18-70mm won't focus. What is the likely repair cost? (Nikon Canada)

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions
macwrite Regular Member • Posts: 487
18-70mm won't focus. What is the likely repair cost? (Nikon Canada)

The Story

I took out my D7000+18-70mm out of my Boaq I take everywhere, not having been used since i took photos of my old high-school fenced off before being demolished (sniff sniff). I take it out to show my boss how I can use it to shoot client interview videos. BAMM! the lens won't focus, I change to manual same thing. I hear the motor in side going, but the focus distance window won;t change. The focus ring does nothing either. I tried my 50mm 1.8 and it worked just fine.

I live in Vancouver BC, and I know I will have to take it into Nikon (when I have the money as my income is shrinking and I am not allowed to earn much on Disability…anyways.

What would a repair cost for this lens? I also cracked the lens hood ring back in September 2007 when I fell off that 1998 Nova but head first (no hand bars on the back doors I found out too late). I assume it would be a flat rate cost, but how much……and is it worth saving (since I will have to scrape for this repair)?

Thanks all. This also is my only DX lens (wink wink) 70-300mm VRII

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andreas Berglund Contributing Member • Posts: 834
Re: 18-70mm won't focus. What is the likely repair cost? (Nikon Canada)

Having just sent in a few lenses for estimtes, through Richmond I can safely say that it will cost to much to get it repaired compared to getting another used one on Ebay or craigslist. They are in the $100 range on Ebay if you are lucky, and they are worth it they are as good a little kitlens as Nikon has ever made in mu opinion.

-- hide signature --

Andréas Berglund delapsus resurgam

Andreas Berglund's gear list:Andreas Berglund's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D2X Nikon D800E Nikon D3200 Nikon D7100 +24 more
Sammy Yousef
Sammy Yousef Veteran Member • Posts: 4,655

macwrite wrote:

The Story

I took out my D7000+18-70mm out of my Boaq I take everywhere, not having been used since i took photos of my old high-school fenced off before being demolished (sniff sniff). I take it out to show my boss how I can use it to shoot client interview videos. BAMM! the lens won't focus, I change to manual same thing. I hear the motor in side going, but the focus distance window won;t change. The focus ring does nothing either. I tried my 50mm 1.8 and it worked just fine.

I live in Vancouver BC, and I know I will have to take it into Nikon (when I have the money as my income is shrinking and I am not allowed to earn much on Disability…anyways.

What would a repair cost for this lens?

The labour alone is worth more than the lens. and since Nikon doesn't allow third party repairers forget anyone else doing it cheaply.

Thanks all. This also is my only DX lens (wink wink) 70-300mm VRII

The bad news is I've had the AF on a 70-300VR die as well, and there is some evidence that this is a common problem on that lens. I went through months of pain trying to get it fixed and in the end the repairer ended up selling me a new one at a discount because he was no longer able to get parts from Nikon.

The 18-70 is a good lens. Underrated and much maligned due to it's flaws (vignette wide open at wide angle and distortion - all correctable in post). As another guy suggested get another one used. Lots of people are dropping DX lenses....so plenty of supply.

By the way about 90-95% of my shots are taken with those 2 lenses. I just finished 5 minutes ago finished using the 18-70 for taking shots of my family on a trampoline, and my dogs.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

bseng Regular Member • Posts: 224

Just wanted to chime in to echo what the others have said.  I think this 18-70mm lens is one of the biggest secrets of DX.  A lot of people aren't aware of how good of a lens this is.  The only thing it's missing really is VR.  It's very easy to pick up this lens used in the $125-140 range.

puttin
puttin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,454

I got one from ebay in mint condition for $139, not worth the repair cost to get yours fixed.

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Nikon Coolpix A Canon G3 X Canon G9 X II Pentax K-3 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads