Damn @#$%^&* EM5 EYECUP!!!!!

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
agogo Contributing Member • Posts: 595
Damn @#$%^&* EM5 EYECUP!!!!!

Lost mine yesterday - frustrating! Came off whilst hanging on my shoulder, I think the strap flipped it off.

You'd think that with all the complaints about the 4/3 eyecups always coming off (lost a few of those - only a few because I had extraordinary luck finding them when retracing my steps) that Oly would have developed a better way of securing them to camera.

You look at the amazing technology and engineering in something like the EM5 or a DSLR, and yet something so simple gets overlooked. Surely they could have some sort of latch that can be more secure - one that you need a micro-screwdriver to lever open to get the eyecup off - or something similar.

Anyways, have to get another. Might buy a handful because I can see myself probably losing them often.

I noticed that there is another more substantial eyecup for the EM5. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any good?

Wallybipster Senior Member • Posts: 1,521
Re: Damn @#$%^&* EM5 EYECUP!!!!!

It seems to me like the Em-5 eyecup is way tighter than the 4/3s DSLR's that always lost them.  I've appreciated that fact.  I've never knocked mine completely off, but I have dislodged it slightly.  THis only came up when I was being very careless in swinging the camera rather violently around while trying to work out an awkward tangle of backpack shoulder straps and camera straps, and I really should've been being a bit more careful.

Considering how often the camera dangles on my neck ore elswhere for long periods, the eyecup thing is a non-issue for me at this time.  Hopefully they are cheap enough to replace, like the E-620 eyecups were.

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +6 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,324

Hello

I have two OMD. On the firat one the rubber part came off after a few months of use ( and I NEVER use it around my neck) and now on this trip the other part has come off too

on my second omd the rubber part is also now ungluing

I had issues with both my E3. This issue has been documented in several serious reviews. truth is , this is a very sloppy detail manufacturing on the part of Olympus and certainly is a well documented drawback

and no this happen even if you are careful

it is just a question of time

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR II +22 more
ju_ju
ju_ju Senior Member • Posts: 1,077

I have not found this to be the case. I read this problem often and  from my own stand point bewildered. I do though recognise that many have this issue and for them it is a  real pain . I do wonder if they did a modification at some point. Mine was purchased about last August and only yesterday in a second hand camera shop I wanted to see if a right angle finder would fit the camera. I took quite a while to get my eye cup off. I had previously tried when reading these threads often posted about the loss. Hope I have not spoken to soon, but do wonder if at some  point Oly did change the design of the eye cup itself to fit better. Just a thought. Not good to have this hassle.

ju_ju's gear list:ju_ju's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +25 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 36,108

agogo wrote:

I noticed that there is another more substantial eyecup for the EM5. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any good?

It gives more purchase for the gaffer's tape used to hold the suckers in place, once and for all.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
Thomas Kachadurian
Thomas Kachadurian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,645

Before you put on the new one use a tooth pick to apply a dot of black silicone caulk on each side of the little rails.

Mine hasn't moved a bit in six months, but I lost 4 of them before I did this.

Tom

-- hide signature --

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

Thomas Kachadurian's gear list:Thomas Kachadurian's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
OP agogo Contributing Member • Posts: 595
Great ideas Bob and Thomas!

Thanks for the photo, too of the alternate eyecup. It's a bit hard to tell what it's like from the front-on pics on the web.

I noticed that there are small rectangular holes just behind the lugs for the eyecup. Would it be dangerous in any way if some silicone got in there?

Cheers

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
Never had mine

pop off, but the rubber part started to peal away from the frame on one side- casualty of a too snug pocket a while back.  a couple dabs of super glue seems to have done the trick for now.  Might be time to order a replacement tho.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +2 more
SidSnot
SidSnot Senior Member • Posts: 1,002
Re: Never had mine

Have almost lost mine a couple of times, now it's glued on with a small touch of araldite...

No, the bigger version of the eyecup is no better, in fact it's worse due to it's increased size giving more leverage...

Very bad design Olympus! Just as bad as the useless flash covers - have lost the black blanking plate and almost lost the rubber seal for the acc port too.

I see the owner of the OMD in the pic above has also lost the flash cover!

This *mess* coupled with the rubbish menu system and lack of direct access to Custom settings means I will never buy another Olympus, next time it's back to a Panasonic model...

SidSnot's gear list:SidSnot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +4 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
The one on the VF2 is pretty secure

And it had better be -- it costs a bomb as an extra! 

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,458

My E-M5 has nearly 10,000 photos on it so far.  I haven't lost the eyecup, but just a few weeks ago I had to pull it off and glue on one side of the rubber cup back to the metal part.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,458

SidSnot wrote:

I see the owner of the OMD in the pic above has also lost the flash cover!

Just maybe like me just remove the flash cover and place it in a cabinet at home to never be used again.    Then again I remember the day long ago when there was no such thing as a hotshoe cover.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
SeeRoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,666

Black electrical insulation tape is a better solution than gaffer tape as you can remove it without leaving adhesive deposits behind. Gaffer adhesive deteriorates with age.

Roy

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 36,108
Yea. . .

Roy,

I've never used Gaffer's tape before, but I had a sense I shouldn't leave it on more than one season for that reason (thought it looks good for at least a years leaving it, since I re-did the tape using the first patchwork as a template).  Thanks for mentioning it.   But unless I can wrap the tape very tight upon itself (and on the eyecup), it won't adhere like the gaffer's does now.

I can't quite picture where Thomas applied his adhesive, but I think it should become apparent when I have the eyecup off again.   I didn't have silicon based adhesive in mind when I considered glue earlier, and wasn't sure what should be used that would last, but that makes sense.

Though, there's no mistaking that's my camera.  I think I may miss the character the tape imparts.  Sure, it's ugly, but it's my baby [g].

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads