The power of the powershot

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions
seri_art Senior Member • Posts: 2,767
very disappointing for the V1

That's very disappointing for the V1. That photo has its fine detail very much blurred away. Is that what others get from their Nikon V1?

peter42y wrote:

The first picture, 6.2 MB , was shot with the Nikon V1 .
 seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 8,529
Re: The power of the powershot

Hank3152 wrote:

Augustin Man wrote:

It seems you asked for a short answer and got a lot of comments

Really?....I didn't see where he asked any questions in his original post, nor in any of his responses.......but he later replied,.......

QUOTE ~ "I just posted these 2 pictures in order to know peoples opinions."

I'm sorry, I didn't want to antagonize you or any other forum member ! Probably I didn't grasp it right and the REASON of choice should be also stated: well, mine was the MB number...

All the best,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,653

peter42y wrote:

But its ok.

The wait is over.

Actually I have a Nikon V1 as you can check .

Check in this threat a picture of my camera and bag.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3110011?page=3

The second picture, _0318 , was shot with a Canon Powershot Elph 500 HS ( Ixus 310 HS ), a camera that I did recommend here often, a small jewel of a camera.

The Elph 500HS did render more details , as Hank3152 wrote.

He wrote:

" The pic on the right renders more detail overall and sharpness in the corners. ".

See ?

The Elph 500hs ( Ixus 310 HS ) is a small jewel.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_ELPH_500_HS_IXUS_310_HS/

More pictures shot by me with the elph

http://tinypic.com/3ia2kpqw

The only problem with the camera is that it has almost no buttons, just a touch screen that is not very sensitive .

What were the settings on each camera - shutter, aperture, ISO?  What lens was on the Nikon?

OP peter42y Senior Member • Posts: 2,201

Mark B. wrote:

peter42y wrote:

But its ok.

The wait is over.

The second picture, _0318 , was shot with a Canon Powershot Elph 500 HS ( Ixus 310 HS ), a camera that I did recommend here often, a small jewel of a camera.

He wrote:

" The pic on the right renders more detail overall and sharpness in the corners. ".

See ?

The only problem with the camera is that it has almost no buttons, just a touch screen that is not very sensitive .

What were the settings on each camera - shutter, aperture, ISO? What lens was on the Nikon?

The nikon lens was the 10-30 mm lens.

The settings ?

Not much different from auto.

In the canon I was using  P program, auto white balance, auto ISO .

Auto Shutter Speed In the Nikon the same ( maybe the WB  of the nikon was auto plus  Magenta +1 Red +1 , but I am not sure.

Basically the settings were auto.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon IXUS 310 HS Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS M
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,028
Try to match this V1 landscape image with a 1/2.3 sensor! (pic)

peter42y wrote:

Over and over again I have read that small sensor cameras cannot be compared with cameras with sensors several times larger.

I will show you 2 pictures.

They were not shot at the same time but they are pictures of the same place.

One is taken with 1/2.3 sensor.

the other taken with a sensor several times larger.

Look here

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7331342952/albums/the-power-of-powershot

I don't know where those images came from, (no EXIF), but both of those images you provided are poor, and nothing like I get with my Nikon V1, which is better than any of the tiny 1/2.3 sensor sensor cameras I have ever used.

Posts like yours are suspect, so I challenge you to match the IQ of this scene I shot myself with a Nikon V1 with one of your own, (with EXIF included), taken with a 1/2.3 sensor camera.

(Hint: Use the loupe feature on the edges of the image to check the impressive sharpness across the frame and the street sign in the center bottom!)

Good luck!

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
nkistrup
nkistrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,247

Hi Peter,

How experienced are you with the V1?

Reason that I'm asking: V1 is complex, which suggests that it is capable of better pictures than the Powershot, if used properly.  Argue that a better camera requires more skill.

Example: Give me the best DSLR on the market, and my G12 will take better pictures.  Why?  Because I never used any DSLR before.

But for all I know, you are new to the Elph.  Another possibility: The scene that you picked, is an Achilles Heel situation for the V1, where it does poorly.

Or maybe it was the lens that you used for the V1?  Was it a poor choice for the scene?  (ILC gurus! Help me out here: Can the lens choice affect the picture quality that much?)

Shocked by the results, and have a hard time accepting that the small-sensor Elph could produce better results than the V1.

Niels

P.S.: This post was NOT meant as an attack on your abilities; just trying to understand what happened.

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Sony a6300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +7 more
Sanpete Contributing Member • Posts: 736

Peter, I responded at the N1 forum, but may as well post my thoughts here too. I'm all for comparisons like this, but they have to be carefully done. I see several possible problems here.

First, one photo is shot in better light than the other. That can have several effects, including affecting the ISO chosen by the camera. Higher ISO tends degrade image quality. In general, even at the same ISO, shots in better light will be sharper and better.

Second, it matters what aperture and shutter speed are used. Lenses are sharper at some apertures than others, and a slow shutter speed may introduce some blur.

Third, most cameras do a great deal of in-camera processing of JPEGs, such as sharpening, noise reduction, etc. It matters a great deal what the settings for the in-camera processing are, and how aggressive the processing is.

Fourth, the shots should be made with the same field of view from the same spot, and then the one with more pixels downsized to the same size as the smaller for comparison.

Take care of those issues, and you'll have a more interesting comparison.

peter42y wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

peter42y wrote:

But its ok.

The wait is over.

He wrote:

See ?

What were the settings on each camera - shutter, aperture, ISO? What lens was on the Nikon?

The settings ?

In the canon I was using P program, auto white balance, auto ISO .

Auto Shutter Speed In the Nikon the same ( maybe the WB of the nikon was auto plus Magenta +1 Red +1 , but I am not sure.

My point is that if one had a higher ISO, the other a lower ISO and wider aperture it basically negates trying to do an equal comparison.  Without knowing this, I don't see how you can say it was completely valid.

Mark B. wrote:

peter42y wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

peter42y wrote:

But its ok.

The wait is over.

He wrote:

See ?

The settings ?

Auto Shutter Speed In the Nikon the same ( maybe the WB of the nikon was auto plus Magenta +1 Red +1 , but I am not sure.

My point is that if one had a higher ISO, the other a lower ISO and wider aperture it basically negates trying to do an equal comparison. Without knowing this, I don't see how you can say it was completely valid.

Nikon V1 :

Iso 200
F 3.5
1/125

Canon 500HS

canon
1/160
F 3.5
Iso 100

Same aperture.

Canon ISO was lower.

Anyway.., a camera is not a iso  contest toy

A camera  is suposed to take pictures. The camera is a whole package. If a picture does get the same exposure and a camera does perform that with ISO 100 and the other with ISO 200..., it does make no sense to claim comparison is not valid .

ISOS were not the same. So what ? As I wrote camera is not a toy designed to compare iso noise with other cameras.

( Besides some claim, somes brands , sensors,  inflate their ISOS.They claim a ISO is 800 when actually its 400).

Camera is a machine designed to take pictures. Not a toy to compare nominal isos.

If I can get the same picture with a lower ISO ( and even   faster shutter speed ),  that is great and it is an advantage of the  camera that does manage to get such result

What does count is the output .

seri_art Senior Member • Posts: 2,767

To my eyes, the image from the 500HS is about what I'd expect from it in good light, a good-quality image. But the image from the V1 is not at all what I'd expect from that camera at ISO 200. Details are smeared beyond recognition and the overall image is very poor. I'd certainly like to hear from other owners of the V1 with examples.

seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Re: Try to match this V1 landscape image with a 1/2.3 sensor! (pic)

jonikon wrote:

peter42y wrote:

Over and over again I have read that small sensor cameras cannot be compared with cameras with sensors several times larger.

Look here

I don't know where those images came from, (no EXIF), but both of those images you provided are poor, and nothing like I get with my Nikon V1, which is better than any of the tiny 1/2.3 sensor sensor cameras I have ever used.

Posts like yours are suspect, so I challenge you to match the IQ of this scene I shot myself with a Nikon V1 with one of your own, (with EXIF included), taken with a 1/2.3 sensor camera.

(Hint: Use the loupe feature on the edges of the image to check the impressive sharpness across the frame and the street sign in the center bottom!)

Good luck!

- Jon

You are saying I am not honest.

I will post e

JPEG file

Let me remind you jon that usually only dishonest people  doubt the honesty of others . In this threatr I posted the link to a picture of my V1  ( and bag ).  I have in the V1 board several shots taken with the V1.  But despite that , you say my posts are suspect.

Suspect why ? You claim I do not own the V1 ?

Just check the V1 board.

here is the original v1 picture .

jonikon wrote:

peter42y wrote:

Look here

Good luck!

- Jon

Usually only dishonest people doubt of the honesty of others.

I am not saying the poster is dishonest . What I am saying is that he has no reason to doubt my honesty.

I posted several V1 pictures in the N1 message board.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3370282?page=3

I posted in that board a picture of my camera and bag.

What does jonikon want more in order to proof I am honest ?

( A  document from the US embassy in Portugal ? ).

Anyway .

Since jonikon has so  many doubts about my honesty ,  I did also took a picture of my V1 and in the background his post.

Original Elph 500HS image

I just create an Album of some V1 pictures for Mr Jonikon.

The pictures were shot with the V1. Please note that picture dsc_0163 is a picture of the same garden shown in the _0162 picture Mr Jonikon had doubts about.

(He claimed pictures were suspicious. In the album is the 0162 picture, the picture before 163 . Same Garden.

Besides here is my camera and bag.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7331342952/albums/nikon-v1

peter42y wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

peter42y wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

peter42y wrote:

But its ok.

The wait is over.

He wrote:

See ?

The settings ?

My point is that if one had a higher ISO, the other a lower ISO and wider aperture it basically negates trying to do an equal comparison. Without knowing this, I don't see how you can say it was completely valid.

Nikon V1 :

Iso 200
F 3.5
1/125

Canon 500HS

canon
1/160
F 3.5
Iso 100

Same aperture.

Canon ISO was lower.

Anyway.., a camera is not a iso contest toy

A camera is suposed to take pictures. The camera is a whole package. If a picture does get the same exposure and a camera does perform that with ISO 100 and the other with ISO 200..., it does make no sense to claim comparison is not valid .

ISOS were not the same. So what ? As I wrote camera is not a toy designed to compare iso noise with other cameras.

If you want to do an equal comparison, with the same scene, then all other parameters should be the same.  Maybe ISO 200 on the Nikon is a terrible ISO for this camera.  I don't know, just playing devil's advocate.  All ISOs are not the same on all cameras, so keeping everything else equal is important.

I do find it curious that the Nikon actually chose a slower shutter speed with the same aperture and higher ISO.  It should have picked shutter speed one stop faster than the Canon, or the Canon should have been one stop  slower than the Nikon.

( Besides some claim, somes brands , sensors, inflate their ISOS.They claim a ISO is 800 when actually its 400).

Camera is a machine designed to take pictures. Not a toy to compare nominal isos.

If I can get the same picture with a lower ISO ( and even faster shutter speed ), that is great and it is an advantage of the camera that does manage to get such result

All I'm saying is that when you do a comparison, the correct way is to vary only one thing at a time - in this case the camera - and keep all other parameters equal.

I own neither camera and have little interest how this turns out, so I'll let it go at this point.

Mark

mfait Contributing Member • Posts: 676

peter42y wrote:

Look here

It's true.

Most P&S's can create very nice image in daylight, as you are comparing.

Try comparing images taken in lower light that require higher ISO's (try around ISO 800) and then tell me that the sensor size does not matter.

I have an SD1300IS (1/2.3 sensor) and an S100 (1/1.7 sensor) and did some test shots at ISO 800.  No comparison, the larger sensor S100 blows away the smaller sensor SD1300IS.  The delta would be even higher if compared to an even larger sensor camera (like a dSLR).

mfait's gear list:mfait's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 450D

Mark B. wrote:

peter42y wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

peter42y wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

peter42y wrote:

But its ok.

The wait is over.

He wrote:

See ?

The settings ?

Nikon V1 :

Iso 200
F 3.5
1/125

Canon 500HS

canon
1/160
F 3.5
Iso 100

Same aperture.

Canon ISO was lower.

Anyway.., a camera is not a iso contest toy

A camera is suposed to take pictures. The camera is a whole package. If a picture does get the same exposure and a camera does perform that with ISO 100 and the other with ISO 200..., it does make no sense to claim comparison is not valid .

If you want to do an equal comparison, with the same scene, then all other parameters should be the same. Maybe ISO 200 on the Nikon is a terrible ISO for this camera. I don't know, just playing devil's advocate. All ISOs are not the same on all cameras, so keeping everything else equal is important.

I do find it curious that the Nikon actually chose a slower shutter speed with the same aperture and higher ISO. It should have picked shutter speed one stop faster than the Canon, or the Canon should have been one stop slower than the Nikon.

( Besides some claim, somes brands , sensors, inflate their ISOS.They claim a ISO is 800 when actually its 400).

If I can get the same picture with a lower ISO ( and even faster shutter speed ), that is great and it is an advantage of the camera that does manage to get such result

All I'm saying is that when you do a comparison, the correct way is to vary only one thing at a time - in this case the camera - and keep all other parameters equal.

I own neither camera and have little interest how this turns out, so I'll let it go at this point.

Mark

Generally these arguments lead nowhere.

I guess I already did reply to you.

I know that when they compare cameras in review websites they compare iso 100 with iso 100 ( all other parameters equal) etc.

My reply to that is we are not comparing ISO toys ( Your ISO is better than my ISO).

This is not the issue.

I did compare camera output. Cameras where left to themselves. Output ( exposure) is not much different in both pictures. Being so my comparison is perfectly valuable.

What is the objective of a camera ? To compare isos with other cameras.., or to take pictures?

The objective, goal of a camera is to take pictures.

I shot a relatively similarly exposed scene.., and I did compare the results.

In that scene if I had choosen Nikon V1 ISO 100 . the scene would be very dark .

Would such comparison make sense ? No way.

I did compare 2 cameras in real live conditions.

One did choose ISO 100. The other ISO 200. So what ?

It might even happen ISO in the V1 is inflated ( I do not know).

What does interest me is " what picture can this machine take not in manual mode ".

This is what I tried to find out.

In that outdoor scene a ISO contest would not make sense anyway.

PS : It almost looks the results  did upset people. But thats the way it is. That`s what comparisons are for. To show people the REAL capabilities  of a camera in  REAL  conditions.

Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 8,529

Please don't be angry with me, because I think you're dead right, but not for the many professionals here (I don't mean you're not a professional, just that I AM NOT one!).

In the real world 90% or more people shoot in AUTO mode and some with basic photographic knowledge in P mode! However, many purchase even DSRL cameras and just use them like the simplest P&S camera... and the results are sometimes even worse than those using "toys". I personally know such people and of course they wouldn't admit the truth.

Here however there is plenty of dedicated photographers and they "feel" that your comparison is not "fair" (for them), because they consider obviously one has to get the most of a camera by learning and by experimenting...

That's my hobbyist opinion !

Happy shooting everyone,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,028

mfait wrote:

peter42y wrote:

Look here

It's true.

Most P&S's can create very nice image in daylight, as you are comparing.

Try comparing images taken in lower light that require higher ISO's (try around ISO 800) and then tell me that the sensor size does not matter.

I have an SD1300IS (1/2.3 sensor) and an S100 (1/1.7 sensor) and did some test shots at ISO 800. No comparison, the larger sensor S100 blows away the smaller sensor SD1300IS. The delta would be even higher if compared to an even larger sensor camera (like a dSLR).

I agree that a larger sensor is always better, but sometimes good is good enough. I find the 1" sensor of the Nikon V1 is very good up to 1100 ISO, and acceptable (without pixel peeping anyway), at 1600 ISO.

Nikon V1 JPEG, 1100 ISO,only camera NR

Nikon V1 800 ISO

Nikon V1 1600 ISO.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more

To jonikon

I am not saying the V1 is a bad camera.

The fact of the matter is that I got one and I do not regret it.

I am saying the little Canon is awesome.

But  Nikon V1  is very nice.., color is generally good .., and I like it ).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads