E-5 vs K-5 ii Locked

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
britcam
britcam Senior Member • Posts: 2,457
Re: K-5 ii vs OMD - EM5 test at the camera store

The right choice - no doubt at all.  Well done!

K30 is a lovely cam. With its light weight, weak AA filter, WR, fantastic grip, and AA batteries, its unbeatable.

Pentax takes over from where Oly 4/3 left off - great ergonomics, best sensor, WR, strong road map ahead, and huge array of lenses, from legacy through to fast DA zooms. If you can take the tiny DA 15Ltd with you, then do. Wonderful little thing that at its FL beat my ZD 7-14 for IQ!

I was wedded to the my E3 & HG & SHG lenses for a long time, until I did side by side tests with a K5. Then the full Oly kit got sold. I now have the K30 & K-01, both at bargain prices, with the hope of getting a K5IIs or K3 in future years.

-- hide signature --

britcam
The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. ~Edward R. Murrow

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
britcam
britcam Senior Member • Posts: 2,457
Re: The K-5II...

fiolmattias wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

One more thing: between a K-5 and K-5II, definitively get the K-5II.

I've gave up on my Pentax dreams with the AF on the K-5. I know Pentax claims that the K-5II has improved AF, is that something you can confirm?

AF issues with the K5II and K5IIs are now sorted!

Same applies to the K30 and K-01.

-- hide signature --

britcam
The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. ~Edward R. Murrow

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 1,819

fiolmattias wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

One more thing: between a K-5 and K-5II, definitively get the K-5II.

I've gave up on my Pentax dreams with the AF on the K-5. I know Pentax claims that the K-5II has improved AF, is that something you can confirm?

AF issues with the K5II and K5IIs are now sorted!

Same applies to the K30 and K-01.

-- hide signature --

britcam

Yes, AF is sorted. In body SR has been improved also. The pentax K5IIs is the near perfect APSC camera, at an unbeatable price for the quality you get. If I were Olympus, I would simply copy it, with the 5axis IBIS, and together with the zuiko lenses, wow!
The zuiko SHG lenses are still well above the best pentax lens offerings.
Pentax has the cameras, Olympus has the lenses.

Chris

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha a7R II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Pentax HD DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW Zeiss Loxia 35
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,632

Chris Mak wrote:

Clearly you don't know much about Pentax lenses. The prime lenses are the main attraction, and primes I bellieve are an Olympus weak spot. The DA*50-135 f2.8 and DA*60-250 f4 are as good as anyone's. Pentax needs a better standard zoom than the DA*16-50, which is just passable.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +18 more
OM User
OM User Regular Member • Posts: 283

DaveP E1 wrote:

Everyone;

This thread has skewed me in the direction of K-5 ii vs OMD as I don't really have much of an Oly lens investment and the K-5 means buying into older technology with the lack of Olympus support down the road looming. Granted I'm missing the great Oly lens lineup but the Pentax lineup is more than satisfactory. The main advantage of the OMD setup was weight/portability. On the other hand I saw the K-5 / 18-135 as a cost effective simple 1 lens solution for the upcoming trip with a clear upgrade path down the road. Also, the Pentax K30 was thrown into the mix as bargain alernative to the K-5 ii.

My trip to the camera store went as such. I first asked to test the OMD-EM5. The salesman was very high on this camera & I was handed the 12-50 kit. I had no problem with the viewfinder, or handling, although I was aware I was looking trough an EVF. There may even be a little lag as I panned around the store. The build quality was great but I thought that the function dials were more for the classic look rather than functional. I took a bunch of shots at all focal lengths, may have failed to autofocus once, but was pleased.

Then asked to see the K-5 ii - even though I pre-called , they didn't have one to show me - was at their other store. Then I saw the K30 kit on the shelf , an 18-55 I think, and asked to see it. But told them I really wanted the 18-135 kit. They had a loose 18-135 on the shelf and paired it up for me. I have to say the build quality of the 18-135 is at least on par with the Olympus HQ lenses. The build on the K30 is adequate but no E-1. The K30/18-135 felt perfect in my hands, all the buttons were in the right places and the grip was phenomenal - the ergonomics were superb. The viewfinder is large and bright and the first shutter release (maybe it was the sound) got my blood boiling. I was firing off shots rapidly in every direction and was amazed at the laser sharp images and instant AF lock-in at all focal lengths. The dealer was ready to bundle the K30 & 18-135 for $1099. This setup will provide some weight advantages and will make a nice sinlge lense walk-around. Can now afford wide angle lense to compliment the setup.

The downside to the K30 is low battery life ( 410 shots ) as part of the battery compartment is dedicated to AA batteries. On the other hand the AA option could be a lifesaver on a trip to remote parts of the earth.

Much thanks to everyone on your input.

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

I'm following this debate with interest as SWMBO is thinking of upgrading her P30n and I was looking at the K30 with 18-135mm - small, light, easy to handle, and good results. Thank you for your quick review of the package. This however will not get you the long telephoto end and if reach is important you need a dual lens kit of 18-55 & 55-300. I think on a trip like this you do need the functionality of the zooms. The K5ii is out of our budget but may be in yours.

The E-5 (or E-620 for small size) with the 12-60 + 50-200 +1.4x (2x) will give you more reach and optically better (for a price). Your E-1 becomes a backup when you have the ability to take two bodies. If I already had some investment in 4/3rd this would be convincing for me.

The EM-5 with 12-50 & 75-300 gives you the spread, maybe with the 45/1.8 to overcome the f6.3 of the kit zoom at its long end. The 300 end of the long zoom is also poor at light gathering but remember this is 600mm effective focal length. There is no substitute for getting an otherwise unobtainable shot. This is the best you can get for small and light but all 3 options each have their own complling reasons. I shall watch the rest of the debate with interest.

OM User's gear list:OM User's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +10 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,699
Re: How are you travelling, and when?

Lovely shots, Erich! I vote for a V1, with adapter and AF-S 70-300 VR, which is superb in the center, which is what matters - that equals around 200-800, with superb anti-shake! For the rest I'd consider a E-5, with light lens, maybe an RX100, or something like that. Check out the Nikon V1 forum for some amazing bird shots (do a search for Bobby Handal's photos, for instance).

I'll never again invest in anything as big and heavy as the Sigma 150-500 OSS I used to have, as the results with the tiny V1 is often better than the K-5 plus that Sigma ever was!

Some of my own V1 shots:

70-300 plus Kenko 1.4X gave the moon this face!

I used a Canon 500D close-up lens on the 70-300 for this shot of a small fly!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Haider Senior Member • Posts: 1,015
Re: And the lessons are:

erichK wrote:

1) That Olympus is right in their statement that the OM-D is not really a "professional" camera

2) That Olympus really does need come out with at least one, and preferably more than one new bodies that have larger, more ergonomic controls and VF

3) That such bodies, even the biggest of them should be significantly smaller and lighter than the E-3/E-5, preferably more or less Pentax K size, which also happens to be E-1 sized.

The OP did indeed make the right choice: he chose the camera that felt and worked best in his hands. That is how I chose my E-1 in 2004/

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

K30 seems a fine camera. The lens will seemingly hobble it. It's like the Zuiko 18-180 big FL but not a not quality lens. I suppose once you get back you can get better lens for it but it seems a shame to go the Galapagos Islands with that lens.

Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 1,819

Chris Mak wrote:

Clearly you don't know much about Pentax lenses. The prime lenses are the main attraction, and primes I bellieve are an Olympus weak spot. The DA*50-135 f2.8 and DA*60-250 f4 are as good as anyone's. Pentax needs a better standard zoom than the DA*16-50, which is just passable.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Hold on Dan, you misunderstood me.
I meant to say, that the summit of super high quality lenses, with the zuiko SHG lenses, is part of the Olympus system. I used three of these lenses, also the 150f2. That lens is truely out of this world. I also had the Pentax da 35mm ltd macro, before I went for the Zeiss lenses. A wonderful little lens, but however good, the zuiko SHG are the top for me.
When I changed Olympus for Pentax, it was with a sore feeling of having to let go of the SHG zuikos, but Olympus had no worthy camera to put them on i.m.o.
Certainly not a camera of the likes of the K5IIs. That camera is all the SHG lenses were in their way: the best of its kind.
I wish Olympus had had the brains or guts or capital or whatever to put a camera like that together.
I'm not suggesting in any way that Pentax glass is inferior. Far from it!

Chris

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha a7R II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Pentax HD DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW Zeiss Loxia 35
OP DaveP E1 Regular Member • Posts: 118

Picked up the K-30 kit w/ 18-135 - just came back from a lunchtime photo expedition with outstading snowly landscapes with clouds & trees -  super pleased.  Lens distortion is not noticable at all.  I'm shooting Ap priority for now with Ap & ISO on the wheels until I get used to all the options.

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50 & K30 18-135

You might consider getting her the 18-55 instead of the 18-135 - I noticed that lens gets a little front heavy on the wirst when shooting for a long period of time - you have to keep that lens cradled with your left hand.

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50 & k30 18-153

Re: Pentax has a nice walk-around zoom lens? LOL!

Yeah, DA40 K30 would make a nice combo to throw in the backpack

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

audiobomber
Re: E-5 vs K-5 ii

DaveP E1 wrote:

Give me a compelling reason to stick with Oly. I have a once in a lifetime vacation coming up - Machu Picchu & Galapogos and will retire my trusty E-1 for something with IS and more reach. The E-5 will require all new lenses, 12-60 & 50-200 ~$3300. The Pentax K-5 ii on the other hand has a nice walk-around 18-135mm (x1.5) f3.8 kit lens lens with supposed better IQ, dynamic range, very high ISO ~$1500. With Oly possibly abandoning the semi-pro SLR market it seems like a no-brainer. Ruggedness/ weatherproofing/dependability is high on my list of attributes. Can the K-5 ii comapre with the build quaility of the E-1. For that matter, can even the E-5 compare?

Now that you have the K-30 and 18-135, you should consider the DA*300mm f4. I use those two together often. I don't find much need for the FL's between 135 and 300. The DA*300 is a gem of a lens, and reasonably priced. My main kit has become the 18-135 plus primes and a fisheye.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +18 more
audiobomber

DaveP E1 wrote:

Picked up the K-30 kit w/ 18-135 - just came back from a lunchtime photo expedition with outstading snowly landscapes with clouds & trees - super pleased. Lens distortion is not noticable at all. I'm shooting Ap priority for now with Ap & ISO on the wheels until I get used to all the options.

I'm not sure what Ap means. I leave the dial functions as Pentax intended (aperture on rear dial, shutter speed on the front).

Program mode is very useful on a Pentax, because it has a function called Hyper-Program. You can leave the camera in P mode and instantly shift to aperture priority by turning the rear dial, or shift into shutter priority by turning the front dial. You can set ISO to a specific value or let it float. To return to program, hit the Green button.

I suggest you also try TAv mode. It allows you to set the aperture and shutter speed and the ISO floats. Unlike some other brands who call this mode "manual with auto ISO", TAv allows you to use exposure compensation. You can also limit the range that ISO controls in, but you have to be careful to stay within bounds of proper exposure (settings flash if exposure is out of range).

There are excellent explanations of the modes here:  http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K5/K5MODES.HTM

-- hide signature --

Dan

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 831
Re: Just my 2 cents

Leaving Olympus to go to Pentax is like trading in your reliable (but old) Honda Civic for a different Honda Civic of the exact same year. At least you know what's going on with the Honda you already own.

If you're going to leave Olympus, you better go to Nikon or Canon FF. Period.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Karaya Senior Member • Posts: 2,036
Agree 100%

Doctor Lecter wrote:

Leaving Olympus to go to Pentax is like trading in your reliable (but old) Honda Civic for a different Honda Civic of the exact same year. At least you know what's going on with the Honda you already own.

If you're going to leave Olympus, you better go to Nikon or Canon FF. Period.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

I could not agree more. If you are going to split from the program you might as well go all the way. As 4/3 began to languish I considered going micro4/3 as it would be a different system, but I didn't want to feel like I was Olympus's bitch, so I got a Canon 5D MKIII. It is strong where my E-5 is weak i.e. high ISO shooting and much more sophisticated AF system. A K-5II would only nail half that equation. Plus there are many truly lust worthy lenses for Canon - with Pentax not so much.

Karaya's gear list:Karaya's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +3 more
IanDavis Regular Member • Posts: 418

I have to disagree with the people saying going Pentax K-5 ii wouldn't be much different. If we're talking AF system, I would agree. However, the sensor of the K-5 is a significant improvement over the E-5. Don't get me wrong, I love my E-5 and E-3, but going Pentax is a leap forward if dynamic range is his main concern.

If gear weight and attention are also of concern, I would say go OMD which appears to not be far behind the K-5 imo, however the K-5 does have significant DR at iso80 (if that matters to you) while the OMD lowest iso (to my knowledge) is 200.

Either way, whether or stick with the E-5, buy an OMD or go for the K-5 ii, I'm sure you will enjoy your shooting.

IanDavis's gear list:IanDavis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 +3 more

I meant Av for Aperature priority - which is what I default to when I get confused - Constant ISO and let shutter speed float.  The program mode was confusing me, but you explained it well. With such a range of usable ISO the Tv mode sounds interesting.

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

I have in budget another lens but I may go for the fisheye first for Machu Picchu - you can walk up to fairly close range of the wildlife in the Galapagos

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

audiobomber

DaveP E1 wrote:

With such a range of usable ISO the Tv mode sounds interesting.

I'm sure you meant TAv mode. I use it mostly for two situations.

1. Low ambient light: If I shoot in Aperture mode, the camera often chooses too high a shutter speed. If I shoot in Tv mode, the camera will open the aperture all the way. The FA 50mm 1.4 for example is soft wide open, so I like to shoot at 1.8 or 2.0. With TAv mode and this lens, I could select say 1/30s and f2, and the ISO floats.
  2. Long tele: I like to stop down for sharpness and DOF, and I need to freeze motion and reduce shake, so I use TAv to make the exposure and let the ISO climb.
-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber

DaveP E1 wrote:

I have in budget another lens but I may go for the fisheye first for Machu Picchu - you can walk up to fairly close range of the wildlife in the Galapagos

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

Do you mean the DA 10-17mm? That lens is a hoot. And it's almost rectilinear at the long end if you center your horizon.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads