D7100 - High ISO test and other Pictures (interesting)

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions
Stepanfo Senior Member • Posts: 1,220
D7100 - High ISO test and other Pictures (interesting)

Today I held the camera in my hands. I managed to sneak my card in it and take some test shots. I did it without knowledge of the Nikon personnel and if they will have some problems because of it, I am really sorry. I did it without their permission and awareness.

I really like this camera. Images are really sharp and crisp.

This is a pre-production camera and does not have the final firmware in it. There are some unmapped dead pixels in the image.

I have no idea what Image settings were used.

Lenses used:

Bag: 14-24 f2.8

Cameras: 50mm f1.4

Sensors: Micro 105mm

TO DPREVIEW: I had to resize the 6000 pix files to 5476 so that they fit the 20 MP limit. This is kind of lame isnt it? I wanted to add original untouched files and I could not.

Some images are slightly motion blurred. Missing images were so blurred that there is no point in showing them.

Bag - whole image.

Crop - ISO 200

Crop - ISO 400

Crop - ISO 800

Crop - ISO 1600

Crop - ISO 3200

Crop - ISO 6400

Crop - ISO 12800

Crop: ISO 25600

Cameras - whole image ISO 3200

Crop - ISO 3200

Crop - ISO 6400

Crop - ISO 12800

Crop - ISO 25600

Here is the interesting stuff - sensors. FX, DX, CX and compact cameras.

ISO 100

ISO 400

ISO 1000

DX and CX side by side - ISO 1000.

CX - ISO 1000

Notice the AF on chip lines.

I hope you will like these pictures.

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dseventy Contributing Member • Posts: 657
Re: D7100 - High ISO test and other Pictures (interesting)

Nice - thanks.  

Any chance that you can allow 1:1 viewing on your gallery?

-- hide signature --

What are you waiting for? SHOOT!! (now dthreehundred)
http://www.artwhitton.com
http://myPhotoshopSite.com

dseventy's gear list:dseventy's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +13 more
J Craig H Regular Member • Posts: 179

Very impressive, sneaky work :). I can't really get a reliable impression from looking at these on my phone (will look again later). So what's your impression of the ISO capabilities? And do you know if these are with noise reduction on?

J Craig H's gear list:J Craig H's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D800E Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
OP Stepanfo Senior Member • Posts: 1,220

dseventy wrote:

Any chance that you can allow 1:1 viewing on your gallery?

It should work now.

dseventy Contributing Member • Posts: 657

Thanks -

In spite of the shake, it still gives me some idea about noise.  I love my D300, but not at 800 or above.

-- hide signature --

What are you waiting for? SHOOT!! (now dthreehundred)
http://www.artwhitton.com
http://myPhotoshopSite.com

dseventy's gear list:dseventy's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +13 more

J Craig H wrote:

So what's your impression of the ISO capabilities? And do you know if these are with noise reduction on?

ISO 6400 looks fine to me. ISO 3200 is really nice.

The images look like the NR was low or off. It really was a preproduction camera - in the exif it is called Q0760 and firmware is 0.22. Final production cameras will probably look even better.

Funduro
Funduro Contributing Member • Posts: 983

dseventy wrote:

Thanks -

In spite of the shake, it still gives me some idea about noise. I love my D300, but not at 800 or above.

Main reason why I've pre-ordered a D7100 is ISO performance or lack thereof of my D300s. Other reasons are: having the ability to crop the 24MP image, F8 AF, additional 1.3 crop factor for birding.

OP: Thanks for the ISO examples. Definitely a vast improvement over D300s, D7000 owners will no doubt see an improvement but not as much as D300 owners will.

-- hide signature --

FYI avatar image is by Steve McCurry

Funduro's gear list:Funduro's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D300S Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +11 more
Sunshine_boy
Sunshine_boy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,823

Stepanfo wrote:

Crop - ISO 200

Crop - ISO 1600

Crop - ISO 6400

Really impressive. Also a relief to see no moire effect due to the absence of the OLPF filter on which some people had some initial reservations.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
Visit my website for lots of pics and fun...
www.sunshine-web.com
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Coolpix P7100 Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon D60 Nikon D5200 +2 more
blue_cheese
blue_cheese Senior Member • Posts: 1,880
Regaring the Low pass filter

I would expect it to be a complete non-issue,

In order for image details to alias they would have to be smaller than half of a single pixel, a 24mp DX sensor that is pretty darn small, I expect that lens resolution in all practical cases to be a sufficient low pass filter.

Sunshine_boy wrote:

... Also a relief to see no moire effect due to the absence of the OLPF filter on which some people had some initial reservations.

Moire is a function of the pixel pitch, pattern pitch of the subject, focal lenght and subject distance. Unfortunatelly, that we see no moire on this bag does not imply, that we will never see it on anything. I might have zoomed out or/and stepped few steps back, and it could appear. Or not - if nikon implemented some clever software moire elimination.

Danel Senior Member • Posts: 2,905

Well, these are certainly impressive noise wise, even though the light is good on these shots.  I'll reserve judgement on the camera, though, until I see something more official.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875

Stepanfo wrote:

J Craig H wrote:

So what's your impression of the ISO capabilities? And do you know if these are with noise reduction on?

ISO 6400 looks fine to me. ISO 3200 is really nice.

The images look like the NR was low or off. It really was a preproduction camera - in the exif it is called Q0760 and firmware is 0.22. Final production cameras will probably look even better.

Hey, I'd have no prob using iso6400 for my events...web & small prints.  thx for posting !!

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
d3xmeister Veteran Member • Posts: 3,380

High ISO jpegs suck as usual with Nikon. I'm sure in RAW this will be better than D7000 but not by much. I hope to see better DR at ISO 1600/3200, that can be improved a lot Over previous generation.

jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875

d3xmeister wrote:

High ISO jpegs suck as usual with Nikon. I'm sure in RAW this will be better than D7000 but not by much. I hope to see better DR at ISO 1600/3200, that can be improved a lot Over previous generation.

My hi iso jpgs from my D7k do NOT suck...but are quite good.  This cam seems even better. It's the AF that is suspect...not up to 7D's standard.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
Isit13 Forum Member • Posts: 60

Impressive high ISO, but the truth only comes out when the lighting is low, with highlights mixed with shadows in atleast semi long exposures, with enough light for low iso, even high ISO can look deceivingly good. This can be noticed when post processing the RAW

Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800
Wouldn't go higher than 1600 with these

Isit13 wrote:

Impressive high ISO, but the truth only comes out when the lighting is low, with highlights mixed with shadows in atleast semi long exposures, with enough light for low iso, even high ISO can look deceivingly good. This can be noticed when post processing the RAW

Really? These look quite rough and even 1600 looks suspect. Much gushing about high iso in this thread but these samples but I'm not seeing it. The raw files should be better.

Re: Wouldn't go higher than 1600 with these

Toccata47 wrote:

Really? These look quite rough and even 1600 looks suspect. Much gushing about high iso in this thread but these samples but I'm not seeing it. The raw files should be better.

Really??? You must be very hard to please then.

D5200 has the highest ISO APS-C score in DXO mark ever. If D7100 uses the same sensor which lacks one layer of filters compared to D5200 this camera should be really good.

BTW that lower part of the bag is really tough subject - dark and low contrast details.

jonrobertp wrote:

d3xmeister wrote:

My hi iso jpgs from my D7k do NOT suck...but are quite good. This cam seems even better. It's the AF that is suspect...not up to 7D's standard.

Nah, way to much chroma noise and blotches  at any NR setting. i have the D5100. I would not shoot it in jpeg at more than ISO 1000, depending on situation. In RAW, I shoot at 3200 without a problem. For jpeg shooters Nikon is not a very good option, look how the 5D Mark III crushes the D600 in jpeg, but on RAW the D600 is noticeably better.

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,859

Thanks.

1) First, that 1000ISPO image (105mm) of the sensor is very nice, at 1/60s. Did you use VR?

2) Given the abscence of AA filter, even if there is some noise in the high ISO images, one may still be able to remove noise while keeping detail (more) intact. This has been reported for the D800E.

3) I like the way the D5200's sensor deals with colors, better than the D7000's. This will be a plus if the sensor is similar.

4) If the buffer of this camera was like 30 RAW, I think the case for a D400 would be very weak. As is, I believe a D400 is coming.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more

I think, as we know Nikon, high iso, details, colors, dr, af will be great in the D7100, for sure better than previous generation and the competition.  I only have concerns about banding, as I saw some serious cases with the D5200

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads