Anybody tried the cheap alternative to FT-1 ...manual adapter to AF-S?

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Questions
ckar Regular Member • Posts: 162
Anybody tried the cheap alternative to FT-1 ...manual adapter to AF-S?

Has anybody tried the cheap alternatives to FT-1 which does not support anything manual but you can use Nikon AF-S and use manual everything?

ckar's gear list:ckar's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ChadD50 Regular Member • Posts: 235
Re: Anybody tried the cheap alternative to FT-1 ...manual adapter to AF-S?

I have used a dumb adapter on V1 for few months now. It works on any F mount lenses except the G lenses that have no focus ring. It does not matter whether the lens is AF-S or not, using dumb adapter you need to be able to manual focus, and you need manual focus ring on the lens.

Sanpete Contributing Member • Posts: 736

Chad, have you had any trouble focussing manually?  Which adapter are you using?

Sorry, I meant to say G lens has no aperture ring, not focus ring.

It is not easy. V1 does not provide any focus aid at all, only the sharpness on the monitor or EVF. But with patient, it can be done. I have the fotodiox one.

Thanks for the info, Chad. I've thought it might be difficult, but it's good to know it can be done.

l_uka
l_uka New Member • Posts: 14

I've used PentaxK to N1 dumb adapter and it works ok in M. No metering is a pain but few shots solve this problem. WB is fine. In terms of focusing, I was surprised how easy it is on EVF! I've used 28/2.8 as portrait lens and my kids are fast, believe me Probably, the wider the aperture the more time is needed to focus.

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,872

If you have several AF-S lenses then it would pay to get the FT-1 over a dumb adapter. I bought a dumb adapter for F mount and M-42 early on but when a used FT-1 was presented to me I snatched it up. Of course for M-42 there is no other alternative. For AF-S there are dumb adapters that allow stopping down manually but dumb adapters on the N1 system give you no automation what so ever and become tedious to use after the novelty wears off.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J1 +27 more
NathanCrisman Forum Member • Posts: 88

V1 - Fmount 50mm 1.8 G - fotodiox "dumb" adapter. F1.8 - incandecent lighting

Shot a couple weekends ago with the V1, fotodiox dumb Fmount adapter, and a 50mm F1.8 G type lens (the old super cheap FX fast 50). Working distance was about 2.5' DOF was shallow enough that I had a hard time keeping either eye in focus with a moving baby. I took at least 300 frames in order to have maybe 12 keepers with acceptable focus.  Granted, I have never been a manual focus fan and don't get much practice at all, so there is alot of user error involved.   IMO, I don't even take the 50 out of my bag unless it's a static subject and I really really want the shallow DOF and am willing to take my time to get it.

IMHO, the 50 F1.8 G is kind of soft all together, at least my copy is. Color/contrast aren't spectacular either SOC. But I do like it for B&W where there is more latitude to adjust, or rather less consequences.

Thanks, l_uka, good to know.

Nice baby shot, Nathan. A little soft, as you said, but nice catch.

Well, I don't have 500mm AF-S. That is why I use the dumb adapter for birding on old Sigma 135-500mm. V1 has the potential, but Nikon deliberately disable its potential to promote FT-1. If you have AF-S lens, that is a no brainer. However, for me, I already invested 9 F-D lenses, FT-1 is not a choice.

Few samples follows, for anyone interested.

Chad, I'm guessing the Sigma lens isn't very fast, as you're fighting high ISO and slow shutter speed in those shots. But you got good focus, and some nice results for the conditions. I particularly like the middle one.

OP ckar Regular Member • Posts: 162

ChadD50 wrote:

Sorry, I meant to say G lens has no aperture ring, not focus ring.

There are adapters that have an aperture ring as well

ckar's gear list:ckar's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +2 more
Bill Rees Regular Member • Posts: 192

ckar wrote:

Has anybody tried the cheap alternatives to FT-1 which does not support anything manual but you can use Nikon AF-S and use manual everything?

I just got a Canon FD to Nikon 1 Fotodiox adapter yesterday to use with some old, free lenses I acquired. The V1 is the worst when using with dumb adapters and I've used Olympus and NEX. NEX is the best because of the focus peaking. The V1 will not even allow you to zoom in to check focus! I can't figure that out since it works in manual mode with the FT-1.

IMO, get the FT-1 even if you are using manual focus lenses.

Bill Rees's gear list:Bill Rees's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Coolpix A Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus E-M5 II +8 more
camerosity Senior Member • Posts: 2,297

Paul Pasco wrote:

If you have several AF-S lenses then it would pay to get the FT-1 over a dumb adapter. I bought a dumb adapter for F mount and M-42 early on but when a used FT-1 was presented to me I snatched it up. Of course for M-42 there is no other alternative. For AF-S there are dumb adapters that allow stopping down manually but dumb adapters on the N1 system give you no automation what so ever and become tedious to use after the novelty wears off.

It is worth noting that the FT-1 will also work with AF-D lenses (not focusing, but controlling the aperture, as the FT-1 has an aperture follower lever). I think the FT-1 is well worth $200 considering it is built to the same standard as other Nikon accessories.

camerosity's gear list:camerosity's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads