Continuous AF on X-E1: A "no-go"?

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Questions
PascallacsaP
PascallacsaP Contributing Member • Posts: 526
Continuous AF on X-E1: A "no-go"?

I hear bad stories about the X-E1's continuous AF performance. Is it a complete no-go or does it work to a certain extent?

I guess continuous AF is difficult with contrast detection AF. So would introducing phase detection (like in te X100s) change the story then?

Last question: Is continuous AF possible with a selected AF point or does it only focus on the center point?

Thanks!

PascallacsaP's gear list:PascallacsaP's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2
ANSWER:
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marla2008
Marla2008 Senior Member • Posts: 2,420
Re: Continuous AF on X-E1: A "no-go"?

Works with center point only, and I wouldn't put too much hope in actually following anything !

-- hide signature --

If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up.

57even Forum Pro • Posts: 15,269
It works great, but....

TakePictures wrote:

I hear bad stories about the X-E1's continuous AF performance. Is it a complete no-go or does it work to a certain extent?

I guess continuous AF is difficult with contrast detection AF. So would introducing phase detection (like in te X100s) change the story then?

Last question: Is continuous AF possible with a selected AF point or does it only focus on the center point?

Thanks!

...not in the same way a DSLR does.

Use it to snap a single shot of something moving by not pre-focusing (just hit the button and hold) and it works quite well.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
wandiba Junior Member • Posts: 29

Marla2008 wrote:

Works with center point only, and I wouldn't put too much hope in actually following anything !

Hey Marla I remember you way back in Nikon forum...Good to have you here on Fuji forum.

nixda Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515

wandiba wrote:

Marla2008 wrote:

Hey Marla I remember you way back in Nikon forum...Good to have you here on Fuji forum.

You signed up, what a little over a month ago? Yet you remember people way back in the Nikon forum? A very long-time lurker perhaps, who finally decided to post in the Fuji forum, or perhaps you've posted before in the Nikon forum? But under what name? Shocking!

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 16,154
Re: It works great, but....

Actually it's even better : the french magazine performs always the same thing and test , a car at 50km/h arriving in the direction of the camera

They got 12 sharp shots down to 10m

This si even better than (in same issue) the Sony Alpha 99

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 15,269

baobob wrote:

Actually it's even better : the french magazine performs always the same thing and test , a car at 50km/h arriving in the direction of the camera

Not managed to duplicate that, but I certainly have no problems getting one or two.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
nixda Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515

baobob wrote:

I think this is a fantastic test that should be done more often. Someone recently posted an image of a bus here, taken with the bus going >40 MPH, and it was spot on. I have a few pictures of my one-year old (who also seems to be moving at >40 MPH occasionally...), and it's a bit of a hit or miss, but that probably has more to do with other objects, far and near, being in the focus box at the same time.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Cygnus XE1
Cygnus XE1 New Member • Posts: 6

baobob wrote:

I may have missed it, but has this been published online?  I'd love to see it.  Thanks.

standor New Member • Posts: 14

X-E1 with 18-55 zoom focus surprisingly good, much better than the sentiment I experienced from internet forums. Probably because most contributions in forums was from experience with older firmware and NOT with 18-55 lens. With last firmware AF works really well. As many others I use also C AF as multiple full shutter button presses ( in contrast to press & hold ). It seems that 18-55 lens focuses best of all available lenses, but I have not experience with other lenses.

I measured the focus field in C(ontinuous) mode: it is quite wide 1/3 of image width is able to keep focus if moved sidewise. The focus field in C mode seems not possible to move. I'm very impressed how sensible is  focus in C mode in low light, certainly better than in S(ingle) AF mode.

I substantially improved hit rate by some experience found myself and from forums. (e.g. in low light avoid blocking AF led light by finger, lens hood, much zoomed lens, ... ).

see also: http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php?/topic/7683-x-e1-focussing-trick/

standor's gear list:standor's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
PascallacsaP
OP PascallacsaP Contributing Member • Posts: 526
Thanks all!

Good to read that the X-E1's focusing capabilities aren't all that bad...

baobob

I'll make a scan just of the results and give ref of the issue

They always do that

I was surprised ad they were of the very good results

So sometimes pure theoretic grouynds are not sufficient and a bit of experiment is a great complement!

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
baobob

I'll post  a small scan just of the chart and give ref of the paper (no online     )

-- hide signature --

baobob
Re: Thanks all!

Below is the test done by Le Chasseur d'Images issue 12/12 01/13 n° 349

They use a vehicle driving at 50 km/h going straight on the photographer

Then they just using AFC continuously record shots

In blue sharp ones

A very good score that compares in this test to entry level DSLRs

X E1

and now Alpha 99 same test same issue of the magazine

Alpha 99

As you can notice the XE1 does better since it carches the vehicle closer

This is copyrighted material I provided to the thread for your personal info

Please make sure not to disseminate it.Thx

Cheers

Robert

-- hide signature --

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Tom Zimmer
Tom Zimmer Contributing Member • Posts: 627

baobob wrote:

Below is the test done by Le Chasseur d'Images issue 12/12 01/13 n° 349

They use a vehicle driving at 50 km/h going straight on the photographer

Then they just using AFC continuously record shots

In blue sharp ones

A very good score that compares in this test to entry level DSLRs

X E1

and now Alpha 99 same test same issue of the magazine

Alpha 99

As you can notice the XE1 does better since it carches the vehicle closer

This is copyrighted material I provided to the thread for your personal info

Please make sure not to disseminate it.Thx

Cheers

Robert

baobob, One point to note here, is that the A99 has a very restricted limit on how many shots you can take in continuous mode.  My A77 was limited to about 13 shots, and i believe the A99 has a similar limit. Since there are 15 shots in the above sequence, they could be encountering that memory limit.

Just my thoughts,

-- hide signature --

Tom Zimmer
http://tomzimmer.wordpress.com
Sony A77, A55
And my old friends - Sigma DP2, SD10, SD14

baobob

I don't know at all the Sony Alphas

The purpose of the contribution was just to present a test (serious) that shows that AFC onthe XE1 is far from ridiculous

I guess you are right about the Alpha 99 it's a bit of a pity given the class and price of the cam.

-- hide signature --

Cygnus XE1
Cygnus XE1 New Member • Posts: 6
Baobob

Baobob thanks for following up.  That's very interesting indeed!

PascallacsaP
OP PascallacsaP Contributing Member • Posts: 526
Re: Baobob

Indeed! Only picked this up today. Thanks!

baobob
Re: Baobob

Thx to all for comments

I must say that I was very surprised to start with when I red the review

Then I realized than it opens new opportunities for our "loved cams"...

Cheers

Bob

-- hide signature --

liquid stereo
liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,286
Almost complete joke

TakePictures wrote:

I hear bad stories about the X-E1's continuous AF performance. Is it a complete no-go or does it work to a certain extent?

I guess continuous AF is difficult with contrast detection AF. So would introducing phase detection (like in te X100s) change the story then?

Thanks!

Continuous AF on the XPro1 and XE1 are a joke. A bad joke. But don't my word for it. Pick one up yourself. Experience the "performance" first hand.

Or check DPReview's comments on the matter - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-pro1/14

The one area where the X-Pro1 genuinely falls behind a bit, though, is autofocus. For single-shot AF acquisition it's unable to match either similarly-priced SLRs or the best of its mirrorless peers for speed. As for tracking AF, the X-Pro1 doesn't offer it at all. Overall this means that it's not at all good at coping with subjects that are moving continuously or erratically. For static subjects, though, it's absolutely fine - and because the image sensor is used for focusing, it's inherently extremely accurate.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads