that you're enjoying it.

I agree about the 85f1.8g an excellent performer for the price .The D800e has certainly not stolen the thunder of the D800 the D800 outsells the D800e in multiples . While the D800E does deliver a small resolution advanatge over the D800, there are few scenarios that using the D800 will have problems with resolution, the moire risk with the D800e for certain subjects is very real.

Dammit Jim, I'm a photographer not a...no, wait...dammit Jim, don't burst my bubble! My plan was to swoop in and pick up a D800 on the cheap from some sap who convinced himself that he needed that extra resolution from the D800e. Ha. No, I was speaking more to the fact that the D800, at least here in Vancouver, depreciates faster and can be had for a lot cheaper than the D800e, which appears to have captured the imagination of many and depreciates very little. Either are outstanding cameras and, if all goes well, I will have my dream m4/3 and Nikon kits by year's end. Here's hoping...

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

JeanPierre Martel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,011
Re: Liked much this picture.

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

Old profession and good picture, liked much.

Thanks.

If my memory serves, I was walking when I took this picture of this grinder. Yet, it's the perfect angle to see the dark scissors clearly over that pale background. Half a second later, it would have been too late. So luck is more responsible than me for the success of this picture; I just pushed the button...  

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +23 more
highwaycurve Junior Member • Posts: 31

I've dabbled in the full frame and I had an OMD m43 as well. In fact I got the OMD with the idea that I would be more open to taking street photography of not just the back ever everyone's head. In fact even before I sold the OMD I was tentative about taking pictures of people even though it was so small and stealth.

Then I started getting really interested at the Ricoh GR line of point and shoots. I think lots of people would say blasphemy regarding going from full frame digital all the way to a point and shoot but just having the Ricoh with me for a little over a month, it is the camera I rarely ever leave the house with.

With the big viewfinder on the OMD I found it hard to carry it anywhere near my waist and with any other lens other than the 14mm, the overall dimensions of the camera body/lens was weird. With the Ricoh it is just like a slightly elongated deck of cards or three or four iphones stacked on top of each other, could fit in my pocket if I really wanted to.

The best part about switching to the Ricoh is two-fold. One it's even more stealthy compared to any compact camera system because it just is a point and shoot. Two, the implementation of the snap focus on the Ricoh means I can shoot at the hip and gauge distance. I know this is possible with essentially any camera; however, I haven't encountered a camera yet where I can change focus distance from 1m to infinity with one hand without looking at the camera. In addition the tiny sensor on the Ricoh means tonnes of depth of field without compromising the aperture too much.

At the price I sold my 1st run OMD, I was able to pick up a new Ricoh GRD IV as well as a new Panasonic G3 (since I already have some m43 lenses).

xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 10,890

flashdiet wrote:

. . . . If I sell all my m43 gear . . . .

Do you think this is a good idea? I need someone to convince me out of this.

I bought a DMC-G1 and convinced myself that it was no better than my Foveon-equipped Sigma SD10 housebrick and sold it. After a very short while, I just had to buy a DMC-GH1K and a G1 kit lens ($500 total on eBay). The housebrick is now in disgrace and hangs by a thread, so to speak.

You might end up with your own Canon housebrick but, based on my own experience, it's entirely possible that M43 stuff will come creeping back . . .

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ted http://kronometric.org
SD10/70mm Macro/17-70mm zoom

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Sigma SD14 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads