Sensor dust and the G5

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,387
Sensor dust and the G5

I getting very frustrated with the level of muck that finds itself onto my G5 sensor.  I thought it was meant to have a similar cleaning ability as the swd on my Oly E620 but apparently not. It is very light stuff because a few passes with the blower bush and a flick over with a lens cloth and it's all gone but the camera seems incapable of dealing with it on its own.

Is this just a thing with mirrorless cameras.

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Olympus E-620 (EVOLT E-620) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 8,910
Re: Sensor dust and the G5

Hmm, that seems very unusual to me.  I've had to clean only one of my sensors in the past two years, and that was because it came with a big glob o dust stuck on the sensor, right out of the box.

I wonder if the automatic dust shaker/remover in your camera is perhaps not working?

-J

Trevor Carpenter
OP Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,387

jalywol wrote:

Hmm, that seems very unusual to me. I've had to clean only one of my sensors in the past two years, and that was because it came with a big glob o dust stuck on the sensor, right out of the box.

I wonder if the automatic dust shaker/remover in your camera is perhaps not working?

-J

I had considerde that but I can't think of many way of testing

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,341

I've used G-series cameras for years, including the G5. Never seen anything like what you describe.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717

jalywol wrote:

Hmm, that seems very unusual to me. I've had to clean only one of my sensors in the past two years, and that was because it came with a big glob o dust stuck on the sensor, right out of the box.

-J

I'm with Jalywol on this one - never had any sensor dust on my M43s camera but seem to spend half my free time cleaning the sensor on my M9. In my experience mirrorless cameras (from Oly, Panny, Sony and Fuji) are all a bit better than DSLRs (or other ILCs) for dust removal. I'm pretty sure they all use variants of the Oly dust removal system (which is excellent).

EDIT: I change lenses a lot outside in windy conditions. So if there was a systemic problem I would have it.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Trevor Carpenter

Here's an example from today PPd deliberately to show all the dust, not a minor problem. I've cleaned it now but I'll keep an eyen open to see how long it is before I notice it again.

-- hide signature --
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Here's an example from today PPd deliberately to show all the dust, not a minor problem. I've cleaned it now but I'll keep an eyen open to see how long it is before I notice it again.

-- hide signature --

Trevor, that is really, really bad. I've never seen that much dust on a M43s sensor (it looks like my M9 the time I took it out in a storm and changed lenses). I would contact panasonic service ASAP.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218

Whoa! Tht;s nasty. I;ve had to clean a single bit of gunk off my E=PL3 sensor just once. No other problems with dust despite the fact that I operate in pretty dusty conditions some of the time.

Given that others report no problems with their G5s, Trevor, it does look as though your camera is faulty.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 8,910

Holy cow, that is BAD.

I definitely think you need to contact Panasonic service.   None of my M43s have ever looked like that, (and I am on #5 now)....

-J

JoeVC Contributing Member • Posts: 703

Setup Menu, Sensor cleaning feature enables you to initiate a manual sensor cleaning routine. Try that a few times and see if it makes any difference.

~Joe

Trevor Carpenter

JoeVC wrote:

Setup Menu, Sensor cleaning feature enables you to initiate a manual sensor cleaning routine. Try that a few times and see if it makes any difference.

~Joe

Yes thanks, I've found that

Next time I see a problem, I'll try switching on and off a couple of times and if it doesn't clear try initiating it like you say.

-- hide signature --
robonrome
robonrome Senior Member • Posts: 2,219

Trevor, are u saying you use a lens cloth to clean sensor? If so that could be part of the problem. I'd never put a lens cloth near a sensor, they're fine dust magnets. I''ve had no dust probs on my G5, I use article butterfly.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads