Odd composition, what did you think?

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions
Carlos Rivera Regular Member • Posts: 256
Odd composition, what did you think?
2



 Carlos Rivera's gear list:Carlos Rivera's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +1 more
apaflo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,854
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

Carlos Rivera wrote:

I liked it in an instant; but frankly the more I look at that and think about what it shows, the more appealing it is visually.

Despite being a BW image with blocked shadows in the trees and her hair, the cloudy sky and the huge area of middle tones with that bright fence right down the middle is just fascinating in effect.  The same is true of having a very short amount of positive space in front of her, and a large amount of negative space, which is balanced by the shadows of the trees against the open area of the field on the right.

Overall it is really "warm" and "fuzzy", and that just leaves a very nice feeling about the subject.

Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 4,455
Good composition

Yes, it works well in my opinion.  The converging lines of the fence, the trees and the horizon are attractive and the whole composition has a good balance to it.

Just a tad oversharpened to my taste, but I'm not sure that most people would agree with me.

markforce Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

Carlos Rivera wrote:



Nice. I wonder what this photo would look like if you had lowered your position, bend down to your knees or something. Her legs might be in it, the fence might come out on the middle/upper band of the left frame through the different perspective. Just a thought. Nice pic though.

OP Carlos Rivera Regular Member • Posts: 256
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

apaflo wrote:

Carlos Rivera wrote:

I liked it in an instant; but frankly the more I look at that and think about what it shows, the more appealing it is visually.

Despite being a BW image with blocked shadows in the trees and her hair, the cloudy sky and the huge area of middle tones with that bright fence right down the middle is just fascinating in effect. The same is true of having a very short amount of positive space in front of her, and a large amount of negative space, which is balanced by the shadows of the trees against the open area of the field on the right.

Overall it is really "warm" and "fuzzy", and that just leaves a very nice feeling about the subject.

I took the photo working and trying to improve my composition skills and taking advantage of the sunset. Working with the model was a difficult task (she is my wife) but some how everything workout and I was able to create this unique photo.

 Carlos Rivera's gear list:Carlos Rivera's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +1 more
jmiller1948
jmiller1948 Contributing Member • Posts: 925
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

Very good composition, IMO.  I like it a lot.  I don't think lowering you position would help; that would make the line of the fence wrong.

-- hide signature --

Joel
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

 jmiller1948's gear list:jmiller1948's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
vkyr2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,499
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

Carlos Rivera wrote:



Interesting composition, which due to the dark and light areas, the applied vignette and the main subjects front placement draws the observers attention into the second thirds. This way it somehow seems to already enhance the available depth effect. - Works for me!

-- hide signature --

Valentino

OP Carlos Rivera Regular Member • Posts: 256
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

jmiller1948 wrote:

Very good composition, IMO. I like it a lot. I don't think lowering you position would help; that would make the line of the fence wrong.

-- hide signature --

Joel
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

I agreed, the line of the fence would it be too height.

 Carlos Rivera's gear list:Carlos Rivera's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +1 more
Blownvette
Blownvette Regular Member • Posts: 287
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

apaflo wrote:

Carlos Rivera wrote:

I liked it in an instant; but frankly the more I look at that and think about what it shows, the more appealing it is visually.

Despite being a BW image with blocked shadows in the trees and her hair, the cloudy sky and the huge area of middle tones with that bright fence right down the middle is just fascinating in effect. The same is true of having a very short amount of positive space in front of her, and a large amount of negative space, which is balanced by the shadows of the trees against the open area of the field on the right.

Overall it is really "warm" and "fuzzy", and that just leaves a very nice feeling about the subject.

I agree with this assessment.  I often shoot portraits with wide angle to tell a story.  I think you have done a nice job here.

Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

Love the composition.  At the same time, your wife is a lovely woman and this pose, does not show that off as well as it could.  The lower hand position twists her arm adding a less attractive shadow.  The upper hand should be positioned sideways.  Her head should tilt in.  It might be better if you could lower the back shoulder (have her stand on something?) and turn her hips toward the fence.  That is a lot of setup to ask a wife, vs. a model, but the end result might be she'll like the picture better and be a more willing model in the future.

OP Carlos Rivera Regular Member • Posts: 256
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Love the composition. At the same time, your wife is a lovely woman and this pose, does not show that off as well as it could. The lower hand position twists her arm adding a less attractive shadow. The upper hand should be positioned sideways. Her head should tilt in. It might be better if you could lower the back shoulder (have her stand on something?) and turn her hips toward the fence. That is a lot of setup to ask a wife, vs. a model, but the end result might be she'll like the picture better and be a more willing model in the future.

Thanks Daniel for the critique, I took that photo after 2:30 hours drive to Camp Satiago, in Salinas, Puerto Rico a National Guard army base and while waiting to see our oldest son we took few photos, so actually if you can see in the photo my wife was tired, however she said that next time she will follow your recomendations. Here is better picture of her.

 Carlos Rivera's gear list:Carlos Rivera's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +1 more
Priscilla Messinger Senior Member • Posts: 2,992
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

I agree about the hands. This is how I would have cropped it:

This way, the leading lines lead to her. In the original, they lead away from her.

-- hide signature --
Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

Carlos Rivera wrote:

Thanks Daniel for the critique, I took that photo after 2:30 hours drive to Camp Satiago, in Salinas, Puerto Rico a National Guard army base and while waiting to see our oldest son we took few photos, so actually if you can see in the photo my wife was tired, however she said that next time she will follow your recomendations. Here is better picture of her.

Your wife has gorgeous eyes and you did a great job of capturing them in that shot.  I would lose the colored pillow, and especially the white tag that is sticking out and really distracting.  You are lucky to have such a lovely wife and model.

apice
apice Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

I like the composition of this. Its a good shot.

The one thing that I don't like is the burned side of the print where the subject is. If its gonna be portrait of a lady, then make the most of the lady with the exposure and post editing. Tone down the background trees a bit and dodge the lady will bring pop to the subject

-- hide signature --

thanks,
Apice
http://apicephoto.com/
E.P.T.A.S.

 apice's gear list:apice's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Miker Reid8 Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

Looks ok to me except the lighting leads the eye to the wrong place in the photo. The brightest area should be the subjec (lady) not the center of the portrait where there is no subject.

-- hide signature --

http://www.facebook.com/mike.reid.330
www.alloutdoor.smugmug.com
www.aoboudoirboise.smugmug.com

OP Carlos Rivera Regular Member • Posts: 256
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

apice wrote:

I like the composition of this. Its a good shot.

The one thing that I don't like is the burned side of the print where the subject is. If its gonna be portrait of a lady, then make the most of the lady with the exposure and post editing. Tone down the background trees a bit and dodge the lady will bring pop to the subject

-- hide signature --

thanks,
Apice
http://apicephoto.com/
E.P.T.A.S.

I do agreed with your critique, I will work on the post editing and follow your recommendation, to see if the overall composition improve

 Carlos Rivera's gear list:Carlos Rivera's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +1 more
allPhoto New Member • Posts: 17
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

why odd? I think its perfect

ripleysbaby Contributing Member • Posts: 955
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

allPhoto wrote:

why odd? I think its perfect

+1

ktownbill Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
Re: Odd composition, what did you think?

Carlos Rivera wrote:



This shot is so very nice!  A brilliantly composed composition. The blocked up shadows in the trees keeps your eyes on the subject yet you know the trees are there. The diagonals and vanishing point is real candy for the eyes.

Well done.

Bill

-- hide signature --

img7d

kgbruce01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,245
Very standard composition, nothing 'odd' at all

Carlos Rivera wrote:



Very normal, cookie cutter, nothing odd in the slightest, seen a gazillion times.

Nice photo, though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads