Just to show a famous cliff on a beach here in Portugal. You can post yours here too.

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,738
Just to show a famous cliff on a beach here in Portugal. You can post yours here too.

I though some may like this, so here it is to enjoy, not much for comment the pictures quality but really to "know" the place. I also enjoy to see locations from around the world here on the forum, if you have something nice to show feel free to post here on the thread.

• Description:

One of the most interesting beaches in Portugal, an unspoiled beach, hidden on the middle of the cliffs nearby Cabo da Roca.
Praia da Ursa is the Europe's Westernmost Beach, where Ursa means Bear.
The beach is small, without lifeguard and could be risky to swim without knowing the place.

You will have a 15-30 minutes walking down through the cliffs, and returning back a bit more.
Nudism is allowed there, so be warned for that as well, probably you will find some nudists around.
Don't stay close to the cliffs when laying on the beach, as can be unsafe due rocks falling down.

The beach is gorgeous.

• Here are some pictures.
-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Fujifilm X-H1 +6 more
reygon Senior Member • Posts: 2,037
Re: Just to show a famous cliff on a beach here in Portugal. You can post yours here too.

very nice series Aleo.  I like the last one (without the nudist :))

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Aleo Veuliah
OP MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,738
Re: Just to show a famous cliff on a beach here in Portugal. You can post yours here too.

reygon wrote:

very nice series Aleo. I like the last one (without the nudist :))

Thanks Reygon.

Ahah, at the time I have taken those, the beach was desert, only during June July and August it has more people, but not much because it is not really easy to reach it.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Fujifilm X-H1 +6 more
Photo Grapher
Photo Grapher Regular Member • Posts: 353

You know, I just love this beach, thank you for remember it Aleo, the energy down there is splendid.

Wish I have the 7-14mm like you.

I will add that there is a freshwater source on the middle of the beach near the rocks, that comes from the Mountain of Sintra and it is good to drink. Nice feature to have on such a desert beach.

Ilda Sofia

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
JeanPierre Martel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,076

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Obviously, these two pictures were taken from the same point of view and with the same lens. From the shadows, it seems to be taken at different moments of the day. Could that be the reason why the sea is greener on the top one ?

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +23 more
Aleo Veuliah

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Obviously, these two pictures were taken from the same point of view and with the same lens. From the shadows, it seems to be taken at different moments of the day. Could that be the reason why the sea is greener on the top one ?

Yes, same point of view, different days, and different cameras, I tried to mimic the second to the first one, I really liked the composition. It is interesting to see how an image can change taken with different light conditions. (And sea conditions)

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022

Different day and different camera !

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony a7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R II +5 more
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022

Thanks for sharing !  I liked the video and the third picture best !

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony a7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R II +5 more
movielvr Contributing Member • Posts: 778

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

I though some may like this, so here it is to enjoy, not much for comment the pictures quality but really to "know" the place. I also enjoy to see locations from around the world here on the forum, if you have something nice to show feel free to post here on the thread.

• Description:

One of the most interesting beaches in Portugal, an unspoiled beach, hidden on the middle of the cliffs nearby Cabo da Roca.
Praia da Ursa is the Europe's Westernmost Beach, where Ursa means Bear.
The beach is small, without lifeguard and could be risky to swim without knowing the place.

You will have a 15-30 minutes walking down through the cliffs, and returning back a bit more.
Nudism is allowed there, so be warned for that as well, probably you will find some nudists around.
Don't stay close to the cliffs when laying on the beach, as can be unsafe due rocks falling down.

The beach is gorgeous.

• Here are some pictures.
 movielvr's gear list:movielvr's gear list
Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical
Aleo Veuliah

rrr_hhh wrote:

Thanks for sharing ! I liked the video and the third picture best !

Glad you liked, thank you for reply.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah
Re: Coincided with the purchase of the G2.

rrr_hhh wrote:

Different day and different camera !

Yes

It has coincided with the purchase of G2, and it was very near to the first picture (G1) that was taken on August 5 2010, then I received the G2 and wanted to test it. The second picture was taken on August 20 2010. Well the season was the same but the light conditions no. Neither the sea had the same tones. Hard to say which is the best picture. Anyway the sensor is the same and I only bought the G2 to have video and touch screen, But the G2 is a tiny bit better with NR and colors, due to the new engine.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

misolo Contributing Member • Posts: 945

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

In the coast around Lisbon you see a wide range of colors for the water, from a very dark blue that's almost black, to a very light green that often comes with a yellowish tint. I believe it has to do with cloud cover but also with tides, whether it has rained recently which washes out eroded soil, and whether storms or strong waves have lifted fine sand from the coastal sea floor.

misolo's gear list:misolo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +13 more
Aleo Veuliah

misolo wrote:

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

In the coast around Lisbon you see a wide range of colors for the water, from a very dark blue that's almost black, to a very light green that often comes with a yellowish tint. I believe it has to do with cloud cover but also with tides, whether it has rained recently which washes out eroded soil, and whether storms or strong waves have lifted fine sand from the coastal sea floor.

True, and thank you for posting this information.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

BrentR Senior Member • Posts: 1,397

Aleo,

A very nice series! I enjoyed them.

I particularly appreciate the composition which, especially in the last two, delivers a sense of the third dimension.

Regards,

Brent

BrentR's gear list:BrentR's gear list
Nikon D850
efg40
efg40 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,193

So very gorgeous!

Thanks for the little video escape.  Nice moment of feeling I was alone on a beach in Portugal.

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40's gear list:efg40's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Aleo Veuliah

BrentR wrote:

Aleo,

A very nice series! I enjoyed them.

I particularly appreciate the composition which, especially in the last two, delivers a sense of the third dimension.

Regards,

Brent

Thank you Brent,

Yes those last images give a sense of 3D. Maybe it is the composition on that spot half the way to the beach, I think the lens is almost centered with the horizon line, maybe that makes the difference.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah

efg40 wrote:

So very gorgeous!

Thanks for the little video escape. Nice moment of feeling I was alone on a beach in Portugal.

I am glad you liked. In fact when I made the video I was almost alone, only me and a friend on the beach.

Thank you for the reply.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,713

Nice series of which I like the second and last two best.  Is this someplace close to you that you can visit often?

Andrew

Aleo Veuliah
Re: Some different pictures here.

19andrew47 wrote:

Nice series of which I like the second and last two best. Is this someplace close to you that you can visit often?

Andrew

Thank you for the reply. Yes it is close to me, there are many good places near me (about 15-30 Km), that are good to take pictures. And different scenes, beach, dunes, mountain, river, small lakes.

Here some taken on the Mountain of Sintra. This place is only about 12 Km from the other beach pictures on the first post.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Silverback46
Silverback46 Senior Member • Posts: 1,316

What a fantastic place to shoot Aleo. Pure scenery. I hadn't seen the last two shots before but I agree with your enjoyment of them. They are great shots of a beautiful landscape.

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads