New Ride

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions
OntarioJohn
OntarioJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,959
New Ride

I could not get one of those nice Cuban trucks into Canada.  But we got home and the older Mini became a newer Mini with an extra foot.  And sunroofs.  I want to drive to Florida, but alas, I'm going to San Diago for a week in March and Europe for 3 in May, after just coming from Cuba.  So...here she is.

I was, numerous times, in charge of fires like this.  Even before I became a city firefighter I had the district north of Superior, about 4 million acres and 3 small fire departments of which I was the head gazoo.  Some of the fire equipment I saw so very very old, and other stuff was much newer.  I see huge changes in Cuba, in the last 4 years cell phones are everywhere.  Just don't try to use American Express.  LOL.

So the above is an old ride, I drove fire apparatus, and eventually became the head of Driver Training, amongst other stuff like talking to the political hands.  No fun at all.  Once it was no fun I took the pension, and retired at 53.  Because I could.

-- hide signature --

John D. Conley nemo me impune lacessit

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,453
Re: New Ride

Take a trip to Australia, they put out brush fires with a rag on a stick.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
OntarioJohn
OP OntarioJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,959

I like clearing fire breaks with get cord.  One machine spools 10 cords about 2 feet apart each.  After a 1/4 mile tie it up, kaboom.

It's easier to manage a few water bombers and a chopper for spot fires, then hoses and men/women at the end to finish it up.

But in the spring when the forests sprout new growth the moisture content of the needles drops on the tree, and it's susceptible to those huge crown fires if there is a dry wind.  Nothing will stop that on a bad day, except a change in weather.  Rain is the best fire fighter in the bush, but some years there is a bit of drought.

Summer time sees the fire risk drop.  I've arrived in a chopper with the supervisor and the women who were part of the Caramat fire brigade were working with an old pump on the railway right of way.  80 degrees, the women in shorts, shirts ties around their waists, black from soot, bras dripping wet.  The government crew arrived in a chopper with a brand new pump, perfect orange jump suits, and they could not get the pump to start.  One of the women, who just rolled a smoke, lights it and says, "Sonny you do it like this, flips a switch, primes it, pulls hard once and off it goes.  He was a stick man, and she was like a huge muscled sack of potatoes in comparison.  Hilarious.

I had a lot of good times up there, but after the age and illnesses have messed me up, I know fuill well it's no country for sick old men.  It would eat me up just getting to 2 doctors appts. a week.  As in drive 8 hours to go and 8 hours back.  Nice.  Not up the road a few blocks...

Oh well.  It never ceased to amaze me why some people don't let more burn.  Often you expend a whole lot of effort when it will burn out, or you could just back fire it.

However the MINI Clubman, with the 3.5 doors is cute, and I want to go to Montreal or someplace.  But in NY I take a cab.  I'm not that crazy...!!!

-- hide signature --

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
CallMeAlan Contributing Member • Posts: 635

And this is my new ride - a Smart. Do you have those over the water?

800cc turbo diesel, 3 cylinders.  I get 70mpg.  Two pedals, you can drive it either in automatic or sequential - click the lever and it changes gear.  Loaded with all the tech, built-in satnav, climate control, electronic stability, all the good stuff.

Almost the best fun you can have wearing clothes!

CallMeAlan's gear list:CallMeAlan's gear list
Sony RX100 Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro +1 more
OntarioJohn

Yes we have them.  They hang in the butcher shop.  

Might be ok for downtown Toronto, but it's not practical for most of the country.  An 8 hour trip ending on gravel roads might not make this the best ride.

I have a better one that than, it's an old GMC pickup full of old cigar butts, dog treats, and fishing gear.  It's mine.

The wife's car is the Mini but I borrow it.  This one is 3 days old with 7kms on it when we got it.  I have NOT yet driven it, but my son and wife have.

-- hide signature --

Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,970

Nice new ride John. Bet it gets great gas milage and is fun to drive. Standard transmission I would hope?

-- hide signature --

Karl Scharf >>> ( Sony SLT-A77, Rokinon 8mm, Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6, Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3, Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS, Minolta 70-210 f4.0, Minolta 50 f1.7, Kenko 1.4x DGX ) <<<

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +8 more
OntarioJohn

Well hybrid. It has a 'flipper' on the steering wheel, which is kind of crazy, the wheel has to turn too much for you to shift on a corner, a race car is ok, the wheel doesn't go more than a few inches.

And my wife says we can have a car with a clutch when she has 3 legs.  I don't hold out hope.

That's her car though.  She bought the first one when I was in the hospital and maybe not coming home.

I since have escaped the clutches of the Cancer folk, and now I have a beat up old pick up truck.  And a nice dog to put in it.

-- hide signature --

I live the attic of the USA. shhh BOO

Canadian Club
Canadian Club Forum Pro • Posts: 41,938

Interesting to say the least.  You sure have done a lot, work wise and also travel wise.

CC

OntarioJohn

Hey CC, yes, and off to San Diago, my best friend and his wife are there.  Going 3 March for a week, got flights on SW out of Detroit for 235.00 return.  Pretty low price.

Europe in May, if I can still stumble.  

-- hide signature --

CallMeAlan Contributing Member • Posts: 635

OntarioJohn wrote:

Yes we have them. They hang in the butcher shop.

Really?  Oh well, what you chaps choose to slice up and eat rare with a salad is your own business I suppose.  Here in the UK horse seems to be the (inadvertent) flavour of the day.  Pity those buying frozen pre-prepared food.

Might be ok for downtown Toronto, but it's not practical for most of the country. An 8 hour trip ending on gravel roads might not make this the best ride.

We tend not to have much in the way of gravel roads here.  Though the extensive potholes caused by all the recent rain and frost, which they seem to be unable to afford to repair thus far, are very unkind on my tiny motor vehicle.  I probably look like I'm DUI as I swerve all over the road trying to avoid them.

CallMeAlan's gear list:CallMeAlan's gear list
Sony RX100 Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro +1 more
Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,892

Nice British car there! 

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads