D 7100 6 shot Raw Buffer IMO D400 still coming

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions
MMuddler Veteran Member • Posts: 4,526
Re: D 7100 6 shot Raw Buffer IMO D400 still coming

Clearly there is an intentional effort to create product separation. Blocking the buffer size, restricting fps  and reverting to Cam 3500 leave room for a step up.The 7100 is a nice incremental step but that step is from the D7k. Creating price discrimination thru versioning is a common tactic... reduce consumer surplus by segregating the poor devoted DX superfans and ultimately give them their feature set at a premium price. Hold back the product to increase their ardor until they can hardly stand the wait.... and they will gladly pay $2000+ for the replacement of a $1699  model. It's coming. We have been properly set up for the big one.  The big tease is on.

-- hide signature --
Pradipta Dutta
Pradipta Dutta Veteran Member • Posts: 9,781
Most likely not

Nikon announced D7100 as their Flagship DX DSLR. That leaves no room for a DX D400. Read Nikon's announcement here...

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D3 Nikon D2X Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
JasonED Contributing Member • Posts: 945

MMuddler wrote:

Clearly there is an intentional effort to create product separation. Blocking the buffer size, restricting fps and reverting to Cam 3500 leave room for a step up.The 7100 is a nice incremental step but that step is from the D7k. Creating price discrimination thru versioning is a common tactic... reduce consumer surplus by segregating the poor devoted DX superfans and ultimately give them their feature set at a premium price. Hold back the product to increase their ardor until they can hardly stand the wait.... and they will gladly pay $2000+ for the replacement of a $1699 model. It's coming. We have been properly set up for the big one. The big tease is on.

-- hide signature --

Reverting to CAM 3500?  How do you 'revert' to the current top of the line?

-- hide signature --

The sky is blue and there is nothing we can do..

ABA DABA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,074

Stusteelhead wrote:

Live for these silly forums? I'm a professional photographer reading up on the latest offering and realize that this camera leaves room for a D400, if you consider them silly why are you here on a camera gear forum?

-- hide signature --

www.raincoastphoto.com

Really a professional picture taker and looking at a D7100, hmmmmmm.

Why do I lurk around theses forums you ask, simple Its entertainment Saturday Night Live and Comedy Central all rolled into one. Oh FWIW, I paid my dues years ago, so now I just sit back and smile sometimes even get a good laugh out of the carrying on's.
ABA DABA

ABA DABA wrote:

Stusteelhead wrote:

After a bunch of searching found the D7100 buffer specs. to me 14 bit 6 shot buffer means a D400 has to be coming, http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm either that or canon will have a banner second half of the year.-
www.raincoastphoto.com

Means nothing of the sort, you as well as everyone else that lives for these silly forums. Manufacturers will still have you eating out of their hand all the way to the bank.

The world has been saved now that the new Nikon D7100 has been announced. --
ABA DABA

Oh come on....  there are real people who want/need a feature set beyond what the D7100 provides to the masses ( hehehe).     But you are very true... the manufacturer has us eating out of their hand when it comes to the D400. I would think that Nikon has lost few DX customers since their D5000 and D7000 products do have broad appeal and catch many buyers. They are simply raising  anticipation for the D400 to fever pitch amongst a set of ardent committed devotees and then will skewer them with a $2200 price  albeit with a really significant product step... but we will accept the price hike with a sigh of relief.

-- hide signature --

JasonED wrote:

MMuddler wrote:

Clearly there is an intentional effort to create product separation. Blocking the buffer size, restricting fps and reverting to Cam 3500 leave room for a step up.The 7100 is a nice incremental step but that step is from the D7k. Creating price discrimination thru versioning is a common tactic... reduce consumer surplus by segregating the poor devoted DX superfans and ultimately give them their feature set at a premium price. Hold back the product to increase their ardor until they can hardly stand the wait.... and they will gladly pay $2000+ for the replacement of a $1699 model. It's coming. We have been properly set up for the big one. The big tease is on.

-- hide signature --

Reverting to CAM 3500? How do you 'revert' to the current top of the line?

When was Cam 3500Dx introduced?  It is hand-me-down technology now.

-- hide signature --
Lux Painter Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: Mediocre upgrade...

Well at the end it all comes to the picture quality, but based on the specs it is barely an ok upgrade of the D7000.

The body itself (just like the other high-end Nikon bodies) appears more and more like an outdated design stuck in the past. Where are modern features such as tilt/swivel screen, touch sreen...?

Maybe Nikon saved all the state of the art upgrades for an high-end DX model, but based on the prices I don't see room for a D300s replacement:

D7100: €1170

D600: €1570

HSway
HSway Veteran Member • Posts: 3,147

I think this is the TOTL dx, a good upgrade to d7000 shaped distinctly for reach and action (not really beefed up). For action either this or choosing from fx current or future cameras. Folks able to pay for large telephoto lenses can afford an fx body. The frame rate is nice considering the file size which is more important (for cropping). Same for lack of AA filter. Great combination. "Durable Construction - Built to perform in a wide variety of conditions, the D7100 is built to the same moisture and dust resistance specifications of the venerable Nikon D300S." Price is very nice, an excellent value overall.

I think there will be no 7d ll. Don’t know why CR man chose to state this camera with those specs. But he is not sure and changes this constantly, same for the sensor. Dpreview did their best to convey the message from Canon’s Masaya Maeda. 70d will get AF tune back and a coat and guts similar to d7100. Nikon and Canon move their stick towards the fx and mirrorless a tad. Could be argued why not the Sony’s new 20mp some doubted it'd materialize? there will be more reasons but by plain figures you’d gain in speed a little and lose some reach. Nothing is perfect, one will find advantage in a hair more speed once, for the next time it’s going to be the pixels.

-- hide signature --
Vince P
Vince P Senior Member • Posts: 1,483
Re: Most likely not

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

Nikon announced D7100 as their Flagship DX DSLR. That leaves no room for a DX D400. Read Nikon's announcement here...

-- hide signature --

In that announcement they keep using the words advanced and enthusiast avoiding professional, it won't be an NPS/NPU body, still no dedicated AF button and a tiny buffer would make it very unappealing for many. In other releases it's called Mid Range which could mean something else is coming.

Vince P's gear list:Vince P's gear list
Sony RX100 V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D5 Panasonic GH5 Nikon D850 +57 more
OP Stusteelhead Senior Member • Posts: 1,135

I'm looking because its being touted as a D300s replacement, I shoot wildllife reach and speed matter,.  And yes I'm sure many pros are looking st the specs on this camera.

www.raincoastphoto.com

OP Stusteelhead Senior Member • Posts: 1,135

Whats weird is the canadian and american site said flagship but the international site didn't, and spec wise of current dx cameras it technically I guess it is the flagship for the time being anyway.

-- hide signature --

www.raincoastphoto.com

Pradipta Dutta
Pradipta Dutta Veteran Member • Posts: 9,781

Vince P wrote:

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

Nikon announced D7100 as their Flagship DX DSLR. That leaves no room for a DX D400. Read Nikon's announcement here...

-- hide signature --

In that announcement they keep using the words advanced and enthusiast avoiding professional, it won't be an NPS/NPU body, still no dedicated AF button and a tiny buffer would make it very unappealing for many. In other releases it's called Mid Range which could mean something else is coming.

The way I interpreted the press release is that Nikon will not have a professional DX DSLR and their flagship DX body will be an enthusiast model. I have never seen Nikon announcing a body as their flagship and their trouncing it with another body soon after.

Canon has taken a similar approach. They don't call 7D as a professional model.

-- hide signature --

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D3 Nikon D2X Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,682
Have to agree

Stusteelhead wrote:

After a bunch of searching found the D7100 buffer specs. to me 14 bit 6 shot buffer means a D400 has to be coming, http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm either that or canon will have a banner second half of the year.

-- hide signature --

www.raincoastphoto.com

The smallish buffer was the only weakness of the D7000. There is only one reasonable explanation why Nikon did not fix it i D7100 - A later D400 with 8-10 fps and huge buffer. Otherwise they would give up this segment to Canon 7D (and probable 7DII) which essentially is a mini 1D.

On the other hand - if the buffer was larger I would be convinced that this was the replacement for both D7000 and D300s.

-- hide signature --
zakk9 Senior Member • Posts: 1,184
Ha ha.. smart move, Nikon... or?

One little detail that will force any action photographer to by a D400 (if it's in the pipeline) or a D4 (which many can't afford) or change to Canon or whatever else is available out there. Your move, Nikon. Please come up with the D400 before my D300 says goodnight, will you?

That's a weird situation:

The Nikon D300 is ancient technology, the Canon 7D almost as old and Pentax isn't famous for its AF accuracy (and not available in many countries). Should I hope for an Olympus E-7?

-- hide signature --

Jorgen, my name is Jorgen

John Motts Veteran Member • Posts: 5,430

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

-- hide signature --

I agree. I'd be amazed if a D400 is coming when you consider the extra focus points, dual cards etc of the 7100.

This is a replacement for both - there just isn't enough room for a D300 replacement.

Apollo18
Apollo18 Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

Vince P wrote:

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

-- hide signature --

The way I interpreted the press release is that Nikon will not have a professional DX DSLR and their flagship DX body will be an enthusiast model. I have never seen Nikon announcing a body as their flagship and their trouncing it with another body soon after.

Canon has taken a similar approach. They don't call 7D as a professional model.

-- hide signature --

Completely agree. It's looking ominous for D400 believers.

DX format in a DSLR continues to be squeezed at both ends (by which I mean FX at the top end, and mirrorless at the lower end). For my part, I sold my D300 about a year ago and now shoot with a D800 (for wildlife, landscape) and a Fuji X-E1 (for everything else).

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +3 more
joeybob Contributing Member • Posts: 627

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

-- hide signature --

That is my interpretation as well - since Nikon uses the term "Flagship" so sparingly. Additionally, by the time the D400 could appear(this Fall perhaps?) the prices for the D600 could be in the neighborhood of $1800.00. (Refurb D600's can be had @ or below that price now.)

joeybob's gear list:joeybob's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D300 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon D600 +42 more
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,846

MMuddler wrote:

Clearly there is an intentional effort to create product separation. Blocking the buffer size, restricting fps and reverting to Cam 3500

I am not impressed by many aspects of the D7100, but  "reverting to CAM 3500"? This is "Advanced CAM 3500 DX", the D4 has "Advanced CAM 3500 FX". The D300 has "CAM 3500 DX", the D3 has "CAM 3500 FX". And all "CAM 3500" has 51 point AF.

I do not see that as "reverting", unless you believe that the 39 point CAM 4800 is better because it is a higher number?

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
Phil_L Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121

The D7100 so near, but still so far...

Well it is preliminarily listed at about 60% of the introductory price of the D300 and about 67% of the current D600 price here in Sweden.

Seems to leave some pricing space for another DX camera?

Question is how Nikon perceive this segment of the market market and the Canon D7 Mk. II rumour/threat, which could also be seen as preempting??

-- hide signature --

Phil_L

Phil_L's gear list:Phil_L's gear list
Nikon D500 Phase One Capture One Pro
ScottRH
ScottRH Senior Member • Posts: 1,733

Sinnerman wrote:

I would pay 2k for a D400...with the right specs.

+1

Serious DX Wildlife shooters.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads