What has happened to Nikon?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 1,757
Re: What has happened to Nikon?

gomoku wrote:

It is a free world and no one forces anyone to buy Nikon.

Not entirely true. Once you have a cupboard full of Nikon glass -- you're kind of stuck. Especially if you really like some of that glass. However, no one is forced to buy this or that particular camera model, I would agree with that. My personal opinion after reading all these forums -- if you can live with an older sensor, their previous generation models, often sold at bargain prices, is a much better bet in terms of workmanship quality, assuming you can come across a copy which hasn't been abused.

papparazzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,996

papparazzi wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

From a number of threads, I have to wonder about you perception of cameras and lenses. You ranted about AF problems, then you posted that you tried the AF-ON only technique and all was good. Now you are ranting again. You seem to think the 24-85 VR is as sharp as the 24-70.

My experience has been that each Nikon DSLR I've owned has been better than the last. With digital I started with a D100. Then got a D2x for higher resolution and other improvements. Made the change to digital FX with a D700. The DR improvement over the D2x was amazing. Now I have a D800E. My first Nikon was a Nikkormat in 1967 and adding a Nikon F in 1970. Then I started favoring medium and large format. A Nikon N90 was mostly used when I needed 35mm color slides.

The D800E has been more than I dreamed possible a few years ago.

The AF on my D800E is more accurate and reliable than any of my previous DSLRs. I guess I've been very lucky with my D800E in that it has not needed any AF fine-tuning and the extreme left AF is as good as one can expect (not a cross sensor). I did have to do some fine tuning on the D700.

The increased sensitivity of PDAF has been noticeable over the D700. The D800E finds focus in situations that surprise me.

With manual focus lenses I can often get more accurate focus with the green dot than I can with the less than stellar LV. Even CDAF seems less reliable than PDAF.

I have no way to judge what other people's D800 and D800E cameras are like. Since some of the major photo pundits say that there are problems, I assume there must be. I doubt that they are as bad as some of the ranters have claimed.

Nikon went through a rough time with the earthquake and tsunami. Their Sendai plant (where the D800E is made) sustained some damage from the earthquake. The tsunami was horrifically devastating to the people of Sendai and the town's infrastructure. This would have affected emplyees of the Sendai plant as well as suppliers Nikon relies on.

Later, the floods in Thailand devastated a Nikon factory.

I would expect that these disasters made things rather difficult for the people of Nikon. Schedules would be interrupted, there would have been problems with supply chains, employee morale would have been affected. It would surprise me if there hadn't been consequences to these disasters.

I'm glad that my D800E is so excellent. I'm sorry for those who have had bad experiences, but it annoys me that some of then are using this forum to vent their frustration over and over and over and over.

So your sample criteria is ONE d800E, which you got lucky. That tell's nothing...sorry.

My guess...you had a lousy d700.

You really need to improve your reading comprehension.

Not really.

papparazzi's gear list:papparazzi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 +10 more
lanefAU
lanefAU Veteran Member • Posts: 6,346

Shotcents wrote:

And before the fanboys react and attack me I'm venting here! It's a valid set of observations for a group forum to DISCUSS Nikon gear. If your cameras work better than your last, GREAT. I'm seriously glad to hear about it. But, as many of us honest folk will admit, all is not well in Nikon-Land. Let's keep this civil and mature. This is MY view.

Up until the D800 my life with Nikon was just about perfect. How perfect? Well, I spent 25K or more EASILY on Nikon cameras and lenses, starting with the D70, D50, D80, and then jumping into the D300, D3, D700, multiple bodies and flashes and two kits I was always comfortable using.

Enter the D800. At first things seem okay, but over the months I was less and less secure with the AF. It was CLEARLY less reliable than the D700 in challenging situations. My friends staunchly defended the D800 (and D4), but one by one they ended up with the same feeling. About half of us sent our cameras back.

My 1st D800 suffers from a MILD left AF issue. I'm sure a lot of people wish their issue was as mild as mine because I've seen far worse. My 2nd D800 was terrible. Left and right side were WAY off. I returned it.

Through various techniques and generally using ONLY the center AF point along with using the AF-ON focus technique, I get fairly reliable results. Images are wonderful, but I don't have that warm feeling I had with the D700 or D3. Some of my friends, who shoot weddings, have abandoned the D800 completely.

NONE of us will buy another D800.

Enter the D600. I DON'T HAVE ONE. But a lot of my friends jumped. Why not? Lower cost high MP second body! It's a nice dream. But what the heck!? Oil on the sensor? Silly amounts of dust along with it. Wet cleanings every other week?

And you can go to ANY major forum and hear about folks trying to get these cameras serviced. We're NOT talking about a small group. Cameras go back 2 or 3 times. Some owners are BLAMED by Nikon and charged. What the deuce?!, as Stewie would say!

So where has this left me? I'll think LONG and hard before buying the next DXXX. I'm absolutely terrified to return my D800 for service. Nikon stock is way down, just like their online reputation. It's a great time for photography, but you have to hope for a good camera in the box as never before.

My D800 is the best DSLR I've owned. But it's also been the worst; fussy, inconsistent and slow. It feels like a work-in-progress. Naturally others will jump in and claim their D800 cameras are perfect, better than sex and whatever. But, as someone else pointed out: Somewhere between the fanboys and the disgruntled owners with bad cameras lies the truth.

Cheers,

Robert

Same here, it was a big mistake on my part to jump early on a new model, should have waited at least a year as I did for my D70, D200 & D700.

-- hide signature --

Veni Vidi Capi (I Came, I Saw, I Captured)
http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries

lanefAU's gear list:lanefAU's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Canon G1 X II Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
t.c. marino Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Re: Exactly

Sutto wrote:

That was my story, except I was too scared to buy either of those cameras. All my friends had issues with them and here in Australia we have no return policy. They told me of weeks with no camera whilst they were getting repaired, then having them back from Nikon service, with apparently no improvement. I did not want to shell out all that dough on a camera I had no confidence in. The D600 felt like a piece of plastic junk.

I travel Asia 6 months of the year and no way wanted to be stuck with something that needed servicing in Myanmar or Cambodia. I ended up getting a mint D3x to accompany my D700. A marvelous camera that reeks of quality and instills me with confidence. If I get mugged over there I can bash them with the D3x - swing it on the strap like a weapon - then go on taking pic's with it, ha ha.

As far as I am concerned, I am happy now using these 'older' incarnations for the next few years until Nikon sort their game out. If it is good enough for Karl Grobl to use them http://karlgrobl.com/blog/ (he recently bought 2 D3s bodies), then its certainly good enough for me.

Good luck on sorting out the issues with the 800.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

amen.bought d600 this past christmast..stellar image quality and dynamic range...im on my third unit,the first 2 returned for the dreaded oil/dust problems,the third copy just back from melville nikon for af issues...and its still not right..im sending it back...my patience is wearing thin with nikon,thank god i still have my reliable never miss a beat d700/d300s bodies...for pete's sake the little plastic d3200 that i use has been perfect with no issues..COME ON NIKON WAKE UP

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

Shotcents
OP Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472

Robin Casady wrote:

From a number of threads, I have to wonder about you perception of cameras and lenses. You ranted about AF problems, then you posted that you tried the AF-ON only technique and all was good. Now you are ranting again. You seem to think the 24-85 VR is as sharp as the 24-70.

I posted that all was improved. And it is. But I do not find the D800 AF as good as the D700, nor does anyone else I know. Let's be realistic. Look at this thread. Don't you SEE the people who are not happy? This was not the case with the D700 and I had that camera from 1st release.

(As for the 24-85vr, yes, in the center of the frame it's so close to the sharpness of the 24-70 and 70-200 as to be hardly significant. I can prove it with samples if you'd like, but I can also point you to a nice online comparison that also agrees. But this is off topic-send me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss)

That's great, Robin. I mean that. I don't wish anyone to have problems with this expensive gear. It's a sinking feeling. But again, look around you. These forums and websites are LOADED with issues on the latest Nikon cameras. Weak AF, left AF out of whack, oil on sensors, cameras DOA and more. And Nikon is utterly silent. When Canon had a couple of early issues with the 5DIII they announced it FAST. I'd feel good if I owned a camera from a company like that.

The AF on my D800E is more accurate and reliable than any of my previous DSLRs. I guess I've been very lucky with my D800E in that it has not needed any AF fine-tuning and the extreme left AF is as good as one can expect (not a cross sensor). I did have to do some fine tuning on the D700.

My D800 requires AF tuning on all lenses. So do most that I hear of. My D700 and D300 only required small amounts of tuning on 1.4 glass as I recall.

I have no way to judge what other people's D800 and D800E cameras are like. Since some of the major photo pundits say that there are problems, I assume there must be. I doubt that they are as bad as some of the ranters have claimed.

Why would you doubt this? I have a camera with what my friends call "a minimal left AF issue."

Top crop is using the left sensor. It doesn't matter what the subject is. The focus error is 100% repeatable. If your camera does not do this then I very glad, Robin.

I'm glad that my D800E is so excellent. I'm sorry for those who have had bad experiences, but it annoys me that some of then are using this forum to vent their frustration over and over and over and over.

Robin, you have the luxury of owning a trouble free D800e. And that's fantastic. But if you're watching the forums you certainly know that something has happened to Nikon. Whether it's Earthquakes, global warming or terrorists, many of us paid a lot of money for gear that is substandard.

Still worse, Nikon has been cryptic and less than helpful in fixing the problems. How many times have you read about owners sending back cameras two or more times? It's incredible that this could be tolerated. So now, and this is particularly sad, I'm AFRAID to get my D800 serviced for fear that it will end up worse. Or that they'll blame me and charge me.

Robin, as my Irish friends like to say, "This is just not on."

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,041

I take strong, very strong, offense at your assertion that saying that my D800/e is nearly perfect makes me a fanboy.

I have 40 years of experience in photography. I know how to use a camera; 35mm, medium format, 4x5 view cameras... Minolta, Nikon, Bronica, etc. My D800 has performed almost flawlessly. That makes me a fanboy?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Edited by moderator to remove improper reference to other forum members

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
Lvlady88 New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Exactly

t.c. marino wrote:

Sutto wrote:

That was my story, except I was too scared to buy either of those cameras. All my friends had issues with them and here in Australia we have no return policy. They told me of weeks with no camera whilst they were getting repaired, then having them back from Nikon service, with apparently no improvement. I did not want to shell out all that dough on a camera I had no confidence in. The D600 felt like a piece of plastic junk.

I travel Asia 6 months of the year and no way wanted to be stuck with something that needed servicing in Myanmar or Cambodia. I ended up getting a mint D3x to accompany my D700. A marvelous camera that reeks of quality and instills me with confidence. If I get mugged over there I can bash them with the D3x - swing it on the strap like a weapon - then go on taking pic's with it, ha ha.

As far as I am concerned, I am happy now using these 'older' incarnations for the next few years until Nikon sort their game out. If it is good enough for Karl Grobl to use them http://karlgrobl.com/blog/ (he recently bought 2 D3s bodies), then its certainly good enough for me.

Good luck on sorting out the issues with the 800.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

amen.bought d600 this past christmast..stellar image quality and dynamic range...im on my third unit,the first 2 returned for the dreaded oil/dust problems,the third copy just back from melville nikon for af issues...and its still not right..im sending it back...my patience is wearing thin with nikon,thank god i still have my reliable never miss a beat d700/d300s bodies...for pete's sake the little plastic d3200 that i use has been perfect with no issues..COME ON NIKON WAKE UP

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

I also bought the D600 last Christmas, The 1st body had many spots Serial # 303XXX, I had to wait 3 weeks for the 2nd body which had lots of big spots (serial # 601XXX) even sent pictures to Nikon service who said they'd clean it and fix the mirror which could not be locked for cleaning!! right out of the box less than 100 actuations so it went back. I got the 3rd body last Friday and it's going back, the viewfinder is dirty (has a big spot) the mirror is dirty and the spots are showing at f16.. less than 1 week old (serial # 305XXX) , lens changed one time. I tried to blow the dust with a rocket blower and it's not working, the spots are still there.

I am DONE with Nikon, I had bought 3 lenses and they are going back because I can't trust a company that doesn't care about Quality Control or it's customers. All the times I called Nikon CS I was told there were no known issues with the D600 and that I had to pay for shipping, i had to insist that it was Nikon's mistake and they should pay for expedite shipping and they said I could return the camera to my retailer or ship it to them and wait weeks to have a camera back.. what a joke!

Manfred Bachmann Senior Member • Posts: 1,063

Shotcents wrote:

I thought Nikon was leaving the video market to Canon, to concentrate on making the best photo cameras, but in reality Nikon is only worried about their coolpix cameras.

Funny that you say that!

My wife bought me the new P7700 and it's Nikon's first Coolpix camera that I actually like. With it's twin command dials it actually handles better than a D5100/D5200/D3200.

Sadly I agree with everything that you wrote. Nikon is one bad DSLR away from me going to Canon.

I wonder how much of a loss I'll take in the switch? But let's hope they pull it together and I don't have to go down that rough road.

Robert

Why do you think anyone is interested what you will do, if the next nikon body is not for your taste? just curious! The only mistake from nikon was, the d800 is to cheap, and many people with no idea how to use and setup a camera can afford it!

-- hide signature --

Pbase supporter, NPS Austria
http://www.pbase.com/manfred_b/candid

Manfred Bachmann's gear list:Manfred Bachmann's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Prairie Pal Senior Member • Posts: 2,726

lanefAU wrote:

Same here, it was a big mistake on my part to jump early on a new model, should have waited at least a year as I did for my D70, D200 & D700.

I'm in the same boat.  I was late in the game before I actually picked up and experienced the feel and performance of the D700 and then before I knew it they were no longer available.  I regretted not getting one, so when the D600 came out I jumped on it in faith that it was going to be as trouble free and venerable as the D700 despite the plastic build.  That's the last time I ever make that mistake with Nikon.

Prairie Pal's gear list:Prairie Pal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Shotcents

michaeladawson wrote:

I take strong, very strong, offense at your assertion that saying that my D800/e is nearly perfect makes me a fanboy.

I have 40 years of experience in photography. I know how to use a camera; 35mm, medium format, 4x5 view cameras... Minolta, Nikon, Bronica, etc. My D800 has performed almost flawlessly. That makes me a fanboy?

Jerk.

Seriously, Mike?

That's your take on this? That I called people with working cameras "fanboys?"

BTW, I have 30 years of experience shooting large format, and even ran a lab in the 80's. What the heck does that have to do with Nikon's QC?

Read the forums, Mike. This did not occur with the D700 or D3 or D300.

Robert

John M. Polston Senior Member • Posts: 2,638

I am about to do something I never thought I would. Replace my D700(lenses, flashes, etc.) with a Canon 5DMIII just because of what I've read over the past several months concerning the D800 and D600 debacle(s). Unfortunately I think this is a turning point for Nikon. They had great momentum going with their FX cameras and then something changed. I am sure they will survive but this will definitely hurt them. A few years ago when it was pretty much just Nikon and Canon fighting it out they would trade licks. Now with Sony competing, they are just waiting for Nikon or Canon to slip a little. Canon has done one thing and that is continue to improve their cameras on a decent pace. 5D - Good, 5DmII - Really Good, 5DmIII - Great. Nikon, D700 - Really Good (maybe one of the best cameras Nikon has ever made), D800 - Leading MP, terrible AF. It really comes down to the fact that Nikon thought that they could take the crazy 36MP sensor (aka lipstick) and skimp on AF (aka putting the lipstick on the pig) it would fly. They are probably now wishing they would have spent less time investment on the sensor and focussed on AF performance.

I just never thought the day would come where I would convert to Canon. Believe me, if the 5DmIII is not the cat's meow, I will be back in a couple of years if Nikon get's their act together. They definitely won't hurt by just losing my business though.

-- hide signature --

John M. Polston Atlanta, GA

Shotcents

Manfred Bachmann wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

I thought Nikon was leaving the video market to Canon, to concentrate on making the best photo cameras, but in reality Nikon is only worried about their coolpix cameras.

Funny that you say that!

My wife bought me the new P7700 and it's Nikon's first Coolpix camera that I actually like. With it's twin command dials it actually handles better than a D5100/D5200/D3200.

Sadly I agree with everything that you wrote. Nikon is one bad DSLR away from me going to Canon.

I wonder how much of a loss I'll take in the switch? But let's hope they pull it together and I don't have to go down that rough road.

Robert

Why do you think anyone is interested what you will do, if the next nikon body is not for your taste? just curious! The only mistake from nikon was, the d800 is to cheap, and many people with no idea how to use and setup a camera can afford it!

Well, some people are interested because they also have issues. You might have a look at this and many other threads.

OH, but just in case I don't know how to calibrate the AF on my D800, why not help us out?

Here are the shots AGAIN

The 1st is from the left AF point. The 2nd from the center. This result is 100% repeatable regardless of target type. If I fine tune the for the left sensor then the middle is off.

Solution?

Robert

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,293
Great cameras, Gold Awards, Standard Setting Image Quality, the Usual Stuff.

Another thread where everyone with a Nikon problem the world over, all fifty of you, can huddle together and bitch about Nikon, hosted as usual by the peripatetic and indefatigable Robert.  Have fun venting, boys, but know who you're hanging out with.

I shan't be back.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,041

Shotcents wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Jerk.

Seriously, Mike?

That's your take on this? That I called people with working cameras "fanboys?"

BTW, I have 30 years of experience shooting large format, and even ran a lab in the 80's. What the heck does that have to do with Nikon's QC?

Read the forums, Mike. This did not occur with the D700 or D3 or D300.

Robert

Here's a quote taken directly from your original post.

"Naturally others will jump in and claim their D800 cameras are perfect, better than sex and whatever. But, as someone else pointed out: Somewhere between the fanboys and the disgruntled owners with bad cameras lies the truth. "

Maybe you didn't mean it this way, but this directly implies that anyone claiming they have no problems with their D800 is a fanboy.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson"

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,334
This is funny

After seeing an INCREDIBLE amount of Nikon bashing from you through the years.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
John Cerra2 Regular Member • Posts: 289
I bought a D600 two months and 3500 shots ago.

Almost all of my shooting has been high school basket, a nationally ranked team. Very fast theshowing proving to me that the D600 is a bit too slow to be a reliable fast AF sports camera.  That is my compliant.

But I knew that going into this, I am  primarily a scenic shooter.

I have cleaner the sensor a lot, use the blower after every session.

The camera is otherwise amazing. I have gotten great action shots, and have been able to shoot at ISO 3200 and blow the shots up to 24x36 monitor size and the look great.

I have owned top notch gear since 1976. Four Konica T3's and and FT, a Nikon F and N60. A Sony Nex5. A Nikon D70, D200, and d300s.  I do not say thIs lightly. The D600 is by far the best imaging camera I have ever owned. The d300s has some faster specs, but it cannot touch the iq of the D600.

If that makes me a fanboy, so be it.

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting aD300s, a D200, D70 and N50. Have a 'F.'
Also shooting with Konica 35mm SLRS (T3 and FT-1) with numerous Hexanon Lenses. Printer: Canon i9900.

Lvlady88 New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Great cameras, Gold Awards, Standard Setting Image Quality, the Usual Stuff.

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Another thread where everyone with a Nikon problem the world over, all fifty of you, can huddle together and bitch about Nikon, hosted as usual by the peripatetic and indefatigable Robert. Have fun venting, boys, but know who you're hanging out with.

I shan't be back.

Really? I am new to the forum and new to Nikon and want to learn and know if what I experienced with my 3 D600s bodies is a common thing from Nikon or not. I doubt is only 50 people that are having issues!

So now, people can't complain because they got a defective product just because YOU don't want to hear about it? I got 3 defective cameras and I think it's important to post MY EXPERIENCE  so people like who is wondering about getting the D600 know what's going on, whether  you like it or not.

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,293
Re: Great cameras, Gold Awards, Standard Setting Image Quality, the Usual Stuff.

No, no, complain loud and long.  Very theraputic, I'm sure, so have at it.  Return all the "defective" cameras you want and post a second hundred threads about it. Have fun with it.  Robert is here for you.  He cares, deeply.

I don't.

Over and out.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
wombat779 Regular Member • Posts: 210

For whatever its worth, I have had essentially no problems at all with my D800E. Its focusing has been fast, very reliable, and very consistent with all focus points. Compared to my former 5D2 (which was a great camera, just not for me), I find it amazing how high my keeper rate is, even when shooting wide open on moving targets with fast (1.8) primes. I have tested all my lenses carefully, and so far only one lens needed -2 fine tuning.

On the general Nikon QC front, I haven't personally seen any major issues. I did buy a 16-35 vr that had some obvious focus issues (it would "hang" for a second or two before initiating focus, and occasionally make a sound like the gears on the AF motor were slipping not catching). Other than that, I have bought about 10 different Nikon lenses, flashes, etc. in the last few months and they have all been fine out of the box. Maybe they will fail after longer use but, looking at the lensrentals repair data, Nikon's stuff doesn't seem much worse that anyone else's except for some specific issues (D800 battery door, 70-200 tripod foot).

My bigger concern with Nikon is the some of the stories I have read about Nikon USA's recent service. I am hopeful that (i) I don't have any need to use them for a long time and (ii) that they sort themselves out by then. Service is important, and I think they are doing themselves a disservice by letting it slip.

Not sure if any of this makes me a "fanboy" or not.  All I know is that, overall, I am very satisfied with my decision to move to Nikon.

CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699

Robin Casady wrote:

My experience has been that each Nikon DSLR I've owned has been better than the last. With digital I started with a D100. Then got a D2x for higher resolution and other improvements. Made the change to digital FX with a D700. The DR improvement over the D2x was amazing. Now I have a D800E. My first Nikon was a Nikkormat in 1967 and adding a Nikon F in 1970. Then I started favoring medium and large format. A Nikon N90 was mostly used when I needed 35mm color slides.

The increased sensitivity of PDAF has been noticeable over the D700. The D800E finds focus in situations that surprise me.

With manual focus lenses I can often get more accurate focus with the green dot than I can with the less than stellar LV. Even CDAF seems less reliable than PDAF.

Nikon went through a rough time with the earthquake and tsunami. Their Sendai plant (where the D800E is made) sustained some damage from the earthquake. The tsunami was horrifically devastating to the people of Sendai and the town's infrastructure. This would have affected emplyees of the Sendai plant as well as suppliers Nikon relies on.

Later, the floods in Thailand devastated a Nikon factory.

I would expect that these disasters made things rather difficult for the people of Nikon. Schedules would be interrupted, there would have been problems with supply chains, employee morale would have been affected. It would surprise me if there hadn't been consequences to these disasters.

I am with Robin on this.  Similar paths, but I started with a Zeiss Contax II in 1968.  These post have made me a little crazy!  Even today, I once again tested my two D800e's just to make sure....once again both are as good as I expect.  These cameras simple amaze me at how well and fast they focus, especially in low light.  Perhaps  because I am coming from D1x, D2x, and d90 never having the opportunity to use the D3, D700,  etc. my judgment is bias?  My D800e's are the finest cameras I have ever owned.

I agree with Robin on the hardships endured by Nikon the company and Nikon the people.  I for one think it amazing anything has come out of the destruction.  Well stated Robin.

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads