Headshot C&C Please

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions
decimusmaximus7
decimusmaximus7 Regular Member • Posts: 345
Headshot C&C Please

After watching this video by Peter Hurley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe3oJnFtA_k&list=UUsG5ZXkZpWhaa71Xi2zC2HQ&index=26

I practiced my head tilt.

Then I decided to practice my PP, focusing on toning down my images that some people think are too vivid.

Here are my final images. 1 with no added contrast and vibrancy, and 1 with a lesser amount of contrast and vibrancy than I usually use.

Please give your opinions on anything you feel, but especially the PP.

Thanks!

decimusmaximus7's gear list:decimusmaximus7's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II +37 more
KHorn
KHorn Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: Headshot C&C Please

Nice face, my only comment would be lighting is too head on.  I'm no expert by any stretch but maybe 30 degrees left.

KHorn's gear list:KHorn's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A560 Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Steve West Veteran Member • Posts: 5,742

I recently put up my first studios in the portrait forum. I got lots of great comments which helped my next attempts come out much better.

From that experience, things I'd say are:

1. The WB is off

2. You should have a strong key light off to the side, and then your fill light should be next to the camera and relatively weak.

3. You need a reflector below to stop the shadow on your neck.

4. f/2.5 is too open, and I'm not sure what lens you are using, but it looks very soft. Probably want at least f/4.

5. I think there is too much light on the hair. If it was just highlighted, it would give the photo a more 3D look.

It is amazing how much good a head tilt does on a portrait!

-- hide signature --
 Steve West's gear list:Steve West's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +5 more
G6u7a1m
G6u7a1m Contributing Member • Posts: 552

The second shot is definitely better IMHO. The first shot makes his skin look a little too red for my taste. I also think the head may be tilted toward the feminine style or the shoulders may not be tilted enough. Good shoot overall.

G6u7a1m's gear list:G6u7a1m's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
rithex Forum Member • Posts: 88

I can't comment on the white balance etc.. but the head tilt on a guy doesn't work.

Rashkae Senior Member • Posts: 1,176
2 things...

decimusmaximus7 wrote:

After watching this video by Peter Hurley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe3oJnFtA_k&list=UUsG5ZXkZpWhaa71Xi2zC2HQ&index=26

I practiced my head tilt.

Then I decided to practice my PP, focusing on toning down my images that some people think are too vivid.

Here are my final images. 1 with no added contrast and vibrancy, and 1 with a lesser amount of contrast and vibrancy than I usually use.

Please give your opinions on anything you feel, but especially the PP.

Thanks!

1. The tilt does NOT work on a guy

2. Focus on the eyes, not the nose.

decimusmaximus7
OP decimusmaximus7 Regular Member • Posts: 345

Thanks guys. The lens used was the original Minolta 50mm 1.4 on an a99 with the F60 mounted on the camera bounced.

My thinking is this...Some people don't want realistic portraits and want casual pictures for Facebook, etc. that make them look better than they are, so I chose this this focal length after looking at this:

http://stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdistortion/strippage.htm

and was working on making the face appear slimmer as well as Peter Hurley's jaw out technique.

I was also attempting to make the photo a little softer without having to do it in post, but I see that didn't work out so well because its obvious the nose is sharper than the eyes.

I can also see my flash in the window reflection so I will also have to try to change the angle to get that out of the shot.

I am trying to decide on a dedicated spot and easy lighting setup to take photos of friends that come over, like pre-party pics before an event. I may try to incorporate some of the existing lamps in the room to get more of a key light and fill light effect, but in previous tests, the bounce mounted on the camera was the best without pulling out umbrellas, which this is not the time for.

I will try some more tonight with the jaw out but head not tilted and see if that works better for men. (My wife picked the photo I posted here with the tilt as her favorite.)

Any more info on the WB? I'm not seeing any problems there.

decimusmaximus7's gear list:decimusmaximus7's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II +37 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads