Cheap legacy wide angle/fisheye lenses?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
squirrelyfox Forum Member • Posts: 60
Cheap legacy wide angle/fisheye lenses?

Hi all,

Having followed the forum for awhile, I'm well aware of the multitude of great and cheap legacy glass out there. I'm wondering though if there are similarly priced and decent quality wide angle/fisheye lenses out there as well?

If anyone has any samples or links to pages with samples of said lenses as well please let me know. Thanks!

squirrelyfox's gear list:squirrelyfox's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
kev777zero
kev777zero Senior Member • Posts: 1,557
Re: Cheap legacy wide angle/fisheye lenses?

check out the Rokinon/Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye lens. Not exactly legacy lens but manual focus. A VERY decent fisheye at only a fraction the cost & size of other fisheyes. A gold box deal comes around every once in a while on Amazon for ~$250USD

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony RX100 III +4 more
alterstill
alterstill Regular Member • Posts: 331

squirrelyfox wrote:

Hi all,

Having followed the forum for awhile, I'm well aware of the multitude of great and cheap legacy glass out there. I'm wondering though if there are similarly priced and decent quality wide angle/fisheye lenses out there as well?

If anyone has any samples or links to pages with samples of said lenses as well please let me know. Thanks!

Not quite a legacy glass but I am more than happy with fisheye converter for 16mm pancake. It is cheap too.

-- hide signature --
 alterstill's gear list:alterstill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Photozopia
Photozopia Senior Member • Posts: 1,302

No. Never gonna be a wealth of cheap legacy wide-angles or fisheyes for Nex due to the crop factor.

A legacy 16mm FF focal length - although commonly available - is still a pretty extreme lens on 35mm .... but a 'ho-hum' 24mm FOV on APS sensor. And anything much wider than a 16mm (FF) is:

a) rare

b) expensive

c) HUGELY expensive.

Only the Rokinon/Samyang/X Brand fisheyes fall into the 'cheaper' legacy category ... but can be bought for only a little more in Nex mount anyway. Or buy native e-mount lenses - like the 10-18 - probably better value in the long run.

cptrios Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

It also really depends on what "cheap" means. For a lot of people, in the grand scheme of photography equipment, anything under $500 is "cheap." But then there are the actual cheap lenses like any number of the $50 MF nifty fifties out there.

There is that Zenitar-M m42 fisheye that goes for $150-200...but really it'd be worth just spending a bit more for the Samyang 8mm.

Someone already mentioned the SEL16...and while it's far from a great piece of glass, it's still the best WA option you'll get for NEX at that price level, legacy or otherwise. Though if you don't mind going a bit less wide, the Sigma 19 is loads better.

Mojn Contributing Member • Posts: 884

Maybe: Rokkor 21 mm f 2,8

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,506

Photozopia wrote:

No. Never gonna be a wealth of cheap legacy wide-angles or fisheyes for Nex due to the crop factor.

A legacy 16mm FF focal length - although commonly available - is still a pretty extreme lens on 35mm .... but a 'ho-hum' 24mm FOV on APS sensor. And anything much wider than a 16mm (FF) is:

a) rare

b) expensive

c) HUGELY expensive.

Only the Rokinon/Samyang/X Brand fisheyes fall into the 'cheaper' legacy category ... but can be bought for only a little more in Nex mount anyway. Or buy native e-mount lenses - like the 10-18 - probably better value in the long run.

I paid $140 at a local camera shop for a good condition Sigma 14mm/F3.5 in Canon FD mount. It's a big ball of glass on the front, so it does tend to flare pretty easily, but I'm still quite happy with it.

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7 II +7 more
Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 1,797

cptrios wrote:

Someone already mentioned the SEL16...and while it's far from a great piece of glass, it's still the best WA option you'll get for NEX at that price level, legacy or otherwise. Though if you don't mind going a bit less wide, the Sigma 19 is loads better.

I have reached this conclusion as well. While I'm normally a huge fan of legacy glass, owning over 45 legacy lenses in various mounts, some very expensive, I have not yet found a wide lens that performs considerably better than the Sony 16mm in that price bracket. Good, fast and wide legacy glass is normally quite pricey stuff. So for really wide shooting, I will actually resort to SEL16F28, and the VCL-ECU1 and VCL-ECF1 I have just ordered. These may not be brilliant, but should be decent enough for everyday use.

Another option is the Metabones Speed Booster, making fast-ish wide-ish EF lenses fast and wide on the NEX, but the present adapter is just a little bit too expensive, so I will wait for the non electronic version.

Photozopia
Photozopia Senior Member • Posts: 1,302

SQLGuy wrote:

I paid $140 at a local camera shop for a good condition Sigma 14mm/F3.5 in Canon FD mount. It's a big ball of glass on the front, so it does tend to flare pretty easily, but I'm still quite happy with it.

That's a great deal you got - but not really typical. A quick glance through typical eBay sales for second user 14mm Sigma is around £500 average ... about $750. Not that cheap, particularly when a new 'native' 10-18mm can be bought for only £100/$150 or so - plus, 14mm is not much wider than 16mm ... again available cheaply in native e-mount.

Existing (or bargain) legacy lenses might be fine for some purposes - but there are few, if any, truly 'cheap' ultra-wideangles ... that translate to a decent wide FOV on a cropped sensor.

SasoV Junior Member • Posts: 43

kev777zero wrote:

check out the Rokinon/Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye lens. Not exactly legacy lens but manual focus. A VERY decent fisheye at only a fraction the cost & size of other fisheyes. A gold box deal comes around every once in a while on Amazon for ~$250USD

Your images make me want to buy this lens emidiatly!

forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

Not cheap, but super quality wide angle lenses: Nikon 14/2.8D and 17-35/2.8D. And as a bonus, you'll be able to use them on FF camera as well.

SasoV Junior Member • Posts: 43

kev777zero wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinwlyu/

I understand you have or had boat SEL 16mm with fisheye adapter and Samyang 8mm. As I am looking to buy a fisheye I would like to ask you wich one would you sudgest. I dont hawe a 16mm lens yet so I would have to buy a complete set.

Thanks.

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

Legacy wide angle/fisheye lenses are more difficult to find, for less. Among the new lenses however, one of my personal favorites is already mentioned: Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 E (Fisheye), normally selling for $325-350 but occasionally found (esp on Amazon, for $250).

Additionally, there's also a Samyang 14mm lens (which is FF) that should work well. And I believe a Samyang 10mm is also being made available.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
kev777zero
kev777zero Senior Member • Posts: 1,557

SasoV wrote:

kev777zero wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinwlyu/

I understand you have or had boat SEL 16mm with fisheye adapter and Samyang 8mm. As I am looking to buy a fisheye I would like to ask you wich one would you sudgest. I dont hawe a 16mm lens yet so I would have to buy a complete set.

Thanks.

The Samyang beats the SEL16 with fisheye adapter hands down. If all you are going for is the fisheye don't even bother thinking twice, Samyang beats all for fisheye on NEX.

On the other hand if you want wide angle, SEL16 also has a wide angle adapter, which I still use, that is still quite acceptable (obviously less quality than the SEL1018, but at 1/4 the price).

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony RX100 III +4 more
alterstill
alterstill Regular Member • Posts: 331

Mojn wrote:

Maybe: Rokkor 21 mm f 2,8

Unfortunately that's not really wide on NEX.

-- hide signature --
 alterstill's gear list:alterstill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Mojn Contributing Member • Posts: 884

Agree, so what (cheap) legacy or anyhoo lens?

OP squirrelyfox Forum Member • Posts: 60

Thanks for the advice all. That's too bad that there aren't as many cheap options for old glass.

squirrelyfox's gear list:squirrelyfox's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
richiemccaw Contributing Member • Posts: 916

Yeah thats what it seems like to me too. It's very tempting to get the 10-18 but the price is a huge stumbling block.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 80D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tn1krr Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

Another option is the Metabones Speed Booster, making fast-ish wide-ish EF lenses fast and wide on the NEX, but the present adapter is just a little bit too expensive, so I will wait for the non electronic version.

I have the Speed Booster and the Samyang 14/2.8 and while the lens is a real bargain for it's optical quality and with booster gives about same FF equiwalent WA (15 mm as Speedbooster is 1.07 x "crop") as the SEL1018 I've yet to manage to correct it's distortion to satisfactory level. There are profiles for it in the LR4.3 (could be via lens downloader) and PTlens with different cameres that improve things, but obviously they do not take account the Speed Booster that seem to do it's own share in distortion; wheter it is decreasing or ioncreasing it, cannot be sure but it seems to break a bit the Lens profiles I've seen. I'm thinking about creating my own with the Adobe tool (takes some time/setup and we have a new baby in the house) or testing the manual controls in the Dxo Viewpoint.

Gonna check the Samyang with normal Metabones smart adapter that I also have next to see if any of the profiles much look better with it, to figure out the effect the Speedbooster glass has, but with the crop the 14 mm is not that wide anymore so I'm hoping to get the distortion with the Speed Booster under control.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads