Camera bag to house JUST the NEX camera and kit lens

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions
Arun Padakandla Regular Member • Posts: 128
Camera bag to house JUST the NEX camera and kit lens

Hi,

I am looking for a good camera bag for my Nex 5N. I would not mind spending a few extra bucks if it is good, I seem to want to love this camera :-)!!!

My requirements are that it be compact and house camera and the kit lens. I am not looking for it to house any more lenses as that would make the bag bulky. I would definitely prefer the bag hold a few small things like spare battery, memory cards. It would be great if it hugs the contents tight.

Please send me your suggestions based on your experience. It would be very helpful for me to select one. Since the same bag will be good for either 5R or F3, please let me know what you use with NEX camera.

Thanks,

Regards,

Arun

GuyNC Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Camera bag to house JUST the NEX camera and kit lens

I am very happy with the Kata MarvelX-20 DL.  Holds the NEX plus 18-55 kit or smaller lens snugly with small side and top pockets that can hold an extra battery and a few SD cards.  It is well constructed and padded enough to offer some protection without being bulky.  It comes with a shoulder strap and belt loops (which I prefer).

LifeIsAVerb Senior Member • Posts: 1,758

I've got a Lowepro Adventura TLZ 25 that works well. With an NEX-sized camera placed into the bag with the lens pointing down, there's barely any room left in the main compartment, and the camera's nice and snug. There's room to slip in the owner's manual, but that's about it.

There's a small, zippered front pocket to hold data cards, the electronic viewfinder, batteries, etc., and a couple of open side pockets with elastic along the top for other sundries. Like all Lowepro stuff i've encountered, it seems sturdy and well made. It's padded enough that i wouldn't worry about dropping it on the ground with the camera inside.

It's got a shoulder strap and a belt loop. Mine's black; not sure it comes in other colors.

Dean Regular Member • Posts: 112
 Dean's gear list:Dean's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
indybird
indybird Forum Member • Posts: 53

I've been using the Lowepro Compact Courier 80  as my small walkaround bag since I bought my camera in November. Though it has space for a second small lens, it's still a super compact camera bag.

indybird's gear list:indybird's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
arangast
arangast Forum Member • Posts: 68

I've got the National Geographic Small Holster (NG W2021) which is pretty compact - slightly bigger than the Kata but smaller than the Lowepro options.

The camera + 18-55mm slides into it snugly and if you put the camera face down you would have space for the 16mm.  It has a compartment big enough for one or two batteries, memory cards and the flash and it comes with a waterproof cover.

I managed to pick one up for under £20 but they're normally a bit more than that.

-- hide signature --

Camera: Sony NEX 5R

arangast's gear list:arangast's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +2 more
OP Arun Padakandla Regular Member • Posts: 128

Thank you GuyNC for your reply. I did a little bit of reading on the Kata and found it pretty good. Only couple of concerns is that it has just two pouches. One is the media pouch and the other is at th side for the flash. I dont think I can carry the battery charger and usb cable in this bag. So the question I have is the following

Does this bag carry the 5N with the kit lens and the flash attached, one or two sd cards, one spare battery, one battery charger and a usb cable all at once.

Thanks a ton for taking the time and writing your suggestion and opinion. It has proved very useful for me.

Thanks,

Arun

I did a little bit of survey of the Adventura. It looks good and quite spacious. The fabric seems a little retroo in the sense that it is a little less attractive. That is not too much of a concern. I also looked at the Adventura TLZ 15. I dont get the difference between the TLZ15 and TLZ25. I am looking to carry the 5N+kit lens+flash all attached to 5N, one spare battery, one or two SD cards, one battery charger and 1 USB cable. I am guessing the bag can carry all of this without fuss. I would like to know your opinion.

I would also like to know how is the construction of this bag. Does it have good padding?

Thanks a lot for writing me about the Advetura. It has been a very useful pointer and your inpurts have been very useful.

Thanks,

Arun

Thanks a lot for pointing me towards Compact Courier (CC80). This bag sounds very good and I am attracted towards 2 bag in one design. The only concern is that it has just one pocket for all items such as sd-cards, battery, etc. Else, this would be a very very good choice. What is your comments on this. Do you very frequently miss another pocket for storing items such as spare battery, memory card, usb cable etc.?

Hey arangast, Thanks so mucj for your NG holster suggestion. This is a useful pointer. Since this seems to be a little less popular, I am still in the process of gleaning more information from the net. I maybe asking you a specific questions soon. Thanks a ton for posting your suggestion and opionions.

indybird
indybird Forum Member • Posts: 53

Arun Padakandla wrote:

Thanks a lot for pointing me towards Compact Courier (CC80). This bag sounds very good and I am attracted towards 2 bag in one design. The only concern is that it has just one pocket for all items such as sd-cards, battery, etc. Else, this would be a very very good choice. What is your comments on this. Do you very frequently miss another pocket for storing items such as spare battery, memory card, usb cable etc.?

No Problem!

Since the case is designed to fit a NEX + small lens, but I don't typically have a second lens I actually end up using the extra space for batteries, charger and tripod mount. I can also fit two extra SD cards in the SD card pocket.

indybird's gear list:indybird's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
Chris 1 Regular Member • Posts: 163

Check out the Sony LCS-U series Camcorder cases. They come in several sizes. I have the U10. It's compact just enough room for the 5n with kit + charger, pockets for flash and filters, belt loop and shoulder strap.

Chris 1's gear list:Chris 1's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6000 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
BubbaHotepUK Regular Member • Posts: 471

I've been using this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acme-Made-Union-Messenger-Shoulder/dp/B004R71BB4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361440709&sr=1-3

I like it because it's a little narrower against your side then a lot of bags, and doesn't scream "camera bag" either.  It also prove to be reasonably water-proof on one occasion!  The little lens cap slot is a life saver for me, too.

BubbaHotepUK's gear list:BubbaHotepUK's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +6 more
originalsauce Forum Member • Posts: 69

There have been a few Lowepro products already mentioned. I would like to add one more.

I am very happy with the Lowepro Hatchback carrying the NEX-5R. I have the 22L but there is a 16L version. The 22L in my opinion is quite compact so I would imagine the 16L is quite small.

It houses the Kit Lens and 55-210mm. When I store my kit for travel I have the kit lens attached to the NEX and placed faced down in the main middle compartment. The 55-210 can then be placed in the same middle compartment flat down. This frees up one of the extra compartments for whatever you need.

Usual Contents in bottom camera compartment.

• filter lenses
  • kit lens 18-55mm
  • nex body
  • 55-210mm
  • adapter
  • viewfinder/flash
  • spare battery
  • extra memory cards (kept in tiny pocket provided).

A nice feature of the camera compartment is that it's removable, held in pace with velcro.

The camera compartment is padded satisfactorily. I like that when it;s strapped to your back the camera opening is kept close to your back away from thieving fingers.

The top compartment is big enough to carry some traveling essentials and change of clothes. Although a pair of jeans would take up most of the space. It has handy mesh side pockets/zip pocket within the top compartment.

It also has a front pocket (split into two compartments) which fits an iPad with rubber base protection/smart cover and a colcasac hemp case (slight squeeze with the hemp case but still fits without damage). The second front compartment fits documents e.g passport.

It also has an attached waterproof cover that is kept in a very thin pocket on the bottom of the backpack. It's simple to open and covers the back like a glove.

I keep a joby gorillapod in one outer sidepocket and a toothbrush in the other.

I took one with me to Africa and I was very happy with it.

OS

GuyNC Junior Member • Posts: 36

Arun Padakandla wrote:

Thank you GuyNC for your reply. I did a little bit of reading on the Kata and found it pretty good. Only couple of concerns is that it has just two pouches. One is the media pouch and the other is at th side for the flash. I dont think I can carry the battery charger and usb cable in this bag. So the question I have is the following

Does this bag carry the 5N with the kit lens and the flash attached, one or two sd cards, one spare battery, one battery charger and a usb cable all at once.

Thanks a ton for taking the time and writing your suggestion and opinion. It has proved very useful for me.

Thanks,

Arun

Hi Arun,

I have only used it with the NEX-6 (1650PZ) and F3 (1855) which have the flash built in.  However, if you look on Amazon's US site a customer has posted pictures of the 5N with external flash attached, so yes it does fit.  I have no trouble carrying the camera with kit lens, a few SD cards in the media pouch, and a spare battery in the side pocket.  You might be able to squeeze the USB cable in there somewhere but I don't see how a charger would fit.  If that is a deal breaker, you might look at the 40 DL which is basically the same bag with a second compartment attached to the bottom.  They advertise that being for a second lens, but it looks tool small for most lenses but might be just right for the charger & cable.

uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,838

I am sure you will not need an extra memory card and an extra battery when you are just taking the camera and 1 lens with you for a day. (Check # of pics still left for the card and watch your battery % before you go out.)

If that suffices for you, I would suggest what I do:

Get an Optech SOFT POUCH - DIGITAL D-SERIES D-M 4/3 made of neoprene. I hang my camera on a Domke Gripper with swivel, 1" strap.

The pouch is soft, bang resistant, I slipped into a stream in the jungles of Borneo once with the camera thus carried and there was no moisture on it afterwards at all and the camera etc has worked perfectly for the last year. The set-up is highly protecting and the D 4/3 pouch is a bit larger than originally suggested by B+H. But I love the extra space when putting the bag back on. (I just put the bag into my pants pocket and pull it back on when i am done.) It is loose enough so i can  keep my RRS Arca plate on the camera all the time.

I do change cards when there are fewer than 100 - 50 images still available (out of 600 + for RAW only) and when the battery is down below 40 - 30 %. For me it will be weeks before this happens and the LCD/finder can be set to show this info continuously. So, no worry!

Rotonda New Member • Posts: 11

indybird wrote:

I've been using the Lowepro Compact Courier 80 as my small walkaround bag since I bought my camera in November. Though it has space for a second small lens, it's still a super compact camera bag.

I've recently bought this as well. It does offer a bit more room than is needed for just the body with a lens. I find it a perfect fit for my 5n with the sigma 30 and 19. If you only have the mounted lens there is a lens equivalent of space for other stuff. There is a model that is slightly smaller and only fits a body with the mounted lens.

I like it, even though it will not win any fashion rewards.

Rotonda New Member • Posts: 11

Arun Padakandla wrote:

Sorry, I missed this. There is a movable divider in the internal compartment. So it is possible to keep the camera and the batteries or charger apart. Since I use it as my small bag for camera only I do not miss the extra space. When I travel I bring this and a larger bag. I only use this when I reallt want to minimize the bag and do not need spare batteries, charger etc.

M. Mitchell Regular Member • Posts: 313

I just received my Tamrac 5693 for my Nex 6. The case fits the Nex 6 with the 16-53 lens  like a glove. The camera slides in easily, and it does not move about inside the case. There is a small outside pocket for batteries and cards. It comes with a shoulder strap. and it can be used on a belt. It fastens over the belt without the need to open the belt.

M. Mitchell Regular Member • Posts: 313

The lens for the Nex 6 is a 16-50.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads