Size does matter!!!

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions
OP Dédéjr Regular Member • Posts: 491
Fair play Chopf

If you can wait sure why rush?? Cameras like most things are about compromises.

Good luck

André

Dédéjr's gear list:Dédéjr's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
That's fair enough Russ

If i am honest, i have no real need for the k5 either. The camera exceeds my abilities, and may indeed alway's do so. A half decent bridge could probably serve me as well or even better.

But i do enjoy the k5 and changing lenses and all that fun stuff so...

Cheers

andré

Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Robert A F
Robert A F Senior Member • Posts: 1,288
Size & Quality Does Matter +++++

K-5 with grip.

DA 15mm

DA 21mm

DA 35mm Macro

DA 55-300mm

B&W 49mm Polarizer

Lowepro Photo Runner bag

Lowepro Bottle Bag for water attached to side of bag.

I will sell the 55-300 and get the DA 300mm with Pentax's future 1.4x tele-extender or if they come out with a reasonably priced 400mm 5.6. Then the DA 70mm will be back in the bag.

That's the kit and the plan at this time.

Robert

Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,740
Re: Size does matter!!!

I have a Crumpler bag that is my "carry everywhere" bag. Inside is a K-01, DA21 and DA40, notepad, flash drives, spare phone batteries, etc., everything I need in a pinch. It's light enough that I can carry it around everywhere without much trouble, and it never feels heavy. If I'm doing "serious photography" I'll bring along a K-30 and various other lenses, depending on what I want to shoot. I'm very happy with my current gear, and the output I'm getting. In other words, I'm the retail industry's worst nightmare

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +9 more
bob5050 Regular Member • Posts: 241
Re: Size does matter!!! (but wondering about third lens)

ozdean wrote:

K5 & 18-135

Close--for vacation this year I plan to be carrying all day a K-30 w/ the 18-135 mounted, and then in a sling or small pack the DA 35mm F/2.4 with my spare batteries/cards. Bit faster for inside shots.

Do wondering about a third lens though ...

bob

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
John Michael Winterbourne
John Michael Winterbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,721
Re: No worries gerry

I don't think I've ever heard my brother Gerry arguing in favour of a Pentax FF dslr to replace his beloved k5?

He mentions  3 other Ws.  His son Phil is the Canon FF user - usually.  He does a lot of excellent studio work, so that's his main driver for FF I think.  Every year, he does a photobook of the Cropredy festival.  I know he was talking about using just his smart phone for last year's, I can't remember if he actually went through with it.  So size is an issue for him (sometimes).  He was playing with his phone doing indoor panoramas last time I saw him.

I have a D700, and for a year or two I used a Nikkor 28-200 for walkabout.  It's only an OK lens, but it isn't very big or heavy, I'm guessing a bit but about half the size/weight of the 24-120AFS kit lens it came with. A lot of the Nikon lens size burden is having the AF motor in the modern lenses, but the D700 has in body focusing so I don't need to bother with that.

Gerry is very persuasive so these days I'm much more likely to take just a few primes.  Last year I had a few days in N. Wales and packed only the D700 and 3 x MF Takumars - 24/3.5, 50/1.4 and 135/3.5.  None of which are very big.  Frequently often, I'll just take the D700 and an AF 50/1.8. I've just remembered - when I went FF, I traded in my Sigma 10-20 (which was an OK size) and got its big brother, the 12-24.  It's enormous, and I never use it.

Gerry will also remember the time when we were all four in Cardiff.  Phil went partly film FF on Canon; I had the D700 but it mainly stayed back at base.  I used an Oly OM2 + various Adaptalls (mainly 17/3.5) around Cardiff Bay; but my digital gear was a D60 with a chipped Nikon Series E MF 50/1.8, which is tiny.  I carried both cameras and lenses in a single shoulder bag.  So I also think about size a lot.  These days if I use the D60 in the street, it's more likely to have the Nikkor 35/1.8 AFS attached

Brian still has (?) the 4/3 camera Gerry mentions, but he's since moved to Nikon - not an SLR, but one of those amazing superzoom bridge jobs (28-1000 FF equiv, or something crazy).  He and his wife do a lot of overseas travel, and size, weight  and a wide range of FL are crucial for him.

For myself - and Phil to an extent - if the technolgy gets as far as having an FF sensor in a body the size of an early 'small' SLR - Spotmatic, e.g. - with interchangeable lenses and an OVF, I'd be off like a shot. (Unless it's made by Leica because even if I could afford it, they're ridiculously over priced.)

Finally, if I ever need reassuring that the D700 isn't really that big and heavy, I just get the Pentacon 6 TL out of the cupboard.... and pair it up with the CZJ 300/4.  Definitely not a bif combo!

John Michael Winterbourne's gear list:John Michael Winterbourne's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 +21 more
John

Sounds like good fun all that. I believe choice is primal in all things in life. I did detect a certain arrogance from some, believing folks with aps-c or ff were somehow stupid and archaic from walking around with their gear.

Cheers

andré

bjake Regular Member • Posts: 327
Re: Size does matter!!!

Depends on the light and what potential subjects expected.General good light 28-105.Low light-cloudy Tamron 28-105 f2.8.Expect to encounter birds FA 100-300.Bugs and small objects Tamron 90mm.Indoors ,a Sigma 24mm.Concentrating on birds not flying,manual 500mm.

Carry quite a few lens on trips but when out shooting only the camera and one lens.

jm_mac Senior Member • Posts: 2,043
K5 + 135mm

My favorite carry-around kit is the K5 + 135mm.  If I have a specific purpose in mind, then I have other lenses, and a Nikon DSLR to choose from.  For example, I've been using my Sigma 50-150mm a lot because of my son's ice hockey.

But as it stands right now, when I go out to take pictures and don't have a specific subject in mind, my favorite is the K5 + 135mm.  Withe all the other lenses I have, the range isn't versatile enough, or the lens is too heavy, for me to want to lug around all day.  This may change in the coming months -  I just bought the new Sigma 18-250mm macro, and it seems like a great lens.  I haven't put it through its paces enough to have it replace the 18-135mm yet.  Plus, the sigma is not weather resistant.

jm_mac

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Ricoh WG-M1 Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Nikon D7200 Canon EOS 80D +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads